HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Things MSG Network and TV (FiOS, Dish, HD, etc.)

Old
03-09-2011, 11:55 AM
RangersFan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
i will be switching when the season is over regardless whether or not FIOS gets MSGHD by next season. I'm fed up with cablevision charges.

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 02:25 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersFan View Post
i will be switching when the season is over regardless whether or not FIOS gets MSGHD by next season. I'm fed up with cablevision charges.
Fios charges will not be less. It will cost more than Cablevision, for comparable packages, due to the taxes they have to charge that Cablevision doesn't. Having said that, I'm going back to Fios after a 1 1/2 years with Cablevision. I'll deal with SD Rangers. Everything else Fios has trumps Cablevision.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 06:50 PM
jbfour

Question, sorry to bother, but I remain as unclear on this as a Sather news conference:

I'm out here in San Diego with Time Warner Cable, watching our boys in SD on Center Ice (plus the occasional NBC and Versus in HD, but no NHL Network at all, so I completely miss the games that are on that.)

I know that if I switch to Direct TV for next season I'll get NHL Network... but am I correct that the games I watch on Center Ice (which is of course most of them) will all be in HD too?

(And if so, will I be able to see the MSG feed, or only the opponent's feed?)

Thanks in advance.

jbfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 11:27 PM
js10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
Fios charges will not be less. It will cost more than Cablevision, for comparable packages, due to the taxes they have to charge that Cablevision doesn't. Having said that, I'm going back to Fios after a 1 1/2 years with Cablevision. I'll deal with SD Rangers. Everything else Fios has trumps Cablevision.
I switched last week. My internet is 10 times faster (30Mb/s) and in 6 months I will pay 100 instead of 120 that I was paying with Cablevision now after increase. Worse for CV, they did not even fight for me as a customer. I was complaining about quality and price, and they told me to disconnect. 6 days into having FIOS and I can't be happier. (although I miss Euronews)

js10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 09:01 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Forgot to do this before, but these are some shots of my 26" LED 1080P HDTV showing the Devils game tonight on Fios in 480P. It's not too bad, but not HD for sure. I also took the photos with my phone FWIW.

With that being said, I had DirecTV before this and in standard definition, it wasn't anywhere near as good as this when I watched an non-HD channel.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 09:15 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post

With that being said, I had DirecTV before this and in standard definition, it wasn't anywhere near as good as this when I watched an non-HD channel.
We discussed it earlier in this thread, but Verizon's boxes are upscaling the signal/resolution to as close to HD quality as possible.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 09:53 PM
varanger94

I was a Dish subscriber for years suffering through SD. This year dish lost MSG due to the Dolanvision monopoly. That was all I could take and I switched to Direct TV and I can now watch the games in HD. I'm very satisfied. My phone and internet are from Fios, but I couldn't stand watching in SD anymore. I e-mailed and wrote Cablevision, and informed them that due to their greed, I would go to Rabbit Ears before I go back to them. The Greed backfired.

varanger94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 06:14 PM
nyrmetros

Any HD for NYR on TWCNYC tonight????? Effing knicks got 727 tonight.....

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 12:13 PM
The Hockey Suit

Understanding MSG2/Overflow and HD Situations

A few people have emailed me about some of the decisions that go into play when the Rangers are bounced to MSG2. I figured I would post it here in case you were curious.

Essentially, three things come into play when the Knicks/Rangers are getting the boot to MSG2 or the Devils/Islanders are getting booted to MSGPlus2. Having worked for a major television network, I know that typically the guidelines are as follows:

1) Which team is home and which team is away
2) Ratings
3) Contract obligations

When it comes to deciding if the Knicks or Rangers are being moved to MSG2, the home team usually gets broadcast on MSG. Likewise, if Devils and Islanders are on at the same time, the home team gets MSGP and the away team generally gets MSGP2.
This is done to make sure that an equal number of games are on the main channel and that each team has the opportunity to maximize ratings. However, this generally changes when hockey playoffs come around.

If the Rangers are on the road and it’s a playoff game and the Knicks are home and it’s a regular season game, then the Rangers will usually be on MSG. This is done again to capitalize on playoff ratings. Rangers' playoff ratings generally exceed Knicks regular season ratings - especially late in the NBA season when the Knicks are typically out of it.

Now people always wonder why the Rangers just can’t be moved to MSG Plus instead of MSG2.

The short answer? If the Devils or Islanders are playing at the same time as the Rangers then either the Devils or Islanders has to be on MSGP. Their business folk are sure to negotiate that into their TV contracts. Their respective organizations want their teams to reach the greatest amount of people as possible too, so there’s no way they would let the Rangers bounce them from “their own” network.

Now as far as HD feeds go. Cablevision has MSG2 in HD, typically channel 414. Unfortunately the same does not hold true for Time Warner or Comcast, probably because they either are not willing to pay for the feed or they don't have any open channel positions. Either way, the onus isn't on Cablevision.

FIOS is a different story altogether. I am sure Rangers/MSG Network's business folk would like to sell FIOS the rights to air MSG's feeds in HD because a) it's profitable b) it would expand their networks ratings and c) the consumer wants it.

So why isn't it happening?

The short answer? Cablevision. They have their own execs who think that by allowing FIOS the feeds, customers would jump ship.

Currently, Verizon is trying to get the FCC involved, but like anything that requires government intervention, it takes a lot of time, money, and political schmoozing.

Hopefully that clears up some of these issues. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

~The Suit

The Hockey Suit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 09:18 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfour View Post
Question, sorry to bother, but I remain as unclear on this as a Sather news conference:

I'm out here in San Diego with Time Warner Cable, watching our boys in SD on Center Ice (plus the occasional NBC and Versus in HD, but no NHL Network at all, so I completely miss the games that are on that.)

I know that if I switch to Direct TV for next season I'll get NHL Network... but am I correct that the games I watch on Center Ice (which is of course most of them) will all be in HD too?

Thanks in advance.
I'm interested in this too. Does Center Ice on Direct TV have all HD feeds?

Also can anyone give any feedback on the internet of non-FIOS Verizon? I live up in Washington Heights and as such am not eligible for FIOS yet, but was considering switching to Verizon anyways. I'm fed up with TWC.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 07:08 PM
True Blue 96

Anyone hear any news regarding FIOS MSG HD?

True Blue 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 07:40 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue 96 View Post
Anyone hear any news regarding FIOS MSG HD?
I actually had a meeting with a Verizon FIOS Executive this afternoon and we spoke about it for a few minutes. The MSG-HD discussion started when I told him I would love to switch FIOS but that as a big Rangers fan it was a non-starter. Basically, as we have discussed here previously, the terrestrial loophole was closed back in early 2010. The issue now is that while MSG is legally required to offer the HD feed to local competitors, they have to come to terms on a carriage agreement. And that's the rub...MSG can say, "sure, you can have MSG-HD for $10 a subscriber." In reality it's probably only worth $1 or $2. So, Verizon filed suit, and they are about a year into the legal process. They are hopeful that it will be resolved in the next 6 months to a year. He was kind enough to tell me that he would check with the head of the legal department to see what the latest developments are.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 07:52 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I actually had a meeting with a Verizon FIOS Executive this afternoon and we spoke about it for a few minutes. The MSG-HD discussion started when I told him I would love to switch FIOS but that as a big Rangers fan it was a non-starter. Basically, as we have discussed here previously, the terrestrial loophole was closed back in early 2010. The issue now is that while MSG is legally required to offer the HD feed to local competitors, they have to come to terms on a carriage agreement. And that's the rub...MSG can say, "sure, you can have MSG-HD for $10 a subscriber." In reality it's probably only worth $1 or $2. So, Verizon filed suit, and they are about a year into the legal process. They are hopeful that it will be resolved in the next 6 months to a year. He was kind enough to tell me that he would check with the head of the legal department to see what the latest developments are.
Thanks for sharing, finally somebody spoke with somebody "in the know".... You should definitely hit this individual up for an update in about 5-6 months to see if there's been any progress....

Old
07-20-2011, 08:04 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Something that would be awesome for MSg to do is to go to the widescreen format. This way the fans will be able to see the same amount of picture that the HD station shows, just at lesser quality. ESPN has done it already. FOX does it for their sports. If MSG did that, it wouldn't be as bad to watch on an HDTV. I really just miss seeing the whole ice surface.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 08:24 PM
Swagelin
aka Bienvenue a ny

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I came into this thread about to ask about this.Thanks for the update.

Swagelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 08:59 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
Something that would be awesome for MSg to do is to go to the widescreen format. This way the fans will be able to see the same amount of picture that the HD station shows, just at lesser quality. ESPN has done it already. FOX does it for their sports. If MSG did that, it wouldn't be as bad to watch on an HDTV. I really just miss seeing the whole ice surface.
If they broadcasted in widescreen/16:9 format, people still watching on standard definition TV's (4:3 aspect ratio) would have the letter-boxing on their screens ( horizontal black bars). I have 2 flat panels at home and FiOS, their cable boxes re-scale the SD signal and upconvert it to a higher resolution, and in widescreen (16:9) format. Not as good as HD but damn close... If you go back a couple pages, you will see images that I posted, and another user posted some of his above...

Old
07-20-2011, 10:22 PM
broadwayblue

I just long for the day when SD is dead and sports can be shot utilizing the full 16:9 frame...no more dizzying camera movements back and forth (to accommodate the narrower 4:3 image) will make a huge improvement to our viewing enjoyment. But I digress. lol

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfour View Post

Thanks in advance.
Perhaps by now you've found your answer elsewhere, but I don't see an answer in this thread, so I'll jump in. Yes, with DirecTV you will receive the same telecasts in HD on Center Ice that we see here in the NY area.

As has been stated here there are more teams covered by MSG/FSNY than they have available HD channels, so some games are still in SD for all of us.

Actually because you are out of market, you will receive an additional benefit that should the Rangers be on MSG in SD but be playing team that is telecasting in HD, you will be able to receive that HD telecast...but of course you will be hearing the other team's announcers. Here in the NY area the other team's HD telecast is blacked out, forcing you to watch in SD.

Another benefit, of course, is that in San Diego you can watch the Rangers outside on your deck in the winter, while we're freezing our keesters off back east!

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 01:27 PM
Brunomics

Question for everyone here, I'm currently moving into the Town of Crookhaven and unfortunately I'm going to have to drop Fios. I really don't want to get cablevision as I can't stand their menu system and the unreliability of their internet so I'm looking at DirectTV. Are they a better service than cablevision all around? I've been doing research on it but for all you current users here do you have any pro's/cons about them that could possibly help me out?

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 01:38 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
Question for everyone here, I'm currently moving into the Town of Crookhaven and unfortunately I'm going to have to drop Fios. I really don't want to get cablevision as I can't stand their menu system and the unreliability of their internet so I'm looking at DirectTV. Are they a better service than cablevision all around? I've been doing research on it but for all you current users here do you have any pro's/cons about them that could possibly help me out?
We left Cablevision more than ten years ago for DirecTV, and we love it. Not speaking about internet service, just TV, but we cannot be happier. We love the DVR, and love the channel selection as well. YMMV depending on what you're looking for.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 01:51 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
Direct TV kicks their ***** in nearly every category.

Downside to DTV: No News 12 or channel 61 and no clock on the receiver. That's about it.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 03:26 PM
jbfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Perhaps by now you've found your answer elsewhere, but I don't see an answer in this thread, so I'll jump in. Yes, with DirecTV you will receive the same telecasts in HD on Center Ice that we see here in the NY area.

As has been stated here there are more teams covered by MSG/FSNY than they have available HD channels, so some games are still in SD for all of us.

Actually because you are out of market, you will receive an additional benefit that should the Rangers be on MSG in SD but be playing team that is telecasting in HD, you will be able to receive that HD telecast...but of course you will be hearing the other team's announcers. Here in the NY area the other team's HD telecast is blacked out, forcing you to watch in SD.

Another benefit, of course, is that in San Diego you can watch the Rangers outside on your deck in the winter, while we're freezing our keesters off back east!
Thanks, Jersey Girl... I had sort of decided that was the case, but your reply confirms it for me (you should be receiving your kickback check from DTV shortly )

Will be thinking of you when I'm watching the Blueshirts in HD from my floating pool chair in February...

jbfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 07:15 PM
Brunomics

I just thought I'd share my recent story with Cablevision. I figured that since I'm going to Bellport/Patchogue from Ronk I might as well bite the bullet and get the triple play especially since I received an offer in the mail for the triple play family package at 79 dollars a month I'll just get it. I called them up a little while ago and told them I was interested in the package and they asked me where I am living and who my previous provider was ect. Then they flat out denied me that price point even though I had an offer with that price in my hand and nothing in the fine print stated that it was based on location. When I told them I was no longer interested I was asked why I had a vendetta against cablevision and then he proceeded with the hard sell. I ended up getting frustrated and even asked him why cablevision discriminates against people based on location and he wouldn't give me an answer because he had none. Just shows the bs that goes on there.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 09:22 AM
jreach

The $79 Triple Play from Cablevision is legit, I switched to U-Verse for a week after Cablevision wouldn't lower my bill. Within 2 days of having U-Verse a Cablevision rep called me and offered the $79 Triple Play deal, he also threw in Stars/Encore & DVR Plus. DVR plus is nothing to write home about, its actually frustrating to use but if you go through the hassle of actually dropping Cablevision they do try hard to win you back (even offering to pay any early termination fees from U-Verse up to $300).

jreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 06:53 PM
kennglin13

hey guys i just moved and they only have Fios. My MSGHD has a black bar on the top and bottom of the screen, Cablevision I was able to have full screen. Anybody else have this problem?

kennglin13 is offline   Reply With Quote