HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Rejean Tremblay quits La Presse

Old
07-10-2011, 09:58 PM
Fel 96
Global Moderator
JFC

vCash: 300
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
God I would love if he joins TVA.
Pretty sure he will join TVA Sports.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 10:41 PM
Joe Cole

vCash: 500
See ya soon Rejean.

While it would be hard for me as an Anglo to judge the quality of this writing in la presse, I can say that his writing for Lance et Compte was not good. Full of holes, bad cultural references, and ultra weak character introductions.

I am sure he will not disappear.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 11:03 PM
THE HOFF

seems like most here who are celebrating his departure were reading him ...the irony is pretty fun to contemplate.

I haven't always enjoyed his analysis of things when I read him, but there was something to like about the persona. for every Don Cherry , there has to be a rejean tremblay... to cancel it out.

scarecrows always look silly standing on the front lines... but they do help protect the garden.

Last edited by THE HOFF: 07-10-2011 at 11:23 PM.
THE HOFF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 11:05 PM
Vineon

Quite frankly, I'm a bit saddened.

There needs to be people in the media sharing his view on local players making the team and with him gone, I wonder who is now going to carry the stick. It isn't an easy job, you will inevitably marginalise yourself in a corner doing so.. but it needs to be done. Reading the extremely childish reaction here, I can't help but think that thankfully, this forum remains extremely unrepresentative of both Québec and the average Canadiens fans.

He was also one of the few sovereignist columnists in La Presse... be that limited to a sports column. Just another reason for me not to buy the paper.

I'm sure we'll see you again, Réjean.

Vineon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 11:12 PM
Ceux de Montreal
Horrible proposal!!!

He's a better journalist than screenwriter. I know it is not saying much.

Ceux de Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 11:13 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vineon View Post
Quite frankly, I'm a bit saddened.

There needs to be people in the media sharing his view on local players making the team and with him gone, I wonder who is now going to carry the stick. It isn't an easy job, you will inevitably marginalise yourself in a corner doing so.. but it needs to be done. Reading the extremely childish reaction here, I can't help but think that thankfully, this forum remains extremely unrepresentative of both Québec and the average Canadiens fans.

He was also one of the few sovereignist columnists in La Presse... be that limited to a sports column. Just another reason for me not to buy the paper.

I'm sure we'll see you again, Réjean.
I don't think that was the main issue people had with him. A lot of decent people share that same idea and a bunch of morons too.

It's more his vindictive attitude towards the Habs and their management. He always was whining about something, never did he actually make a reasonable point.

I actually think the whole Quebecer thing on the Habs was just part of that. I'm pretty sure if the Habs had francophones making up half the team, he'd still ask for more, because he just had to be bitter about something.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 11:13 PM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
See ya soon Rejean.

While it would be hard for me as an Anglo to judge the quality of this writing in la presse, I can say that his writing for Lance et Compte was not good. Full of holes, bad cultural references, and ultra weak character introductions.

I am sure he will not disappear.
What really strikes you when you watch Lance et Compte is how little effort was put into scenarii and direction. It's basically a soap with hockey players. Very little research or talent needed. About 3 million people in the Quebec province could have written a similar TV show given the time and money.

Vsevolod Bobrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 07:52 AM
Teufelsdreck

Not only did he overestimate the Québec players the Habs had but he also overestimated the ones the Habs didn't have. Unfortunately, he isn't the only one with access to the media who's guilty of that astigmatic chauvinism. It'll never end.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 08:14 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsevolod Bobrov View Post
What really strikes you when you watch Lance et Compte is how little effort was put into scenarii and direction. It's basically a soap with hockey players. Very little research or talent needed. About 3 million people in the Quebec province could have written a similar TV show given the time and money.
The early Lance et Compte were very well done. They had great stories and shot scenes in France and Switzerland.

The newer ones are badly done, I agree.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 08:19 AM
deandebean

You won't miss him too much: he'll be in Le Journal from time to time.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 08:55 AM
HabsByTheBay

I do sympathize with Tremblay's POV that it'd be nice if the Canadiens had more Quebecois. It's part of the identity of the team and part of my attraction to the team. I took French at school in the States basically because I was a Canadiens fan and I wanted to speak the same language the players, fans and media did.

I think most Canadiens fans, even on this board, want there to be more Quebec players on the team. I think where Tremblay, myself and most people on this board disagree is that he seems to think there is an institutional bias in the organization against French-Canadian/Quebec players and that there is a waiting reservoir of F-C/Q talent that the Habs simply choose not to exploit. The facts don't really support that.

About 60 Quebec-born players played in the NHL last year, whether they were stars like St. Louis or Lecavalier or scrubs like Marc-Andre Gragnani. In 1975, there were 92, despite the NHL only having 18 teams.

In 1993, when the Habs won the Cup with a roster with 40% of the team from Quebec, there were over 100 despite the NHL having six fewer teams than today.

There's two big reasons for this. Quebec kids are playing other sports and more importantly there has been a massive influx in the NHL of Americans and Europeans. That 1993 team was the last Cup winner without a European player and only John LeClair (who, ironically, is almost certainly of Quebecois descent) and Mathieu Schneider were Americans. A team today with only two non-Canadians would be quaint and probably not that good by comparison.

Even Tampa Bay, who Tremblay and guys like him have built statues for, only have four Quebecois players in their core. They just happen to be famous and in MAB's case, a former Canadien.

I'd support Tremblay actually trying to find out why Quebecois don't play for the Canadiens, in a mature way. Do a series of articles and talk to people: are Quebec players taught wrong? are Quebec kids choosing other sports? Plenty of Quebec kids in the scouting combine listed another team than the Canadiens as their favorite - is it right to complain when lots of kids are fine with rooting for a team from the US that has hardly any Quebecois at all on their squads? Why do Quebec players like Danny Briere not want to play in Montreal, etc? Are the fans unrealistic - it sure looks like the glory days of the 70s aren't coming back, both in performance and the number of Quebec players on the squad.

If he did a series of articles on those issues, it'd be good journalism. Instead from what I've read and from what others tell me, he generally takes potshots and complains.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 09:49 AM
TheFalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post

There's two big reasons for this. Quebec kids are playing other sports and more importantly there has been a massive influx in the NHL of Americans and Europeans. That 1993 team was the last Cup winner without a European player and only John LeClair (who, ironically, is almost certainly of Quebecois descent) and Mathieu Schneider were Americans. A team today with only two non-Canadians would be quaint and probably not that good by comparison.

Even Tampa Bay, who Tremblay and guys like him have built statues for, only have four Quebecois players in their core. They just happen to be famous and in MAB's case, a former Canadien.

I'd support Tremblay actually trying to find out why Quebecois don't play for the Canadiens, in a mature way. Do a series of articles and talk to people: are Quebec players taught wrong? are Quebec kids choosing other sports? Plenty of Quebec kids in the scouting combine listed another team than the Canadiens as their favorite - is it right to complain when lots of kids are fine with rooting for a team from the US that has hardly any Quebecois at all on their squads? Why do Quebec players like Danny Briere not want to play in Montreal, etc? Are the fans unrealistic - it sure looks like the glory days of the 70s aren't coming back, both in performance and the number of Quebec players on the squad.

If he did a series of articles on those issues, it'd be good journalism. Instead from what I've read and from what others tell me, he generally takes potshots and complains.

Alot of people dont realise that and therefore assume that the habs are missing out on a ton of good QC players while there is quite fewer than years ago. I also think that cases like Latendresse and Lapierre made some people even angrier and shocked than the fact that we couldnt put our hands on a Lecavalier or Briere... people dont like to see QC players leave the club when they've been around for a while and were part of the club's identity. This said.. as a Quebecer myself, all i want is a club with the Habs identity (talent, speed, honor) whatever the players nationality... my favorite players are Markov, Cammy, Subban and Pleky.. I dont think all quebecers are irationally hoping for a 30-40% quebecer team, but some journalists fill their papers with that because it's easy and most people will agree that we need more quebecers when possible..

This whole debate is more about nostalgia than actual frustration against the present team.

Go HABS Go

TheFalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 11:34 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
I do sympathize with Tremblay's POV that it'd be nice if the Canadiens had more Quebecois. It's part of the identity of the team and part of my attraction to the team. I took French at school in the States basically because I was a Canadiens fan and I wanted to speak the same language the players, fans and media did.

I think most Canadiens fans, even on this board, want there to be more Quebec players on the team. I think where Tremblay, myself and most people on this board disagree is that he seems to think there is an institutional bias in the organization against French-Canadian/Quebec players and that there is a waiting reservoir of F-C/Q talent that the Habs simply choose not to exploit. The facts don't really support that.

About 60 Quebec-born players played in the NHL last year, whether they were stars like St. Louis or Lecavalier or scrubs like Marc-Andre Gragnani. In 1975, there were 92, despite the NHL only having 18 teams.

In 1993, when the Habs won the Cup with a roster with 40% of the team from Quebec, there were over 100 despite the NHL having six fewer teams than today.

Great post.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 02:59 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

As someone else said, 15 years too late. Actually, that's a bit unfair, I'll say 10 instead. He lost much of his prestige and panache in the last decade, and should have seen the cynicism creeping in before it got consumed by it. He could have become an elder statement, instead he turned into something between a self-loathing caricature of himself and the grumpy grampa everyone hates but still invite to the thanksgiving dinner.

I think P. Lagacé explained it the best: Tremblay was a master in finding the good stories that pushed the right buttons. That's also why the had success in writing TV series. He isn't an especially good writer (in a profession where everyone is somehow good to begin with), but he's an intelligent one. He knew to use words to make the maximum effect on his audience. Unfortunately, he ended up forgetting about the good fight, and using his powers for evil instead.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 09:24 PM
J Sawyer
Beamer Hearts VCR

Whooooo, Tremblay will now do colour commentary on Habs games on TSN, CBC and RDS sometimes all at once.
Dudes going to have so many mics in his face, that....you get what I'm getting at

J Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 07:55 AM
Fozz

Not a fan of Tremblay. He's always tried too hard to grasp attention and focused on sensationalism instead of actual hockey knowledge.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 10:46 AM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
God I would love if he joins TVA.
your wishes come true
http://tvanouvelles.ca/lcn/sports/no...20-110734.html

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 11:33 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Not a fan of Tremblay. He's always tried too hard to grasp attention and focused on sensationalism instead of actual hockey knowledge.
I like your avatar.

Is it P.K. as a kid ?

Cool.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 12:32 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
I like your avatar.

Is it P.K. as a kid ?

Cool.
It's Stamkos and Subban as kids.

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 12:45 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Oh boy, tva will be competing with RDS for the unprofessional awards, I see.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 12:59 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Oh boy, tva will be competing with RDS for the unprofessional awards, I see.
TVA already wins this by a landslide.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 01:14 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
TVA already wins this by a landslide.
Ye of little faith.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 02:16 PM
Etienne

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Ye of little faith.
Well, RDS did give the boot to Benny B a few weeks ago, that goes a long way toward respectability.

As for Réjean, I wonder if it also means he will leave CKAC. Cogeco and Quebecor have been competitors on many levels, they owned TQS before selling it to Remstar and still compete with Peladeau's empire on cable and internet distribution.

Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 08:56 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

So we'll be seeing MORE of him. He'll be on another journal, plus seeing his big face tv on TVA Sport and he'll be developping shows for Quebecor on TVA.

The guy is a giant of the profession and has talent, he's a great assett but I wished TVA Sports would have gotten fresh blood and get people that are different than the hasbeen clowns of RDS. More analatical, less colors.

Kimota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 08:09 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
The early Lance et Compte were very well done. They had great stories and shot scenes in France and Switzerland.

The newer ones are badly done, I agree.
Yeah, those were the ones written or co-written by his wife/girlfriend, Fabienne Larouche.

The really bad years are the ones he wrote on his own.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote