HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jason Pominville will be ready for training camp

Old
07-19-2011, 04:44 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

vCash: 500
Jason Pominville will be ready for training camp

Quote:
BillHoppeSabres Bill Hoppe
#Sabres Regier said Jason Pominville is doing well and will be ready for training camp. #Buffalo
http://twitter.com/#!/BillHoppeSabre...18169577906176

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 04:52 PM
BCS

BCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 04:57 PM
ChrisObey

ChrisObey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 05:01 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

I'd rather Pommer take his time and be 100% when he comes back, but even that might be by the start of the season so great news.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 05:08 PM
drinking bleach irl
don't be so serious

vCash: 436
Wonderful.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 05:12 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Bad news for Kotalik. He has almost no chance of making team out of camp, barring trade or injury.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 05:13 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
During the press gathering, G.M. Darcy Regier mentioned the injury status of forward Jason Pominville. Regier said that Pominville is progressing nicely and should be ready to go by training camp.
http://wgr550.com/Sekera-and-Ellis-S...abres/10391175

If this plays out as Regier expects, it should quell those theories of Kotalik seeing any playing time in Buffalo and the necessity of holding onto Boyes solely as insurance while Pominville is out.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 05:15 PM
ohheyimmark

This is great news and gives them a bit more flexibility up front. Before, nearly everyone had to be on the roster as insurance in case Poms wasn't ready. Now that he is, they can still look to deal from the wing if they so desire.

Personally, I like the depth we have, but part of me wonders if Boyes has moved closer to the block given Poms' health. It's been discussed plenty, but there are teams that still need to get to the cap floor.

While downgrading Boyes to a 3C may not make a ton of sense player for player, it would give us some more financial flexibility to add at the deadline if we're in a position to do so. I'm not really sure how the bankrolling works here, but one needs to think that after the Sekera contract (and eventual Enroth & MAG contracts), we'll be really tight, even after Morrisson and Kotalik are gone. I would like the flexibility to add when the time comes.

Then again, who knows if anyone any better than Boyes would be available - Darcy could very well stand pat.

Assuming Adam starts the year in Rochester...

Vanek Leino Pominville
Ennis Roy Stafford
Gerbe Hecht Boyes
McCormick Gaustad Kaleta
xxEllis

If Adam makes the team, we look even better.

Vanek Leino Pominville
Ennis Roy Stafford
Hecht Adam Boyes
Gerbe Gaustad Kaleta
xxMcCormick, Ellis in Portland.

This offseason rox.

ohheyimmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 05:15 PM
ct2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres57 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by N3M View Post
This. Great news.

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 05:20 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
Bad news for Kotalik. He has almost no chance of making team out of camp, barring trade or injury.
I still think that, rather than play the year out in the AHL, he eventually goes back to Europe sometime during the season. He cleared waivers last season, with no takers, and only found a new team now because his last team forced them to take him. No matter how much he may collect in NHL dollars, being an outcast that no one wants can't be fun for any athlete.

Old
07-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar2866 View Post
Assuming Adam starts the year in Rochester...

Vanek Leino Pominville
Ennis Roy Stafford
Gerbe Hecht Boyes
McCormick Gaustad Kaleta
xxEllis

If Adam makes the team, we look even better.

Vanek Leino Pominville
Ennis Roy Stafford
Hecht Adam Boyes
Gerbe Gaustad Kaleta
xxMcCormick, Ellis in Portland.

This offseason rox.
I can't picture them sitting McCormick out after the raise and 3-year deal they gave him - if Adam really plays lights out in camp and deserves a full-time NHL spot, I'd guess the Sabres would trade one of the other forwards to free up the roster spot.

Old
07-19-2011, 05:30 PM
Insomniac99

If we get any more players on this roster, we're gonna be able to ice two teams this year.

Insomniac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 07:05 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
I can't picture them sitting McCormick out after the raise and 3-year deal they gave him - if Adam really plays lights out in camp and deserves a full-time NHL spot, I'd guess the Sabres would trade one of the other forwards to free up the roster spot.
I see Adam as strictly depth this year. We will have injuries, Adam will probably play 35-40 games next year.

I think the Sabres are loading up with depth, I dont think they want to trade anyone.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 07:19 PM
Old Navy Goat

I think on the positive side if Pominville is healthy and ready to go at the beginning of the season it'll give Buffalo 9 forwards that have a better than average shot at scoring 20+ goals next year. That's the kind of depth that will give opposition fits, and that without counting on the extra jump from 3 sets of attacking defensive pairings.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 07:29 PM
Pengo

Okay, now we'll really need to make a a trade.

Hopefully he's really ready to go though. Playing hurt would only hurt the team.

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 07:55 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassian View Post
Okay, now we'll really need to make a a trade.

Hopefully he's really ready to go though. Playing hurt would only hurt the team.
Not sure we do need to make a trade. Sekera's deal brings us to at or around $61.4m. If that Swedish article was accurate, and Enroth is only looking for $700k, that's doable, and it'd bring us to around $62.1m. Allotting $600k for Grags (on a one-way) brings us to $62.7m. Assuming Ellis is our 13th forward, we'd be done at or around $63.25m, leaving us with just over $1m in cap space.

And, as I said in the Ellis/Sekera thread, signing Ellis is a shrewd move, because they can demote him with little to no fear of a waiver claim when they want to promote one of the better, more expensive prospects. Then they'd only be paying slightly more than they would've been paying Ellis, rather than paying both Ellis and the prospect. Smart guys Black, Pegula, and Regier. Also, wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see them carrying 12 forwards when healthy and both teams are at home. If there's a last minute injury/illness, you have someone drive down I-90, or you play seven defensemen and 11 forwards--Tampa did this a bunch last year--and use Grags as your PPQB.

The only time this will become an issue is at the trade deadline. But Regier is used to dollar-in-dollar-out trades from the Golisano Era. If you gave Regier truth serum, I wouldn't be shocked if the plan is to get Adam a tad more seasoning in Rochester, call him up to Buffalo around Christmas, and trade out Boyes at the deadline if Adam shows he belongs in the NHL (and move either Gerbe or Vanek to RW), and bring in a $3m-$4m rental.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 08:09 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
I think the Sabres are loading up with depth, I dont think they want to trade anyone.
Nor do I - I've been on the fence since the playoffs ended on whether or not Boyes should be dealt or held onto. I've concluded that the Boyes we saw after the trade, as a winger, will be the one we see start the season rather than the Boyes we saw when switched to center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
I think on the positive side if Pominville is healthy and ready to go at the beginning of the season it'll give Buffalo 9 forwards that have a better than average shot at scoring 20+ goals next year. That's the kind of depth that will give opposition fits, and that without counting on the extra jump from 3 sets of attacking defensive pairings.
Amen! Of course, the league's obstruction tactics won't make it as flashy as this roster could have been right after the lockout but there's hope...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Not sure we do need to make a trade. Sekera's deal brings us to at or around $61.4m. If that Swedish article was accurate, and Enroth is only looking for $700k, that's doable, and it'd bring us to around $62.1m. Allotting $600k for Grags (on a one-way) brings us to $62.7m. Assuming Ellis is our 13th forward, we'd be done at or around $63.25m, leaving us with just over $1m in cap space.

And, as I said in the Ellis/Sekera thread, signing Ellis is a shrewd move, because they can demote him with little to no fear of a waiver claim when they want to promote one of the better, more expensive prospects. Then they'd only be paying slightly more than they would've been paying Ellis, rather than paying both Ellis and the prospect. Smart guys Black, Pegula, and Regier. Also, wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see them carrying 12 forwards when healthy and both teams are at home. If there's a last minute injury/illness, you have someone drive down I-90, or you play seven defensemen and 11 forwards--Tampa did this a bunch last year--and use Grags as your PPQB.

The only time this will become an issue is at the trade deadline. But Regier is used to dollar-in-dollar-out trades from the Golisano Era. If you gave Regier truth serum, I wouldn't be shocked if the plan is to get Adam a tad more seasoning in Rochester, call him up to Buffalo around Christmas, and trade out Boyes at the deadline if Adam shows he belongs in the NHL (and move either Gerbe or Vanek to RW), and bring in a $3m-$4m rental.
Great points on several fronts, Zip....

Old
07-19-2011, 08:16 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

great! I'm glad he's okay, that was a scary injury!

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 08:51 PM
Pengo

According to this, we actually have -$2.3 cap space with Pominville. Granted we'll probably send Kotalik to the AHL, but as you said Enroth and Grags will get around $1-$1.3m

If you're right that that we have +$2.9 cap space right now, then my mistake.

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 08:55 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassian View Post
According to this, we actually have -$2.3 cap space with Pominville. Granted we'll probably send Kotalik to the AHL, but as you said Enroth and Grags will get around $1-$1.3m

If you're right that that we have +$2.9 cap space right now, then my mistake.
Dumping Kotalik/Morrisonn:

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Thomas Vanek ($7.142m) / Derek Roy ($4.000m) / Jason Pominville ($5.300m)
Tyler Ennis ($0.875m) / Ville Leino ($4.500m) / Drew Stafford ($4.000m)
Jochen Hecht ($3.525m) / Paul Gaustad ($2.300m) / Brad Boyes ($4.000m)
Nathan Gerbe ($1.433m) / Cody McCormick ($1.200m) / Patrick Kaleta ($0.907m)

DEFENSEMEN
Robyn Regehr ($4.020m) / Christian Ehrhoff ($4.000m)
Jordan Leopold ($3.000m) / Andrej Sekera ($2.750m)
Mike Weber ($0.950m) / Tyler Myers ($1.300m)

GOALTENDERS
Ryan Miller ($6.250m)

BUYOUTS: Tim Kennedy ($0.166m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,620,357; BONUSES: $425,000
CAP SPACE (19-man roster): $2,679,643

--Still need to sign Enroth, Gragnani. Does not include Ellis, so if he's on the roster that's 550K less.

Man, it'll be really tight if Adam pushes for a spot.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 09:39 PM
Tyler2829

Does anyone think Gragnani could fill in as both the 7th dman as well as 13th forward since we're so close to the cap?

Tyler2829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 09:43 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler2829 View Post
Does anyone think Gragnani could fill in as both the 7th dman as well as 13th forward since we're so close to the cap?
Definitely possible, as he's played both positions in the AHL and NHL.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 01:31 AM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Agreed. It would allow Ruff to move Hecht back to the vacated winger spot, and also enable him to keep Gerbe in the top 9....not to mention clear salary space for deadline acquisitions.

If there are injuries, I wouldn't be surprised if this year was a year the Sabres went rental hunting at the deadline - they've got a lot of NHL defensemen spots locked up long-term, and a lot of near ready NHL guys waiting in the wings. Buffalo's in a good spot to deal one or two if they need a forward or center.

jflory81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 12:05 PM
Gnuguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Definitely possible, as he's played both positions in the AHL and NHL.
Sekera can/has done the same.

Gnuguy is offline   Reply With Quote