HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ovechkin will have a slow start

Old
07-21-2011, 04:29 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
If you're talking diet only....working out heavily just MIGHT have a small impact on calorie burn...
Obviously. The difference that needs to be made up is very large. Even if someone ate absolutely no food for a week, they would still have to burn more than double the maintenance-level calories of an average person every day in order to lose 9 pounds in a week.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 04:30 PM
HTFN

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyver View Post
Sorry to bump this up, but many of you have to see this :

http://alexovetjkin.blogspot.com/201...-pictures.html

This was posted on the NHL board.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 04:43 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
That was a few years ago. AO's definitely carring a bit of a spare tire around the middle but he was the last couple of years I believe..or at least last season. Not sold on having a bit of spare tire will effect his conditioning if he puts in the work to be in hockey shape. BUT we'll have to see what comes out of training camp this year. As someone already mentioned last TC AO was pretty gassed early in the camp which in my memory was the first time that happened compared to his previous NHL seasons.

He's also hitting that age, mid twenties, where, at least from my own personal experience there is metabolism shift. I know when I hit 25 and realized I had to cut regular soda and moderate the junk food, and restrict late night drunken taco bell runs, heh.

All speculation aside..I reserve judgement till TC. Even at the end of this past season he was thinking about doing something different with his off-season training. Honestly I just hope he starts playing full bore and not trying to 'save himself' for the playoffs.

07-21-2011, 04:43 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
If Ovechkin was a true professional he'd be focused on what he can improve, not simply getting into "game shape".
Great point, Ero. That's what Hall of Famers do.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 04:47 PM
HTFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
That was a few years ago. AO's definitely carring a bit of a spare tire around the middle but he was the last couple of years I believe..or at least last season. Not sold on having a bit of spare tire will effect his conditioning if he puts in the work to be in hockey shape. BUT we'll have to see what comes out of training camp this year. As someone already mentioned last TC AO was pretty gassed early in the camp which in my memory was the first time that happened compared to his previous NHL seasons.

He's also hitting that age, mid twenties, where, at least from my own personal experience there is metabolism shift. I know when I hit 25 and realized I had to cut regular soda and moderate the junk food, and restrict late night drunken taco bell runs, heh.

All speculation aside..I reserve judgement till TC. Even at the end of this past season he was thinking about doing something different with his off-season training. Honestly I just hope he starts playing full bore and not trying to 'save himself' for the playoffs.
Says May 2011.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 05:13 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
I thought the "saving myself for the playoffs" bit was pretty lame, especially considering what fans pay for tickets these days, but I still have absolutely no problem with #8. He didn't have a great year, but he showed up in the playoffs, unlike most of the team (in the 2nd round, anyway).

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 05:18 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
I thought the "saving myself for the playoffs" bit was pretty lame, especially considering what fans pay for tickets these days, but I still have absolutely no problem with #8. He didn't have a great year, but he showed up in the playoffs, unlike most of the team (in the 2nd round, anyway).
I guess the reason I don't like the 'saving it' is basically AO's style does not lend itself going at less than full power. I mean AO plays a merciless power game..it pretty much requires one to give 100 percent. One starts rolling at 80% and honestly I think it opens a player to more injuries, IMHO.

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 06:00 PM
txpd

i'll say this. its not clear what the hell was going on with both ovechkin and backstrom last season. whatever it was i hope they are both over it. i want to see 50g's for 8 and 100pts from 19. i want to see a good ratio of pp points.

if they are poking along again, i wont feel good about the season.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 09:03 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post
This was posted on the NHL board.
Phew....he actually looks about as lean as I've seen him since his rookie year (in those pics)....

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 09:09 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i'll say this. its not clear what the hell was going on with both ovechkin and backstrom last season. whatever it was i hope they are both over it. i want to see 50g's for 8 and 100pts from 19. i want to see a good ratio of pp points.

if they are poking along again, i wont feel good about the season.
You and me both....I miss MVP Ovy and top 5 Center Backstrom...

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 10:48 AM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
10 pounds in 3 months is easy.

-500 calories a day for a week is one pound. Over 3 months that's 12 pounds but he could easily cut out more than 500.
I was joking, hence the +48,923 or whatever number I used. In other news, Ovechkin is way to skinny now.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 11:28 AM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Obviously. The difference that needs to be made up is very large. Even if someone ate absolutely no food for a week, they would still have to burn more than double the maintenance-level calories of an average person every day in order to lose 9 pounds in a week.
If Ovy became a vegan for the next two months and worked out everyday he'd lose this weight.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 01:10 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
If Ovy became a vegan for the next two months and worked out everyday he'd lose this weight.
We weren't talking about him.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 05:34 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
Oh good. Take away a bunch of muscle to get a lower number on a scale. That will help. lol.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote