HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

RotoWorld: Markov signing - Worst of the Summer

Old
07-19-2011, 05:12 PM
habspinner

vCash: 500
RotoWorld: Markov signing - Worst of the Summer

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nh...st-fa-signings

Discuss - I think he doesn't know what he's talking about, but I thought it would make for interesting conversation.

habspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 05:13 PM
Pavelec4MVP
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
lolwut?
leino says hi

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
Pavelec4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 05:14 PM
JimmyDarmody

Not a great article.

The Markov deal was by no way a steal, but it wasn't sodomy either. The Jagr deal also isn't as crippling as they make it out to be.

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 05:20 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Markov deal - best signing of the summer.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 05:20 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Perhaps they were sleeping during the Florida Buying spree.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 05:21 PM
Forsead

The guy don't understand that the best case scenario in this contract Markov would be playing like he was before his injuries and in today market the value of a 7,5 millions defenseman. Which make in the best case scenario a 7 millions cap hit reduction over the 4 years. He also don't seem to understand that even if Markov in on the LTIR well the Habs have the money to pay the salary for player to replace him. He also fail to remember that even in one of the two terribles full of injuries seasons of Markov in one of them he played 45 games and had 34 pts which is about the production of a 4 millions dman now.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 05:21 PM

wtf ??!?

They would have had more of a point with the Cole signing but Markov ? lol. Sure it's a risk due to his history with injuries but if he's healthy he's worth his contract. The writer must be an Habs or Markov hater or something.

131313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by habspinner View Post
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nh...st-fa-signings

Discuss - I think he doesn't know what he's talking about, but I thought it would make for interesting conversation.
If Markov goes back to being relatively healthy(75-80 games) he should be a huge UFA bargain, he only makes 250k more than James Freaking Wisniewski

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 05:23 PM
DAChampion

This isn't unique to sports, but it really annoys me that journalists have no clue.

He lists Ian White as the 2nd best contract signed by any team this summer.

He also seems to think that Markov had one good season. No, he's basically been a great player since 2002-2003.

I think his problem is that he is slow, and that he doesn't get that increased salary caps mean higher payrolls.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 05:25 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
This isn't unique to sports, but it really annoys me that journalists have no clue.

He also seems to think that Markov had one good season. No, he's basically been a great player since 2002-2003.

I think his problem is that he is slow, and that he doesn't get that increased salary caps mean higher payrolls.
Not sure it was the 2nd best, but it was a great signing. Very good cap hit for a d-man that is solid in his own end and can pot 25-40 points.

Old
07-19-2011, 05:28 PM

People laughed at the Habs the last time they signed Markov too...I think it has more to do with the fact that there's still a majority of people who really don't know how good Markov is.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 05:30 PM
Gally11

I think Markov not playing very much the last few seasons has really made people forget how good he is.. Just means no one will see him coming

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 05:35 PM
Protest the Hero

We were talking about this in another thread before, and this part shows this guy pretty much knows nothing: Let's hope for the Canadiens' sake that Markov ends up making this contract look, well, acceptable, because that's as good as it could possibly look.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 05:37 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Never heard of this site, or person who wrote the article.

Apparently Markov's injury history is the only one that's relevant, as Simon Gagné's isn't.

How come Tomas Kaberle isn't in here ?

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 05:47 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

This write-up on Markov is so ridiculous I don't know where to start...Here it goes:

"The Canadiens signed Markov under the assumption that his last two years could never be repeated" -no
"and that he is still a consistent 50-60 point per season player." -yes, among other things

"That might prove to be true, but this contract only makes sense under that best case scenario."
-why? unless the writer is unfamiliar with the fact Markov eats up first D minutes, plays against the other team's top line, etc...

"You can find examples of this throughout pro sports, where a player has a terrible year or two before his contract expires and a team, seeing his potential, decides to sign him as if those years never happened."
-If by "terrible year" he means "injured", he's right. If by "potential", he means "not injured", he's right again.

"Sometimes it works out, but it seems like most bad contracts are born as a result of someone not adequately weighing the possibility that things might not work out perfectly."
-If the writer thinks there wasn't a discount in consideration "things might not work out perfectly", he's either unfamiliar with the market for an elite puck-moving D that plays in all situation and eats up huge minutes or he's unfamiliar that a healthy Markov falls in that category.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 05:50 PM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
People laughed at the Habs the last time they signed Markov too...I think it has more to do with the fact that there's still a majority of people who really don't know how good Markov is.
This.

I laugh when I see other fans trying to describe Markov's play, usually calling him a defensive liability or average in his own zone.

And let's not forget Pierre McGuire's assessment of the Markov-Komisarek relationship, ie that Andrei owed more to Komi than vice versa. Markov's been making average d-men obscenely rich for the past decade.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 05:52 PM
Miller Time

Journalism has it's trolls as well...

this guy clearly is pandering to get extra hits on his article, and let's face it, we've now got a thread about it and hundreds of posters who will click on the link to see it for themselves.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 06:12 PM
habsjunkie2*

I think his assessment is way off and a little all over the place. Not just on the Markov signing, although I do feel it was a riskier signing than most. He has missed a lot of hockey, but the analysis in this article is strange. He has Gagne at 2 yrs 3.5 per as one of the top signings, but Markov with 1 extra year and 2m more as the worst.

I think it would be safe to assume if both play an entire season, Markov would be worth at least twice as much as Gagne. Just one of many flaws in his article imo. To me the risk with Markov isn't in his play, it will be whether or not he can play all year and if he gets a long term injury, we put him on LTIR and are allowed to spend over the cap to make up the difference, limiting the risk a bit. If he plays, he'll be great, like always.

The only bad part with LTIR is it isn't retroactive, so you can only go over the cap by the amount remaining of Markovs cap hit, so if he gets hurt and takes a month to be properly diagnosed and then placed on LTIR we lose that month towards our spending and the likeliness of someone being available to use the extra money aren't good to begin with, but it does allow a little wiggle room.

At least that's my understand of LTIR, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by habsjunkie2*: 07-19-2011 at 06:19 PM.
habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 06:12 PM
La Grosse Tendresse

I honestly don't think he knows he was injured, he just looked at point totals. . .

La Grosse Tendresse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 06:13 PM
Nails Jenkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Journalism has it's trolls as well...

this guy clearly is pandering to get extra hits on his article, and let's face it, we've now got a thread about it and hundreds of posters who will click on the link to see it for themselves.
This post actually stopped me from clicking on the link. Thank you Miller Time.

Nails Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 06:23 PM
Jakomyte

Rotoworld Article - Worst of the Summer

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 06:29 PM
LastRide

I do think Markov should have took less money if he's interested in staying in Montreal. That is no bargain signing, thats for sure.

LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 06:35 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Obviously just a bitter leafs fan or something. Look at the picture, looks like he hasn't even hit puberty yet.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 06:35 PM
Subnordi

If Markov stays healthy this is a great signing...this guys stupid. Andrei get's between 45 and 60 points every full season he plays, he's also great in his own zone, barley makes mistakes, and if he does he quietly makes up for it.

Subnordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 06:45 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post

That cracks me up to be honest because if you look at his stats even for a young D he was tearing it up Subban style.

63gp 6g 17a 23pts
Don't get me wrong he didn't score 15 goals or something. But it's respectable none the less.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote