HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Close To Re-Signing Eminger

Old
07-19-2011, 05:34 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
Good.

Does anyone remember when we first acquired him? How 90% of the board *****ed and moaned about how awful he was, and a few posters tried to tell me he was arguably the worst defenseman in the NHL? Anyone remember that? And I told them he was fine as a bottom pairing defenseman, and that I thought we'd all come around on him? I remember that.

I remember that. I also remember being 110% apathetic about the deal, thinking, cool, an older 7th defenseman. Whatever. Then I started chuckling about how everybody said he's a horrible defenseman that is the last person on the ice to get physical.

Wrong.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 05:57 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Crap.

I wanted to reprise Kalinin.
Is that because Ozolinsh is out of our price range?

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 06:09 PM
PanMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Is that because Ozolinsh is out of our price range?
Actually he is. The minimum salary is like 500k

PanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 06:31 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I'd trade McDonagh in a heartbeat if it meant we were getting fair return at another position...the depth we have at LD is great and IMO Erixon is as close to a lock to make the NHL as a top 4 d-man as you can be. MDZ, Valentenko, etc. in the mix...if the offer was fair, why wouldn't you trade McDonagh?

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 07:05 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Nice. I thought Eminger was solid whenever he played for us (for the most part).

Didn't understand why he was benched in favor of Gilroy, though.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 07:09 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
I remember that. I also remember being 110% apathetic about the deal, thinking, cool, an older 7th defenseman. Whatever. Then I started chuckling about how everybody said he's a horrible defenseman that is the last person on the ice to get physical.

Wrong.
Yep. I'm not trying to gloat, I just thought that was a perfect example of people not knowing what the hell they were talking about. Saying that Eminger is soft and the worst defenseman in the league...I mean, come on!

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 07:14 PM
gotmonte

I am good with this

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 07:17 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
Yep. I'm not trying to gloat, I just thought that was a perfect example of people not knowing what the hell they were talking about. Saying that Eminger is soft and the worst defenseman in the league...I mean, come on!
he was a big let down in his career overall but he obviously had talent given he got a 1st rounder back

at this pt he's a good 6/7. Voros deal was solid. I dont think that bum has even got a 2way deal yet

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 07:42 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

this is the same guy who was benched in favor of girlroy right ? torts didnt seem to trust him nor want to play him much. resigning him is a bit of a surprise to me.

i couldnt understand it at the time. i seemed he would dress girlroy and sit eminger even though i thought steve did a decent job when he played.

dont really have a problem with him, if he plays. i guess hes insurance if someone gets hurt. i really thought he played ok and he does skate pretty well.

still want to see vtank and ktek get a shot though.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 07:49 PM
Garfinkel1

League minimum, 1 year. lol.

Come playoffs were going to be jumping in joy when we have another capable D-man on the roster.

Garfinkel1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 08:39 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Would be surprised if Eminger gets less than 1m.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 09:06 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Would be surprised if Eminger gets less than 1m.
i'll bet ya he gets under. If he wants to stay in the league he'll take less.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
i'll bet ya he gets under. If he wants to stay in the league he'll take less.
What? The guy isn't in danger of not being in the NHL. Not even close. He's not really going to be our 7 next year anyway. He will play over half the season, probably closer to 60 games.

Old
07-19-2011, 09:18 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
What? The guy isn't in danger of not being in the NHL. Not even close. He's not really going to be our 7 next year anyway. He will play over half the season, probably closer to 60 games.
I think that depends on Del Zotto

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 09:23 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
I think that depends on Del Zotto
I don't. Eminger will be on the roster for around 30 games in his own right. He will pick up the rest as an injury fill in.

Old
07-19-2011, 09:47 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Emmy was good for the club last year. Thought he played with the Torts "bite" for most of the season before he battled a few injuries. Its good for the club if hes signed for a reasonable price and can allow the youngsters to fill the top spots. This signing tells us that Erixon and Del Zotto both have a good shot to make the club imo, and def securing a spot for at least one of them.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 10:09 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

I didn't have much of an opinion on him before I saw him play for the Rangers but I was pleased with his play and thought that it was a joke that he was benched in favor of Gilroy and maligned by Tortorella at one point during the season.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 11:42 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
I think he's pretty close to not being in the NHL, these types of guys are a dime a dozen...

Old
07-19-2011, 11:45 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I think he's pretty close to not being in the NHL, these types of guys are a dime a dozen...
Oh, really? So tell me, who would you sign of the remaining RFAs? More specifically, who would you sign over Eminger?

Old
07-20-2011, 12:39 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Oh, really? So tell me, who would you sign of the remaining RFAs? More specifically, who would you sign over Eminger?
If there aren't many players left in free agency that I would sign, or that Sather would sign, doesn't that tell you something about Eminger and whether or not he is barely an NHL caliber defenseman? What makes Eminger any different than Sopel, Nick Boynton, Paul Mara, etc.?

Whether it's a saturated market for 6th/7th d-men or not, you cannot argue that Eminger is barely an NHL caliber player. Sure, he's good to have as a 7th d-man. I'm not advocating against the signing at the right price, but let's not try and sell him as this ultra reliable, ultra consistent guy that we're not going to be cursing out some nights.

Would it really make much of a difference if we substituted Mara or Sopel in Eminger's place? Steve Montador? Freddy Meyer? Craig Rivet?

Old
07-20-2011, 01:52 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

At least a good news this week... Was indifferent when we brought Eminger in but he got the job done.

Quote:
The Blueshirts are close to an agreement to bring back 27-year-old free-agent defenseman Steve Eminger, The Post has learned. Eminger, who earned $1.1 million in his role as sixth or seventh defenseman last year, likely will come in at between $750,000 to $900,000.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1ScrclHbg

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 02:17 AM
darko

Good to hear. Veteran presence that we need. He started off poorly last season but was decent after that.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 02:35 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Dubinsky wants Bobby Ryan money? wtf? 4.5 is overpaying imho. Dubi is a 3.75-4.25mil player.... really he shouldnt be over 4.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 08:33 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Dubinsky wants Bobby Ryan money? wtf? 4.5 is overpaying imho. Dubi is a 3.75-4.25mil player.... really he shouldnt be over 4.
And this is relevant to the Steve Eminger thread how?

I'm going to go ahead and assume you posted in the wrong thread lol...

At $750k, you really can't go wrong with Eminger, a 6/7 guy who can take spot duty on the 2nd pairing. I liked the game he bought last year, and he takes his role on the team without complaining. He can sit in the press box, or he can spell some of our young dmen when they start to tire or falter. Good guy to have around.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 08:57 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I'd trade McDonagh in a heartbeat if it meant we were getting fair return at another position...the depth we have at LD is great and IMO Erixon is as close to a lock to make the NHL as a top 4 d-man as you can be. MDZ, Valentenko, etc. in the mix...if the offer was fair, why wouldn't you trade McDonagh?
Depends on what the trade is, like you say. If the Rangers could get a legit top winger with McDonagh going the other way (and not overpaying in the rest of the trade) then sure. I like McDonagh a lot and think he'll be a great player, but you gotta keep your options open.

However I'd be a little wary about trading him right now since he could get a lot better and be worth a lot more (or we could find that the guys we thought could replace him aren't actually as good)

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
this is the same guy who was benched in favor of girlroy right ? torts didnt seem to trust him nor want to play him much. resigning him is a bit of a surprise to me.

i couldnt understand it at the time. i seemed he would dress girlroy and sit eminger even though i thought steve did a decent job when he played.

dont really have a problem with him, if he plays. i guess hes insurance if someone gets hurt. i really thought he played ok and he does skate pretty well.

still want to see vtank and ktek get a shot though.
Zipay says that Tortorella wants Emminger back...I think it's just a case of Tortorella being Tortorella. He felt Emminger was struggling with his play a little bit so he gave Gilroy a shot and wanted to keep giving him a shot to see if Gilroy could run with it. I don't think Tortorella sees Emminger as a surefire 3rd pairing guy who will always be in there, but he is happy with Emmingers play when he's playing well and doesn't have a problem sitting him if he feels someone else needs a chance.

I think Valentenko and Kundratek are ultimately trade bait in the future, to be honest. The Rangers have too many defensemen and not enough spots and I'm not sold on those two being in the long term plans

Last edited by Levitate: 07-20-2011 at 09:02 AM.
Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote