Notices

another bergeron quality i like . . .

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2003, 03:03 PM
bwunderlich

vCash: 500
another bergeron quality i like . . .

haven't been reading the board a thoroughly as i would like . . . but did anyone notice in the Kings game with 8 seconds to go the camera panned the bruins bench and knuble was laughing and patting bergeron on the shoulder. bergeron glanced, forced a smile, and then was intently focused on the defensive zone faceoff.

the kid just had his best game as a pro but is focused on the faceoff before any celebration was to occur. in yoda-speak, "wise beyond his years he IS."

. . . and just let me say one more time, i LOVE what sandy mccarthy brings to this team!

Old
10-20-2003, 07:14 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwunderlich
haven't been reading the board a thoroughly as i would like . . . but did anyone notice in the Kings game with 8 seconds to go the camera panned the bruins bench and knuble was laughing and patting bergeron on the shoulder. bergeron glanced, forced a smile, and then was intently focused on the defensive zone faceoff.

the kid just had his best game as a pro but is focused on the faceoff before any celebration was to occur. in yoda-speak, "wise beyond his years he IS."
That's Patrice, though.

He was the same way at the draft. Happy to be selected, but quiet and intense in a way that stood out. Mark Stuart was similar. And while you don't want to fall too much into the hype trap (and I'm as guilty of it as anyone else) I think Bruins fans are going to be in for a real treat when Stuart starts taking a regular shift here.

Like Bergeron, he brings a ton of intangibles to the table. He's mature beyond his years, but brings that nasty physical game that people love, as well as a solid skill set. No stonehands traffic cone there.

But I had a feeling about Bergeron from the get-go. After sitting down with him for about an hour on the Sunday after the draft's first day, I raved all about him to a scout friend of mine, and he even admitted to me recently that he thought I was maybe going a little overboard with my praise at the time.

I honestly didn't see Bergeron having the kind of impact he's made so far, but I did detect him as someone who was going to come in and turn some heads because of the way he carries himself. Often times, a player may have the skill and ability to play in the NHL at 18, but a team will send him back to junior anyway because he lacks the maturity to be in the big time. In Bergeron's case, I knew that wouldn't be an issue, but his skating and strength would.

To his credit, he hasn't let it become an issue. What a steal he is turning out to be...

Between Bergeron, Stuart and Masi Marjamaki, the Bruins could end up having one of the most productive first days of any team in the 2003 draft. And not one of them had any of the hype of the big names drafted ahead of them.

Old
10-20-2003, 07:44 PM
nhlbruin

Once again, MAJOR props to the Bruins scouting department, from the top down to each scout!!!

Old
10-21-2003, 04:08 AM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ
That's Patrice, though.

He was the same way at the draft. Happy to be selected, but quiet and intense in a way that stood out. Mark Stuart was similar. And while you don't want to fall too much into the hype trap (and I'm as guilty of it as anyone else) I think Bruins fans are going to be in for a real treat when Stuart starts taking a regular shift here.

Like Bergeron, he brings a ton of intangibles to the table. He's mature beyond his years, but brings that nasty physical game that people love, as well as a solid skill set. No stonehands traffic cone there.

But I had a feeling about Bergeron from the get-go. After sitting down with him for about an hour on the Sunday after the draft's first day, I raved all about him to a scout friend of mine, and he even admitted to me recently that he thought I was maybe going a little overboard with my praise at the time.

I honestly didn't see Bergeron having the kind of impact he's made so far, but I did detect him as someone who was going to come in and turn some heads because of the way he carries himself. Often times, a player may have the skill and ability to play in the NHL at 18, but a team will send him back to junior anyway because he lacks the maturity to be in the big time. In Bergeron's case, I knew that wouldn't be an issue, but his skating and strength would.

To his credit, he hasn't let it become an issue. What a steal he is turning out to be...

Between Bergeron, Stuart and Masi Marjamaki, the Bruins could end up having one of the most productive first days of any team in the 2003 draft. And not one of them had any of the hype of the big names drafted ahead of them.
kirk- you should give yourself a pat on the back w/regards to bergeron. i remember your article saying that you spoke w/patrice in great length about many things, including what to expect at training camp, and also weighing in on hiring a personal trainer/power skating instructor. i believe that you had some sort of positive influence on the kid for sure. nice job!

Old
10-21-2003, 04:59 AM
psuthornton

Send a message via AIM to psuthornton
no one dimensional players

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwunderlich

. . . and just let me say one more time, i LOVE what sandy mccarthy brings to this team!

Not going to re-hash things on Bergeron. The kid is a player, and will stay up for the year. Just the patience he shows when he has the puck on his stick is proof. He's not afraid of the puck.

I too LOVE this fourth line. Its not for the fact that they can score or anything like that, its that all the guys are multi-dimensional players. Say what you want about Stock and Brown. In all reality, on the ice they're only purpose was fighting. McArthy and Donato can actually play. They can cycle and play the corners better than Stock and Brown ever could. Brown played defense his whole career, yet the brilliant robbie had him at forward on our team. We had Grosek, an undersized fighter (Stock), and a coverted D-man as our fourth line last year. I think that was partly because robbie had no-use for the fourth line except to give the rest of the team a breather. It looks like Sully may use the fourth line for a little more than that.

I really like the attitude change in this team as well. Out goes stumpel, brown, berard. In comes Green, McArthy, Jillson.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:22 AM
BruinsGirl

Kid got some terrific ice-vision...! I still want to see him playing with Sammy ..on the other hand maybe it's smarter to have balanced scoring.

Old
10-21-2003, 08:02 AM
Stock Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
kirk- you should give yourself a pat on the back w/regards to bergeron. i remember your article saying that you spoke w/patrice in great length about many things, including what to expect at training camp, and also weighing in on hiring a personal trainer/power skating instructor. i believe that you had some sort of positive influence on the kid for sure. nice job!
I agree.

I remember reading his B's draft recap and he gave the Bergeron pick an 'A' and I was like, "Come on- the kid was a middle second-rounder! How good is he going to be?"

D'oh. Talk about nailing a read on a prospect... And, he also correctly predicted that the B's would trade down and draft Mark Stuart. About as masterful a job of covering the 2003 draft as possible.

Old
10-21-2003, 03:26 PM
BleedBruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ

And this is the key to the strategy to make the Bruins a contender in the long run. If you're going to keep an closer eye on the wallet than some other teams, you need to have better drafts. Its still means dollars/good sense in hiring drafting talent, but its better money spent than having to shell out for big name free agents later. I suspect we're all happy with the draft. Lets hope it continues.

Closed Thread