HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Mike Richards- Welcome to the Kingdom

Old
07-20-2011, 08:08 AM
CharlieGirl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabwaylingo View Post
I'm not liking these allegations I've heard about Richards from Philly fans. Hell he can pop pills and drink all he wants, just play your ass off on the ice...
In game 4 vs Boston this spring, at the end of the game when the Flyers were losing 4-1, he went down to block a shot with 30 seconds left to go in the game. I wouldn't be concerned about him playing his ass off.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 10:09 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
I'm not liking these allegations I've heard about Richards from Philly fans. Hell he can pop pills and drink all he wants, just play your ass off on the ice...
There were other rumours about Carter and Hartnell's wife a few years ago that were made up by a blogger in the Philly area. There is no proof that drugs or excessive partying were involved, just faceless internet posters shooting their mouths off. I really think this trade is the best thing for both of them, the front office has imploded and we're already in cap hell...in July. It sucks for us fans because there is no sense of a plan, just a puppet of a GM taking orders from an owner who wanted a goalie at all costs.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 12:26 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
There were other rumours about Carter and Hartnell's wife a few years ago that were made up by a blogger in the Philly area. There is no proof that drugs or excessive partying were involved, just faceless internet posters shooting their mouths off. I really think this trade is the best thing for both of them, the front office has imploded and we're already in cap hell...in July. It sucks for us fans because there is no sense of a plan, just a puppet of a GM taking orders from an owner who wanted a goalie at all costs.
There seems to be quite a history of this irresponsible reporting and rumor mongering from Philly, going as far back as the Lindros era, with silly rumors involving him getting into a bar fight with Brian Boitano, sleeping with Rod Brind'Amour's wife, and other silly allegations. This doesn't surprise me one bit. Richards will be in a much better environment in LA not being scrutinized by stupid reporters and ridiculous rumors.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 12:30 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Thanks Philly fans and again please do spend some time with us here this coming season, you guys are always welcome.

I watched the game vs Boston and saw that play by MR and actually became a died in the wool fan because of it. It was in my opinion one of the greatest largely unnoticed examples of leadership and dedication that I have seen in the NHL since Messier did pretty much the same thing in game 6 of the Rags cup run (though MR's was more of a statement).

As to the partying thing I agree with the average fan that it just doesn't matter. Our locker room is pretty solid according to the players and was able to deal with a couple of our own kids going through a partying phase and remain competitive. Even if the rumors are true at all I think that this move will go a long way towards helping MR reach another level as a player. He has been shown that the game is a bus. and while you want to believe that if you try your best that you will be rewarded the reality is that you have to always give your best so that you can achieve personal success first and professional success second.

Either way I see MR continuing his development as a King and am really happy he is on our team. Though I can't picture him in anything other than an Orange and Black uni just yet.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 12:46 PM
Johnny Utah

Flyers against the Cap?

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...72011/45/37176

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 01:03 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Thanks Philly fans and again please do spend some time with us here this coming season, you guys are always welcome.
Thanks - I'm sure you'll see a few of us pop in from time to time. I can tell you that the first Kings game of the season will be awful for us, although I am looking forward to seeing Gagne and Richards reunited. Unfortunately, it's for the wrong team, but to quote Holmgren, "What can you do? It is what it is."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Paul Holmgren's ability to screw up is limitless. I thought last summer was bad, until this summer arrived. Stay tuned, more bizarre/thoughtless/stupid moves are sure to follow.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 01:25 PM
jml87

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Paul Holmgren's ability to screw up is limitless. I thought last summer was bad, until this summer arrived. Stay tuned, more bizarre/thoughtless/stupid moves are sure to follow.
I have no idea what goes through that man's head.

1) Trade Simon Gagne for garbage
2) Sign Jody Shelley and Michael Leighton
3) ???
4) Profit

jml87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 01:33 PM
jml87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
There seems to be quite a history of this irresponsible reporting and rumor mongering from Philly, going as far back as the Lindros era, with silly rumors involving him getting into a bar fight with Brian Boitano, sleeping with Rod Brind'Amour's wife, and other silly allegations. This doesn't surprise me one bit. Richards will be in a much better environment in LA not being scrutinized by stupid reporters and ridiculous rumors.
Philly reporting can be positively awful. Even the Phillies aren't immune to it. Chase Utley was going through an offensive slump and the media made up a rumor that Jayson Werth was sleeping with Utley's wife. That's how ridiculous and atrocious they can be. They go after the guy who had a big hand winning the only championship Philadelphia has seen in the past 25 years.

jml87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 01:39 PM
Johnny Utah

Listen to the Pronger interview the day after the Richards trade, he pretty much laughed when they asked him about rifts in the dressing room.

So what, Richards likes to have fun, so does Simmonds, Doughty, Stoll, Richie and all the single Kings over 21.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 02:21 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Listen to the Pronger interview the day after the Richards trade, he pretty much laughed when they asked him about rifts in the dressing room.

So what, Richards likes to have fun, so does Simmonds, Doughty, Stoll, Richie and all the single Kings over 21.
Exactly, and I'm sure St. Pronger was exactly the same way before he got married. I never played hockey but I played competitive tennis for years and going out for drinks after our matches and practices were standard. That's how it is with any team, the camaraderie is what you remember most and enjoy the most. Not that winning and improving aren't a big deal and obviously I never played for money or anywhere near the level pro athletes are at but the bonding aspect is huge for a team.

Old
07-20-2011, 02:59 PM
Magicman

The so-called "Drug Use", was him using anti-informatory pills due to his bad shoulders in 2009.

He later had surgery on both shoulders before the 09/10 season.

More recent rumors are nothing more than the same.

I am more concerned about the shoulders long term. Tearing both Labrums isn't normal and does cause reduced mobility. It can also lead to separations. My left shoulder is about 80% and has been separated 6 or 7 times since the first surgery.

If he continues to need anti-inflammatory drugs for either one or both he could suffer long term side effects.

Magicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 03:06 PM
Omni Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicman View Post
The so-called "Drug Use", was him using anti-informatory pills due to his bad shoulders in 2009.

He later had surgery on both shoulders before the 09/10 season.

More recent rumors are nothing more than the same.

I am more concerned about the shoulders long term. Tearing both Labrums isn't normal and does cause reduced mobility. It can also lead to separations. My left shoulder is about 80% and has been separated 6 or 7 times since the first surgery.

If he continues to need anti-inflammatory drugs for either one or both he could suffer long term side effects.
Judging by how he plays I wouldn't be surprised to see him injured at some point, which sucks.

The Philly media thing is interesting and I'd think they'd conjure up stories to make things spicy. As long as he doesn't pull a Theo Fleury I'm fine with him partying...

Omni Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 03:39 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Judging by how he plays I wouldn't be surprised to see him injured at some point, which sucks.

The Philly media thing is interesting and I'd think they'd conjure up stories to make things spicy. As long as he doesn't pull a Theo Fleury I'm fine with him partying...
On free agent frenzy day one of the Flyers' writers tweeted that Braydon Coburn signed a 2 year, 4 million dollar extension. Never happened. Another informed us that Handzus has now a Flyer. Didn't happen. They are among the most inept breed of people you'll ever come across. There are a couple that are pretty good, but then you have Tim Panaccio and Sam Carchidi who make themselves the story and they're the 2 that both Richards and Carter had trouble with.

Old
07-20-2011, 04:04 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
On free agent frenzy day one of the Flyers' writers tweeted that Braydon Coburn signed a 2 year, 4 million dollar extension. Never happened. Another informed us that Handzus has now a Flyer. Didn't happen. They are among the most inept breed of people you'll ever come across. There are a couple that are pretty good, but then you have Tim Panaccio and Sam Carchidi who make themselves the story and they're the 2 that both Richards and Carter had trouble with.
I think he'll like it in LA, where the media attention can best be described as little-to-none. I can't think of a single controversial local media personality who covers the Kings, certainly not one who sensationalizes stories as you've described above. Granted, sometimes the beat writers will get details of a story incorrect, but its usually not malicious.

driller1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 04:09 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by driller1 View Post
I think he'll like it in LA, where the media attention can best be described as little-to-none. I can't think of a single controversial local media personality who covers the Kings, certainly not one who sensationalizes stories as you've described above. Granted, sometimes the beat writers will get details of a story incorrect, but its usually not malicious.
That's why I think he'll do really well there, you could see the hatred in his eyes when he talked to the Philly media people after a game. He almost got into a fist fight with one of them a couple of years ago. I think it will also help him to not be the next Bobby Clarke, which is what they pegged him as in Philly when he was given the captaincy.

Old
07-20-2011, 05:48 PM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

Quote:
Can someone please explain why exactly they are penalized?

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 05:53 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpa View Post
Can someone please explain why exactly they are penalized?
The penalties are for bonuses that pushed them over the cap. Some of the bonuses probably went to Bob, JVR and others on ELCs.

Same thing happened to Chicago after 09-10.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 06:01 PM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
The penalties are for bonuses that pushed them over the cap. Some of the bonuses probably went to Bob, JVR and others on ELCs.

Same thing happened to Chicago after 09-10.
Thanks, how the hell could they possibly miss out on that????

Old
07-20-2011, 06:06 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpa View Post
Thanks, how the hell could they possibly miss out on that????
How did they screw up Pronger's contract?

Holmgren is their GM still, right?

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 06:12 PM
Pucknut50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Ziggy you do know TMZ headquarters is in LA right.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 06:21 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucknut50 View Post
Ziggy you do know TMZ headquarters is in LA right.
Thankfully they're more concerned with scandals involving D-list celebrities.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 06:41 PM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
How did they screw up Pronger's contract?

Holmgren is their GM still, right?
Are we going to discuss who is incompetent again?? Staff or GM?

Old
07-21-2011, 11:54 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

The4thPeriodDB
We'll be part of @MRichie18 @LAKIngs Press Event Luncheon next Wednesday 7/27. lakings.com will stream at 1pm Pacfic.

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 12:21 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
I think it will also help him to not be the next Bobby Clarke, which is what they pegged him as in Philly when he was given the captaincy.
Dustin Brown has been in a similar situation in that people had pegged him as the next Adam Deadmarsh but he's closer to Dave Taylor. Mike can be the next Adam Deadmarsh instead.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 11:07 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

Libel is against the rules gang.

"13) Libel: Any posts libeling players, prospects, or hockey personnel. It's not acceptable to post that you heard Player X has a drinking/drug/sex/personal problem from a "good" source. Do not post information that can be considered defamatory without a link to a credible media source. Other forums, personal websites, hearsay, and personal testimonials are not considered credible. "

No mas.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote