HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Sergei Kostitsyn on the Habs - Russian

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2011, 03:16 PM
TheGoalJudge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Robin left the batcave a couple years ago.

It's always good to compare the impact of a snooze town like Motor city to a city known for it's party ways, as one and the same.

But hey, you're an expert, right...
Quote:
Ya, let's draft a talented Belarussian, bring him up at 19 years old and then get pissed that he acted immaturely after we left him to fend for himself in Montreal of all places, not ****ing Columbus or Nashville.
I actually pointed out that Montreal is not an easy city to adapt to (which makes organizational support even MORE important) but you obviously missed that and decided to make my point for me anyways.

DURRR

Old
07-19-2011, 03:19 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Habs must be poorly developing Subban too..
And why does Subban needs Gill as his mentor again?

Seriously, he had a great 1st season in the NHL, second season was not so good.. but the rest of the team wasn't great either. But until Martin came here, I don't remember Sergei being a cancer, or guy that is full of himself etc. It went well with Carbo, with Boucher, Trotz.

Sergei clearly didn't like how he was treated in the last season with the Habs and I don't blame him. He is obviously still bitter. What he did back then is for his own good for his career and it did pay off. He has quadruple his salary now and is perfectly happy.

Old
07-19-2011, 03:39 PM
The Doors

Players like sergei, ribeiro, theodore etc are the reason we have a team built more on character than flashiness with guys like gill, gionta, etc forming the core. if you want to succeed in montreal with flash you have to be mature - in the way that a guy like kovalev was, for example, and many others through the past.

Let's be serious, if most of us were seeing our names and faces flashing all around town in every newspaper and tv station it would probably turn you pretty arrogant too, partying etc. this probably doesn't happen for a guy like sergei in nashville, so he can focus on playing hockey, probably a good thing for him.

Some guys can handle it, some can't handle it properly. i think management has picked the right course for the team. whoever mentioned the wings and devils earlier was right, the habs are well on their way to working their way back to the class of the league and modelling themselves after those two franchises, if not in the standings than at least in the eyes of the other teams. there were some dark years for this team in the past 10-15 seasons, but things are looking stable and i anticipate a good year.

Old
07-19-2011, 03:49 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

What happened with Sergei is well documented (both made mistakes). Now I don't know if the translation is way off, but if he's hinting that he's an innocent victim with the whole "lockerroom stink" then he can go sit and twist on a Nashville guitar. It also seems that he thinks AK is being mistreated. Dude, mind your own business. Let's see what this 1-year deal will do for him.

Old
07-19-2011, 04:28 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
And why does Subban needs Gill as his mentor again?

Seriously, he had a great 1st season in the NHL, second season was not so good.. but the rest of the team wasn't great either. But until Martin came here, I don't remember Sergei being a cancer, or guy that is full of himself etc. It went well with Carbo, with Boucher, Trotz.

Sergei clearly didn't like how he was treated in the last season with the Habs and I don't blame him. He is obviously still bitter. What he did back then is for his own good for his career and it did pay off. He has quadruple his salary now and is perfectly happy.

Yup, being selfish is the way to go now I guess.

Old
07-19-2011, 04:49 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Do you really think Sergei would have gotten the chance to play 17-18M and PP in Montreal? Do you think Sergei would hit the 50 pts mark in Montreal? Do you think Sergei could score 23 goals on the third line in Montreal? All that under Martin who obviously didn't like the him?

Sergei obviously had no future with the Habs and under Martin. And we all know Sergei is talented, READY for the NHL. So yeah, lets blame the kid for thinking about his future. Its not about money, he took minimum salary just to play in an NHL team and prove what he's capable of. All he wanted was an opportunity.

Old
07-19-2011, 04:54 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
While I don't think he handled it properly, to say JM wasn't selfish when he was playing Greg Stewart and Max Pacioretty over him to start the season would be ridiculous.

Old
07-19-2011, 04:55 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Who cares?

Just do your off-season training and shut up.

Old
07-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Gally11

Safe to say the Belarus experiment failed

Old
07-19-2011, 05:46 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereabouts Unknown View Post
Didn't only fail, it backfired lol

Old
07-19-2011, 05:59 PM
habsjunkie2*

I gotta agree with him on everything he says about his brother. He basically outperformed everyone in our top 6 if we take into account total ice time, pp time, 5vs5 scoring per icetime, hits, quality of line mates, number of linemates (bounced around ect) It's truly amazing. When put into proper context, AK was probably our 2nd best forward behind plekanecs, yet many habs fans would buy his plane ticket to another city, it's actually quite disturbing. I kinda agree on the russian bias protion.

Old
07-19-2011, 06:36 PM
neofury*

PK Subban - Young talented player works hard and does what he's told. Notice he hasn't been traded and he succeeds?

Sergei Kostitsyn - Young talented player who has a bad attitude and reputation. Notice he has been traded and he was a failure here in a sense that he wasn't accepted by his team, largely in part by his own actions.

Notice how every other player on the team gets along, hasn't been traded, many of whom have been re-signed? There's a reason for that. Management is trying to build a tight knit family type team where hard work dedication and a little defense trump pure offensive skill. Where depth and balance make us an unstoppable force. You may not like JM but you're going to see high numbers in the W column this year. We will be a good team. 3rd to 6th at least imo.

Sergei wasn't a fit, Sergei was a brat with entitlement issues and as much as I loved him as a player, he sucks as a teammate and had issues with dedication.

You're a professional athlete you work your entire life to be in a team sport. You don't want to be part of a team go play golf. Kid probably doesn't even want to be on a playoff team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereabouts Unknown View Post
For Sergei he failed.

For Grabovski management had their part.

For Andrei it was a success. Big forwards with 2nd line skill who hit are worth every penny. He's one of the most underrated habs on here.

Old
07-19-2011, 06:52 PM
Miller Time

ignoring the "sergei was a brat vs management screwed up" debate, which has been beaten to death...

what is really scary for us about all this is his relation to A.Kost, and the negative impact that's bound to have.

i'm sure S.Kost has been in his ear all summer, and if he continues to have great success in Nashville, while Andrei continues to plateau, Andrei's patience and compliance to the team is likely to be strained.

if A.Kost struggles again this year and finds himself in/out of Martin's doghouse again, we can kiss him goodbye in the offseason, and despite the lack of love he gets around here, that would be a significant loss that will be hard to replace (big body, offensively talented).

and much like his brother, I think Andrei stands to "break-out" considerably the minute he moves to a team/coach who better understands/appreciates how to use him.

Old
07-19-2011, 06:52 PM
tinyzombies

Both brothers have poor work ethics from what I've seen. Andrei's time here is ticking as well.

Sergei is also clearly not a team guy. Also, it's not too bright to diss former management. There are only 30 teams in the league and they will all notice next time contracts come around. I expect this to be his last year in the NHL. I'd be shocked if he stuck.

Old
07-19-2011, 06:54 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Do you really think Sergei would have gotten the chance to play 17-18M and PP in Montreal? Do you think Sergei would hit the 50 pts mark in Montreal? Do you think Sergei could score 23 goals on the third line in Montreal? All that under Martin who obviously didn't like the him?
Btw, I wouldn't be surprised if Sergei never score 20 goals again in his career. Last 23 came out of an ass-kicking 24.7 shooting percentage - that's insanely good, and clearly an outlier. He doesn't have the shot production a NHL scorer typically need to be consistent.

Unless his development suddenly take a huge step forward, which I don't really expect.

Old
07-19-2011, 07:39 PM
Uwey

Bad attitude??!!

Mike Riberio was a headcase with a bad attitude from the day he entered the QMJHL & it took a huge wakeup call for him to realize he had to change or it would cost him his career.

Sergei Kostitsyn on the other hand came out of juniors being praised by his coach, Dale Hunter, who has turned down numerous NHL jobs, by saying in their final year together in Windsor, that Sergei was the most ready & most responsible in every part of his game to the jump to the NHL, even moreso than team mates Sam Gagne or Patrick Kane.

That in itself bares a lot of weight IMO as to how this kid was handled at the NHL level. If I remember correctly, Don Lever & Guy Boucher utilized this kid in every aspect of the game in Hamilton & all he did was produce results.

I'll bet Guy Boucher, if given the opportunity right now, would add this kid to his lineup & make him a key component in the Lightening organization, playing him as a top 6 forward with Stamkos, St. Louis & Lecavalier.

Some guys need to be stroked & some need to be pushed & the bottom line is a great coach knows exactly which button to push & when to get the best out of his talented players.

Old
07-19-2011, 07:47 PM
Uwey

BTW, if you want a huge example of this team mishandling a young player, look no further Gui Latendresse.

He was a kid who could have matured & developed into a good player for the Habs had they given him some development time in the minors, like Max Pacioretty, IMO.

Old
07-19-2011, 07:51 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

So SKost goes from the biggest setup in journalistic history to worst human being on the planet based on a translation of an Russian article made by incredible journalists (we all know that once our players leaves, those articles are never to be judged, only Montreal stories can...)

Having said all of that....let's say what he says it's true. That the group is tighter in Nashville than in Montreal....So what? Anybody's feelings hurt that much? He prefers to play there? And again....what's the problem? So we can take the players who say how great and incredible it's better to play here but can't accept people saying that it could be better elsewhere? Are we that sensible now? You hate when management and players give those incredible "Let's give our 100%" and don't say anything, yet when somebody will speak his mind..we also can't accept it?

And on the immature issue...yes he is. Doesn't make him a worst player. And frankly is little Sergei, alone, is a reason why our room was so divided and how he was incredibly disruptive for the entire room, sorry but it tells you more about the rest of the vets than Sergei himself. And then let's say he was THAT disruptive and a pain in the ass. Pretty sure he didn't start to be overnight. My guess would be that when he had some success (remember the thread about Getzlaf or both Kostys...), the Habs HAD to knew he was a pain. So if you can't do a thing about it, you trade him THEN. Not wait till he's worth nothing.

YES I know. He seemed ('cause nobody was in that room) to be not easy to work with and really immature. Sucks that while some teams can turnaround guys like that ('cause everybody is not Ryan White), we seemed to have a tougher time.....unless you are the exceptionals like Price and Subban. THEN you seem to worth it....If not, bebye. Go develop somewhere else. Not the greatest asset management. Doesn't make him less immature. But as a fan of MY team, I'd hope we'd work with every talent available out there even if it means working with all types of people and not just the milk drinkers....

It didn't end the way he wanted. He's pissed. As a matter of fact, he's not the only one with that feeling right now. Do we just happen to unfortunately draft all the immature players of the planet? Just a case of bad luck? Or should they, as an organization, look as to what they could have done wrong in his case and other cases? Nope. Easier to blame the spoiled little brat. Same brat who was supposed to never listen to his coach, was never doing anything right and yet, the first time he had the opportunity, sat down, FROM HIS OWN DEMAND, with Boucher to watch some videos. How can you go from the worst to the not so bad in 1 night?

Again, I repeat 'cause I'll have some those sensible ones on my back.....he HAS some responsability to take. BIG TIME. But he's not alone. And I believe it could have been avoided.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 07-19-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwey View Post
BTW, if you want a huge example of this team mishandling a young player, look no further Gui Latendresse.

He was a kid who could have matured & developed into a good player for the Habs had they given him some development time in the minors, like Max Pacioretty, IMO.
Would you people just get over it. And book it, Fats will never be the player Max is.

Old
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
Both brothers have poor work ethics from what I've seen. Andrei's time here is ticking as well.

Sergei is also clearly not a team guy. Also, it's not too bright to diss former management. There are only 30 teams in the league and they will all notice next time contracts come around. I expect this to be his last year in the NHL. I'd be shocked if he stuck.
Please share with us what you've seen. Find me the article where its states that Andrei have poor work ethic. Unless you are watching him in every practice in Brossard, I've never heard Andrei has poor work ethic. His problem is adaptation and consistency.

You guys need to stop the same old cliches.

And is it me or some people talks like Andrei had a bad season last season?

Old
07-19-2011, 08:00 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwey View Post

A prime example is not based on assumptions.

Lats problem was training and still is training. If you can find a clip from last summer on RDS where he's with a personal trainer getting ready for the 10-11 season, you'll know what I mean. His level of dedication was too low and often came into question, from his own words, and he realized that. He was training more last summer, and still, 1-2 months after that, it gets out that he was not in good shape when he came into Wild camp... surprise surprise...

Old
07-19-2011, 08:02 PM
Uwey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
Would you people just get over it. And book it, Fats will never be the player Max is.
Please show where I at any time said that???

What I said was: If Guy had had the same development time as Patches, he would have become a good NHL player for the Habs.

I compared their developmental avenues, not their skill potential.

IMO at this stage, Gui may have fit the roll as a good NHL winger(not great, not top six) playing along side of either Desharnias or Eller this up coming season, IMO. Outside of Andi Kostitsyn & Ryan White, other two options of Moen & Darche are not as I feel a properly developed Latendresse could have been!!!

Old
07-19-2011, 08:03 PM
Uwey

Quote:

Lats problem was training and still is training. If you can find a clip from last summer on RDS where he's with a personal trainer getting ready for the 10-11 season, you'll know what I mean. His level of dedication was too low and often came into question, from his own words, and he realized that. He was training more last summer, and still, 1-2 months after that, it gets out that he was not in good shape when he came into Wild camp... surprise surprise...

Point taken.

Old
07-19-2011, 08:07 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

Thing is, you're talking about the season that he missed because of his numerous injuries. Injuries that had nothing to do with his shape but with something he was dragging. Sports hernia aren't related to bad shape. Yet, he had some problems training because of those injuries he thought would go away. And evidently, it didn't and not only that, he missed a whole year. And not because he was out of shape.

So many things that circulated falsely for Lats. Like the time people were whining because he didn't go to a skating session in Trois-Rivières or something....which was also put down later when Latendresse admitted he and Lapierre when to a skating camp with Paul Lawson in the summer and didn't have to go to that other camp people was talking about....

Yet, people look at this face and say he is in bad shape. Same guy who was in his last years with the Habs, one of the best players in preseason. Was eating the prospects alive in his first seasons...and didn't look too badly with the vets as well. Clearly, he was probably not the best in physical condition and it was his weakness....but didn't do too badly. Then it comes down to improving with maturity.

Old
07-19-2011, 08:22 PM
Stradale

Imagine SK-Eller-AK as a third line.... *drools*

(just imagine the SK we had the first year, not the one under JM)

Closed Thread