HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Qualifying offers to Bailey, Comeau & 4 others ** See Post # 82**

Old
07-15-2011, 09:20 AM
Brunomics

vCash: 500
Definitely don't get the Comeau hate. He's been steadily improving every season and actually plays a decent game. He'll never be confused for a 1st line winger but he can definitely contribute on a 2nd or 3rd line.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 09:23 AM
TheZec

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPIsles21 View Post
Whenever I read something like this, I always wonder what people mean? Do you mean as a top 6 forward? As a player? The guy put up 46 pts last year, he's got good speed, an excellent shot, and is defensively responsible.

Any team would love to have him on a 3rd line, which is the role he'd be playing for our team. Sure, he may not be a top 6 forward on a good team, but that doesn't make him a bad player. He's a very good 3rd line player.

And because he's a 3rd line player he would be expendable if the right deal came along. If there is a top 4 dman to be had, and the price is Comeau, the Isles should make the deal. But to say he's not that good is a distortion of the facts. Not every forward on a team is a top 6 forward.
This. I wouldn't mind trading him in a deal that brings us a top pairing defenceman, but the guy really isn't a bad player! I don't think that many 3rd liners bring more to their teams than Comeau!

TheZec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 09:26 AM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Hey everybody, I came in peace. I have a quick question. Will your current RFA's get you to the cap floor, or if not, what do you think your plan will be to get there? I am curious because I would like the Pens to take a stab at McCabe or Hannan, but I have a feeling you and a couple other teams might need to give those guys a one-year deal worth a lot of cash to get over.

froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 10:28 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by froods View Post
Hey everybody, I came in peace. I have a quick question. Will your current RFA's get you to the cap floor, or if not, what do you think your plan will be to get there? I am curious because I would like the Pens to take a stab at McCabe or Hannan, but I have a feeling you and a couple other teams might need to give those guys a one-year deal worth a lot of cash to get over.
With the current RFAs and Nino, the Isles will probably be 2-3M short of the floor. My guess is that Garth is still trying to make a trade to bring in a top-4 dman, if that fails he will sign a player over 35 to an incentive laden deal.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 10:40 AM
OlTimeHockey

The way he's progressed and seeing him start to use his SIZE (many ignore this - he can hit) and speed to get goals, seeing him play decent D and the fact that as time went on, he rarely took a shift off....YEAH, I'd put him in my top 6.

What if Bailey didn't have a **** year? Comeau would look as untouchable as Grabner or Moulson I bet - except for those who insist on a diaper changing station being installed behind the bench.

We'll see this season if he helps the attack more, scores more, has a decent +/- and uses his body.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 02:15 PM
BobbyNystromOwnsYou*

Page 4 and nobody's mentioned Micheal Haley. I was happiest to see his name on that list.

BobbyNystromOwnsYou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 05:54 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2...ne-year-deals/

07-15-2011, 06:33 PM
mygameworn

Send a message via AIM to mygameworn
All but Bailey signed. One year, two way deals. I don't see how Bailey could have any ground to negotiate.

@StapeNewsday
As for C Josh Bailey, agent Pat Morris email earlier: "Still negotiating." Bailey can reject QO, but has other rights as RFA.

@StapeNewsdayMy last tweet should have read: Josh Bailey has NO other rights as a RFA. Sides are still talking and #Isles will not be letting Bailey go.

mygameworn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 07:18 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Bailey's QO is $826,875. We're going to have to do better than that to hit the cap floor, so I hope they agree on something over $1M.

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 01:28 AM
A Pointed Stick
No! Slp! Til Brklyn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyNystromOwnsYou View Post
Page 4 and nobody's mentioned Micheal Haley. I was happiest to see his name on that list.
Agreed. I see Bailey is asking for more. If they trade Josh at this point I could care less, or maybe even encourage it to get someone who can help JT. I am just glad knowing we have Mike back and his jack hammers of justice.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 06:47 AM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riders on the Strome View Post
Bailey's QO is $826,875. We're going to have to do better than that to hit the cap floor, so I hope they agree on something over $1M.
Give money to a player who deserves it, do not over pay and RFA hit the floor. If you must overpay a guy you bring in a UFA or a player from trade. Overpaying an RFA is a bad example.

It looks like Comeau will get about 2.5 with the Wheeler signing. The Flyers and Sabres still need to dump some money so it possible something could be worked out.

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 07:42 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
Give money to a player who deserves it, do not over pay and RFA hit the floor. If you must overpay a guy you bring in a UFA or a player from trade. Overpaying an RFA is a bad example.

It looks like Comeau will get about 2.5 with the Wheeler signing. The Flyers and Sabres still need to dump some money so it possible something could be worked out.
I would have to think that the main thing Snow and the Bailey party are discussing right now are years.

I bet Snow is willing to ante up 1.5 per season, but only if Bailey signs for 5 years like Okposo and Grabner did. Bailey's agent is prolly saying take 1 million per for two years, three max, because he's thinking that by the time Bailey is 23, he's gonna be a 75 point scorer and can command a lot more.

Or something like that. It'll be interesting to see.

As for reaching the cap, there's gonna be some salary dumping by a few teams. We may not get as high a profile player as we'd like, but I think we're gonna get one without having to give up too much in the process - and that's what I'm hoping for. When teams have to dump, they take salary and low picks in return.

If a team like Ottawa is literally willing to dump, i.e. Kuba ($3.7 mil), then I've got no problem seeing a guy like that being moved in for the one year, if he drops his NTC - not only to be moved to us, but also to be involved in a deadline deal if need be.

It's the nature of the business... looking forward to it.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 08:16 AM
mygameworn

Send a message via AIM to mygameworn
The Sabres are over the cap according to Capgeek. I'm sure we can get Leopold for a pick and prospect.

mygameworn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 09:03 AM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygameworn View Post
The Sabres are over the cap according to Capgeek. I'm sure we can get Leopold for a pick and prospect.
That would be great, but I read that one of the major reasons Regehr waived to Buffalo was because he had his good friend Jordan Leopold on the team. I doubt they'd want to make Regehr unhappy before he evens plays a game for the Sabres.

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 09:26 AM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riders on the Strome View Post
I'm sorry but this is BS. The cap floor is BS. Josh Bailey doesn't deserve 826k let alone over 1 million. While I wouldn't say he's done anything to really hurt the team, his play certainly hasn't helped them either. he's just a body a warm body who hasn't made a mockery of the game basically. I hate this cap floor rule when the Islanders can't even give their $ away. It isn't an unwillingness to spend, it's the players unwillingness to come here.

The Isles shouldn't have to give a guy like Bailey over 1 million & thus drive up the market value on players like him. The floor hurts the league as much as it helps the league.

Isles Junkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 09:54 AM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
I'm sorry but this is BS. The cap floor is BS. Josh Bailey doesn't deserve 826k let alone over 1 million. While I wouldn't say he's done anything to really hurt the team, his play certainly hasn't helped them either. he's just a body a warm body who hasn't made a mockery of the game basically. I hate this cap floor rule when the Islanders can't even give their $ away. It isn't an unwillingness to spend, it's the players unwillingness to come here.

The Isles shouldn't have to give a guy like Bailey over 1 million & thus drive up the market value on players like him. The floor hurts the league as much as it helps the league.
He's a first round pick. They paid Jon Sim $1M a year. The cap keeps going up at like a 10%+ CAGR. Bailey is certainly worth $850k - $1M per in this current economic environment, especially if you have high expectations of him. The floor is irrelevant to this conversation. Garth's not going to disrupt his salary model for the sake of hitting the floor. There are lots of other ways he can get there.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 10:22 AM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
Definitely don't get the Comeau hate. He's been steadily improving every season and actually plays a decent game. He'll never be confused for a 1st line winger but he can definitely contribute on a 2nd or 3rd line.
For me, Comeau is a bit of a frustating player. I don't hate him at all. He does a lot of really good things. Unfortunately, he does a lot of stupid things. If that guy can ever make up his mind and say, "I want to be a hockey player." - he'll be REALLY good.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 11:04 AM
JPIsles21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
He's a first round pick. They paid Jon Sim $1M a year. The cap keeps going up at like a 10%+ CAGR. Bailey is certainly worth $850k - $1M per in this current economic environment, especially if you have high expectations of him. The floor is irrelevant to this conversation. Garth's not going to disrupt his salary model for the sake of hitting the floor. There are lots of other ways he can get there.
This.

No team will ever overpay a player especially for a long-term deal just to reach the floor.

The Isles current roster is worth $38.65 million. This includes 10 forwards, 7 dmen, and 2 goalies. The floor is about $48.3 million. The Isles need to take on about 10 million dollars of salary for next year.

These are my predictions for salaries:

B. Comeau = $2 million cap hit
J. Bailey = $1 million cap hit
N. Niederreiter = $2.8 million cap hit

This is about 6 million for 3 players. It leaves the Isles about 4-5 million dollars to acquire a salary dump. It's smarter to take on a good player on a bad contract (short-term) than overpaying one of your own RFAs.

I would personally like the Isles to sign Stillman to about a $3 mil 1 year deal, send Nino back to juniors, and trade for a top 4 dman from a team up against the cap (D. Wideman, etc.).

JPIsles21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 11:19 AM
IslandersFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Warrior View Post
For me, Comeau is a bit of a frustating player. I don't hate him at all. He does a lot of really good things. Unfortunately, he does a lot of stupid things. If that guy can ever make up his mind and say, "I want to be a hockey player." - he'll be REALLY good.
With all do respect....

For me, many Islanders fans on this site are a bit frustrating. I don't hate them at all. Many of them post a lot of really good things. Unfortunately, some also say alot of stupid things. If they could just make up their minds and say "The rebuilding is going fine, the Islanders have alot of RAW young hockey players that are improving (at different paces)" - they might feel REALLY good about the future of this organization.

Comeau is far from the furthest problem this organization has and it sucks that people keep beating him down. My hope is that this organization will provide a little coaching stability for awhile and allow Comeau, Bailey and the rest of their young guys to settle in to some semblence of a system. Rarely do three different head coaches in four years bode well when it comes to properly developing youngsters.

IslandersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 11:23 AM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
The Isles need to take on about 10 million dollars of salary for next year.
They need $10 million in cap hit, not salary. No way Wang wants to spend $48 Mil CASH.

Nino is making this team b/c Wang can shelter the cash ($1 mil) vs. his cap hit ($2.9 mil).

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 11:32 AM
JPIsles21

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
They need $10 million in cap hit, not salary. No way Wang wants to spend $48 Mil CASH.

Nino is making this team b/c Wang can shelter the cash ($1 mil) vs. his cap hit ($2.9 mil).
I don't see the Isles rushing Nino if they don't think he's ready just to save a couple of million dollars. Wang wanted to spend this year with Ehrhoff, last year with Martin. I don't think Wang will interfere with a rebuild by nickel and diming.

However, I get the feeling that the Isles management thinks that Nino is ready, and that will be the reason he makes the team. I don't think the decision will come down to the cap hit/salary gradient.

Old
07-20-2011, 12:02 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
I don't see the Isles rushing Nino if they don't think he's ready just to save a couple of million dollars. Wang wanted to spend this year with Ehrhoff, last year with Martin. I don't think Wang will interfere with a rebuild by nickel and diming.

However, I get the feeling that the Isles management thinks that Nino is ready, and that will be the reason he makes the team. I don't think the decision will come down to the cap hit/salary gradient.
They certainly rushed Bailey absent his dollars. Now, with more at stake in terms of the pocket book? Whether NYI have shown a willingness to spend is irrelevant. If they signed Erhoff, he just takes up the space to reach the floor. Nino can still make it, but maybe that takes away from a 100% cash based acquisition to meet the floor.

$48 million cash would be the largest Wang ever spent on a team during his tenure. I'm sure he's not too happy he has to spend that amount of money with crappy attendance and no positive news on the arena.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 12:07 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan View Post
With all do respect....

For me, many Islanders fans on this site are a bit frustrating. I don't hate them at all. Many of them post a lot of really good things. Unfortunately, some also say alot of stupid things. If they could just make up their minds and say "The rebuilding is going fine, the Islanders have alot of RAW young hockey players that are improving (at different paces)" - they might feel REALLY good about the future of this organization.

Comeau is far from the furthest problem this organization has and it sucks that people keep beating him down. My hope is that this organization will provide a little coaching stability for awhile and allow Comeau, Bailey and the rest of their young guys to settle in to some semblence of a system. Rarely do three different head coaches in four years bode well when it comes to properly developing youngsters.
I overwhelmingly agree. And I don't feel disrespected at all. Just to make myself more clear, I think that Comeau is a good hockey player, he just needs to be more consistent. Easier said than done. He is truly the least of our problems.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 12:10 PM
Fantom

Quote:
They certainly rushed Bailey absent his dollars. Now, with more at stake in terms of the pocket book? Whether NYI have shown a willingness to spend is irrelevant. If they signed Erhoff, he just takes up the space to reach the floor. Nino can still make it, but maybe that takes away from a 100% cash based acquisition to meet the floor.

$48 million cash would be the largest Wang ever spent on a team during his tenure. I'm sure he's not too happy he has to spend that amount of money with crappy attendance and no positive news on the arena.
I think if we get a yes vote Aug 1 we will then make move for higher paid players via trade. If we get a no vote he will not spend a penny more then needed

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 01:03 PM
JPIsles21

Quote:

Circumstances were different with Bailey. Bailey, at the time, may very well have been one of the best 12 forwards the Isles had on that roster. That was more of a poor developmental decision. There is no evidence of that being a financial decision. Snow and staff thought he was ready and brought him up.

Signing Ehrhoff would have been pure salary (not just cap, as is the case with Nino). While Wang has definitely not shown the willingness to spend to the max, his "cheapness" is far overrated on these boards. And the fact that a team would rush a prospect just to not spend real dollars on a place holder is detrimental to the health of a franchise and poor asset management.

Wang has also shown the willingness to spend a bit of money as witnessed by the Isles trying to sign marquee dmen over the last couple of years. However, nobody seems to want to take his money. I'm under the impression that this is being misread as gross "cheapness."