HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Stamkos Agrees To Five-year, $37.5m Contract With Lightning

Old
07-19-2011, 07:52 PM
Flyerfan808

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpyD View Post
I'd love Malone if the Flyers didn't already commit to the winger position so heavily, aka waste 3 million on Jagr.
Not like I am a huge fan of Jagr, nor do I think he is a LOCK to put up a PPG like some others, but come on man:

3.3M for Jagr > 4.5M Malone

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 07:53 PM
Flyerfan808

I feel like this is a good deal for Stammer and the Lightning. Hopefully all these Stamkos rumors go away.

Old
07-19-2011, 08:58 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
I feel like this is a good deal for Stammer and the Lightning. Hopefully all these Stamkos rumors go away.
Well at least for five years. He will be 26 and he will break the bank if he stays healthy. Yet there are some people here who believe that at the the age of 26 it will be all down hill from there for him

Hook Line and Sinker

Last edited by Hockeypete49: 07-20-2011 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Way to Easy
Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 09:23 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Well at least for five years. He will be 26 and he will break the bank if he stays healthy. Yet there are some people here who believe that at the the age of 26 it will be all down hill from there for him
HFBoards, where 26 is washed up.

Old
07-19-2011, 10:29 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Can't believe we traded Richie and Carter and let the big fish go. Geebus this season will be ugly.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 12:18 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
turns out I was right in the thinking that Stamkos wouldnt sign a deal that would take him past his first year of UFA status.
Oh and we didnt let anyone get away regarding Stamkos. We were never going to get him. I guess too many people are drunk on the kool-aid provided by the Flyers media in the paper and on twitter.
Some people really, really need to let that thought go.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 01:09 AM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
I don't know if you have seen him since Pittsburgh, but dude is not very good now...
He (Malone) wasn't even that good in Pittsburgh. He's got an awful contract and would fast become THE whipping boy this year if somehow the Flyers acquired him. Even mentioning his name in the same sentence as Jagr is just plain bizarre and it is either a case of a poster who is extremely new to hockey or a poster who is letting blind hatred of a player get in the way of his ability to accurately judge that player's ability.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 06:24 AM
EvanOberg

How are you guys comparing Malone and Jagr? Sure the pay is different. Totally different players and roles. The Lightnings past regime and GM screwed that one up though I agree that hes overpaid. The point is that Malone is a role player. Hes not a scorer. Hes the tough grind em out with his size and work ethic players. Jagr is a scorer. Either way, yes Malone is overpaid, but he also has a NMC which makes him hard to trade away. Although what he does bring to the table is good to have on your team. Just not at that amount of money. Will be interesting to see how the Jagr experiment goes for you guys. 3 mil is a lot for a has been. Maybe he can still put some points up like he used to.

EvanOberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 07:18 AM
phillyfanatic

THANK GOD!!! I was afraid we were going to give up Schenn and possibly Giroux at 3.5M for Stamkos at 7.5M. He is a great player, but we have started to re-build, we can't start getting rid of the future now.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 07:22 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Richards got Schenn + Simmonds + 2nd.

So, Stamkos is getting Schenn + (Giroux + Coburn) + Bobrovsky.

So let's say...

Schenn = Schenn
2nd = Bobrovsky
Simmonds = Coburn

(I know Coburn is more valuable than Simmonds.)

Is Stamkos a Giroux better than Richards?

Not in your ****ing wildest dreams.

There's no way that would get done.
Agreed. Obviously you didn't read the rest of my post. I said this is a deal Homer would do and Flyer fans would be happy, which would be the stupidest deal EVER. I wouldn't trade Giroux for Stamkos in a 1 for 1. Why give up an 80 point guy at 3.5M for a 90 point guy at 7.5M? Makes no sense to me.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 07:51 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

especially when they would compliment each other so perfectly lol. Giroux would essentially replace the little passing genius at tampa.

The flyers don't need stamkos and likely never will for that package. it's insane. Schenn hopefully will become quite the player for the flyers.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 08:53 AM
MrHockey1982

Tampa really got hosed on this deal IMO. Not only will he be a UFA in 5 years, but he ALSO has a NMC. So if Tampa wants to trade him in 4.5 years because they can't re-sign him, he can just say no and do what Brad Richards did. Essentially letting him sign somewhere else while Tampa gets nothing in return. I guess 5 years at a good cap hit is all they could get out of it.

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 09:43 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
Tampa really got hosed on this deal IMO. Not only will he be a UFA in 5 years, but he ALSO has a NMC. So if Tampa wants to trade him in 4.5 years because they can't re-sign him, he can just say no and do what Brad Richards did. Essentially letting him sign somewhere else while Tampa gets nothing in return. I guess 5 years at a good cap hit is all they could get out of it.
They gave him a NMC in the final year of that deal? That's dumb.

Not a big deal necessarily. They can just deal him that summer prior to free agency if it looks like he won't sign.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 09:45 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
HFBoards, where 26 is washed up.
Don't read too much into hockeypete, that's ignorance in action. All empirical evidence (especially for goal scorers) sets the expected decline in productivity to the late 20s.

He doesn't like to accept it because it doesn't jive with him talking out of his ass.

Iginla is the ONLY player to hit 50 in the last few years after he turned 27. The last player to hit 50 goals at age 27? Peter Bondra.

Stamkos will get an absurd contract, but whoever signs him will not get the production that Tampa will have gotten.

Last edited by Jester: 07-20-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old
07-20-2011, 09:52 AM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
They gave him a NMC in the final year of that deal? That's dumb.

Not a big deal necessarily. They can just deal him that summer prior to free agency if it looks like he won't sign.

You know I'm really not sure when the NMC starts or ends. I see it on Capgeek so I just assumed that it was for entire contract. I could obviously be wrong. But if that's the case, Tampa really loses all the leverage.

Old
07-20-2011, 09:55 AM
Jester

Quote:
You know I'm really not sure when the NMC starts or ends. I see it on Capgeek so I just assumed that it was for entire contract. I could obviously be wrong. But if that's the case, Tampa really loses all the leverage.
Players cannot have a NMC until they are UFA eligible. So for most of the contract (just like Mike Richards) they will be able to deal him.

That being said, they never should have put that in a five year deal.

Old
07-20-2011, 09:56 AM
MrHockey1982

Quote:

Actually if you mouse over the different lock symbols on Capgeek, you can see that there are variations of each NMC/NTC except for Lecavlier, Stamkos, and St. Louis. So that means that Stamkos has a FULL NMC for the entire length of the contract!! DUMB!!

Old
07-20-2011, 09:58 AM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
Players cannot have a NMC until they are UFA eligible. So for most of the contract (just like Mike Richards) they will be able to deal him.

That being said, they never should have put that in a five year deal.

Can you please post a link to where you see this? It doesn't look that way on Capgeek.

Old
07-20-2011, 09:59 AM
Jester

Quote:
Can you please post a link to where you see this? It doesn't look that way on Capgeek.
It's in the CBA if you really care to go looking for it.

Old
07-20-2011, 10:21 AM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
It's in the CBA if you really care to go looking for it.

I just glanced at the CBA but couldn't find it so I will take your word for it. So, the first 4 years they can trade him if they want but after July 1 on the 5th year the NMC kicks in right?

Old
07-20-2011, 10:27 AM
Jester

Quote:
I just glanced at the CBA but couldn't find it so I will take your word for it. So, the first 4 years they can trade him if they want but after July 1 on the 5th year the NMC kicks in right?
Yep, but that might be tough if they are a contender.

Old
07-20-2011, 04:04 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Actually if you mouse over the different lock symbols on Capgeek, you can see that there are variations of each NMC/NTC except for Lecavlier, Stamkos, and St. Louis. So that means that Stamkos has a FULL NMC for the entire length of the contract!! DUMB!!
Just confirming that you CAN'T have a NTC/NMC before UFA eligibility.

They can trade him no problem right up until the final year of that deal kicks in.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 04:20 PM
DumpyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
Hartnell is a far better player than Malone. Both have stupid contracts though.

$5 says Jagr scores more points than Malone
Who's talking points? It is in my opinion that Malone fills a role that would be more beneficial to a team. Especially come playoff time. I'm not interested in a 39 year old scorer taking away pucks from our younger guys. I'd rather have someone in front of the net. Malone is an effective power forward who will pot 20 goals, certainly not a dynamo. Agreed the contract is horrendous. Disagree that Hartnell is "far" better.

5 bucks Malone has a better +/- ? That's an interesting bet.

DumpyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 04:24 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpyD View Post
Who's talking points? It is in my opinion that Malone fills a role that would be more beneficial to a team. Especially come playoff time. I'm not interested in a 39 year old scorer taking away pucks from our younger guys. I'd rather have someone in front of the net. Malone is an effective power forward who will pot 20 goals, certainly not a dynamo. Agreed the contract is horrendous. Disagree that Hartnell is "far" better.

5 bucks Malone has a better +/- ? That's an interesting bet.
Hartnell: +40

Malone: -34

07-20-2011, 04:26 PM
DumpyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Hartnell: +40

Malone: -34
Upcoming season vs. Jagr.

Not career vs. Hartnell.

DumpyD is offline   Reply With Quote