HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Eastern Conference Standings Predictions 2011-2012

Old
07-07-2011, 01:37 PM
SgroiBoy*
Lolslanders Fail

vCash: 500
1- Pittsburgh - With Crosby and Malkin, watch out.
2- Washington - New goalie, def a good team.
3- Boston - Much of team is still there, they are solid.
4- Tampa
5- Buffalo - Much improved defense, still a pretty young team.
6- Rangers - Scary new top line, still got Hank, good young D core
7- Philly - new trades won't cut it
8- NJ - Healthy Parise & Kovy cant be too bad
9- Carolina Meh, just miss it again
10- Montreal
11- Toronto Lol
12- Winnipeg New area, trash team still
13- Florida Ugly
14- Isles 4th line scrub signing + 26m+ in room, new arena vote fail = low morale. {MOD EDIT}
15- Ottawa Rebuilding

Last edited by Homeland Security: 07-07-2011 at 07:30 PM. Reason: edited for lols
SgroiBoy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 03:07 PM
Law

Send a message via AIM to Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgroiBoy View Post
1- Pittsburgh - With Geno and Malkin, watch out.
4- Tampa
7- Montreal
10- Columbus
11- Toronto Lol
13- Florida Ugly
14- Isles 4th line scrub signing + 26m+ in room, new arena vote fail = low morale. Trash team.
15- Ottawa Rebuilding
New re-alignment? Surprised we let PHI go west like that.

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 03:59 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
New re-alignment? Surprised we let PHI go west like that.
Well, nobody likes Philly.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 04:13 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgroiBoy View Post
1- Pittsburgh - With Geno and Malkin, watch out.
4- Tampa
7- Montreal
10- Columbus
11- Toronto Lol
13- Florida Ugly
14- Isles 4th line scrub signing + 26m+ in room, new arena vote fail = low morale. Trash team.
15- Ottawa Rebuilding
so i'm guessing malkin will come back from his injury so much stronger that he's now considered 2 players?

thedonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 05:07 PM
CDirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
so i'm guessing malkin will come back from his injury so much stronger that he's now considered 2 players?
He's a Rangers fan. What did you expect?

He thinks Richards, an overhyped 2nd line center, gives the Rags a potent top line. Rag fans only care about one thing, how many headlines you can grab by signing overhyped free agents (Drury, Gomez, Holik, Stevens, Fleury etc). Never mind the over abundance of evidence that shows you just can't sign people to build a winning hockey team. And the Rags, year after year, are exhibit A proving that theory.

CDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 05:18 PM
Hipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDirt View Post
He's a Rangers fan. What did you expect?

He thinks Richards, an overhyped 2nd line center, gives the Rags a potent top line. Rag fans only care about one thing, how many headlines you can grab by signing overhyped free agents (Drury, Gomez, Holik, Stevens, Fleury etc). Never mind the over abundance of evidence that shows you just can't sign people to build a winning hockey team. And the Rags, year after year, are exhibit A proving that theory.
I at least expected them to know Columbus is in the Western Conference, and Geno and Malkin are the same person. Guess that's too much hockey knowledge for Rag$ fans these days.

Hipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 06:01 PM
GrabnerIsGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedregast View Post
1)Boston
2)Penguins
3)Lightning
4)Capitals
5)Sabres
6)Montreal
7)Islanders (This would be contingent on DP injured/placed in ahl at start of season)
8)Flyers (Don't think they will jell well, until 2nd half of season)
9)Devils
10)Carolina
11)Rangers (Richards and Rupp aren't enough to fix rangers)
12)Jets
13)Sens
14)Florida
15)Toronto
Okay im a pretty big Isles fan but i have to admit ur a little bias here saying richards and rupp wont fix rangers but dp could sore the isles all the way to 7th thats rediculos the rangers arent going lower than last year and if ur me and want the isles in the playoffs you cant put them four spots above the rangers its not happining

GrabnerIsGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 06:38 PM
Law

Send a message via AIM to Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabnerIsGod View Post
Okay im a pretty big Isles fan but i have to admit ur a little bias here saying richards and rupp wont fix rangers but dp could sore the isles all the way to 7th thats rediculos the rangers arent going lower than last year and if ur me and want the isles in the playoffs you cant put them four spots above the rangers its not happining
Repeat after me: punctuation is my friend.

Aside from that, I agree with your comment, don't think we're finishing above the Rangers until we address a few more needs and settle the crease situation.

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 02:49 PM
Smitzo4221

Standings and Explanations

1) Capitals - With huge offseason adjustments such as signing Vokoun and defenseman along with Ovechkin bound to have a rebound year I see Washington almost unstoppable.
2) Boston Bruins - After winning the Stanley cup I don't see them slowing down. Great goaltending and depth, getting hold of a star player would help other than Bergeron or Lucic.
3) Flyers - Yes they got rid of two great players but they signed one of the best tenders in the league which was their main problem. And the players they received through the trades and free agency aren't bad, great depth.
4) Penguins - I see them being close to the Flyers but still not getting it done because of depth need more than just Crosby and Malkin, Sullivan was an ok pick up.
5) Sabres - With new owner they're a great team solid now on D with the addition of Regehr and Ehrhoff adding Leino creates good depth now just need solid number one center Roy isn't the answer, which will likely happen through trading picks, youngsters, Pominville, and/or Hecht.
6) Lightning - How much more does Rolo have in the tank? Also a team lacking toughness.
7) Rangers - One word comes to mind when thinking of the Rangers, underachievers. Year after year they build a great team and always finish lower than expected. Gabbys health will play a huge roll while playing alongside Richards.
8) Maple Leafs - Great offseason pick ups add much needed depth. Not sure the Connolly signing will end up how they wanted but I believe they'll squeeze in as a number eight seed.
9) Canadiens - Signing Cole was good but that's about all they did. Need to do more if they want to keep pace with the rest of the teams. Toughness and size needed here.
10) Hurricanes - Depth Depth and more depth needed here.
11) Devils - Totally a gamble here just like last year could end up at the bottom or the top.
12) Panthers - Good work in the offseason but you can't build a team through free agency they'll need some young players that have been playing with each other for a while to step in with some chemistry.
13) Islanders - Another season when they're just not good enough. They need pretty much everything from offense to defense to goaltending to coaching.
14) Jets - Obviously the GM is dedicated to youth which is good unless your youth just flat out sucks like there's does, unfortunately they need to make big moves with trades and free agency but I don't see that happening so it looks like more years in the basement of the eastern conference.
15) Ottawa - No brainer here. They're in a rebuilding period which is always good for a team as it promises future success so watch out for Ottawa in the coming years.

Last edited by Smitzo4221: 07-21-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Smitzo4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 03:23 PM
steveat

1. Washington
2. Buffalo
3. Pittsburg
4. Boston
5. Tampa
6. Philadelphia
7. Rangers
8. Montreal
----------------
9. Toronto
10. Carolina
11. Devils
12. Isles
13. Ottawa
14. Winnipeg
15. Florida

I can't predict Philly..they change things up too much to call it.

It's going to come down to Washington and Buffalo..they upgraded a wack..I don't think Boston or Pitts will do as well in such a strong division..

Last edited by steveat: 07-21-2011 at 04:09 PM. Reason: oops..my bad...swapped
steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 03:47 PM
Smitzo4221

Hate to break it to you but if you have the Sabres finishing second you can't have the Bruins finishing third the top three spots are given to the division champs and those teams are in the same division.

Old
07-21-2011, 03:51 PM
islandersfreak21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitzo4221 View Post
1) Capitals - With huge offseason adjustments such as signing Vokoun and defenseman along with Ovechkin bound to have a rebound year I see Washington almost unstoppable.
2) Boston Bruins - After winning the Stanley cup I don't see them slowing down. Great goaltending and depth, getting hold of a star player would help other than Bergeron or Lucic.
3) Flyers - Yes they got rid of two great players but they signed one of the best tenders in the league which was their main problem. And the players they received through the trades and free agency aren't bad great depth.
4) Penguins - I see them being close to the Flyers but still not getting it done because of depth need more than just Crosby and Malkin, Sullivan was an ok pick up.
5) Sabres - With new owner they're a great team solid now on D with the addition of Regher and Ehrhoff adding Leino creates good depth now just need solid number one center Roy isn't the answer, which will likely happen through trading picks, youngsters, Pominville, and/or Hecht.
6) Lightning - How much more does Rolo have in the tank? Also a team lacking toughness.
7) Rangers - One word comes to mind when thinking of the Rangers, underachievers. Year after year they build a great team and always finish lower than expected. Gabbys health will play a huge roll while playing alongside Richards.
8) Maple Leafs - Great offseason pick ups add much needed depth. Not sure the Connolly signing will end up how they wanted but I believe they'll squeeze in as a number eight seed.
9) Hurricanes - Depth Depth and more depth needed here.
10) Canadiens - Signing Cole was good but that's about all they did. Need to do more if they want to keep pace with the rest of the teams. Toughness and size needed here.
11) Devils - Totally a gamble here just like last year could end up at the bottom or the top.
12) Panthers - Good work in the offseason but you can't build a team through free agency they'll need some young players that have been playing with each other for a while to step in with some chemistry.
13) Islanders - Another season when they're just not good enough. They need pretty much everything from offense to defense to goaltending to coaching.
14) Jets - Obviously the GM is dedicated to youth which is good unless your youth just flat out sucks like there's does, unfortunately they need to make big moves with trades and free agency but I don't see that happening so it looks like more years in the basement of the eastern conference.
15) Ottawa - No brained here. They're in a rebuilding period which is always good for a team as it promises future success so watch out for Ottawa in the coming years.
I don't think the Islanders are much worse than the Leafs.

islandersfreak21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 04:02 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin27NYI View Post
Washington- As usual, they will be great. Love their additions this offseason
Boston- Made few moves other then getting rid of salary and have assets to make smart moves
Pens- How can they not be in the top 3? Softer this year though. Good for Haley and Martin though
Buffalo- Leino was a bad overpayment but adding Regher and Ehrhoff was smart.
Philly- Wild card. Bryz+that defense should make them a lock. Without Carter and Richards they should take a hit in the standings.
Tampa- I hope Gervais, MAB and gilroy don't cost them a spot.
Rangers- They got the best free agent in Richards. I'm positive they make the playoffs.
NYI- I'm not going to leave this team out. Isles have one of the best offense in the East, and I mean that. Get me that top 4 dman, keep injuries low and don't start Ricky when games are on the line.
Montreal- Cole was a terrific addition and Price was incredible last year. Not a fan of the D and offensive depth. That should cost them.
New Jersey- They are surpisingly young. They lack puck movers on the back end (like the Rangers) and are top heavy in offense. Given the bad defense and many young players I think they falter. The year after they should do well.
Toronto- I don't like them.
Carolina- Cam Ward is an absolute beast. Having said that, losing Cole hurts and all they did was retain players. Last year they were insanely lucky with only 56 man games lost to injury, I say that increases and hurts them.
Winnipeg- Tough scheduling should affect them and lack of good forwards.
Ottawa- Lack of secondary scoring and goaltending is streaky.
Florida- They spent money but I don't like the guys they brought in. They had no choice though, I just don't think they will be impactful.
I still stand by this but I think I let Philly drop a little more and Carolina bumps up more.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 04:17 PM
Smitzo4221

Yes I see what you mean but the Leafs did something in the offseason. They picked up guys to make their team better and last year they finished ahead of the Islanders. My standings dont show the teams records so I'm not saying the Islanders are going to be that far off from the leafs point-wise.

Old
07-21-2011, 04:29 PM
Axe Man
Brooklyn Bound

What I find to be funny is that everyone says this team did not do anything to make them better. A healthy Islander squad is way way better then last years team. Basically we have added Streit, Okposo, Montoya, Reasoner, Mottau and Eaton to a lineup that was pretty competitive for the final half of the season. What I mean is that most of those guys had little to no time with the team last year. Anyway, I say we will finish in the 7-12 range.

Axe Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 04:37 PM
giddy up

I guess we'll just let the ranger troll slide by?

giddy up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 05:00 PM
RMimagery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Van Halen View Post
What I find to be funny is that everyone says this team did not do anything to make them better. A healthy Islander squad is way way better then last years team. Basically we have added Streit, Okposo, Montoya, Reasoner, Mottau and Eaton to a lineup that was pretty competitive for the final half of the season. What I mean is that most of those guys had little to no time with the team last year. Anyway, I say we will finish in the 7-12 range.
99% agree with everything and am surprised how many miss this point.

We just can't afford to lose 2 players combined from our top 6 F and top 4 D for any significant time. If we avoid this, 8th-10th is possible...but that's a tall task with our track record.

We also need Amac (60 games last season) and Jurcina (46) to play 70 + games. They made a big difference when in the lineup together. Now with some experience from a surprisingly sound Hamonic, our D is on the rise.

I am excited.

RMimagery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 05:27 PM
Pnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMimagery View Post
We also need Amac (60 games last season) and Jurcina (46) to play 70 + games. They made a big difference when in the lineup together. Now with some experience from a surprisingly sound Hamonic, our D is on the rise.

I am excited.
Hence the reason why I think we still need another top 4 dman, so that we don't have to rely on Jurcina or one of AMac or Hamonic to play above themselves.
Any NHL team needs a buffer on d and we need one more guy, and we are ok.

I am excited to.

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 07:46 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
1. Washington
2. Buffalo
3. Pittsburg
4. Boston
5. Tampa
6. Philadelphia
7. Rangers
8. Montreal
----------------
9. Toronto
10. Carolina
11. Devils
12. Isles
13. Ottawa
14. Winnipeg
15. Florida

I can't predict Philly..they change things up too much to call it.

It's going to come down to Washington and Buffalo..they upgraded a wack..I don't think Boston or Pitts will do as well in such a strong division..
1. Washington - Well-balanced team, division is stronger, but will Vokoun fall asleep since shots against will go down from his FL days?
2. Pittsburg - Still a strong team, lacks jam and some depth, but this still hinges on health of two stars
3. Boston - Just by default b/c not impressed with BUF, however, B's lack scoring and health of Horton/Savard key to goals, Thomas needs to keep same GAA
4. Tampa - Defense will wear down and Rolo as starter for long haul might be too much, but power house offense that plays every night
5. Rangers - For some reason, if healthy, I see this team putting it together this season and taking advantage of opponents changes or lackthereof, might be able to take division if PIT health is shoddy.
6. Buf - Big changes, overspent, chemistry will be key here b/c have no cap room to make changes if the wheels go off the bus. Tons of pressure to win division now
7. Carolina - Missed it by last game of season, subtle offseason moves that improved club and always have top goaltending, albeit unnoticed
8. Phi - Way too many changes, increased pressure on offense to perform, Pronger health key to winning, Bryz just entered the pressure-cooker as some saviour to 20 years of goaltending woes. Lavy has his work cut out for him.
----------------
9. NJD - team jekyl and hyde, new coach, aging brodeur, but no longer bang for buck franchise and Kovy needs to carry team behind Parise
10. MON - Lost offseason, not impressed, too much relies on Price, and Gomez is a drag on salary and team confidence
11. NYI - Still awaiting additions, but team still lives/dies on goaltending mess, "projected" improvements by all younger guys, and overall team health with coach that now has to follow up strong second half under his bench, record against division teams remains poor and prevents moving up in standings
12. FL - Tornado hit Sunrise, not liking the goaltending and too many fresh new overpaid guys that have one incentive - hope it all works out to avoid be shipped out in this offseason frenzy that may go bust
13. TOR - This is not a Burke team, he lacked the same seeds he had in VAN and ANA, then when he could have he make the Kessel move, nothing special here, but a lot 'we're not rebuilding, but retooling' yet no improvement
14. Winnipeg - Will get a lift from 41 games in CAN, but will be deflated due to insane travel schedule and overall lack of talent
15. Ottawa - Murray has created a MIN meets last five years of FL in the what the heck has happened here? One bad trade, signing, and draft after another.

Last edited by blitzkriegs: 07-21-2011 at 07:51 PM.
blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 10:17 PM
YanksIslesBillsRaps

East
1. Pit
2. Caps
3.bos
4.buf
5.phi
6.tb
7.nyr
8.nyi
9.tor
10.mon
11.win
12.fla
13.nj
14.car
15. Ott

West
1.det
2.ana
3.sj
4.van
5.la
6.chi
7.nas
8.cal
9.stl
10. Cbj
11.edm
12.col
13.phx
14.dal
15.min

Playoffs
East Finals
Pit Def Caps

West Finals
La Def Ana

Stanley Cup Finals
Pit Def La

YanksIslesBillsRaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 11:10 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
Just as the thread title says. How do you think the teams will finish? We can revisit this in April 2012.

Washington-
Philly-
Boston-
Pitts-
Tampa-
Montreal-
Buffalo-
Rangers-
Carolina-
Toronto-
New Jersey-
Winnipeg-
Ottawa-
NYI-
Florida-

My Predictions:

1. Boston
2. Tampa (This slot hinges on Stamkos as he is still a RFA at this point)
3. Pitts (Winning the division will hinge on Crosby's health and his full recovery from concussion.)
4. Washington
5. Buffalo
6. Philly (They are lucky I slotted them 6th, but I could see them falling further)
7. Montreal
8. Islanders (Yes I went there)
9. Rangers
10. Ottawa
11. New Jersey (Don't see them making the playoffs)
12. Winnipeg (Don't see them making it either, but with an intense atmosphere and new city, could move up)
13. Toronto
14. Carolina
15. Florida (Bought and overpaid for a lot of pieces. I just don't see them coming together)

Okay everyone you got your mission, Eastern Conference standings for 2011-2012 season. GO....
Last year was a fluke for Jersey, they wont be that bad again....I think the Rags get it because of queen Henrik....The one huge differnce that all your playoff teams have that we dont is a true #1 goalie....we gotta score alot of goals to get in imo...

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 05:32 AM
BMOK33

1. Washington - Will beat up a weak division more than Buffalo can beat up their's.
2. Buffalo - They're gonna win the cup this time.
3. New Jersey - Will prove last year was a blip.
4. Pittsburgh - Injury issues will keep them from the top again.
5. NY Islanders - They're going to ride a strong offense and a lethal PP, will see a similar turnaround that the Caps saw from 06-07 to 07-08...may have the highest GA of all the 8 playoff teams but could very well post over 250 goals and have the highest GF of all 8 teams....yeah....I said it....we might lead the East in goals scored.
6. Philadelphia - The Laviolette losing of his players and issues with management will continue to worsen with his 3rd team in 10 years, he will not make it through the season.
7. Boston - Thomas' play will fall off a cliff and they'll have the typical slow start following a Cup.
8. Rangers - They'll find a way to sneak in and play Washington yet again.
9. Tampa - As much a blip as New Jersey was last year they will be out of it from the get go this year for the most part thereafter. Boucher is another coaching casualty on the season.
10. Toronto - They'll continue their march back to respectability but fall about 4-5 points short.
11. Florida - Rangers 1999-2004 redux, head butting of numerous talented players and poor chemistry will result in epic fail. Dineen will survive the season though.
12. Ottawa - Meh
13. Carolina - Offense won't keep them afloat this season.
14. Montreal - Biggest disappointment by far in the East. Carey Price cannot save a team full of aging marginal vets and a few promising young guys. Martin has another bad ending in another city...he is the 3rd guy to be relieved during the season.
15. Winnipeg - Bad news, it'll take 2-3 seasons at least to clean that mess up.

BMOK33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 06:35 AM
Pnut

1) Capitals
2) Bruins
3) Penguins
4) Sabres
5) Lightning
6) Flyers
7) Rangers
8) Islanders
9) Panthers
10) Maple Leafs
11) Canadiens
12) Hurricanes
13) Devils
14) Jets
15) Ottawa

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 07:18 AM
TennesseeJedd

If Rick plays 30+ games we will finish 12 or worse, if he is given backup starts and -15 games we will finish 8th.

Will the real #1 goaltender for the Islanders please stand up, this is the worst position for a question mark but IMO this whole season will come down to whether one of our goalies takes the starting job and runs with it EARLY in the season. Even better would be by the end of camp.

TennesseeJedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 08:52 AM
majormet

I have to go with

1. Buffalo - Cup year for them
2. New Jersey - DeBoer is a great coach
3. Tampa Bay - getting stronger
4. Pittsburgh - good season but not enough
5. Washington - Boudreau gets fired and Hitchcock takes over
6. Boston
7. Rangers
8. Montreal
9. Florida - money can't buy the playoffs
10. Toronto - Wilson gets fired, Gordon comes close
11. Carolina - bad start with Maurice, Keenan does OK
12. Philadelphia - missing Carter and Richards
13. Islanders - depth on defense hurts
14. Winnipeg - the schedule of travel kills them
15. Ottawa - very poor season for them

West

1. Los Angeles - Richards helps
2. Columbus - this team had a great offseason
3. Vancouver - play in a weaker division
4. Detroit
5. San Jose
6. Nashville
7. Calgary
8. Chicago
9. Phoenix
10. Anaheim
11. Edmonton
12. Minnesota
13. Colorado
14. St Louis
15. Dallas

Eastern Playoffs

Buffalo beats Montreal
New Jersey beats Rangers
Tampa Bay beats Boston (avenging)
Pittsburgh beats Washington (Lead is not happy with first round matchup, wanted this to be the finals of the East)

Buffalo beats Pittsburgh - the d prevails
New Jersey beats Tampa Bay

Buffalo beats New Jersey

West

Los Angeles beats Chicago
Columbus beats Calgary
Vancouver beats Nashville
Detroit beats San Jose

Los Angeles beats Detroit in 7
Columbus beats Vancouver

Los Angeles beats Columbus

Buffalo sweeps Los Angeles in the Cup.