HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So Shea wants a short term deal ?

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2011, 10:07 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
So, based on this, the team may be shopping for a $5 - $7 mil top-6. Though, remember that Suter and Rinne is next on the block.
Thats right although I think poiles ideal situation would be to get Weber for 7 mil or less, trade for a forward which would result in a net increase in salary of around 4-5 million, and still have a million or two for in-season moves if necessary.

Old
07-19-2011, 10:16 AM
randymc2641

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
So, based on this, the team may be shopping for a $5 - $7 mil top-6. Though, remember that Suter and Rinne is next on the block.
But if the cap goes up $5 mil, that's 2 Mil for Pekka bring him to 5.5 and 3 mil for suter taking him to 6.5. Unless someone like Philly offers him a 9 year contract with 5.5 mil cap hit, but 10 mil, 6 mil, 8 mil in 1st 3 years then we probably couldn't keep him. The more I think about it, I see us trading Pekka.

Old
07-19-2011, 10:41 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by randymc2641 View Post
But if the cap goes up $5 mil, that's 2 Mil for Pekka bring him to 5.5 and 3 mil for suter taking him to 6.5. Unless someone like Philly offers him a 9 year contract with 5.5 mil cap hit, but 10 mil, 6 mil, 8 mil in 1st 3 years then we probably couldn't keep him. The more I think about it, I see us trading Pekka.
we wont need to increase Rinne and Suter until next year. The midpoint will probably rise again before then.

I dont think we trade Rinne.

I do think we could trade Suter if its clear he wants to leave after this coming season.

Old
07-19-2011, 11:01 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
When are the arbitration dates again? I seem to remember Doughty's being scheduled before Weber's, but I don't have any reference for same.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
07-19-2011, 11:02 AM
OpenWheel

So what is up with Suter? Are they in negotiations about his next deal?

Old
07-19-2011, 11:09 AM
pekkaslap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
When are the arbitration dates again? I seem to remember Doughty's being scheduled before Weber's, but I don't have any reference for same.
I didn't think Doughty was eligible for arbitration. I see him waiting to see what the arbiter decides Weber is worth and then he'll resign with LA. Shea's hearing will be Aug. 2nd.

Old
07-19-2011, 11:22 AM
sighthndlady

August 2: Arbitration day and the day the country goes bankrupt. Don't think either one is going to happen.

Old
07-19-2011, 11:32 AM
Nitrous Mafia

for arbitration n00bs like myself

Old
07-19-2011, 11:46 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekkaslap View Post
I didn't think Doughty was eligible for arbitration. I see him waiting to see what the arbiter decides Weber is worth and then he'll resign with LA. Shea's hearing will be Aug. 2nd.
Maybe I was thinking of Parise.

It's humid up here and the AC at home and in my car isn't working. I can't brain well.

Old
07-19-2011, 03:36 PM
PredsHockey

(New to the boards. I've always wanted to post on here, I've just always been too lazy, but I go on here everyday. I've been a Preds fan since the inaugural season, and though I live in Bowling Green at the moment, I still go to 20+ home games a year. Favorite Pred ever is Drake Berehowsky. Hope to meet all of you)

In a perfect world, Weber would re-sign for a lower of a price that Doughty, and we go after an above average player, but keep enough after hitting the cap floor so next year, we have enough for Suter and Rinne. I'm almost certain Poile is keeping his Radulov dreams alive for next year and telling everyone (including Weber) that next year is the year we contend. Keep the core three, go after a solid winger/center, and resign our FA. Same strong defense with scoring pieces and a top 3 goaltender is music to his ears.

Old
07-19-2011, 03:40 PM
Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsHockey View Post
(New to the boards. I've always wanted to post on here, I've just always been too lazy, but I go on here everyday. I've been a Preds fan since the inaugural season, and though I live in Bowling Green at the moment, I still go to 20+ home games a year. Favorite Pred ever is Drake Berehowsky. Hope to meet all of you)

In a perfect world, Weber would re-sign for a lower of a price that Doughty, and we go after an above average player, but keep enough after hitting the cap floor so next year, we have enough for Suter and Rinne. I'm almost certain Poile is keeping his Radulov dreams alive for next year and telling everyone (including Weber) that next year is the year we contend. Keep the core three, go after a solid winger/center, and resign our FA. Same strong defense with scoring pieces and a top 3 goaltender is music to his ears.
Welcome!

Of course what you lay out is easier said than done.

Old
07-19-2011, 03:48 PM
randymc2641

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
we wont need to increase Rinne and Suter until next year. The midpoint will probably rise again before then.

I dont think we trade Rinne.

I do think we could trade Suter if its clear he wants to leave after this coming season.
Put you can't spend $4 mil on a guy with more than 1 year left this year and have that money to spend next June/July. did you see the money Philly just spent? We can't pay Pekka 30 mil over the next 4 years, even if its a 9 year deal that is a 5.something cap hit. And it's been our history to let our goalies go. Just don't think we'll put that kind of cash into a goalie. We have lots of guys up next year too, if you haven't looked. Kostitsyn, Wilson, Tootoo, Geoffrion, O'Reilly, Suter, Buillon, Blum, Pekka, Lindback and potentially Weber. That's a lot more than we've had due in a long time. a mere 5 Mil wont be enough of a raise for all those guys. I do NOT think we will be spending the $4 mil on a forward, it wouldn't make sense long term, unless he only has 1 year left on his contract.

Old
07-19-2011, 04:12 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by randymc2641 View Post
Put you can't spend $4 mil on a guy with more than 1 year left this year and have that money to spend next June/July. did you see the money Philly just spent? We can't pay Pekka 30 mil over the next 4 years, even if its a 9 year deal that is a 5.something cap hit. And it's been our history to let our goalies go. Just don't think we'll put that kind of cash into a goalie. We have lots of guys up next year too, if you haven't looked. Kostitsyn, Wilson, Tootoo, Geoffrion, O'Reilly, Suter, Buillon, Blum, Pekka, Lindback and potentially Weber. That's a lot more than we've had due in a long time. a mere 5 Mil wont be enough of a raise for all those guys. I do NOT think we will be spending the $4 mil on a forward, it wouldn't make sense long term, unless he only has 1 year left on his contract.
you somewhat answered your own question. with a lot of players contracts up next summer we can jettison salary if we need to at that time.

I also think you are missing my point that if we sign a high dollar forward this year that might mean that suter wont be back.

But I do believe we will keep Rinne. I disagree with you that we "let goalies go".... we let mediocre goalies go... the one other great goalie we had(Vokoun) we signed to a mulit-year extension and were only forced to trade him away by Liarpold.

Old
07-19-2011, 05:18 PM
sighthndlady

Does Stamkos's 7.5 for 5 years have any effect on Weber's negotiations?

Old
07-19-2011, 06:36 PM
MillerTime2181

The core of the team is Weber, Suter, Rinne and I think you have to build around them for years to come. Top priority for them should be to see all 3 locked up in Nashville long-term (i.e. more than 5 years a piece). Have the rumors of Weber wanting a short-term deal been confirmed? And if so what's the stated/speculated reasoning behind it? Any truth the the rumors he wants to play in Vancouver? Apologies if all has already been answered in this thread already I haven't read through all.

Old
07-19-2011, 06:43 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Rinne is making $4m next season. I don't see it being a problem to add somewhere between $1m-$2m to that existing deal. $6m for a 30-31 year old goalie isn't bad. It puts him among the highest paid at his position...

Old
07-19-2011, 06:44 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime2181 View Post
The core of the team is Weber, Suter, Rinne and I think you have to build around them for years to come. Top priority for them should be to see all 3 locked up in Nashville long-term (i.e. more than 5 years a piece). Have the rumors of Weber wanting a short-term deal been confirmed? And if so what's the stated/speculated reasoning behind it? Any truth the the rumors he wants to play in Vancouver? Apologies if all has already been answered in this thread already I haven't read through all.
I haven't seen anything else about Weber wanting a short term deal since the rumor was initially posted on Twitter

Old
07-19-2011, 06:58 PM
MillerTime2181

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I haven't seen anything else about Weber wanting a short term deal since the rumor was initially posted on Twitter
Much appreciated... and as you stated before... Rinne making 6 mil. per sounds about right. He is one of the best and deserves to be paid as such, but it shouldn't take more than that and who know he make take the hometown discount especially if he knows Weber and Suter will be around for a bit. That's gotta be a goalie's dream defense tandem at the moment.

Old
07-20-2011, 09:06 AM
JamboPred

Shea's agent told Josh Cooper that the negotiations are coming to a bit of a stalemate.

“We’ve had long talks; we seem to be coming to a bit of a stalemate. We still have time to work before the system kicks in,” Weber’s agent, Jarrett Bousquet said. “Shea would like to be a Predator. He enjoys playing there with a team that’s on the cusp of doing something great.”

Last edited by JamboPred: 07-20-2011 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Misleading grammar
Old
07-20-2011, 09:08 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Not that they have come to a stalemate but they "seem to be coming to a bit of stalemate" there is a difference.

Old
07-20-2011, 09:14 AM
JamboPred

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Not that they have come to a stalemate but they "seem to be coming to a bit of stalemate" there is a difference.
Either way, i would of preferred not to have heard it.

Old
07-20-2011, 09:18 AM
pekkaslap

So it begins. I'm beginning to think maybe Strickland was right about Weber wanting a short term deal. The question is, how short is short term? If he won't commit to the Preds for 4 more years I think you have to think about letting him go and give the money to Suter/Rinne.

Old
07-20-2011, 09:25 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamboPred View Post
Shea's agent told Josh Cooper that the negotiations are coming to a bit of a stalemate.

“We’ve had long talks; we seem to be coming to a bit of a stalemate. We still have time to work before the system kicks in,” Weber’s agent, Jarrett Bousquet said. “Shea would like to be a Predator. He enjoys playing there with a team that’s on the cusp of doing something great.”
Wonder if this isnt a little manipulation by Bousquet, hoping for some backlash that might push Poile a bit

I also hate it when they say hypocritical BS like "Shea would like to be a Predator.. blah blah blah"

what a load of crap... Shea is going to be a Predator for a minimum of two more years unless Poile desires otherwise, so if Shea wants to be a Predator longer than that, cut the soundbites and get a deal made.

Old
07-20-2011, 09:29 AM
Shea Weber

"It's just negotiations" - David Poile

Old
07-20-2011, 10:12 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsHockey View Post

Welcome!!! I'm also in Bowling Green.

Closed Thread