Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2011, 07:16 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpggrown View Post
TSN by a mile.. I can't watch Flames or Oilers games on Sportsnet because of their PBP and color commentary. Their cameras also make the arena look dark. I hate Loubardias (sp?) or more specifically, his voice.
I couldnt agree more! I honestly have trouble watching the sportsnet feed for hockey. The cameras seem to be subpar (as you mentioned the arenas seem dark and it gives a terrible impression and makes watching the came less enjoyable). I also find that when comparing PBP tsn is far better.

I interested to see how TSN would use the radio rights. What station would their coverage be on? Is that 1290?

Old
07-19-2011, 08:22 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Just be patient!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
I interested to see how TSN would use the radio rights. What station would their coverage be on? Is that 1290?
Probably 1290, since they are both owned directly or indirectly by Bell Media.

Old
07-19-2011, 09:16 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplay41 View Post
i would prefer TSN to get the rights to the games what do you guys think?
I concur. Not just because I think TSN does a better job with TV coverage, but also OB doesn't get the rights (for pooh poohing the NHL return for years) and it paves the way for Curt Keilbach!

07-19-2011, 09:17 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpggrown View Post
TSN by a mile.. I can't watch Flames or Oilers games on Sportsnet because of their PBP and color commentary. Their cameras also make the arena look dark. I hate Loubardias (sp?) or more specifically, his voice.
FYI Loubardias was fired last week so not a concern.

Old
07-19-2011, 10:00 PM
dieter5

1290 sucks just because it has no footprint. Some people outside the perimeter like to listen to the games also.

Old
07-20-2011, 08:16 AM
WaveRaven

vCash: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
I concur. Not just because I think TSN does a better job with TV coverage, but also OB doesn't get the rights (for pooh poohing the NHL return for years) and it paves the way for Curt Keilbach!
How exactly did OB Pooh Pooh the Jets coming back ? By being realists ?

I love it when posters blab about how with out the Moose we wouldn't have NHL. Who supported the Moose more 1290 or OB ? 1290 is a Johnny come lately to this dance has done next nothing over the years sports wise. I sure hope Chipman rewards the companies that helped him get here.

Another thing is that OB would promote the Jets on Bomber games which are broadcast all over the market area NW ont, SW MB, Northern MB.

IMHO 1290 would have to beat out OB by a wide wide margin before I'd give it them.

Old
07-20-2011, 11:11 AM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieter5 View Post
1290 sucks just because it has no footprint. Some people outside the perimeter like to listen to the games also.
One would think that a part of any deal for radio rights would include some stipulations on the minimum distance/area the signal could be normally received in.

So, 1290 might need to boost the juice so to speak.

Old
07-20-2011, 11:14 AM
WaveRaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDz View Post
One would think that a part of any deal for radio rights would include some stipulations on the minimum distance/area the signal could be normally received in.

So, 1290 might need to boost the juice so to speak.
Not so simple. Signal strength is decided by the CRTC I believe and they would have to aply to do that.

Also signal strength has to be reduced at a certain time of night I beleive it's 10 or 11 pm. I have a cottage in Lac Du Bonnet. You do not get 1290 once the signal is reduced and 680 is spotty at best. And that's only what 60 miles as the crow flies?

Old
07-21-2011, 12:28 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveRaven View Post

I love it when posters blab about how with out the Moose we wouldn't have NHL. Who supported the Moose more 1290 or OB ? 1290 is a Johnny come lately to this dance has done next nothing over the years sports wise. I sure hope Chipman rewards the companies that helped him get here.

Another thing is that OB would promote the Jets on Bomber games which are broadcast all over the market area NW ont, SW MB, Northern MB.

IMHO 1290 would have to beat out OB by a wide wide margin before I'd give it them.
There is a big difference between being realists and being pessimists. Getting the NHL back took herculean efforts by people, and those people believed that it made good business sense because of the believers in this city, not the naysayers.

Leading the charge for the naysayers was CJOB. That they could reap the financial rewards of an NHL return angers me. Even their sister station Power 97 was very negative towards the possibility of the NHL's return, and once it became possible jumped on the bandwagon.

Nothing irritates me more than people who ride the coattails of others who have put in the work.

Old
07-21-2011, 01:12 PM
WaveRaven

Quote:
There is a big difference between being realists and being pessimists. Getting the NHL back took herculean efforts by people, and those people believed that it made good business sense because of the believers in this city, not the naysayers.

Leading the charge for the naysayers was CJOB. That they could reap the financial rewards of an NHL return angers me. Even their sister station Power 97 was very negative towards the possibility of the NHL's return, and once it became possible jumped on the bandwagon.

Nothing irritates me more than people who ride the coattails of others who have put in the work.
You mean like OB broadcasting all those Moose games and paying all that money to TNSE and then have Johnny come lately (1290) take the Jets rights ?

OB was one of biggest Moose supporters and they should be rewarded for that show the bids be close.

Old
07-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Noeller

Quote:
You mean like OB broadcasting all those Moose games and paying all that money to TNSE and then have Johnny come lately (1290) take the Jets rights ?

OB was one of biggest Moose supporters and they should be rewarded for that show the bids be close.
It'd be absolutely shocking to me if Brian Munz wasn't your first ever "Voice Of The Jets2.0", and good on him for it. Munzie's a hell of a guy and a damn good broadcaster.

Old
07-21-2011, 01:31 PM
dkehler

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...125961773.html

Looks like goodbye CJOB.

Old
07-21-2011, 01:34 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

Quote:

I was unaware that CJOB was doing those broadcasts for free

Old
07-21-2011, 01:37 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkehler View Post
This is FANTASTIC news for Jets fans! Better TV broadcasts AND a radio station who's main mission will be Jets and will pour every ounce of their heart and soul into covering the team.

This today, logo tomorrow... a great couple days for Jets fans!

Old
07-21-2011, 01:45 PM
WaveRaven

Quote:
I was unaware that CJOB was doing those broadcasts for free
HUH ? That makes no sense. Do you believe that TNSE paid to have their games broadcast ?

Good thing your not in charge of securing the rights.

Old
07-21-2011, 01:45 PM
rprice92

Quote:

I hope you do know that 1290 switched formats to an all sports station last September, right? So clearly, they wouldn't have been doing anything "sports wise"

Old
07-21-2011, 01:47 PM
ICdave
HFB Partner

Not going to lie, very pumped about this news as it likely means 1290 get the radio rights which is great news (on a selfish note) for the Illegal Curve Radio show.

Old
07-21-2011, 01:50 PM
thelos
Bunk

so how many games are TSN gonna show?

Old
07-21-2011, 01:53 PM
Moe Mantha

YAHOOOOO!!!! Illegal Curve. Hustler & Lawless. Jets broadcasts. All sports, all the time.

This is going to be the best winter ever.

Now, lets get Keilback hired!

Old
07-21-2011, 01:58 PM
PitbulI

With the TSN deal with the CFL too, I wonder if there will be a change when the Blue Bombers radio rights are up too.

Maybe 1290 will be TSN Radio and within a few years will have all Winnipeg sports coverage. At that point, I wonder if Irving would be moving too unless they want to go in a new direction.

Old
07-21-2011, 01:58 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Very happy to hear 1290 got the rights! I mean, why would TNSE go with CJOB who blatantly mocked any form of the return of the Jets up until recently? They deserve to be left out in the dust when it comes to the Jets, and I'm glad to see that this will happen.

Old
07-21-2011, 02:00 PM
WaveRaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprice92 View Post
I hope you do know that 1290 switched formats to an all sports station last September, right? So clearly, they wouldn't have been doing anything "sports wise"
All sports ? What sports College basketball. Do you know who Kentucky is recruiting !!!!! Want to know whose in violation of recuiring rules ? Listen to 1290 you'll hear. Other than illegal Curve there is nothing I want to listen to.

They could have easily bid on whatever they wanted.

My beef with 1290 is the 90% American content soon to be replaced with American content out of Toronto. That and the crappy signal strength in comparison. Plus the footprint is nowhere near as large. Oh well hopefully OB will do a pre and post game show I can listen to.

Old
07-21-2011, 02:02 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

Quote:
HUH ? That makes no sense. Do you believe that TNSE paid to have their games broadcast ?

Good thing your not in charge of securing the rights.
I don't think you understand how this works.

CJOB pays True North to broadcast Moose games. CJOB sells commercials during the broadcasts. CJOB makes money.

It isn't charity. If 1290 would have been a sports station when the rights were up for tender they would have most certainly tried to aquire them.

Old
07-21-2011, 02:03 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

1290 will more than likely be boosting their signal strength for the ability to broadcast in a large part of southern Manitoba. They will also likely begin to air more Canadian and Manitoba sports content as well. This is the beginning of a true Manitoba sports station with solid Manitoba sports coverage.

Old
07-21-2011, 02:07 PM
ATHF
Go Jets Go!

I like this simply because it means that Brian Munz will likely not be calling the games for the Jets on the radio. God bless the guy, but he's just not that good at calling games. It's difficult to follow in the footsteps of guys like Nicholson, Kielback, and to a lesser extent Moore, but he didn't really do anything to put his stamp on the broadcasts and the coverage suffered for it. Now all I have to do is get my Center Ice package fired up before the season starts and all is right with the world!

EDIT: If I'm being perfectly honest, they should see if Kamal wants to make the trip to move up with the team. Very knowledgeable, exciting calls and he knows the team better than just about anyone. At the very least have him call the radio side of things while TSN handles the TV broadcasts. We could do a lot worse than that....

Closed Thread