HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around The NHL Part XVI

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2011, 07:41 PM
beastly115

vCash: 500
DeBoer is a stop gap anyway.

He'll be replaced by the end of next season.

Isn't that how Lou rolls these days?

Old
07-19-2011, 08:29 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
30. Remember the Seinfeld episode where George wants to get fired by the Yankees? The one where he wipes strawberries on Babe Ruth's jersey and drags the World Series trophy around the parking lot on the back of his car? That's what I thought of when I heard Jaromir Jagr signed with Philadelphia. Talk about nuking your legacy.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/ellio...-thoughts.html

Old
07-19-2011, 09:26 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Best to say that DeBoer has not proven himself as an NHL coach. He didn't have a whole hell of a lot to work with in Florida and he doesn't appear to have much more in New Jersey and it will only get worse if Parise doesn't come back.

This hiring seems almost typical of Lamoriello--easy to dump coming from outside the organization if things don't go right.

Questionable how reliable the Devils goaltending is.
Their defense is also questionable. Greene as their go to pwp qb--is no Niedermayer or Rafalski. White is old--has vision problems. Salvador is always hurt. Volchenkov also injury prone has little offense. Tallinder--a stay at home is a bit soft. How soon they can get Larsson, Merrill and Urbom up to speed is critical to them becoming a contender again.

Their offense is very questionable as well. Last place in goals scored last year. Almost 20 goals behind the second worst team. They put a good string together in the second half but they had the entire team trapping all the time. Personality wise their best forward Kovalchuk comes across as a selfish jerk. They really really need to get Parise signed to a multi year deal.

I really don't get people thinking last year was some kind of glitch. I really don't see this team going anywhere and I don't really see how Peter DeBoer--however good a coach he is--is really going to make that much difference. Lemaire could come in--and implement the old Devils style and get a respectable response but Lemaire is a really smart coach who has been around a long time but even he isn't capable of miracles. DeBoer is going to need more to work with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
DeBoer is a stop gap anyway.

He'll be replaced by the end of next season.

Isn't that how Lou rolls these days?
Really disagree big time, on both fronts. Look, anything can happen, but I really don't think this was a short term hire at all. I especially disagree with the belief that he again doesn't have much to work with. I think there is plenty. The Devils still have some holes, no doubt, but you could do a lot worse with an "on-the-fly rebuild." Yes, Parise is a big part of it. I personally think he'll be a Devil for many years to come, but even if they are forced to trade him, I think they'll get a very nice return. I don't care what kind of a person Kovalchuk is. It really doesn't matter enough to counteract the fact that he scores 40 goals a season.

Parise, Kovalchuk, Zajac, Josefson, Elias, Tedenby, Zubrus, Steckel, Clarkson, Palmieri, Rolston...that's not a bad group of forwards. Perfect? Hardly, but it is not a bad place to start from. Parise (or the 2/3 solid pieces you get back for him), Kovalchuk, Zajac, Josefson, Tedenby, Clarkson, Steckel, Palmieri are all entering or still far from their primes. On the blueline, they have bigger issues, but in some ways, are actually very similar to the Rangers. They have a lot of depth, but not much high-end ability. With Larsson and Volchenkov, they have two defensive stalwarts that will be anchors on their blueline for a while. Greene is a solid 4-6 defenseman. Tallinder was horrible last season, but I'm not willing to write him off. He was a good player in Buffalo. Merrill and Urbom are both impressive blueline prospects, and at least one of Gelinas/Corrente/Taormina should be able to stick in the big leagues, if not more.

Just keep in mind it is a work in progress. Next off-season, they get Rolston, Salvador and Colin White off of the cap. Then they are left with one more year of Elias and his salary. That is a lot of cap space. They'll also be able to move on once Brodeur finally retires. In some sense, that'll be a relief for them as a franchise. Finding a goaltender in this league is not that challenging, either.

They have a couple of big holes, but there is definitely a foundation. I think they could easily be a playoff team next year. That roster (with even an adequate performance from Fatso) is stronger than NYI, WPG, CAR, FLA, OTT, TOR, and maybe even MTL and PHI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Based on what exactly? His Juniors?
Well, yes. Pete De Boer and Guy Boucher are, IMO, two of the smartest (if not the smartest) "young" coaches in the game right now. Their systems are different, but they both stress efficiency and place an emphasis on maintaining a consistent effort to prevent opposing team's from gaining significant zone time. As bad as the Panthers are, you could see that even with them. The players weren't good enough to over come the disparity in talent, but you could see plain as day that De Boer was trying to get his team to play his way. There is only so much a coach can do.

Old
07-19-2011, 09:30 PM
JeffMangum
Debaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
I really don't get his reasoning for giving up the UFA for so cheap. I read the structure is

8 8 8 8 5.5

lolwut? ok, Stevie boy. Is it just an inverted salary where they were actually negotiating 5.5, 8, 8, 8, 8?
The bolded confused me for a second, because we're dealing with three Steve's here (me, Yzerman, and Stamkos).

But, anyway, it makes sense. He wants his money up front -- just like any other player. Time is money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Do not pass go, do not collect 200$.

If I'm Stamkos, I would've taken my lifetime contract in this CBA when the gettin's good.

His UFA deal at 26 might not be as lucrative as he'd hope.
Maybe Yzerman didn't want to give him a lifetime contract.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
07-19-2011, 10:06 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Really disagree big time, on both fronts. Look, anything can happen, but I really don't think this was a short term hire at all. I especially disagree with the belief that he again doesn't have much to work with. I think there is plenty. The Devils still have some holes, no doubt, but you could do a lot worse with an "on-the-fly rebuild." Yes, Parise is a big part of it. I personally think he'll be a Devil for many years to come, but even if they are forced to trade him, I think they'll get a very nice return. I don't care what kind of a person Kovalchuk is. It really doesn't matter enough to counteract the fact that he scores 40 goals a season.

Parise, Kovalchuk, Zajac, Josefson, Elias, Tedenby, Zubrus, Steckel, Clarkson, Palmieri, Rolston...that's not a bad group of forwards. Perfect? Hardly, but it is not a bad place to start from. Parise (or the 2/3 solid pieces you get back for him), Kovalchuk, Zajac, Josefson, Tedenby, Clarkson, Steckel, Palmieri are all entering or still far from their primes. On the blueline, they have bigger issues, but in some ways, are actually very similar to the Rangers. They have a lot of depth, but not much high-end ability. With Larsson and Volchenkov, they have two defensive stalwarts that will be anchors on their blueline for a while. Greene is a solid 4-6 defenseman. Tallinder was horrible last season, but I'm not willing to write him off. He was a good player in Buffalo. Merrill and Urbom are both impressive blueline prospects, and at least one of Gelinas/Corrente/Taormina should be able to stick in the big leagues, if not more.

Just keep in mind it is a work in progress. Next off-season, they get Rolston, Salvador and Colin White off of the cap. Then they are left with one more year of Elias and his salary. That is a lot of cap space. They'll also be able to move on once Brodeur finally retires. In some sense, that'll be a relief for them as a franchise. Finding a goaltender in this league is not that challenging, either.

They have a couple of big holes, but there is definitely a foundation. I think they could easily be a playoff team next year. That roster (with even an adequate performance from Fatso) is stronger than NYI, WPG, CAR, FLA, OTT, TOR, and maybe even MTL and PHI.
I'm not as big a fan of Palmieri as others are but there are way too many Rangers fans who don't give any credit to players like Tedenby, Josefson, Taormina, etc. Not so mention Larsson and Urbom. Elias is over the hill and still potting 60 points.

The Rangers fans who are downplaying the Devils must be the same ones who have done so the last 15 years. It gets old listening to it every offseason. And I loathe the Devils. More than anyone. But I'm not stupid. Fool me once...Fool me for a decade...

Old
07-19-2011, 10:26 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I was saying "Don't count them out yet!" for most of the season, regarding the Devils. It was actually right around when I said "They're done!" that they went on that unreal run, go figure.

Never count them out.

Old
07-20-2011, 12:02 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
I was saying "Don't count them out yet!" for most of the season, regarding the Devils. It was actually right around when I said "They're done!" that they went on that unreal run, go figure.

Never count them out.
Except that even after they went on that run, they were never in it.

Old
07-20-2011, 04:52 AM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Just saw Stamkos signed with Tampa for 5 years 37.5 mil

Old
07-20-2011, 04:56 AM
Black Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post

Well, yes. Pete De Boer and Guy Boucher are, IMO, two of the smartest (if not the smartest) "young" coaches in the game right now. Their systems are different, but they both stress efficiency and place an emphasis on maintaining a consistent effort to prevent opposing team's from gaining significant zone time. As bad as the Panthers are, you could see that even with them. The players weren't good enough to over come the disparity in talent, but you could see plain as day that De Boer was trying to get his team to play his way. There is only so much a coach can do.
And who exactly did he have to manage and discipline in Florida? It will be amusing watching him try to bench Brodeur or coach Kovalchuk. It's easy to make a team like Florida work hard and play every shift, it's much harder with a team of SC vet millionaires.

Old
07-20-2011, 07:06 AM
azrok22

I think DeBoer is definitely a better coach than Maclean.

I think Deboer is definitely a worse coach then Lemaire.

Where he falls in between that vast chasm remains to be seen, but I do not think the Devils improved on the coaching they received in the second half of last year.

One thing's for sure, Lou definitely better make sure DeBoer knows beforehand that Kovalchuk refuses to play RW, as to avoid poisoning another Kovalchuk-coach relationship. He also should avoid making Ilya the healthy scratch.

Quote:
"He's young, he has excellent experiences dealing with all types of players," Lamoriello said. "He also served as assistant in international play with elite players, where he could watch how other people handle them. He's gained three years of outstanding apprenticeship, if you want to call it that.

"Remember, he went into Florida and they made the playoffs in his first year. I think they did, anyway. No? They just missed?"
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/devils/devil_of_choice_hSAtoQcmDOMvtiPXShOBlI#ixzz1Se864W qd

One would think that the GM would look into whether his new coaching hire has ever been to the playoffs beforehand.

Old
07-20-2011, 09:53 AM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post

Where he falls in between that vast chasm remains to be seen, but I do not think the Devils improved on the coaching they received in the second half of last year.

One thing's for sure, Lou definitely better make sure DeBoer knows beforehand that Kovalchuk refuses to play RW, as to avoid poisoning another Kovalchuk-coach relationship. He also should avoid making Ilya the healthy scratch.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/devils/devil_of_choice_hSAtoQcmDOMvtiPXShOBlI#ixzz1Se864W qd

One would think that the GM would look into whether his new coaching hire has ever been to the playoffs beforehand.

That is priceless!

Old
07-20-2011, 10:31 AM
Black Tank

Quote:

When Jacques Lemaire tells you to do something, love him or hate him, you have to respect him. When De Boer is going to try and enforce his will and gameplan, he sure as hell is going to be more MacLean than Lemaire, especially with personalities like Brodeur and Kovalchuk. And for the Devils to be successful, Brodeur must not play every game, especially if they try and move away from the trap.

Old
07-20-2011, 10:56 AM
DrSutton*
Given Up

I counted the devils out last year from the start and in the end they didn't make the playoffs.

I'm doing the same again this year. They will finish 9th or 10th.

Old
07-20-2011, 11:52 AM
truebluegoalie

Quote:

wow

Old
07-20-2011, 01:03 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:

What would you suggest they do? It's not easy to replace a coach like Lemaire. Of the available replacements, the only one who probably made as much or more sense as De Boer would have been Hitchcock, but talk about being someone tough to play for. De Boer may not have made the playoffs, but he got 90 points out of a horrible team. Not bad.

The Kovalchuk stuff gets blown out of proportion all the time. De Boer is a very smart guy based on the way he coaches, and I think he's more than capable of figuring out a way to handle Kovalchuk. I doubt Fatso is going to be much of a problem, either.

AFAIC, handling personalities will never be as important as tactics and strategy, and in that department, the Devils just got themselves a top guy.

Old
07-20-2011, 02:18 PM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Still have this problem and no replies so far, so I decided to bring it up in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1cON View Post
Hey guys!

I didnīt know where I should post the following so Iīll post it here. If itīs wrong, please Mods do move it in the right thread!

A friend of mine visits Canada in January and is in Toronto when the Rangers play there.
He had tried to get tickets but wasnīt that lucky with it. So I telled him that I ask you for any informations, ideas or some help with it.

Thanks for your upcoming replies!

Old
07-20-2011, 02:21 PM
eco's bones

I'm not a fan of the Devils forward group apart from Parise. I know Kovalchuk is an elite player but he didn't play like one last year and all but quit on his coach and developed almost no chemistry with anyone. Elias is still a good player but no longer that much of a legit goal scoring threat. Zajac is a good player but definitely a secondary scoring threat. Josefsson will be a good player--some day. Tedenby I'm not so sure about. It seems to me he has a lot of the same issues--size, strength that MZA has. Zubrus is getting old and is best suited on the third line. Clarkson had a bad year. Rolston was waived twice. I doubt he'll ever get another NHL contract. Steckel is just a larger version of Blair Betts. It's arguable that they are one of the worst forward groups in the league. The Devils scored the least number of goals last year in the NHL--something like 18 goals behind the second worst team. Their major forward additions this summers--Boulton, Janssen. It's not what I would call addressing the problem--it's more like ignoring it. It's not a good situation for someone like Peter DeBoer to move into--though beggars can't be choosers. Who else might have hired him? Lemaire managed to turn their season into something semi-respectable considering where they were headed before he took over. Lemaire is a unique coach though. I think DeBoer is in way over his head here.

Old
07-20-2011, 02:32 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1cON View Post
Still have this problem and no replies so far, so I decided to bring it up in another thread:
Stubhub. Ebay. Ticket exchange.

You'll be able to find tickets. Just a matter of how much you want to spend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I'm not a fan of the Devils forward group apart from Parise. I know Kovalchuk is an elite player but he didn't play like one last year and all but quit on his coach and developed almost no chemistry with anyone. Elias is still a good player but no longer that much of a legit goal scoring threat. Zajac is a good player but definitely a secondary scoring threat. Josefsson will be a good player--some day. Tedenby I'm not so sure about. It seems to me he has a lot of the same issues--size, strength that MZA has. Zubrus is getting old and is best suited on the third line. Clarkson had a bad year. Rolston was waived twice. I doubt he'll ever get another NHL contract. Steckel is just a larger version of Blair Betts. It's arguable that they are one of the worst forward groups in the league. The Devils scored the least number of goals last year in the NHL--something like 18 goals behind the second worst team. Their major forward additions this summers--Boulton, Janssen. It's not what I would call addressing the problem--it's more like ignoring it. It's not a good situation for someone like Peter DeBoer to move into--though beggars can't be choosers. Who else might have hired him? Lemaire managed to turn their season into something semi-respectable considering where they were headed before he took over. Lemaire is a unique coach though. I think DeBoer is in way over his head here.
I think you're vastly underrating all of them.

They scored the lowest total in the league because they were absolutely awful for the first few months of the season. Brutally bad. It only makes sense they didn't score goals during that stretch. They also played without Parise who is basically a 35-40 goal guy forever.

Kovalchuk did quit on MacLean, but once Lemaire took over he was elite. It's not like he put up piss poor numbers last year. The last half of last season he was typical Kovalchuk.

I'm not concerned if Elias is actually scoring the goal. He put up 60 points last year. It's not relevant to me whether or not he was the guy who actually put the puck in the net.

Zajac had a bad year last year without Parise, but the two years before that he had 62 and 67. I'd expect similar numbers with Zach back full time.

Josefson already is a good player IMO. I think he'll be a solid role player on that team. And I'd trade MZA for Tedenby in a milisecond and run away laughing.

If your only comment about Zubrus is he's getting old and best suited on the third line you didn't watch him enough last year. He was an absolute monster at times last year and can play with basically anyone. Very underrated player.

Rolston was waived last year because of his cap hit and the cap hell the Devils were going through because of the Kovy signing. Was he any good when they were terrible during the beginning of the year? No he was awful. But everyone on that team was awful. That's why they were so bad. Like everyone else, he really turned it on the end of the year. Is he a player I'd want on my team? Not really, but if he plays the way he did towards the end of last year he can still be a very effective player. Especially with that shot on the power play.

Steckel and the others are fourth liners. Not really important.

Old
07-20-2011, 04:36 PM
DutchShamrock

If any teams plays the way the did on any hot streat they'll be formidable. But the fact is the season is 82 games. They all count. I don't get the sense in ignoring either half of the season. But they Devils are another year older. Brodeur... just shoot at his skates. Dysfunction. Bad cap situations. I don't see them being better overall this year.

Old
07-20-2011, 04:40 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
If any teams plays the way the did on any hot streat they'll be formidable. But the fact is the season is 82 games. They all count. I don't get the sense in ignoring either half of the season. But they Devils are another year older. Brodeur... just shoot at his skates. Dysfunction. Bad cap situations. I don't see them being better overall this year.
It's a matter of opinion whether or not you think they're closer to the team of the first half or the second.

While everyone is a year older, they're also getting players back like Josefson, Tedenby, Taormina, etc. who will have more experience. Larsson will be good. Kovy and Parise are stars in their primes. Zubrus is underrated. Zajac with Zach is a 60 point player. Elias is not done.

Brodeur sucks and will cost them in the playoffs. Outside of that though I still think they're most likely a playoff team.

Old
07-21-2011, 10:07 AM
JeffMangum
Debaser

Emrick wil no longer be working for the Devils. Joining NBC/VS exclusively.

Old
07-21-2011, 10:12 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Emrick wil no longer be working for the Devils. Joining NBC/VS exclusively.
Gonna be tough to find a PBP guy that can tolerate Chico. The job may go unfilled entirely.

It's just pain.
Old
07-21-2011, 10:13 AM
JeffMangum
Debaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
Gonna be tough to find a PBP guy that can tolerate Chico. The job may go unfilled entirely.
Steve Cangialosi's forehead will take the blow.

Old
07-21-2011, 10:19 AM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Steve Cangialosi's forehead will take the blow.
Steve Cangialosi and Chico? The Devils just got more unwatchable. I didn't think that was possible.

Old
07-21-2011, 11:40 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
Steve Cangialosi and Chico? The Devils just got more unwatchable. I didn't think that was possible.

Maybe devils fan director Kevin Smith will get the job lmao

Closed Thread