HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

La-nyi

Old
07-20-2011, 12:38 PM
northernKing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
What is it lately with trade proposals involving young right wings who havent proven anything and people putting them in the top 6 pushing Brown down? Brown has 4 straight 24+g seasons, Okposo has no 20 g seasons.The one before this the player, who I cant remember the name of, had 1 IIRC. Why bring in the unknown to push a proven guy down?
While I do agree that sometimes it takes all types to make a line click, I am also a firm believer in playing top end talent together. Having watched Okposo play the last few years, when healthy, he is far more superior to Brown in terms of puck skills and hockey sense.And trust me I am a HUGE Dustin Brown fan!

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 12:40 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nK View Post
While I do agree that sometimes it takes all types to make a line click, I am also a firm believer in playing top end talent together. Having watched Okposo play the last few years, when healthy, he is far more superior to Brown in terms of puck skills and hockey sense.And trust me I am a HUGE Dustin Brown fan!
And yet hasnt done anything to prove that he should knock Brown down a line and out of the top 6.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 12:54 PM
Monarchist

What is it with all this line talk? If not for Kopitar we wouldn't even know which two other guys were "first liners" from game to game or even period to period.

Actually, now that we have Richards we have absolutely no individual who we can say is semi-permanently on *any line* whatsoever. Not that having Richards is a bad thing.

Monarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 01:01 PM
Nodoughtyboutit

Quote:
I have seen some post that VV has elite skating ability.
Okposo would bring top end puck skills that outside of Kopitar, not young LA forward has. A true scoring power forward.
Take it for what's worth but he had the fastest time in the AHL speed skating comp. in last years all star comp.

http://theahl.com/2011-skills-competition-p168900

Nodoughtyboutit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 02:11 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
yeahhh... Clifford - Stoll - Brown screms chemistry to me.

Johnson isn't going anywhere withour a 35+ goals corer is coming back.
Period

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 02:18 PM
Kingurentai

Ridiculous to move JJ. I think JJ gets a lot of heat because he makes noticeable errors at times. Especially those carry the puck out of the zone giveaways. Those pretty much negate everything else he does during a game.

Great young D we have in JJ. Stupid to trade him for anything less than something Parise, etc is involved. Also timing-wise, stupid to trade him for anything.

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 02:27 PM
northernKing

Quote:
And yet hasnt done anything to prove that he should knock Brown down a line and out of the top 6.
true he is unproven to an extent but IMO he has 35+ goal potential which I do not see in Brown. Hopefully with Richards,Gagne and Penner for a full season Brown will be able to play his style of game and not be asked to be a offensive dynamo.

PS- I'm betting on Okposo to outscore Brown this season

Old
07-20-2011, 02:33 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPointHammer View Post
How about we keep Jack Johnson. All these trade proposals using him as bait to get something else are nonsense. Keep our good players. Now is the time to win.
Exaclty.. I love the the Kings are finally in a place where there is an expectation to win. Now the fans want to jettison NHL players to make room for prospects. How about this... the prospects BEAT the NHL players out of a job. That is how it usually works. Just like Schenn and Mike Richards, we'll be lucky if any of those guys become the player that Jack Johnson is even with his faults.

I think the Kings should just keep what they have for the year and see how this team performs. There is enough talent on the team to win a Stanley Cup. Yeah i said it.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 03:17 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
true he is unproven to an extent but IMO he has 35+ goal potential which I do not see in Brown. Hopefully with Richards,Gagne and Penner for a full season Brown will be able to play his style of game and not be asked to be a offensive dynamo.

Considering Brown already has a 31 goal season its not that hard to see him getting 35. Okposo may hit 35+ but first he has to break the 20 goal then 30 goal mark first. Something he hasnt done despite being only 3 years younger.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 03:36 PM
dabeechman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodoughtyboutit View Post
Take it for what's worth but he had the fastest time in the AHL speed skating comp. in last years all star comp.

http://theahl.com/2011-skills-competition-p168900
Which also makes him the fastest skater in last years NHL All-Star game.

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 04:22 PM
Jungle Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Those are complete opposite ends of the spectrum. A franchise cornerstone type player, or a 2nd/3rd liner.
it was
Nino or
Comeau + 3rd (maybe a 2nd). Just trying to show that Kings and isles would make good trade partners. This would be a great bottom 6

Clifford - Stoll - Comeau
Richardson - Lewis - Westgarth/Parse

Jungle Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 04:26 PM
Nose of Sutter

I think if we were going to trade JJ we wouldn't of signed him to that deal.

Nose of Sutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 04:50 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Boy View Post
it was
Nino or
Comeau + 3rd (maybe a 2nd). Just trying to show that Kings and isles would make good trade partners. This would be a great bottom 6

Clifford - Stoll - Comeau
Richardson - Lewis - Westgarth/Parse
No offense here but this is the worst bootom 6 you can create out of the Kings roster.

Richardson is a playmaker not a bottom 6 player
Parse is a top 6 goals corer not a bottom 6 player
Westgarth is not a hockey player
Clifford is a destroyer not a 3rd line player
Stoll is not a center in that meaning

IMO the Kings are not suited for top/bottom 6
It's more top 9 / bottom 3

The bottom 3 should be IMO
Clifford - Lewis - speedy youngster, maybe King

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 05:05 PM
butteryslugz
L.A. Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Voynov isn't as physical nor as strong or fast as Johnson. Year after year, Johnson continues to be under appreciated by Kings fans. Okposo doesn't bring anything to the Kings that they are lacking in. Removing Johnson from the blueline leaves a big hole on the blueline, a hole no prospect is ready to fill with 20+ minutes a night.
good point! but i do beleive voynov is faster. isnt voynov a really speedy guy??

butteryslugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 05:16 PM
Nodoughtyboutit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
No offense here but this is the worst bootom 6 you can create out of the Kings roster.

Westgarth is not a hockey player

IMO the Kings are not suited for top/bottom 6
It's more top 9 / bottom 3

Hmm, I disagree with a lot of this.
I don't consider Richardson a playmaker and he's a great 3rd/4th energy/utility player. I agree with what you said about Parse and Westie. And I see Stoll and Clifford as great 3rd liners.

Old
07-20-2011, 05:17 PM
Nodoughtyboutit

Quote:
Originally Posted by butteryslugz View Post
good point! but i do beleive voynov is faster. isnt voynov a really speedy guy??
In terms of speed he's faster then JJ, but JJ is stronger.

Old
07-20-2011, 05:35 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Would love Okposo on this team, but the whole it leaves on defense without Jack(no way Martinez, Voynov, Muzzin, or Hickey can take his spot) is one not needed to create by getting Okposo.

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 06:41 PM
Nex06

How about trading Voynov/Hickey for Okposo? Oh they wouldn't do it? So it means that Johnson is better than those two? Why are we then even discussing making one of our positions weaker, especially in order to fill a nonexistent hole...

It's just summer I guess. People hate things not moving anywhere, so ideas like that keep occupying our minds.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 08:59 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 2200
Quote:
Penner-Kopitar-Williams
Gagne-Richards-Okposo
Clifford-Stoll-Brown
Richardson-Lewis-Westgarth
I really don't have a strong opinion in regards to the original trade proposal, but I don't understand why everyone keeps demoting Brownie down to the 3rd line. Brownie is a proven 2nd line RW. Okposo has yet to score 20 goals yet you want to insert him in place of Brownie???

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 09:08 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 2200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post

So, who would you have Richie replace on our top 6?

Quote:
Again, who do you think Parse should replace on our top 6?

Quote:

Clifford is an ideal 3rd liner. He's defensively reliable, can hit and score some.
Quote:
I love Stoll as our 3rd line center. Having him on our 3rd line just makes us that much stronger.

Quote:
King is a LW and he's far from speedy. I can see King making our 4LW. In fact, I think he will be our part time 4LW.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 09:09 PM
northernKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
I really don't have a strong opinion in regards to the original trade proposal, but I don't understand why everyone keeps demoting Brownie down to the 3rd line. Brownie is a proven 2nd line RW. Okposo has yet to score 20 goals yet you want to insert him in place of Brownie???
Its just that IMO based on watching both players play Okposo has more puck skills and scoring touch than Brown. I love having Brown on the Kings and he's at his best throwing big checks and crashing the net. Okposo also has that quality but his hands and instincts are better. Yes they have yet to translate into a 20 goal year but he did have 18 goals in 65 games in 08-09. My thinking is that Okposo would score on a higher percentage of chances than Brown.

Old
07-20-2011, 10:43 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I think a fair question is will Okposo be as good or better an option than Brown next season and the next several after that as opposed to who the two players are today. Okposo has a ways to go before he can be compared to Brown at this point in his career but I agree that he has the skills to do so if he can stay healthy which hasn't been a big issue really imo.

I think he has more O upside than DB and plays a meaner game but it is hard to argue against DB's salt and consistent production along with his willingness to do whatever is asked of him. That is why if I were to consider making a deal for KO where JJ was concerned the Isles would have to pony up allot more imo.

I think, myself included at times that it becomes easy to find the flaws in our own players due to the fact that we watch every shift of every game they play. When you compare that to the typical handful of games that the average fan spends watching most of the rest of the other teams play game in and game out over an 82 game season it becomes easier to find the good in other players.

I could be wrong but that is how I see it anyways.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 11:02 PM
Nex06

Quote:
Considering Brown already has a 31 goal season its not that hard to see him getting 35. Okposo may hit 35+ but first he has to break the 20 goal then 30 goal mark first. Something he hasnt done despite being only 3 years younger.
Make that 33 goals with 4 games missed.

Quote:
It's easy to say as long as you don't have to put your money on the table.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 12:11 AM
vital

Why not just trade Voynov+ for Okposo?

vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 01:11 AM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
im going to have to watch this movie. I only quoted them because the poster above me had some random TLC avatar and I dont want to trade Johnson for some scrub because a scrub is a guy who'd get no love from me, hangin on the passenger side of his best friends ride, tryin to hollar at me

drugold is offline   Reply With Quote