HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

La-nyi

Old
07-20-2011, 02:31 AM
northernKing

vCash: 500
La-nyi

Over the last few weeks there has been a lot written on this board and the Trade board regarding LA's depth at the D position. Many have argued that players like Voynov, Hickey and Muzzin are NHL ready but do not have a spot due to the logjam on defense at the NHL level. Some have insisted that one of them may step in when Mitchell becomes an UFA but I don't see this happening.

After the Richards deal LA is geared to win now. If Mitchell isn't extended during the season or signed in the off season I think LA will need to look for a replacement for him outside the organization. In other posts I have mentioned that I would love to see LA bring back Tim Gleason as an UFA next summer. He would bring the toughness and shut down ability of a Mitchell as well as the leadership. Another option may be B.Allen.

So with this in mind my idea was to open up a roster spot for Voynov or Hickey by trading Jack Johnson. Let me start by saying I really like JJ and he has been very good offensively for us in the playoffs (1-11-12PTS in 12 GP). He has also been putting up increasing offensive numbers every season. But as they say "you need to give something to get something"

My proposal

NYI-J.Johnson (7 yrs at $4.35M)
LA-Kyle Okposo (5 yrs at $2.8M)

The deal makes sense to me as it gives the NYI a top offensive dman to go with Streit and he is young enough to also fit in with their core rebuild. Streit is 33 and an UFA is 2 seasons. The higher cap hit also helps them get closer to the cap floor.

For LA they would get a solid young power forward with a very good scoring touch and solid playmaking ability too. With him locked in for 5 yrs at a great hit LA would have almost unmatched scoring potential on its top 3 lines. As an added bonus he has played with Trevor Lewis before in the USHL. The only real problem may be that with him on Kopitar's RW it would push Brown to the 3rd line or maybe over to the LW if Penner isn't brought back in 2012-13. But thats not too bad a problem to have.

Penner-Kopitar-Williams
Gagne-Richards-Okposo
Clifford-Stoll-Brown
Richardson-Lewis-Westgarth

DD-Mitchell
Voynov-Scuderi
AMart-Greene
Hickey or Muzzin as 7th dman

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 02:34 AM
Tatsdzyuk
wet fish

Love it but you will get flamed by Kings fans I assume. Okposo is dirty when healthy.

Tatsdzyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 02:46 AM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Not until Voynov proves he can play at the NHL level.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 02:51 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Voynov isn't as physical nor as strong or fast as Johnson. Year after year, Johnson continues to be under appreciated by Kings fans. Okposo doesn't bring anything to the Kings that they are lacking in. Removing Johnson from the blueline leaves a big hole on the blueline, a hole no prospect is ready to fill with 20+ minutes a night.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 03:00 AM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

I won't do that. Like Ziggy said, it will leave a hole on the blue line. I do like the idea of bringing Gleason back if Mitchell isn't re-signed.

FrozenKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 03:03 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

That's the kind of move you make if you are cup favorites for several years and fall short, ie: the sharks. It's a move to make a move. If something is horribly wrong with the team throughout the year by the trade deadline, and scoring or toughness is still a problem, then i am amiable to a deal like this. Until then however, there is no reason to trade any of our young and established top players.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 03:31 AM
crush with eyeliner

2much for a guy who hasn't even scored 20 goals or proven he can stay healthy
ive been dreaming about jj for evander kane though

crush with eyeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 03:57 AM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

I don't want no scrub
a scrub is a guy that can't get no love from me
hanging out the passenger side
of his best friend's ride
trying to holler at me

drugold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 04:24 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Do the Kings need another power forward?

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 05:02 AM
Jungle Boy

Voynov + Hickey

for

Nino Niederreiter OR Comeau + NYI 3rd

Jungle Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 05:20 AM
son of earl

Send a message via AIM to son of earl
Its not that bad but you don't trade a top 4 young defender because you have prospects that maybe be able to step in his shoes. At least not when you are in a win mode and just signed him ti a nice long contract with a nice cap hit.

son of earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 06:46 AM
Kingsfan1

Johnson negotiated his own contract. He loves LA. Dean loves his style of play and doesn't care whether us fans like him or not. Jack is only going to get better and he committed to us for 7 years at a reasonable cap hit. I want players here who want to be here. SO NO DEAL BUD !

Kingsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 08:27 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Anything to wipe that smirk off his face.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 08:29 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Johnson would only be moved for a talent like Parise.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 09:39 AM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

We're not really that deep on defense & need to keep what we have.
Martinez could easily take a step backward. Greene or Mitchell or Scuderi will probably be injured at some point. Muzzin is a good #7 but that's all. Voynov and Hickey will be ready at some point, but how soon?

Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 09:59 AM
johnjm22

I'm open to the idea of moving Johnson, but Okposo alone isn't enough of a return.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 10:25 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drugold View Post
I don't want no scrub
a scrub is a guy that can't get no love from me
hanging out the passenger side
of his best friend's ride
trying to holler at me

Last edited by Buddy The Elf: 07-20-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 11:20 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Boy View Post
Voynov + Hickey

for

Nino Niederreiter OR Comeau + NYI 3rd
Those are complete opposite ends of the spectrum. A franchise cornerstone type player, or a 2nd/3rd liner.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 11:26 AM
BallPointHammer
Franchise Enforcer

How about we keep Jack Johnson. All these trade proposals using him as bait to get something else are nonsense. Keep our good players. Now is the time to win.

BallPointHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 11:35 AM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Would be stupid on our part. First off, we have a solid top six right now, don't need more help in atm. Second, why would we trade Jack Johnson? I thought one of the Kings' strong suits is our defense. Why would we trade one of our best young defensemen?

More importantly, Jack Johnson did something not many players do. He showed his commitment to the Kings by not even hiring an agent, and working something out quickly and quietly with DL. That's what I call dedication to the team. Before that, I wasn't sure about JJ's future with the Kings, but now I'm sold. He's a true team player and will be part of the Kings for a long time.

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 11:43 AM
KingsCourt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Those are complete opposite ends of the spectrum. A franchise cornerstone type player, or a 2nd/3rd liner.
For real...come on!

KingsCourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 12:16 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I think we are deep enough to make a deal that sent JJ away and absorb the loss without missing a beat. That said I am a big JJ fan and know that the Kings feel that he is a great up and coming young D.

As far as the op's proposal it is an interesting suggestion but the Isles would have to add something significant to make it work. Okposo is a great young talent who's best years are ahead of him but has had a couple of hit and miss seasons where JJ is getting better and better.

I don't hate the proposal but if we were to want to move JJ I believe that we would want and get allot more than KO in return. From the Isles pov I can't imagine them saying anything but yes because JJ is exactly what they need. If we were to move JJ for KO the isles would need to add a top prospect or a 1st and a little more which makes a deal unlikely.

We have several d prospects who can step in and by mid season by at the very least solid 5/6 players and likely 3/4's. Voynov as top pairing potential and would likely be a fit within a full season for replacing JJ. The exchange would be that we would gain offence and at best lose an equal amount of D. That isn't to say that VV isn't a competent D type but with his wheels and O skills it is only natural to expect him to give up D in favor of jumping into the O.

After him we have Greene's replacement in Muzzin who will be a superior stay at home type due to his offencive skills. I think that Muzzin could end up becoming a very solid 2nd pairing player who ends up being a clutch PMD type for us. He has always had great O skills and a bit of grit but now he has rounded out his D game well enough to where he is a very solid option for us.

NDes is a couple of years away from his cup a tea but is my favorite D in our system and is a top pairing type.

I also see Hickey becoming a second pairing PMD who like Muzzin and VV is ready to play in the NHL today. Of course each of these three will need the better part of a season to make the adjustment to the NHL game but like Amart will do well enough soon enough into their first full seasons to where they can completely cover the majority of their rookie mistakes and should turn into our young exceptional core of D for the next decade.

Of course the only way to really up their value to fair market is to get them ice time at the NHL level which is why I am sort of surprised to see DavisD still on our team. I like Davis and think he has a pretty good 3rd pairing NHL caliber game but he is completely redundant on our team and is the single road block on our development program.

I have to believe that DavisD will be either moved or moved up to a forward spot before the end of this coming season to make room for one of the kids or that we will move one of the kids without establishing what fair market value actually is for them before doing so.

Move JJ? we could but I would look at every option before I decided. I like KO but don't think a straight swap is fair enough. I wouldn't take NN, not that I don't think he is a very good young talent but he has a couple of skating issues and if you watch him closely plays with his head down too often for comfort imo.

He will overcome these problems and become a very good scoring winger imo but he isn't there yet and we are loaded for Bear so picking up an unestablished winger at this point is a pretty risky gamble.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 12:17 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nK View Post
For LA they would get a solid young power forward with a very good scoring touch and solid playmaking ability too. With him locked in for 5 yrs at a great hit LA would have almost unmatched scoring potential on its top 3 lines. As an added bonus he has played with Trevor Lewis before in the USHL. The only real problem may be that with him on Kopitar's RW it would push Brown to the 3rd line or maybe over to the LW if Penner isn't brought back in 2012-13. But thats not too bad a problem to have.

Penner-Kopitar-Williams
Gagne-Richards-Okposo
Clifford-Stoll-Brown
Richardson-Lewis-Westgarth

DD-Mitchell
Voynov-Scuderi
AMart-Greene
Hickey or Muzzin as 7th dman
What is it lately with trade proposals involving young right wings who havent proven anything and people putting them in the top 6 pushing Brown down? Brown has 4 straight 24+g seasons, Okposo has no 20 g seasons.The one before this the player, who I cant remember the name of, had 1 IIRC. Why bring in the unknown to push a proven guy down?

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 12:29 PM
northernKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Voynov isn't as physical nor as strong or fast as Johnson. Year after year, Johnson continues to be under appreciated by Kings fans. Okposo doesn't bring anything to the Kings that they are lacking in. Removing Johnson from the blueline leaves a big hole on the blueline, a hole no prospect is ready to fill with 20+ minutes a night.
I have seen some post that VV has elite skating ability.
Okposo would bring top end puck skills that outside of Kopitar, not young LA forward has. A true scoring power forward.

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 12:34 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nK View Post
I have seen some post that VV has elite skating ability.
Okposo would bring top end puck skills that outside of Kopitar, not young LA forward has. A true scoring power forward.
Which is something he hasnt proven he does any better than Brown nor Penner.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote