HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The Little Things Fail to Add Up For Flyers Offseason

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-20-2011, 09:44 AM
  #1
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft
 
BleedOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Oshawa Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,055
vCash: 500
The Little Things Fail to Add Up For Flyers Offseason

http://philly.sbnation.com/2011/7/19...yers-offseason

Quote:
Most casual fans do not pay close attention to the backup AHL goalie or the Flyers' depth defensemen. But it is in this minutiae that the philosophy of the organization becomes clear.


Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 07-20-2011 at 10:08 AM.
BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 09:54 AM
  #2
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
I cannot believe that I just read an article, that isn't Bill Meltzer, that I fully agree with.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 10:04 AM
  #3
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,997
vCash: 500
What a brilliant article. Wow.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 10:05 AM
  #4
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
The Lilja signing is moronic.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 10:11 AM
  #5
mirimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Wrong Town
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Bacashihua was signed so we'd have a goalie that doesn't have to go through re-entry waiver though, right?

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 10:13 AM
  #6
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God
 
KimiFerrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Argentina
Posts: 3,817
vCash: 500
Many moves these past few season have been moronic. Lilja is part of Homer's master plan to trade away the extra second rounder he got from the Richie trade.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 10:21 AM
  #7
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Bacashihua was signed so we'd have a goalie that doesn't have to go through re-entry waiver though, right?
I think just exempt from waivers altogether. That is the plus.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 10:27 AM
  #8
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,877
vCash: 500
I don't read this **** anymore from them.... They have become the most pessimistic flyers fans i have ever seen. Geoff detweiler or whatever bashes the flyers constantly about Bryz and then when Vokoun signed he went off. I think he failed to realize that Vokoun signed that cheap because he literally had no other option other than the Caps. Broadstreethockey has fallen off a ton since i first started reading it

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 10:29 AM
  #9
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
I don't read this **** anymore from them.... They have become the most pessimistic flyers fans i have ever seen. Geoff detweiler or whatever bashes the flyers constantly about Bryz and then when Vokoun signed he went off. I think he failed to realize that Vokoun signed that cheap because he literally had no other option other than the Caps. Broadstreethockey has fallen off a ton since i first started reading it
Vokoun signing a modest to cheap deal was easily predictable. In fact, I and others predicted it here months ago.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 10:29 AM
  #10
wahoowa
All in the Game
 
wahoowa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The Lilja signing is moronic.
I still can't wrap my mind around it and the article attacks it quite well. I wonder what drugs Paul Holmgren was on when they not only signed him but gave him a TWO year deal.

wahoowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 10:31 AM
  #11
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,594
vCash: 769
sounds like someone from HFBoards wrote that.

I can agree with the Lilja statement, but that doesnt take a genius to figure that out. The other points are wel, pointless to make. If Eriksson was that good of a goalie, why did he go undrafted when he re-entered the draft? And Backlund, if the rumours re true, won't be with the club next year

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 10:32 AM
  #12
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
I don't read this **** anymore from them.... They have become the most pessimistic flyers fans i have ever seen. Geoff detweiler or whatever bashes the flyers constantly about Bryz and then when Vokoun signed he went off. I think he failed to realize that Vokoun signed that cheap because he literally had no other option other than the Caps. Broadstreethockey has fallen off a ton since i first started reading it
What you're failing to understand is that the people that are/were upset about it (not me, really), are saying we could have been the situation where he had no other option.

As FA has shaken out, 3 teams needed goalies: Us, Colorado, and Washington. Washington shouldn't even count because they traded their goalie to Coloardo. So really 2 teams, to fight for 2 goalies (Bryz and Vokoun). Had Colorado signed Bryz, WE would have been the only team Vokoun had left to sign with.

Edit: Just like last year, it's really not all that difficult to predict supply and demand. How many teams need goalies? How many goalies are there? More teams than goalies = They will all be expensive. More goalies than teams = someone will be cheap.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 10:36 AM
  #13
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
sounds like someone from HFBoards wrote that.

I can agree with the Lilja statement, but that doesnt take a genius to figure that out. The other points are wel, pointless to make. If Eriksson was that good of a goalie, why did he go undrafted when he re-entered the draft? And Backlund, if the rumours re true, won't be with the club next year
We may never exactly regret letting Eriksson go because it's not easy for goalies to make the NHL, but I can guarantee you that he will make a bunch of people, particularly on this board, think twice about the Flyers' decision at some point down the line.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 10:42 AM
  #14
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Vokoun signing a modest to cheap deal was easily predictable. In fact, I and others predicted it here months ago.
I understand that Vokoun signed a hell of a deal in Washington, but i would rather have Bryz. He is heading into his prime and has been an elite goalie(i know Vokoun hasnt been bad either) Plus he is much younger.

I also realize one argument will be if we signed Vokoun to that cheap contract carter or Richards might not have been traded. I feel like Snider and Holmgren made up their mind this offseason that there was something wrong with those players, whether in the locker room or work ethic, they weren't gonna stay in Philadelphia past this offseason. Holmgren was upset probably because he put some much stock into the kids that they would turn their problems around but they never seemed to.

The flyers made moves that they thought would help the orginazation and its unfair to past judgement now because the season hasn't even begun. So many people have written us off already just cuz we traded Richie and Carts. I feel like thats the typical philly fan and its sad. Im extremely excited to see what Claude Giroux does this season with all the opportunity to become a superstar in the league.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 10:49 AM
  #15
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
I understand that Vokoun signed a hell of a deal in Washington, but i would rather have Bryz. He is heading into his prime and has been an elite goalie(i know Vokoun hasnt been bad either) Plus he is much younger.

I also realize one argument will be if we signed Vokoun to that cheap contract carter or Richards might not have been traded. I feel like Snider and Holmgren made up their mind this offseason that there was something wrong with those players, whether in the locker room or work ethic, they weren't gonna stay in Philadelphia past this offseason. Holmgren was upset probably because he put some much stock into the kids that they would turn their problems around but they never seemed to.

The flyers made moves that they thought would help the orginazation and its unfair to past judgement now because the season hasn't even begun. So many people have written us off already just cuz we traded Richie and Carts. I feel like thats the typical philly fan and its sad. Im extremely excited to see what Claude Giroux does this season with all the opportunity to become a superstar in the league.
Theoretically, we could've gone into the 2011-12 season like this:

Hartnell - Briere - Leino
vanRiemsdyk - Giroux - Jagr
Nodl - Richards - Voracek
Talbot - Betts - Shelley

Pronger - Carle
Timonen - Coburn
Meszaros - Gustafsson

Vokoun
Bobrovsky

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 10:54 AM
  #16
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
I understand that Vokoun signed a hell of a deal in Washington, but i would rather have Bryz. He is heading into his prime and has been an elite goalie(i know Vokoun hasnt been bad either) Plus he is much younger.

I also realize one argument will be if we signed Vokoun to that cheap contract carter or Richards might not have been traded. I feel like Snider and Holmgren made up their mind this offseason that there was something wrong with those players, whether in the locker room or work ethic, they weren't gonna stay in Philadelphia past this offseason. Holmgren was upset probably because he put some much stock into the kids that they would turn their problems around but they never seemed to.

The flyers made moves that they thought would help the orginazation and its unfair to past judgement now because the season hasn't even begun. So many people have written us off already just cuz we traded Richie and Carts. I feel like thats the typical philly fan and its sad. Im extremely excited to see what Claude Giroux does this season with all the opportunity to become a superstar in the league.
I agree with your general sentiment. I'm not mad about the Vokoun versus Bryz thing. I preferred Bryz as well.

That said, I don't think the people that are mad about Vokoun are wrong, persay. It was easily predicted.

As to the bolded...
I disagree about "the typical philly fan". I personally think Flyers fans are a different animal that the rest of Philadelphia Sports fans. It pains me to say this but I actually really agree with something Mike Missanelli said a few weeks back.

He essentially said that Flyers fans are sheep and drink the Kool Aid of the front office. Someone called in and wanted to talk Flyers and was spouting about how the team is going to be better, etc. Missanelli then said, and I couldn't agree more: (I'm paraphrasing) "I don't get you Flyers fans. The Flyers are the complete definition of an unknown right now. Half the team has been turned over. Your best defenseman is hurt and old. Your other best defenseman is old. You're heavily relying on a bunch of unknowns to produce offensively. Yes they have tons of talent, but it is completely illogical to make claims that they are better right now; because nobody knows. They could be, but they also may not be."

I just think he hit the nail on the head. Time and time again, I get in discussions with friends/family (who are typical Flyers fans imo), who just eat up anything and everything the front office does.

I think we all have every right to be EXCITED about this team. I certainly am, but that doesn't mean people aren't allowed to criticize specific things, even little moves.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 11:03 AM
  #17
Rick Deckard
Registered User
 
Rick Deckard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I think just exempt from waivers altogether. That is the plus.
He isn't exempt from regular season waivers, no one except young players is. He is exempt from re-entry waivers because he basically is an AHL veteran. (As you know, rules for both are a little more complicated)

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 11:03 AM
  #18
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I agree with your general sentiment. I'm not mad about the Vokoun versus Bryz thing. I preferred Bryz as well.

That said, I don't think the people that are mad about Vokoun are wrong, persay. It was easily predicted.

As to the bolded...
I disagree about "the typical philly fan". I personally think Flyers fans are a different animal that the rest of Philadelphia Sports fans. It pains me to say this but I actually really agree with something Mike Missanelli said a few weeks back.

He essentially said that Flyers fans are sheep and drink the Kool Aid of the front office. Someone called in and wanted to talk Flyers and was spouting about how the team is going to be better, etc. Missanelli then said, and I couldn't agree more: (I'm paraphrasing) "I don't get you Flyers fans. The Flyers are the complete definition of an unknown right now. Half the team has been turned over. Your best defenseman is hurt and old. Your other best defenseman is old. You're heavily relying on a bunch of unknowns to produce offensively. Yes they have tons of talent, but it is completely illogical to make claims that they are better right now; because nobody knows. They could be, but they also may not be."

I just think he hit the nail on the head. Time and time again, I get in discussions with friends/family (who are typical Flyers fans imo), who just eat up anything and everything the front office does.

I think we all have every right to be EXCITED about this team. I certainly am, but that doesn't mean people aren't allowed to criticize specific things, even little moves.
I agree with what you said here definitely. I didnt say we would be better, im just excited to see what they will do with all the extremely young and talented team we will ice this upcoming season.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 11:04 AM
  #19
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
I understand that Vokoun signed a hell of a deal in Washington, but i would rather have Bryz. He is heading into his prime and has been an elite goalie(i know Vokoun hasnt been bad either) Plus he is much younger.

I also realize one argument will be if we signed Vokoun to that cheap contract carter or Richards might not have been traded. I feel like Snider and Holmgren made up their mind this offseason that there was something wrong with those players, whether in the locker room or work ethic, they weren't gonna stay in Philadelphia past this offseason. Holmgren was upset probably because he put some much stock into the kids that they would turn their problems around but they never seemed to.

The flyers made moves that they thought would help the orginazation and its unfair to past judgement now because the season hasn't even begun. So many people have written us off already just cuz we traded Richie and Carts. I feel like thats the typical philly fan and its sad. Im extremely excited to see what Claude Giroux does this season with all the opportunity to become a superstar in the league.
Forget about Richards and Carter, as that is irrelevant to this discussion and my problem with Bryz over Vokoun. Bob was very good last year. I think Bob is going to be a good goalie in this league.

By signing Bryz, we essentially announced that if Bob has success it won't be here. You could have signed Vokoun (who is at worst just behind Bryz right now) and in a couple years turned the job over to a more seasoned Bob.

In the short term you would have saved a ton of cash to help the team elsewhere, and in the long term we may have had a goalie in his prime for the next decade. Bryz is great and should be good, but I do would not assume he will be playing at this level for all nine years of his deal.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 11:05 AM
  #20
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,877
vCash: 500
Also i think that Backlund will be loaned over to sweden if he doesnt make the NHL roster(long shot) this training camp. I believe that was the reason behind the Bachawhatever signing. He's been a good AHL goalie and will back up Leighton maybe.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 11:06 AM
  #21
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Also i think that Backlund will be loaned over to sweden if he doesnt make the NHL roster(long shot) this training camp. I believe that was the reason behind the Bachawhatever signing. He's been a good AHL goalie and will back up Leighton maybe.
Then you are ignoring part of the point. Sign him to an AHL contract.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 11:09 AM
  #22
Rick Deckard
Registered User
 
Rick Deckard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Vokoun signing a modest to cheap deal was easily predictable. In fact, I and others predicted it here months ago.
If we don't sign Bryzgalov before July 1st, the market changes completely. Neither of both signs for cheap because both can hope for a big deal with the Flyers, the Stanley Cup contender in search for the starter. We get one of them possibly cheaper than what we pay for Bryzgalov, but neither signs for the money the desperate Vokoun signed.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 11:10 AM
  #23
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Forget about Richards and Carter, as that is irrelevant to this discussion and my problem with Bryz over Vokoun. Bob was very good last year. I think Bob is going to be a good goalie in this league.

By signing Bryz, we essentially announced that if Bob has success it won't be here. You could have signed Vokoun (who is at worst just behind Bryz right now) and in a couple years turned the job over to a more seasoned Bob.

In the short term you would have saved a ton of cash to help the team elsewhere, and in the long term we may have had a goalie in his prime for the next decade. Bryz is great and should be good, but I do would not assume he will be playing at this level for all nine years of his deal.
I agree to some extent with what you have said. But who is to tell BOB has a great career and even becomes close to what Bryz has done. There have been many many goalies who have had excellent first years in the NHL and then fell flat on their faces. not saying BOB would do so but they got the sure thing in Bryz who will most likely backstop the team for the almost next decade. I also think Bryz will probably play out most of his contract and then at the latter end of it head back to mother Russia to retire in his homeland.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 11:12 AM
  #24
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Then you are ignoring part of the point. Sign him to an AHL contract.
Ahh good point sir good point

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 11:14 AM
  #25
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,496
vCash: 500
Wake me up when the season starts. Because I sure as hell do not sweat the little ****. Has anyone picked up this super star Eriksson yet? Now you know why he was rated 10th best not 1st like this site,and that was before we had the draft. Pick pick pick I guess it is best not to visit this site during the dog days of summerBut then misery loves company.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.