HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eastern Conference Predictions

Old
07-20-2011, 12:43 PM
MathMan

vCash: 500
To the people who see the Hurricanes in the mix, can I ask why? Serious question. The way I see it, they were a fairly weak team last year, their 91-point record flattered them, and if anything, they got worse (they lost Cole and his replacements are not as good). Why would they leapfrog anyone?

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 12:44 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Dude, if there is one team that is more loaded in offensive depth than the Habs in the east, it's Buffalo. I prefer our D too, but it's very close.

Teams who have a complete set (top 9 F, top 4 D, solid G) are many in the east this year... Washington, Pittsburg, Montreal, Buffalo, Boston, Philly... and even Tampa Bay.

I see those 7 teams as sure locks for the playoffs.
It comes down to me having a higher opinion of Gomez and lower opinion of Leino than most people. Buffalo has nice depth though, like I said they are close enough that it could go either way. The winner of the Northeast will probably come down to some kind of luck, be it injuries, shooting luck (who gets the bounces) or hot goaltending.

Talks to Goalposts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 12:52 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
To the people who see the Hurricanes in the mix, can I ask why? Serious question. The way I see it, they were a fairly weak team last year, their 91-point record flattered them, and if anything, they got worse (they lost Cole and his replacements are not as good). Why would they leapfrog anyone?
And Kaberle is no upgrade on Pitkanen

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 01:01 PM
DAChampion

As a fan of the game, I hope to see career seasons out of Ovechkin and Crosby next year.

I hope Ovechkin recovers from his 85 point debacle from last season.

My rankings:
1) Washington
2) Pittsburgh
3) Buffalo
4) Montreal
5) Boston
6) Tampa Bay
7) New Jersey
8) New York Rangers
9) Philadelphia
10) Toronto
11) Islanders
12) Florida
13) Carolina
14) Winipeg
15) Ottawa

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 01:10 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
I don't even feel comfortable with that prediction. I think you could argue any permutation of 3-8 + the Rangers and Hurricanes. Makes me wonder how some Leafs fans can confidently say their team will make the playoffs this year. A couple of pretty good teams will probably miss out in the East.
....they have had alot of practice saying it the past few years....I think they figure eventually they will be right.

07-20-2011, 01:16 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
As a fan of the game, I hope to see career seasons out of Ovechkin and Crosby next year.

I hope Ovechkin recovers from his 85 point debacle from last season.
I wish one of OUR players had an 85 point debacle

Call me crazy, but I see TB taking their division this year.

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 01:37 PM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
As a fan of the game... I hope Ovechkin recovers from his 85 point debacle from last season.
I think that he needs to slim down. His worst points season coincided with his weight going up to the 230s. He's less explosive than at 210.

VirginiaMtlExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 02:06 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post
I wish one of OUR players had an 85 point debacle

Not with the D Washington will have. Carlson, Green, Alzner and Hamrlik... they were already very good on D last season, they're gonna be even better next season, especially with Vokoon finally having a chance to shine.

Old
07-20-2011, 02:46 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post
Tampa is very good, but Washington is the best team in the conference, hands down. They just added an elite goalie and they're barely paying him.

Old
07-20-2011, 02:59 PM
neofury*

Honestly barring injuries I think Washington has the best chance to win a cup going into 2011-12.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 03:00 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
I see it being a division dog fight between Boston/Montreal/Buffalo with the winner finishing 3rd and the other 2 finishing 5-6 due to lost points playing the division.

Pittsburgh
Tampa
Bos/Mon/Buff
Washington
Bos/Mon/Buff
Bos/Mon/Buff
Carolina
NJD

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 03:03 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Honestly barring injuries I think Washington has the best chance to win a cup going into 2011-12.
They're pretty strong everywhere except the large gapping hole at second center. Their defensive group looks especially good with
Alzner-Carlson
Hamrlik-Green
Schutlz-Wideman

Old
07-20-2011, 03:09 PM
Younghockey94

Quote:
Makes me wonder how some Leafs fans can confidently say their team will make the playoffs this year.
Almost as bad as Habs fans confidently saying they're going to win the Northeast this year, despite Boston and Buffalo in the division.

Younghockey94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 03:12 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
They're pretty strong everywhere except the large gapping hole at second center. Their defensive group looks especially good with
Alzner-Carlson
Hamrlik-Green
Schutlz-Wideman
They have a deep defense, but if Alzner and Carlson are the top 2 guys it's not very strong. Not compared to Subban-Markov.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 03:13 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
I see it being a division dog fight between Boston/Montreal/Buffalo with the winner finishing 3rd and the other 2 finishing 5-6 due to lost points playing the division.

Pittsburgh
Tampa
Bos/Mon/Buff
Washington
Bos/Mon/Buff
Bos/Mon/Buff
Carolina
NJD
No way TB finishes second place with their defense and goaltending.

Old
07-20-2011, 03:20 PM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younghockey94 View Post
Almost as bad as Habs fans confidently saying they're going to win the Northeast this year, despite Boston and Buffalo in the division.
I've seen more Leaf fans saying their team will make the playoffs than Habs fans saying their team will win the division.

Funny thing is, the Habs were actually closer to winning the division than the Leafs were to making the post-season. Doesn't stop most Leafs supporters from conveniently swapping out the Habs for their team in their prognostications.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 03:21 PM
The Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicy Rebound View Post
Not trying to nitpick, just keeping you in the know - Horton has reported no lingering after-effects from the devastating concussion he sustained in the Cup Finals. It's great news for Boston, this guy has the look of someone who's just going to continue to grow.
I don't really think a concussion would affect a player like him all that much.

The Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 03:22 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younghockey94 View Post
No, much much worse. There isn't much of gap between the top three in the NE, the winner will be who gets the most from Lady Luck. Toronto is very much on the outside looking in for the playoffs in terms of talent.

Old
07-20-2011, 03:29 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
I've seen more Leaf fans saying their team will make the playoffs than Habs fans saying their team will win the division.

Funny thing is, the Habs were actually closer to winning the division than the Leafs were to making the post-season. Doesn't stop most Leafs supporters from conveniently swapping out the Habs for their team in their prognostications.
The most cherished delusion of the Toronto fanbase is that their team is about as good as Montreal, the last four years of evidence, including years where Montreal finished 3rd in the league and another when Toronto finished 2nd last, and Montreal always in the playoff while Toronto never made it, hasn't seemed to diminish it.

Old
07-20-2011, 03:30 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
They have a deep defense, but if Alzner and Carlson are the top 2 guys it's not very strong. Not compared to Subban-Markov.
How many teams have 2 #1D though? 5 at most?

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 03:36 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
They'll fight for the president trophy, but I don't think they have the forwards willing to battle and play as a team to go deep. They did manage to get better defensively, and yet still haven't gone where they wanna go. It's just this, I don't see Ovy lifting the cup.

Old
07-20-2011, 03:47 PM
MathMan

Quote:
The most cherished delusion of the Toronto fanbase is that their team is about as good as Montreal, the last four years of evidence, including years where Montreal finished 3rd in the league and another when Toronto finished 2nd last, and Montreal always in the playoff while Toronto never made it hasn't seemed to diminish it.
Montreal has 34 more wins than Toronto over that period, and I was charitable and didn't include the playoffs. The closest Toronto has been to Montreal in any season over those last few years is seven wins behind. That is a gigantic gap. Simply put the two teams are not close.

But there's a notion going around HFBoards, and not just the Toronto fanbase really, that Montreal is a talentless team that is constantly overachieving. Year after year after year after year... A lot of the main board predictors put them out of the playoffs again.

Quote:
There's not a whole lot of teams that have a top-2 that compares to Subban-Markov, you know. They're there but you can probably count them on one hand.

Alzner-Carlson, especially backed by Mike Green, is a fine first pairing.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 07-20-2011 at 04:47 PM. Reason: merged
Old
07-20-2011, 03:50 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
How many teams have 2 #1D though? 5 at most?
At this point in their careers those guys are #4-5 guys on a contender. Washington has a whole team of #3-4-5 guys. Green has the offense of a #1 guy but plays defense like a #5-6(actually better than 2-3 years ago).

Old
07-20-2011, 03:52 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Its their top pairing that did fairly well against top opposition. The comparable for the Habs would be Subban-Gill. The strength of that unit is that its 6 men deep though. Hamrlik-Green is top pairing quality as well and Wideman-Schultz would make a respectable 2nd pairing on a lot of teams.

Markov-Subban is as good of a one-two punch at defense as their exists in the East though. The competition would be Pronger-Timonen, Letang-Martin, and Carlson-Green.

I'm pretty sure its better than Chara-Seidenberg, Myers-Regehr, Hedman-Ohlund, and Staal-Girardi.

And I'm all but certain its better than Pitkanen-Kaberle, Enstrom-Bfygulin, Tallinder-Volchenkov, Phaneuf-Schenn, Campbell-Kulikov, Streit-Hamonic and Karlsson-Gonchar,

Old
07-20-2011, 05:02 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Its their top pairing that did fairly well against top opposition. The comparable for the Habs would be Subban-Gill. The strength of that unit is that its 6 men deep though. Hamrlik-Green is top pairing quality as well and Wideman-Schultz would make a respectable 2nd pairing on a lot of teams.

Markov-Subban is as good of a one-two punch at defense as their exists in the East though. The competition would be Pronger-Timonen, Letang-Martin, and Carlson-Green.

I'm pretty sure its better than Chara-Seidenberg, Myers-Regehr, Hedman-Ohlund, and Staal-Girardi.

And I'm all but certain its better than Pitkanen-Kaberle, Enstrom-Bfygulin, Tallinder-Volchenkov, Phaneuf-Schenn, Campbell-Kulikov, Streit-Hamonic and Karlsson-Gonchar,
I'm not sure about Pronger-Timonen, they'll both be 36 years old. I wouldn't bet on both of them maintaining their level of play, especially after Pronger's injuries. As much as I dislike them, I'd rather go with Chara-Seidenberg.

I agree with you about the Caps' D, that's a solid unit.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote