HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Transition Year?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-19-2011, 01:48 PM
  #1
Ke11y96
Registered User
 
Ke11y96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 468
vCash: 500
Transition Year?

With the idea's behind getting a top left wing and other potential moves, does anyone else agree that this is merely a transition year for some of the Rangers younger pieces to develop and be on this squad next year? For example

Wolski - Richards - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Fedotenko - Stepan - Zuccarello
Rupp - Boyle - Prust

Wolski, Fedotenko, and Zuccarello after this season are RFA, UFA, and RFA respectively. So rather then trade for someone that would come in here and take 2, 3, 4, or more years from one of our prospects one has to wonder if Sather and the Rangers want to go through this year with a few 1 year stop gaps..Then leading into 2012-2013 have a offensive lineup along the lines of...

Kreider - Richards - Gaborik

*Yes I know Kreider as a first liner in his first year doesn't make sense but he is the ideal forward, size, speed, hands, goal scoring instinct..I think he'll fit just fine like James Neal did with Richards when he first came into the league.

Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan

*This of course could get split up knowing Torts but safe bet is they stay together as a line.

Hagelin - Stepan - Thomas

*Stepan gets a college stud in Hagelin and his own developing sniper in Thomas. Thomas btw could also take a spot away from Zuccarello this training camp imo.

Rupp - Boyle - Prust

*Big line with a simple task. As long as they do it well in this upcoming season they'll all be there for the 2012 season also.

So looking at it strictly from filling within for this Rangers roster, does anyone think Sather would pull the trigger for a different player to fill one of those positions...top left wing, and 3rd line left and right wing??

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 02:14 PM
  #2
TrollololBoyle
Registered User
 
TrollololBoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 2,672
vCash: 500
No, the transition years were the last years of Drury, Rozsival, Redden, Kotalik, Higgins, Voros, etc... the transition was getting rid of those guys and promoting Stepan, McDonagh, and Sauer among others for their very successful rookie seasons.

This year the Rangers can go for it with an extra season under the rookies' belts, and Dubinsky and Callahan coming into their own. You can't always have the best available talent, so if Wolski is the guy you have for LW then so be it. The Rangers can win a cup this year with Wolski on the team, they couldn't do it with Drury, Rozsival, etc... they could even blow the farm at the trade deadline for an elite left winger if they wanted to.

The core is in place.

The farm is strong.

The transition is over.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 02:17 PM
  #3
Ke11y96
Registered User
 
Ke11y96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 468
vCash: 500
See i'm just saying are they one year away from having a complete roster of getting in all the young talent they want..

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 02:20 PM
  #4
MSG the place to be*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,783
vCash: 500
This year is transition for the kids to develop outside the NHL. Next year is a transition year to bring some of the kids up to the big club. The year after is a transition of letting Gaborik's contract run out and signing a new elite forward. Year after that...

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 02:20 PM
  #5
TrollololBoyle
Registered User
 
TrollololBoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 2,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke11y96 View Post
See i'm just saying are they one year away from having a complete roster of getting in all the young talent they want..
I know I what you mean, but that doesn't mean the Rangers are in a transition year. The real transition was the move from overpaid under-performing stars, to the solid homegrown team we have now. I don't think that final 'push-us-over-the-top' piece is available right now, but even if that piece never becomes available, the Rangers still can compete and go deep in the playoffs.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 02:24 PM
  #6
Hensch
Registered User
 
Hensch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
The core is in place.

The farm is strong.

The transition is over.

I agree... let's see how this year pans out, and who surprises, i'm hoping the dude in your avitar makes the team!

Hensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 02:35 PM
  #7
Ke11y96
Registered User
 
Ke11y96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hensch View Post
I agree... let's see how this year pans out, and who surprises, i'm hoping the dude in your avitar makes the team!
It'll be interesting to see who makes it out of Zuccarello, Thomas, and Hagelin

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 02:38 PM
  #8
NYRangers16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Westchester
Posts: 1,047
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke11y96 View Post
See i'm just saying are they one year away from having a complete roster of getting in all the young talent they want..
Transition years are where you are waiting for 4-5-6 guys to come up ...last year was a transition year, the bad contracts coming off, the dev of Stepan, Sauer, McD, further dev of Dubi, Ani, Cally, Staal, etc.

The transition is over. 3 guys being replaced is normal turnover. If anything, the Rangers have very little turnover this year - Richards coming in, so far Boogie, Prospal, and Gilroy going out. Next year, we only have 2 or 3 more guys being replaced...but that's normal turnover in the NHL. We don't need the "perfect" roster to not be in transition - hell, by that definition every team is in transition every year.

I see our roster as being very very good as it is and there isn't much we are lacking. So, no, this is not a transition year.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 02:38 PM
  #9
Ke11y96
Registered User
 
Ke11y96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
This year is transition for the kids to develop outside the NHL. Next year is a transition year to bring some of the kids up to the big club. The year after is a transition of letting Gaborik's contract run out and signing a new elite forward. Year after that...
Haha nice, I just look at the roster and knowing that they wanted Kreider to turn pro last year and didnt, they wanted him this year and didn't. That one has to assume barring any available options at the trade deadline, that the three positions I bolded above are in a sense a transition till the young talent they want to fulfill those roles are ready..

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 02:41 PM
  #10
Ke11y96
Registered User
 
Ke11y96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers16 View Post
Transition years are where you are waiting for 4-5-6 guys to come up ...last year was a transition year, the bad contracts coming off, the dev of Stepan, Sauer, McD, further dev of Dubi, Ani, Cally, Staal, etc.

The transition is over. 3 guys being replaced is normal turnover. If anything, the Rangers have very little turnover this year - Richards coming in, so far Boogie, Prospal, and Gilroy going out. Next year, we only have 2 or 3 more guys being replaced...but that's normal turnover in the NHL. We don't need the "perfect" roster to not be in transition - hell, by that definition every team is in transition every year.

I see our roster as being very very good as it is and there isn't much we are lacking. So, no, this is not a transition year.
Perfect point..I looked at and critiqued the roster based on whats in the system and hearing from that phone conference with Sather, and how we won't be acquiring a top left wing in all likelihood, that it was a "transition year" but you've pretty much summed up what they'll be going through every year. Haha thanks

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 02:48 PM
  #11
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now
 
TonyTheGr8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Morris County, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,073
vCash: 500
I'll be short and sweet, gentlemen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post

The core is in place.

The farm is strong.

The transition is over.
Agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke11y96 View Post
See i'm just saying are they one year away from having a complete roster of getting in all the young talent they want..
AGREE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
I know I what you mean, but that doesn't mean the Rangers are in a transition year. The real transition was the move from overpaid under-performing stars, to the solid homegrown team we have now. I don't think that final 'push-us-over-the-top' piece is available right now, but even if that piece never becomes available, the Rangers still can compete and go deep in the playoffs.

AGREE!!!


As far as a push us over the top piece..Patrick Sharp is an UFA next year. I don't know how you guys feel about him, but I am a big fan. The guy is very clutch.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 04:07 PM
  #12
NYRangers16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Westchester
Posts: 1,047
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke11y96 View Post
Perfect point..I looked at and critiqued the roster based on whats in the system and hearing from that phone conference with Sather, and how we won't be acquiring a top left wing in all likelihood, that it was a "transition year" but you've pretty much summed up what they'll be going through every year. Haha thanks
Np. I mean there's always room for improvement. Prospects developing, trades, signing, etc...though there isn't much I'd add to this team. A legit top LW would be cool, and some D scoring would help. Maybe that's Kreider and MDZ this year and next? Or maybe it's from outside the org. But even without that right now we are strong.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 04:31 PM
  #13
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
For this season, I feel if they can add one winger now or at the deadline, and a veteran RHD as the 6th to play with one of the slew of talented LHD prospects we have, the roster looks ready for a deep run.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.