HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Out of Towner information

Old
07-20-2011, 06:18 PM
Sybil227

vCash: 500
Definitely check stubhub for tickets. You can find deals on Kings tix there nearly all the time. My friend came down from the bay area and got a pair of PR seats for $90. I can't remember who we played - but it was in the 2nd half of the season, when we were making a playoff run - and most games were sold out.
You just never know - but it's a good place to look.

Sybil227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 07:16 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR89 View Post
This information has been excellent.

Right now we are pegging a Downey/Long Beach Days Inn as the place where we'll get a room because we could keep the same room for two nights and use it for LA and Anaheim. We may change this depending on how much we can get a room in other places. If we are going to splurge a night, LA seems to be the place to do that.

One last question regarding tickets, if we bought tickets for the Detroit game at face + fees when tickets went on sale, how hard would it be to resell them at cost in case we decide we can't make the trip? LA seems to be the only place we may have any trouble getting tickets..
Which Days Inn in Long Beach?

If you are looking in long beach, look in downtown or on the east side (east of Redondo Ave or within a few blocks). In Long Beach, you can take the blue line to Staples which costs $1.50 each way and you can take the Passport (a bus) all over the city to the tourist spots like Downtown LB where there is the Aquarium of the Pacific, the Pike, Shoreline Village and all the bars/restaurants. Then there is Belmont Shore and you can even go over to Seal Beach as well.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 08:30 PM
NYR89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Which Days Inn in Long Beach?

If you are looking in long beach, look in downtown or on the east side (east of Redondo Ave or within a few blocks). In Long Beach, you can take the blue line to Staples which costs $1.50 each way and you can take the Passport (a bus) all over the city to the tourist spots like Downtown LB where there is the Aquarium of the Pacific, the Pike, Shoreline Village and all the bars/restaurants. Then there is Belmont Shore and you can even go over to Seal Beach as well.
1500 E. Pacific Coast Hwy
Pacific Coast Hwy & Walnut Ave
Long Beach, CA 90806 US

That's the address of the one I found while searching earlier today. Long Beach is still "middle" enough for LA and Anaheim and it seems like there's some things to do around.

NYR89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 09:14 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
1500 E. Pacific Coast Hwy
Pacific Coast Hwy & Walnut Ave
Long Beach, CA 90806 US

That's the address of the one I found while searching earlier today. Long Beach is still "middle" enough for LA and Anaheim and it seems like there's some things to do around.
That isn't the nicest area of long beach. You'd probably be better off at the motel 6 on PCH and 7th Street (or bellflower). There is a Holiday Inn on Lakewood Blvd @ the 405 fwy. Might price that out..

I live in Long Beach and it is very much in the middle of OC/Downtown LA and access to transit so I support that decision. There is plenty to do here but you also have a short drive to the beaches and you can get to Seal Beach by bus from here. I'm sure you can get down to Huntington in Newport via OCTA.

EDIT: This isn't the nicest hotel but it is in a nice area. Kind of a dive beach hotel...
http://www.seaport-marina-hotel.com/
It is $80 a night.. not the cheapest but a good option if you can afford it.

Last edited by Buddy The Elf: 07-20-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old
07-20-2011, 09:52 PM
NYR89

Quote:
That isn't the nicest area of long beach. You'd probably be better off at the motel 6 on PCH and 7th Street (or bellflower). There is a Holiday Inn on Lakewood Blvd @ the 405 fwy. Might price that out..

I live in Long Beach and it is very much in the middle of OC/Downtown LA and access to transit so I support that decision. There is plenty to do here but you also have a short drive to the beaches and you can get to Seal Beach by bus from here. I'm sure you can get down to Huntington in Newport via OCTA.

EDIT: This isn't the nicest hotel but it is in a nice area. Kind of a dive beach hotel...
http://www.seaport-marina-hotel.com/
It is $80 a night.. not the cheapest but a good option if you can afford it.
It's shaping up to be the area we'll end up. On top of the ones you've suggested I've found a Econo Lodge, Super 8 and a place called Royal Inn Motel (on East Anaheim Street), it's only $51 but seems kind of shady. Is that a bard part of town as well?

Old
07-20-2011, 10:22 PM
Alisa
Quickie fangirl

I would definitely look into hotwire, or priceline (the name your own price function) to book your hotel room. A cheap motel in a meh area will still run you 55 or so, as you found, and I consistently book 3.5-4 star hotels in downtown LA and Orange County for 60-70.

You will enjoy the game much more after sleeping on a nice pillowtop mattress in a room with a view than after waking up in a Motel 6 in Downey, lol.

And you are correct, not a bad seat in the house at Staples, imo.

Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 05:42 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
It's shaping up to be the area we'll end up. On top of the ones you've suggested I've found a Econo Lodge, Super 8 and a place called Royal Inn Motel (on East Anaheim Street), it's only $51 but seems kind of shady. Is that a bard part of town as well?
Yeah it isn't nice.. I'll put it that way. You aren't going to get shot or mugged but it is not really a place i'd want to spend a vacation at. I mean you are going to deal with that if you are on a very tight budget anyway but I think you'd be much better off spending $30 more per a night at the Seaport Marina or at a motel in a bit nicer area whether it is in Long Beach or not. There is tons of stuff to do within walking distance or a 5-10 min bus/cab ride of the Seaport Marina too.

These buses actually leave out of the same parking lot as the Seaport...

http://bigredbus.com/

That would be a great way to see the beaches in So Cal and it is BYOB. You'll have to call them when it gets closer to see what kinda stuff they have going on.

Old
07-21-2011, 06:00 PM
NYR89

Quote:
Yeah it isn't nice.. I'll put it that way. You aren't going to get shot or mugged but it is not really a place i'd want to spend a vacation at. I mean you are going to deal with that if you are on a very tight budget anyway but I think you'd be much better off spending $30 more per a night at the Seaport Marina or at a motel in a bit nicer area whether it is in Long Beach or not. There is tons of stuff to do within walking distance or a 5-10 min bus/cab ride of the Seaport Marina too.

These buses actually leave out of the same parking lot as the Seaport...

http://bigredbus.com/

That would be a great way to see the beaches in So Cal and it is BYOB. You'll have to call them when it gets closer to see what kinda stuff they have going on.
That's what we're probably going to end up doing. When we spend an extra $30, it'll be split between the 4 of us. It hit me last night to stay at the Seaport Marina it would be $40 per person, which is cheap enough as it is.

Old
07-22-2011, 02:53 AM
lak4ever

Quote:
That's what we're probably going to end up doing. When we spend an extra $30, it'll be split between the 4 of us. It hit me last night to stay at the Seaport Marina it would be $40 per person, which is cheap enough as it is.
All you need to worry about is finding the nearest In-n-out by your hotel/motel.

lak4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 09:37 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lak4ever View Post
All you need to worry about is finding the nearest In-n-out by your hotel/motel.
There is one literally across the street from the Seaport marina hotel.

http://www.google.com/maps?q=in+n+ou...na+Hotel,&z=16

Old
07-23-2011, 06:20 AM
NYR89

Quote:
There is one literally across the street from the Seaport marina hotel.

http://www.google.com/maps?q=in+n+ou...na+Hotel,&z=16
You guys have been a HUGE help! Thank you very, very much. We've targeted some hotels right now that we're going to keep an eye on through priceline and sites like that. It's looking like we'll be able to go 5 nights at $80 each, which is peanuts. Thanks again for all the info.

The In-N-Out across the street is clutch

Old
07-23-2011, 09:59 AM
yankeeking

since you are a ranger fan I am guessing you are from the city or close by, out here is nothing like home and if you do not rent or have a car you will spend your vacation on buses, nothing is quick or easy to get around to,while you could walk across NYC or take a train to the island for a game here it is virtually impossible to in a timely fashion......with that said you will love it here and make sure you hit newport or huntington beaches, world class partying even in the winter/spring at the local drinking facilities, enjoy........

PS The "bad" areas out here are like jersey as long as you stay out of south central LA...

yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote