HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Little Things Fail to Add Up For Flyers Offseason

Old
07-20-2011, 12:14 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Then you are ignoring part of the point. Sign him to an AHL contract.
you can't just sign someone to an AHL contract if there is interest from other teams that are offering an NHL contract

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 12:22 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
If we don't sign Bryzgalov before July 1st, the market changes completely. Neither of both signs for cheap because both can hope for a big deal with the Flyers, the Stanley Cup contender in search for the starter. We get one of them possibly cheaper than what we pay for Bryzgalov, but neither signs for the money the desperate Vokoun signed.
It doesn't change that much. Bryz was always the marquee guy, and always the guy that would get a big contract.

Vokoun, at his age, wasn't.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 12:23 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
you can't just sign someone to an AHL contract if there is interest from other teams that are offering an NHL contract
Are you going to be crying into your beer if we missed out on that guy?

Old
07-20-2011, 12:25 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
I agree to some extent with what you have said. But who is to tell BOB has a great career and even becomes close to what Bryz has done. There have been many many goalies who have had excellent first years in the NHL and then fell flat on their faces. not saying BOB would do so but they got the sure thing in Bryz who will most likely backstop the team for the almost next decade. I also think Bryz will probably play out most of his contract and then at the latter end of it head back to mother Russia to retire in his homeland.
What a player HAS done is irrelevant to evaluating a signing. It's about what a player WILL do. Will Bob ever be as good as Bryz the last few years? Maybe. Do I think there is a decent chance Bob will be better than Bryz over the next nine years? Yes.

Old
07-20-2011, 12:28 PM
VanSciver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
What a brilliant article. Wow.

There was nothing brilliant about it. The writer completely missed the boat on why they signed the Goalie.

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 12:32 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post
There was nothing brilliant about it. The writer completely missed the boat on why they signed the Goalie.
Yes, I agree that went right over his head, but he captured the real problem with what the organization has done in recent years.

Big moves are not our problem. People on this board have been pointing these out for a long time.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 12:33 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Are you going to be crying into your beer if we missed out on that guy?
Backlund is leaving. I highly doubt they would have signed him if Backlund was staying with the organization

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 12:38 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Wake me up when the season starts. Because I sure as hell do not sweat the little ****. Has anyone picked up this super star Eriksson yet? Now you know why he was rated 10th best not 1st like this site,and that was before we had the draft. Pick pick pick I guess it is best not to visit this site during the dog days of summerBut then misery loves company.
do you ever find anything wrong in what the Flyers do? This season has a chance to blow up in our face. I agree with just about everything true in that article.
you wonder why we only have 125k in cap space right now? one of them was stupid decision to give Lilja a contract for 2 ****ing seasons.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 12:39 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:

Agree 1000%.....brilliant is thrown around pretty loosely in this thread.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
VanSciver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I think just exempt from waivers altogether. That is the plus.
He won't be exempt from Waivers but due to his AHL salary, he will be exempt from recall waivers.

Quote:
He isn't exempt from regular season waivers, no one except young players is. He is exempt from re-entry waivers because he basically is an AHL veteran. (As you know, rules for both are a little more complicated)
His AHL salary is above 105K is why he is exempt from rentry waivers.

Quote:
Then you are ignoring part of the point. Sign him to an AHL contract.
The point is that the Flyers need a Goalie they can recall as a bacup in case of an injury to Bobrovsy or Bryzgalov. Signing him to an AHL deal doesn't help that.

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DUHockey9

Another article that I like by this guy.

He does kind of come off like a pessimist though haha.

http://philly.sbnation.com/philadelp...sts-hate-stats

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 12:40 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
He isn't exempt from regular season waivers, no one except young players is. He is exempt from re-entry waivers because he basically is an AHL veteran. (As you know, rules for both are a little more complicated)
Quote:
He won't be exempt from Waivers but due to his AHL salary, he will be exempt from recall waivers.

The point is that the Flyers need a Goalie they can recall as a bacup in case of an injury to Bobrovsy or Bryzgalov. Signing him to an AHL deal doesn't help that.
Ah gotcha. Thanks guys.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 12:41 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Another article that I like by this guy.

He does kind of come off like a pessimist though haha.

http://philly.sbnation.com/philadelp...sts-hate-stats

Then he'll be a hit on here.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 12:41 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Backlund is leaving. I highly doubt they would have signed him if Backlund was staying with the organization
Irrelevant right now... Anddoesnt change the fact that a NHL contract is a bitof a waste on a guy like that.

Old
07-20-2011, 12:44 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
It doesn't change that much. Bryz was always the marquee guy, and always the guy that would get a big contract.

Vokoun, at his age, wasn't.
Sure, Vokoun would have signed for relatively less. But does anyone honestly believe that Vokoun would have settled for $1.5 mil with the Flyers? I don't know what numbers you put on the market not changing that much. As Rick D posted, the Flyers essentially were the goaltending market: a serious Cup contender whose biggest need was a G upgrade to take them to the next level, or so every hockey pundit said. As long as the Flyers were looking, the price was going to be higher for either option: it's the Heisenberg uncertainty principle of the FA market.

My guess would have been 3 years at $3 mil per for Vokoun.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Rick Deckard

Quote:

Actually, his salary would expose him to reentry waivers, above $105K. But he played no NHL games in recent years but many professional games (there are numbers for both borders) and because of that he's viewed as a minor league veteran and is allowed to earn more than $105K in the AHL.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 12:48 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Sure, Vokoun would have signed for relatively less. But does anyone honestly believe that Vokoun would have settled for $1.5 mil with the Flyers? I don't know what numbers you put on the market not changing that much. As Rick D posted, the Flyers essentially were the goaltending market: a serious Cup contender whose biggest need was a G upgrade to take them to the next level, or so every hockey pundit said. As long as the Flyers were looking, the price was going to be higher for either option: it's the Heisenberg uncertainty principle of the FA market.

And I would have loved that deal.

Vokoun always made more sense f you actually believed Bob is going to be good.

Old
07-20-2011, 12:49 PM
infidelappel*

Wow, this is a pretty well-reasoned and intelligent article. I went to high school and played hockey with Geoff for a few years, and didn't even realize he'd written it until after I finished reading it and one other article.

I approve.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 12:51 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post

both Vokoun and Bryzgalov would have got 4 million or more if they both were on the open market July 1. I dont think we would have got Vokoun at a reasonable price. He wasnt going to waive his NTC before July 1 so we could acquire his rights.
He probably decided that Bryzgalov and himself were going to be on the market on July 1 and he would get his money. When that didnt happen he went with the safe route and signed a cheap deal with a contender. I dont know if Vokoun was ever on the Flyers radar or not, but they clearly decided Bryzgalov was their guy in June.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 01:07 PM
MsWoof

Quote:

This would have been perfect. I'll read the article at home but as far as the article goes about drinking the kool aid, it resonated with me as well. Snider did NO favours to this fan base when he told the world we were going to get a goalie. There were only 2 goalies out there and by trading for Bryz's rights, he was given a blank cheque. The guy must have loved being picked up at the airport and given the royal treatment because he knew he had the Flyers front office in the palm of his hand.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 01:07 PM
BernieParent

Quote:

I would have been on board with that, too. Sorry if I was attributing to you a nice strawman around a $1.5 mil-a-year Vokoun.

Signing Vokoun for 2-3 years, however, means competing for the Cup and that Richards and Carter remain Flyers. If the darkly hinted-at circumstances meant Holmgren was dead-set on trading them, I'm not so sure I'd be as favourable for a Vokoun deal. I'm guardedly optimistic about Bob becoming a top goaltender; his strengths are significant but so are his flaws, and better coverage of the top of the net will take a large change in his positioning and movement. I say Bob is about 50-50 in getting to the next level to make a career in the NHL as a starter, internationally recognized goaltending expert that I am.

For his high price tag, Bryz fits with a surer thing over the longer haul, which should coincide with the emergence (we hope) of Schenn and Couturier, and the prime (again, hoped) of Giroux and JvR.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 01:08 PM
DrHamburg

This article is far from brilliant but I understand what the point was. The goalie signed is in case of an injury backup didnt have one so now we do thats pretty much it. Leighton and Backlund have to pass through waivers right?

Lilja was signed so we could have a big defensemen like shelley. I dont think anyone is thrilled about it but Homer.

Not sure why Bryz is getting killed here. We all figured he would be paid that and most people had Vokoun signing for 3-4 million. I preferred Vokoun cause of Bob, but none of us really know last playoffs with Bob. Maybe he really did let the pressure get to him and he melted...and if that is the case I am happy we got Bryz but again we dont know what happened for sure.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 01:08 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

it's a good article, but a little pessimistic.

sure, the Lilja signing is a pretty pointless one, and the Bacashihua signing is even more boneheaded.

But while they are filling out our contract limit, they aren't players who are going to have a negative affect on the team, in all likelihood. Lilja is a solid 6th or 7th defenseman. A good depth player to have come playoff time.

i think maybe we'll see another move or 2 before the season starts

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 01:30 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Here come the armchair gm's proclaiming that they knew how the Market was going to run and how the flyer could have improved their team significantly more.

Richards and Carter were traded for a reason. Get over it. On top of that what happens if the flyers go into the Market without signing a goaltender. What happens if vokoun still signs in wash and bryz signs somewhere else. Oh wait that can't possibly happen right? Because you predicted that by the flyers offering more money they would get their guy?

I'm so depressing watching the same people preaching negativity. The only stupid deal was lilja, and it's not that bad.

Can't you just be excited for the up and coming season? No, it's the typical flyers board. It's all doom and gloom. It always is.....

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 01:38 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Here come the armchair gm's proclaiming that they knew how the Market was going to run and how the flyer could have improved their team significantly more.

Richards and Carter were traded for a reason. Get over it. On top of that what happens if the flyers go into the Market without signing a goaltender. What happens if vokoun still signs in wash and bryz signs somewhere else. Oh wait that can't possibly happen right? Because you predicted that by the flyers offering more money they would get their guy?

I'm so depressing watching the same people preaching negativity. The only stupid deal was lilja, and it's not that bad.

Can't you just be excited for the up and coming season? No, it's the typical flyers board. It's all doom and gloom. It always is.....
I'm glad you find yourself to be depressing!

Yeah, I can't wait for the upcoming season. If things stay as they are and there's any kind of injury/illness/suspension, we won't have the cap space to fill a roster, just like a few years ago. It's amazing that Homer can make the same mistakes repeatedly and keep his job.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote