HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

To all Preds fans...

Old
07-19-2011, 04:59 PM
DocAzura

vCash: 500
To all Preds fans...

Rumour has it Garth Snow is looking to aquire a young, stud defenseman.
And seeing as Suter is a UFA next year, he might be a possibility.

As Preds fans playing armchair G.M., what would you want in return?

And please, keep it real.

DocAzura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 05:10 PM
Predsrule

I'm willing to bet what u call "keep it real" would not work. Let's put it this way same price as weber

Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 05:14 PM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
Islanders don't have anything the Preds would want.

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 05:15 PM
sighthndlady

I dunno. Tavares and a second, maybe?

sighthndlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 05:17 PM
DocAzura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsrule View Post
I'm willing to bet what u call "keep it real" would not work. Let's put it this way same price as weber
Ok, considering you might lose him in the summer, how about Comeau, DeHaan, and next years first?

Don't blast me if you don't like, just tell me what you don't like about it.

Old
07-19-2011, 05:19 PM
Predsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocAzura View Post
Ok, considering you might lose him in the summer, how about Comeau, DeHaan, and next years first?

How do we lose him this summer? I was under the impression players were able to sign contracts. But hey what do I know

Old
07-19-2011, 05:22 PM
DocAzura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsrule View Post
How do we lose him this summer? I was under the impression players were able to sign contracts. But hey what do I know
I'm not saying you're going to lose him, but there is a good chance you might. If Jovo got over 4mil, he's going to go for atleast 7 to 8, long term. I don't believe the Preds will pay that much for him.

So would my proposal be fair compensation then?

Old
07-19-2011, 05:23 PM
sighthndlady

Quote:

Neither of those players fills a hole for Nashville. We need a proven top-6 (really top 3) winger. Maybe at the trade deadline if it's abundantly clear that 1st round pick is going to be in the top three. . .

sighthndlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 05:25 PM
Predsrule

Quote:
I'm not saying you're going to lose him, but there is a good chance you might. If Jovo got over 4mil, he's going to go for atleast 7 to 8, long term. I don't believe the Preds will pay that much for him.

Ownership has said they'd pay that. And even if not I'm willing to bet we would get better offers. If not contending teams don't trade a top 10 D

Old
07-19-2011, 05:26 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:

I think we'd be perfectly fine with paying him 6.5-7ish a year. You have to remember he's as valuable to this team as Weber and Rinne are.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 05:30 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Ugh... I'm getting tired of this idea going around HF Boards that any time a star player in Nashville gets close to UFA status there is a "good chance" we will lose that player...

Hypothetically? NYI won't let go of what it would take to get him in a trade. We need a top line winger. Not a guy who "would play on Nashville's top line", but a legitimate top line winger.

Realistically? Suter doesn't make it to UFA status, at least not because Nashville can't pay him.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 05:34 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Preds fans shouldnt scoff at the idea of a Suter trade.

If Im Poile and Suter wont return my calls about an extension, I quietly talk to a few teams with young talented forwards.

Suter is a stud but with only one year left until UFA sytatus he's not going to fetch a whole lot more than a rental unless Poile gives him permission to discuss an extension with the team getting him.

I would do Suter for Tavares but I doubt Snow would part with him.

Grabner or Moulson might do it, but Id be a little afraid that they simply had career years last season

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 05:36 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Until Ownership/Management proves me right I'm going to remain skeptical until the day Shea/Suter sign

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 05:38 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

It isn't the idea of moving Suter that I scoff at. It's the idea that we might be forced to get rid of him because of money. That idea is so old and overused that it gets annoying very fast. I think if we had to move one of the Suter or Weber we would do better in the long-term moving Suter. Blum reminds me so much of (rookie) Suter it's scary, and Blum actually played in the play offs his rookie year. Against VERY good talent.

Last edited by TMI: 07-19-2011 at 06:30 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old
07-19-2011, 05:48 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
It isn't the idea of moving Suter that I scoff at. It's the idea that we might be forced to get rid of him because of money. That idea is so old and overused that it gets annoying very fact. I think if we had to move one of the Suter or Weber we would do better in the long-term moving Suter. Blum reminds me so much of (rookie) Suter it's scary, and Blum actually played in the play offs his rookie year. Against VERY good talent.
yes I should have clarified that if we trade him it wont be because we cant afford him, and in fact we might take on just as much salary in return...

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 06:14 PM
DocAzura

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
It isn't the idea of moving Suter that I scoff at. It's the idea that we might be forced to get rid of him because of money. That idea is so old and overused that it gets annoying very fact. I think if we had to move one of the Suter or Weber we would do better in the long-term moving Suter. Blum reminds me so much of (rookie) Suter it's scary, and Blum actually played in the play offs his rookie year. Against VERY good talent.
I'm not saying Nashville can't sign him, but you know how free agent season is...and he's going to command alot of attention.
Management might not want to pay him a ludicrous amount that he probably will receive.

So, maybe it would be beneficial to trade him.

Old
07-19-2011, 06:37 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
I'm not saying Nashville can't sign him, but you know how free agent season is...and he's going to command alot of attention.
Management might not want to pay him a ludicrous amount that he probably will receive.

So, maybe it would be beneficial to trade him.
I don't see Suter commanding much more than $6m. At most he will see $7m. Is $14m+ (assuming Weber signs in the neighborhood of $7m) a lot to spend on a single defensive pairing? Yeah it is. Is it too much to spend on the most dominant pairing in the league? I don't think it is. Especially when you take into account that we will likely have at least two defensemen on ELCs for a few more years. Not to mention Erat and Legwand's gaudy contracts reducing after next season until they each end.

Now, if a team comes along trying to send us a Bobby Ryan or a Zach Parise for Suter (maybe add a bit) then I take it in a heart beat. Blum looks poised to take Suter's role. Josi looks poised to take Blum's role (yeah I know, Blum is still technically a rookie).Bring in Ekholm and Ellis and we have enough potential coming up on the back end to choke a person to death.

Other than that scenario (or the highly unlikely scenario in which Suter tells the club he won't be re-signing before we get to the trade deadline) I think it would be stupid to trade such a valuable asset while our window is open. If money is an issue we cross that bridge when we get there. Lombardi's contract is gone. Dumont's buy out will be done by then. Erat's salary reduces. Legwand's salary reduces. I believe Fisher's contract reduces. We likely are able to plug in a few ELC forwards in on our bottom lines. The cap probably goes up, meaning the cap midpoint (for revenue sharing purposes) goes up with it. Mix those things with Suter's under-the-radar style of play and it doesn't look like management will have much trouble with paying him the contract he will likely demand.

Old
07-19-2011, 07:27 PM
Machinehead
Purple Hayes

As a Preds fan, I'm not trading Suter.

As a Rangers fan, I'm especially not trading him to the Islanders.

Big "no deal" on both fronts.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 07:48 PM
RaiderDoug

Very simple - and this is assuming that Nashville decides to trade him.

Suter is a young #1 defenseman. We want a top line wing. And as was previously mentioned, not a guy who happens to play on the top line, a bonafide top line guy.

The only Islanders that fit that profile, Snow wouldn't trade.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 08:11 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

This thread needs more John Tavares.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 09:45 PM
hatedandproud

Quote:
Ok, considering you might lose him in the summer, how about Comeau, DeHaan, and next years first?Don't blast me if you don't like, just tell me what you don't like about it.
OK, what do you, and my fellow Pred fans think about this. Instead of comeau, make it moulson. He's had consecutive 25 goal seasons (I think...I guess I should look it up before I type...).
EDIT- Make that consecutive 30 goal seasons!
Instead of dehaan, how about niedereiter (?sp) or the russian kid. Dehaan is a D-man right? we're good on D prospects thank you. And sure include next year's first.

So...Moulson, Neidereiter/Petrov, and next year's first. I think I'd take that.

hatedandproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 04:10 AM
TheZec

I think that Suter would be a great addition to the Isles, but the problem is, the Preds would want Moulson in the package to get it done... the Islanders simply cannot afford to lose the only decent winger to Tavares. Losing Moulson will hurt more than next years pick and whataver prospect you intended to include in the deal.

What about any of the high end defensive prospects? What would it take to land one of Josi, Blum or Ellis? Would Petrov + 2nd be enough?

TheZec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 06:52 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

The Preds have one need to put them over the top. As mentioned, it's a true top-6. This is why a trade involving Suter with the young teams (Islanders, Oilers, Jets) won't work. The asking price would be a young core piece these teams won't give up.

As for the top D prospects, the asking price (based on our need) would still be Moulson, we'd just have to add a pick.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 07:17 AM
Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
The Preds have one need to put them over the top. As mentioned, it's a true top-6. This is why a trade involving Suter with the young teams (Islanders, Oilers, Jets) won't work. The asking price would be a young core piece these teams won't give up.

As for the top D prospects, the asking price (based on our need) would still be Moulson, we'd just have to add a pick.
Top 3 you mean.

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 07:24 AM
Everlong
-

The Islanders don't have anything we want. The only players I'd want from the Islanders are Okposo, Moulson, or Tavares. Yes I know Suter can't get Tavares, but those are the type of talents we need to acquire....not a Blake Comeau.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote