HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers Re-sign Brandon Dubinsky (4 years, $4.2M per)

Old
07-21-2011, 08:56 PM
mike14

vCash: 500
I'm starting to think that a thread titled "Dubinsky is not a centre" should be stickied at the top of HF....

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 09:09 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
I'm starting to think that a thread titled "Dubinsky is not a centre" should be stickied at the top of HF....
Rangers Re-sign Brandon Dubinsky WHO IS NOT A CENTER (4 years, $4.2M per)

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 09:16 PM
broadwayblue

Don't see how people can complain about Dubi getting an extra couple hundred k. True, he's not a 1st line talent, and he probably never will be. But he's a solid 2nd liner and for 4.2M I can't complain about that.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 09:20 PM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

It is so frustrating to read this thread and especially the thread in the main board. People have absolutely no concept of what kind of point production 1st, 2nd, 3rd line players should be producing. And that is not even taking into account all the play that does not necessarily show up on the all-mighty stat sheet. People think players need to be producing 90pts to be 1st liners, 70pts to be 2nd liners, and so on. It's just ridiculous, how is it possible people still just have no clue.

And OMG a LW taking FO's, WTF the sky is falling!

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 09:42 PM
Hockey2000nyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9Y4R View Post
It is so frustrating to read this thread and especially the thread in the main board. People have absolutely no concept of what kind of point production 1st, 2nd, 3rd line players should be producing. And that is not even taking into account all the play that does not necessarily show up on the all-mighty stat sheet. People think players need to be producing 90pts to be 1st liners, 70pts to be 2nd liners, and so on. It's just ridiculous, how is it possible people still just have no clue.

haha i wish HFboards had a like button on comments because i would sooooo like this comment haha, its definitely true though

Hockey2000nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 09:55 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowrunner View Post
If he went ahead with arbitration today.
wow are we sensitive or what?

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 10:00 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I went to the trade board and edited the thread title so it reads "LW Brandon Dubinsky."

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 10:01 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
I went to the trade board and edited the thread title so it read "LW Brandon Dubinsky."
I could have just done it myself.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 10:40 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
Indeed. It frustrates me when fans of other teams think that, but when Rangers fans think he's a center as well?! Come on, he hasn't played center for a season and a half. Just because he takes face-offs doesn't mean he's a center.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 10:42 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

This forum can never be satisfied. Now we are arguing about what year to have Callahan's contract expire. Nothing like prosperity.

I'm going to start a thread out about who Callahan should hand the Stanley Cup to first when we finally win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Don't see how people can complain about Dubi getting an extra couple hundred k. True, he's not a 1st line talent, and he probably never will be. But he's a solid 2nd liner and for 4.2M I can't complain about that.
You may want to check out Boston's first line for comparables. Duby's a top echelon forward. Live with it.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 10:51 PM
Shadowrunner

Send a message via ICQ to Shadowrunner Send a message via AIM to Shadowrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
wow are we sensitive or what?
Why? If he had gone ahead with arbitration instead of accepting a very fair offer of 16.8m over 4 years, that would certainly qualify as another offense.

He didn't. GG.

Shadowrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 02:20 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Anyone here who thinks dubi is a C does not watch the games. Either that or see him taking faceoffs so they assume he's the C because of that. I don't understand how you can follow a team so poorly that you dont realize that one of the core players switched positions a year and a half ago. This isn't like Christensen switched positions and people would just say who cares he still sucks and not remember that he did.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 04:48 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Dubinsky, who plays with an edge and wears his heart on his sleeve, would be a top-six forward on any team in hockey. He is a candidate to join Brad Richards and Marian Gaborik on the Rangers' first line. If not, he will reprise his role as second-line left wing with Callahan on the other side and a center to be named later while remaining a staple on the power play and penalty-kill units.
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...QXEMi5xyhTOMiM

Dubinsky could score 120 goals in the next 4 years playing with Richards. 5 on 5. PP. Top 6 forwards in arbitration years and approaching group III years are worth $4M plus.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 09:15 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post

I'm going to start a thread out about who Callahan should hand the Stanley Cup to first when we finally win.

Please do that. That'd be epic. True soap opera stuff right there.

Can you imagine what people would do when I say, "Dubinsky."

NOOOOO YOU CAN'T HAND THE STANLEY CUP TO HIM FIRST! HE MISSED SKATING LAPS IN 2010. WE WILL NEVER FORGET, BRANDON!

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 09:58 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...QXEMi5xyhTOMiM

Dubinsky could score 120 goals in the next 4 years playing with Richards. 5 on 5. PP. Top 6 forwards in arbitration years and approaching group III years are worth $4M plus.
dubinsky is the PERFECT fit for that top line and i think he'd put up monster numbers on that line...the question though is the impact it has on the other lines and the team balance.

i think you could put dubi with any of the top 3 centers and he'd work fine...thing i question is how those centers will do if stuck with wolski, avery or fedotenko instead.

i'll feel alot better about lines 2 & 3 on the wings in a year or so when kreider, thomas and miller are in the mix.

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 10:19 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
You may want to check out Boston's first line for comparables. Duby's a top echelon forward. Live with it.
He's a very good forward no doubt...but top echelon? Not sure I'd go that far. Is it so terrible to be labeled a top 6 forward? Anyway, not sure why I have to live with your personal opinion. lol

Old
07-22-2011, 10:32 AM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9Y4R View Post

Exactly. This is how people base arguments around Mike Richards not being a 1st line, top player in the league. Not everything that wins games is tied to goals and assists.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 10:35 AM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

There are 30 teams in this league. A line consists of 3 forwards. That's 90 players that are top-line forwards. For this past season, Brandon Dubinsky is sitting comfortably at #70 in scoring for forwards. Count in the fact that he hits, plays good defensively, and plays pretty chippy, I'd say he's definitely a 1st liner. Just because he's not a flashy, 70pt player, doesn't mean he shouldn't be considered a 1st line talent.

But naw, Dubinsky is a 2nd liner. Just like Rick Nash is an elite 1st liner. Those 12 extra points put him 2 notches ahead of Dubinsky.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 10:45 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
There are 30 teams in this league. A line consists of 3 forwards. That's 90 players that are top-line forwards. For this past season, Brandon Dubinsky is sitting comfortably at #70 in scoring for forwards. Count in the fact that he hits, plays good defensively, and plays pretty chippy, I'd say he's definitely a 1st liner. Just because he's not a flashy, 70pt player, doesn't mean he shouldn't be considered a 1st line talent.

But naw, Dubinsky is a 2nd liner. Just like Rick Nash is an elite 1st liner. Those 12 extra points put him 2 notches ahead of Dubinsky.
Are you honestly comparing Brandon Dubinsky to Rick Nash? A guy who hasn't scored 25 goals in a season ONCE, to a guy who has scored more than 30 goals SIX times and 40 or more goals twice.

Old
07-22-2011, 10:57 AM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
Are you honestly comparing Brandon Dubinsky to Rick Nash? A guy who hasn't scored 25 goals in a season ONCE, to a guy who has scored more than 30 goals SIX times and 40 or more goals twice.
Getting words shoved in my mouth.

No, I'm saying stats don't dictate everything, and people seriously skew the definition of what a "1st liner", "2nd liner", "3rd liner", etc is. I never compared them at all.

Rick Nash is overrated, though. He's definitely capable of eventually being an amazing player, but you can't go 2 straight seasons below the 70 point mark and still be considered an "elite" talent. I have a feeling this season he's going to show what he can really do, but if he were on the Rangers, you just know everybody would be calling him an albatross contract, or another "Sather mistake."

Old
07-22-2011, 11:08 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
Getting words shoved in my mouth.

No, I'm saying stats don't dictate everything, and people seriously skew the definition of what a "1st liner", "2nd liner", "3rd liner", etc is. I never compared them at all.

Rick Nash is overrated, though. He's definitely capable of eventually being an amazing player, but you can't go 2 straight seasons below the 70 point mark and still be considered an "elite" talent. I have a feeling this season he's going to show what he can really do, but if he were on the Rangers, you just know everybody would be calling him an albatross contract, or another "Sather mistake."
True, stat's don't dictate everything. But to claim a guy who has never scored 25 goals or 55 points in a season is a top echelon player or a first line talent is a bit much. Does that mean Brandon can't play on the 1st line with Richards and Gaborik? Absolutely not. But that doesn't necessarily make him a 1st liner. Not all teams have 3 first line talents...most don't. So it's not like we are in a unique situation of having to plug a 2nd liner in to fill a gap. Heck, last year we only had 1 top line player on the team, so the fact that we now have 2/3 of a legit first line is already a big improvement.

Old
07-22-2011, 11:11 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
It's crazy that Rick Nash plays in Columbus. He has to be the least written-about star in the league.

I'm a BIG fan of Rick Nash.

Dubinsky isn't on Nash's level.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 11:14 AM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
It's crazy that Rick Nash plays in Columbus. He has to be the least written-about star in the league.

I'm a BIG fan of Rick Nash.
I love Rick Nash, love his game, love watching him play.

But he hasn't been an elite performer the last 2 seasons. Could make the argument that he has no talent around him, but I mean, Gaborik scored 86 points in 09-10. I'd take Vermette and Umberger over Prospal and Christensen any day.

Quote:
True, stat's don't dictate everything. But to claim a guy who has never scored 25 goals or 55 points in a season is a top echelon player or a first line talent is a bit much. Does that mean Brandon can't play on the 1st line with Richards and Gaborik? Absolutely not. But that doesn't necessarily make him a 1st liner. Not all teams have 3 first line talents...most don't. So it's not like we are in a unique situation of having to plug a 2nd liner in to fill a gap. Heck, last year we only had 1 top line player on the team, so the fact that we now have 2/3 of a legit first line is already a big improvement.
I guess it's just up to an individuals discretion of what a "1st liner" is. I disagree with the public's opinion of what it entails. To me, a 1st line player is a player who can play on the 1st line, and bring something that wouldn't be there without him. I feel Dubinsky can bring something to a line that will make others around him better.

Old
07-22-2011, 11:15 AM
TrollololBoyle

I love this fascination with Dubinsky all of the sudden by the whole HF community.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 11:18 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
I love this fascination with Dubinsky all of the sudden by the whole HF community.
He was already a phenomenon with the Hurricanes fans, taking part in the least funny joke in the HF community.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote