HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Salary Arbitration (Callahan on July 28, Dubinsky signs before hearing)

Closed Thread

Old
07-21-2011, 01:14 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Quote:
The Rangers will now turn their attention to Ryan Callahan, who has an arbitration hearing scheduled for July 28. The club hopes to sign the 26-year-old associate captain to a multi-year deal.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1SlF6A2BA

Old
07-21-2011, 01:16 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Now that Dubinsky's deal is finished, the Rangers can turn their attention to their only remaining unsigned restricted free agent, Ryan Callahan. His arbitration hearing is set for a week from Thursday, and agent Steve Bartlett told the Daily News earlier this week that he is hopeful of making a deal before then.

Discounting the $6.5 million hit for Wade Redden that eventually will be taken off the books one way or another before the season starts, the Rangers have $6,489,666 left under the cap to sign Callahan and add a sixth defenseman.

A second buyout window will open for the Rangers once Callahan's deal is done, and the Rangers may be wise to use it if Callahan and the defenseman, likely Steve Eminger, push the Blueshirts hard up against the cap. For instance, highly-regarded defense prospect Tim Erixon will have a $1.75 million cap hit, and the Rangers would need in-season flexibility for injury replacements and the possibility of trades down the road.
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...#ixzz1SlFUtzAy

Old
07-21-2011, 01:20 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikstad View Post
Average scoring in NHL
Zucca 0.55
Boyle 0.27
Cally 0.51
Dubi 0.57
A.A 0.44
Christ 0.45

There are many on rangers roster who by points belong in the AHL,and half of those I listed,cant score in shootout
Like Zucc himself, his sample size is too small

It's not just about scoring points. He's got to be able to handle himself physically as well. A player that can't contribute when he's not scoring better be a lot closer to 1 ppg.

I like Zucc and hope he does well this year, but his contract is prohibitive. It's likely that he'll split time between the AHL and the NHL, as he's still waiver exempt. But if he has a great camp he could earn the job outright. Still remains to be seen.

Old
07-21-2011, 01:22 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Brandon Dubinsky ($4.200m) / Brad Richards ($6.666m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Wojtek Wolski ($3.800m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.400m)
Michael Rupp ($1.500m) / Artem Anisimov ($1.875m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Brian Boyle ($1.700m) / Ruslan Fedotenko ($1.400m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Mike Sauer ($1.250m)
Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m) / Tim Erixon ($1.750m)
/ Steve Eminger ($0.800m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Martin Biron ($0.875m)

BUYOUTS: Chris Drury ($3.716m)
CARRY-OVER BONUS PENALTY: $527,000

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,135,334; BONUSES: $1,487,500
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $2,164,666

Assign Zuccarello to the AHL. Trade Christensen. $925,000 is not a lot of money and many teams can use help at center.

Old
07-21-2011, 01:26 PM
fredrikstad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prustqvist24 View Post
Blahblahblah. Every player you mentioned besides Christensen has a 2000% bettter chance of playing 82 games for the Rangers next year than Zuccarello.
Sad as it is,I think you are right.
If he dosent make the opening night,I hope rangers trade him. Given the chance,in a team who sees above his 5f7, I am sure he would have a greather career than at least Christensen and Avery.
If he was drafted,then he would have been given better options.

Hope my weak english is understandable

Old
07-21-2011, 01:27 PM
GAGLine

Duplicate post.

Old
07-21-2011, 01:30 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Brandon Dubinsky ($4.200m) / Brad Richards ($6.666m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Wojtek Wolski ($3.800m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.400m)
Michael Rupp ($1.500m) / Artem Anisimov ($1.875m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Brian Boyle ($1.700m) / Ruslan Fedotenko ($1.400m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Mike Sauer ($1.250m)
Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m) / Tim Erixon ($1.750m)
/ Steve Eminger ($0.800m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Martin Biron ($0.875m)

BUYOUTS: Chris Drury ($3.716m)
CARRY-OVER BONUS PENALTY: $527,000

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,135,334; BONUSES: $1,487,500
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $2,164,666

Assign Zuccarello to the AHL. Trade Christensen. $925,000 is not a lot of money and many teams can use help at center.
Very close to my thoughts
Small differences:
Cally signs at same cap hit as Dubinsky - ie $4.200 M
Eminger signs for $.750 M

That gives $.250 M more in space

Trade Christ for a pick (maybe to either Nashville/for a 6th/ or Toronto /for a 7th/ getting one of our traded picks "back"?)
Resign Vinny P for around $1.000 M replacing Christensen
Add Valentenko (at $.850) into the mix fighting for the 5th/6th/7th spot on D

Drop the puck!!!

Old
07-21-2011, 01:31 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
If he dosent make the opening night,I hope rangers trade him. Given the chance,in a team who sees above his 5f7, I am sure he would have a greather career than at least Christensen and Avery.

Very understandable. I don't think the problem is the Rangers not being able to see past his size, however. They did sign him in the first place. Zucc just wasn't doing a lot if wasn't producing and when you can't contribute much in other areas of the game, that's not good roster management to keep that player in the lineup, when there are other options and that player is waiver exempt and can spend time in the AHL. Maybe Zuccarello just needs a little more time to get his offensive production to a consistent level where he is justifying his roster spot, but this roster has too many other options in the top six right now, and Zuccarello is not really a bottom six player.

Old
07-21-2011, 01:36 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Mitchell,Kolarik and Thuresson make $105,000 AHL. No re-entry waivers for them. Cheaper options for the bottom six if injuries occur. Hagelin has a $875,000 cap number. $1.75M is too much for Zuccarello

Old
07-21-2011, 02:21 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:

His size isn't really an issue, it's his ability to handle the game at the NHL level. Let's say he's able to maintain a pace of .5 points per game over an 82 game season. Someone like Brian Boyle or Brandon Prust may only put up 30 points, but they contribute in substantially more ways. Their physicality weakens and tires out the other team, their defensive play keeps the other team from scoring, their penalty killing keeps the other team's PP from gaining momentum, etc.

Essentially, points are the only thing that MZA contributes, and if he can't contribute them at a high enough level to maintain a top 6 position, he'll be in the AHL. His shoddy defensive play and lack of physicality make him ill-equipped for a bottom-6 role. If he produces at a good enough clip in training camp and in the early part of the season, he'll get plenty of ice time, PP time, and good linemates.

RANGERS =
Old
07-21-2011, 03:06 PM
CM PUNK

just give cally 5 years, $22.5 mil

We gave Dubi $3.75 mil for his RFA years and $4.65 mil for his UFA years...use the same format. Cally has 1 RFA year left.

5 years, $22.35 mil...$4.47 mil. round it up to an even $4.5 mil per year cause he is giving up 2 more ufa years then dubi.

Old
07-21-2011, 03:09 PM
fredrikstad

Quote:
Very understandable. I don't think the problem is the Rangers not being able to see past his size, however. They did sign him in the first place. Zucc just wasn't doing a lot if wasn't producing and when you can't contribute much in other areas of the game, that's not good roster management to keep that player in the lineup, when there are other options and that player is waiver exempt and can spend time in the AHL. Maybe Zuccarello just needs a little more time to get his offensive production to a consistent level where he is justifying his roster spot, but this roster has too many other options in the top six right now, and Zuccarello is not really a bottom six player.
I agreed with you on everything here.
He is not a bottom 6 player,thats for sure. But I have seen what he can do,if his given the chance.
He produced 64 points in 55 games in SEL,from a weak botton team. 23 goals against defenders like Erixon calibre and above.
His real force is his vision and passing skills. At least in january,he was feeding linemates with wonderful passing,but the hole team was snakebitten at times.
I belive he will have a much better season this year, because he now have a full season under his belt on north american ice.
But I also think he is a much better player on the larger european surface.
Maybe KHL would be a better fit for him?
I can understand if AHL is not the most popular place for europeans.
Zucca could easely earned 250k in Sweeden.

Old
07-21-2011, 03:14 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

So a week to go on Callahan....my prediction is 5 years with a cap hit of 4.5-5mill per.

Old
07-21-2011, 03:19 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
No, the Rangers can and will look past his size, they wouldnt have signed if they didnt.

The sad thing is fans like yourself can't look past his size. Thankfully you are not the coach of the team.

Old
07-21-2011, 04:00 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Healthy Scratch View Post
No, the Rangers can and will look past his size, they wouldnt have signed if they didnt.

The sad thing is fans like yourself can't look past his size. Thankfully you are not the coach of the team.
The coach of the team didn't think Zuccarello was good enough to play the full year in the NHL. Fast forward a season, add Richards to the lineup and subtract the ... 29 games played by Prospal and 24 by Drury. We didn't lose any other forwards, but added Richards. Hagelin and Thomas MAY challenge for roster spots. Unless Zuccarello can provide more, tell me how his chances of sticking with the big club has improved.

Don't throw your lame "fans like yourself" crap my way unless you mean knowledgeable ones whose position on Zuccarello has absolutely nothing to do with his size and everything to do with having the best possible lineup on the ice this season. I don't care whether Zuccarello plays or not; he's a likeable player and I HOPE he shows up looking much improved, but if he hasn't added a dimension to his game or adjusted enough to be a consistent offensive threat, than he will not be good enough to crack our roster. Just because you have absolutely no argument, doesn't make "glad fans like you aren't coaching the team" a quality rebuttal. It just makes you look silly.

Old
07-21-2011, 04:05 PM
Jumbo*

Quote:
The coach of the team didn't think Zuccarello was good enough to play the full year in the NHL. Fast forward a season, add Richards to the lineup and subtract the ... 29 games played by Prospal and 24 by Drury. We didn't lose any other forwards, but added Richards. Hagelin and Thomas MAY challenge for roster spots. Unless Zuccarello can provide more, tell me how his chances of sticking with the big club has improved.

Don't throw your lame "fans like yourself" crap my way unless you mean knowledgeable ones whose position on Zuccarello has absolutely nothing to do with his size and everything to do with having the best possible lineup on the ice this season. I don't care whether Zuccarello plays or not; he's a likeable player and I HOPE he shows up looking much improved, but if he hasn't added a dimension to his game or adjusted enough to be a consistent offensive threat, than he will not be good enough to crack our roster. Just because you have absolutely no argument, doesn't make "glad fans like you aren't coaching the team" a quality rebuttal. It just makes you look silly.
Newsflash: He was a ROOKIE.

Yes he was inconsistent, as are most rookies in the NHL.

Boy your going to be in for a big suprise come October when hes on the starting roster. You just can't look past his size and look at the skill he could bring.

I'll have to save this convo in my box for a later date.

Old
07-21-2011, 04:05 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

People forget MZA played with a rookie Stepan and a Wolski who was more or less a non-factor after their initial chemistry.

I think he's the best choice for that 3rd line RW spot if we're not going to resign Vinny. Still hoping we somehow do, though.

Old
07-21-2011, 04:07 PM
Greg02

Quote:

Seeing above MZA's 5'7" should prove to be fairly trivial for most people.

Old
07-21-2011, 04:21 PM
XLJ

Dubi signing should make the Callahan negotiations easier. IMO Cally should not have a cap hit higher than 4.2 million.
They need to trade Christensen for a bag of pucks. They can save close to million dollars of cap room.

Old
07-21-2011, 04:26 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Newsflash: He was a ROOKIE.

Yes he was inconsistent, as are most rookies in the NHL.

Boy your going to be in for a big suprise come October when hes on the starting roster. You just can't look past his size and look at the skill he could bring.

I'll have to save this convo in my box for a later date.
Once again: Nothing to do with size.

I'm simply not convinced he will bring enough to the team to maintain a roster spot. How is this unclear? You truly are making yourself look pathetic by turning this into a vendetta, and acting as if I have some sort of vendetta against Zuccarello, or short people. I don't. What part of me saying I HOPE he shows up looking much more well rounded and improved was lost on you? Which part of me saying I don't care if he's on the roster or not and that I simply want the best roster possible on the ice, which I don't personally feel he fits in to, did you decide to skip?

Once again: Newsflash - so was Stepan, and the fact still remains that 23 year old ROOKIE Zuccarello was deemed not ready enough/contributing enough STATS aside to hold down a full-time spot while a 20 year old ROOKIE Derek Stepan was (keep in mind, this argument began with you boldly stating that had he played 82 games he would have been on pace to tie everybody's favorite Derek Stepan in points, and me stating that stat projections are meaningless and Zucc didn't do enough to stay in the NHL while Stepan did... what did YOU see that the coaches didn't?).

Unless you're new to these parts, you should know by now that I tend to be very objective in my analysis of virtually everyone and that I am the last person at HF boards who will base a conclusion on silly things such as size or statistics. I'm fully aware of the fact that he was a rookie and that inconsistency is to be expeceted, but it does nothing to CHANGE the FACT that a 20 year old ROOKIE was far more capable of handling the challenges of playing in the NHL and contributing more than just points than Zucc was at 23. By the way, Wolski, who you're so quick to write off, is only 1.5 years older than Zuccarello; he had 65 points in the NHL one year ago, at Zucc's age, but HIM you don't want on the team and believe Zuccarello has a better shot than. Now, sure, everyone develops at a different pace and Stepan maybe was just more ready than Zuccarello. It certainly doesn't mean Zuccarello has no chance of making it. But why wasn't he ever drafted? How successful was our last attempt at signing someone who hadn't been drafted but was dominant in their league at an older age (his name's Matt Gilroy)? I have stated numerous times that I hope Zuccarello can come into camp, wow management and make our roster better; I just don't have high hopes that he will.

For you to want to turn this into some sort of pissing match though simply because you have NO argument other than to keep repeating "can't look past his size", "can't look past his size" just shows a lack of maturity. If Zuccarello makes the team, and sticks with the team for more than half a season than GREAT. I hope he can produce and make our team more successful. I simply don't see it happening with Avery and Wolski in contract years and Zuccarello being waiver exempt.

Last edited by SERE 24: 07-21-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old
07-21-2011, 04:34 PM
Jumbo*

Quote:
Once again: Nothing to do with size.

I'm simply not convinced he will bring enough to the team to maintain a roster spot. How is this unclear? You truly are making yourself look pathetic by turning this into a vendetta, and acting as if I have some sort of vendetta against Zuccarello, or short people. I don't. What part of me saying I HOPE he shows up looking much more well rounded and improved was lost on you? Which part of me saying I don't care if he's on the roster or not and that I simply want the best roster possible on the ice, which I don't personally feel he fits in to, did you decide to skip?

Once again: Newsflash - so was Stepan, and the fact still remains that 23 year old ROOKIE Zuccarello was deemed not ready enough/contributing enough STATS aside to hold down a full-time spot while a 20 year old ROOKIE Derek Stepan was (keep in mind, this argument began with you boldly stating that had he played 82 games he would have been on pace to tie everybody's favorite Derek Stepan in points, and me stating that stat projections are meaningless and Zucc didn't do enough to stay in the NHL while Stepan did... what did YOU see that the coaches didn't?).

Unless you're new to these parts, you should know by now that I tend to be very objective in my analysis of virtually everyone and that I am the last person at HF boards who will base a conclusion on silly things such as size or statistics. I'm fully aware of the fact that he was a rookie and that inconsistency is to be expeceted, but it does nothing to CHANGE the FACT that a 20 year old ROOKIE was far more capable of handling the challenges of playing in the NHL and contributing more than just points than Zucc was at 23. By the way, Wolski, who you're so quick to write off, is only 1.5 years older than Zuccarello; he had 65 points in the NHL one year ago, at Zucc's age, but HIM you don't want on the team and believe Zuccarello has a better shot than. Now, sure, everyone develops at a different pace and Stepan maybe was just more ready than Zuccarello. It certainly doesn't mean Zuccarello has no chance of making it. But why wasn't he ever drafted? How successful was our last attempt at signing someone who hadn't been drafted but was dominant in their league at an older age (his name's Matt Gilroy)? I have stated numerous times that I hope Zuccarello can come into camp, wow management and make our roster better; I just don't have high hopes that he will.

For you to want to turn this into some sort of pissing match though simply because you have NO argument other than to keep repeating "can't look past his size", "can't look past his size" just shows a lack of maturity. If Zuccarello makes the team, and sticks with the team for more than half a season than GREAT. I hope he can produce and make our team more successful. I simply don't see it happening with Avery and Wolski in contract years and Zuccarello being waiver exempt.
Comparing a center to a winger in stepan, yea we needed centers so obviously he wasnt going to be sent down.

Your arguments (or last their of) are terrible.

Guess you'll just get your own reality check in October.

Old
07-21-2011, 04:41 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Comparing a center to a winger in stepan, yea we needed centers so obviously he wasnt going to be sent down.

Your arguments (or last their of) are terrible.

Guess you'll just get your own reality check in October.
Compared to yours, which are illuminating, right? I honestly won't care if Zuccarello makes the team, as long as we have the best roster possible. I can already tell, however, how PUMPED you're going to be to say "I told you so!!!!1!!11!" if he does. I wasn't arguing about it for the sake of my pride, but you obviously are, which is why I'm done with this particular debate. And honestly, I do hope that Zuccarello can show up looking improved, stick with the team all year and that we'll be a more dangerous club because of it, but if he plays less than 50 games, for any reason besides injury, boy am I going to enjoy a hearty laugh now.

FYI: People who could have lined up at center if they felt Stepan wasn't ready/would benefit from some time in AHL (by the way, rushing a 20 year old into the NHL can actually be HARMFUL to their development, and our staff knows this but still chose to keep him up all year) - Anisimov, Christensen, Boyle, Dubinsky (yes, better on wing, but if Stepan needed to go down?), Prospal (29 games), Drury (24 games), Prust is naturally a center, Todd White (18 games). So if they felt Stepan needed some time in the AHL and only wanted to give him 40 or so games, like Zucc, they could have.

Old
07-21-2011, 05:34 PM
savebyrichter35

Quote:
Compared to yours, which are illuminating, right? I honestly won't care if Zuccarello makes the team, as long as we have the best roster possible. I can already tell, however, how PUMPED you're going to be to say "I told you so!!!!1!!11!" if he does. I wasn't arguing about it for the sake of my pride, but you obviously are, which is why I'm done with this particular debate. And honestly, I do hope that Zuccarello can show up looking improved, stick with the team all year and that we'll be a more dangerous club because of it, but if he plays less than 50 games, for any reason besides injury, boy am I going to enjoy a hearty laugh now.

FYI: People who could have lined up at center if they felt Stepan wasn't ready/would benefit from some time in AHL (by the way, rushing a 20 year old into the NHL can actually be HARMFUL to their development, and our staff knows this but still chose to keep him up all year) - Anisimov, Christensen, Boyle, Dubinsky (yes, better on wing, but if Stepan needed to go down?), Prospal (29 games), Drury (24 games), Prust is naturally a center, Todd White (18 games). So if they felt Stepan needed some time in the AHL and only wanted to give him 40 or so games, like Zucc, they could have.
Just like he did last night with the Duby/arbitration nonsense, and he looked just as silly then (and this morning) as he does now.

Old
07-21-2011, 05:59 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Yea my girl Linda Cohn just acknowledged the Rangers signing Dubinsky on Sportscenter. She then went on to say " now they can proceed to signing Ryan Callahan, the heart and soul of the Rangers "

Love you Linda!

Old
07-21-2011, 06:03 PM
fredrikstad

Quote:
Unless you're new to these parts, you should know by now that I tend to be very objective in my analysis of virtually everyone and that I am the last person at HF boards who will base a conclusion on silly things such as size or statistics. I'm fully aware of the fact that he was a rookie and that inconsistency is to be expeceted, but it does nothing to CHANGE the FACT that a 20 year old ROOKIE was far more capable of handling the challenges of playing in the NHL and contributing more than just points than Zucc was at 23. By the way, Wolski, who you're so quick to write off, is only 1.5 years older than Zuccarello; he had 65 points in the NHL one year ago, at Zucc's age, but HIM you don't want on the team and believe Zuccarello has a better shot than. Now, sure, everyone develops at a different pace and Stepan maybe was just more ready than Zuccarello. It certainly doesn't mean Zuccarello has no chance of making it. But why wasn't he ever drafted? .
Aint gonna argu with you,becauce I do agreed with the most you are saying here.
Only thing is that in compare to Stepan,Zucc was more of a rookie when it comes to ice size and playingstyle. He had to learn a hole new game.
I hope he shows up much more adjusted this time.
When he was eligle,he played in Norway and for a national team who played in D1,not many scoutes either places.
Most draftet from Norway has played in sweedish juniors and the WC for U18 and U20
Pitty he managed to have such a good contract. it would have been easier for him,with a lover cap hit.
And that bring politics to the discussion as well.

By the way,"everybody" told him not to go to Sweeden,he could not make it because he was......................................To small (I know,it`s not an issue for you )

But then again,I agreed with you. I do belive he is good enough for a top 6 spot in NHL,but might not fit in on Rangers roster as it look right now.

Closed Thread