HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RotoWorld: Markov signing - Worst of the Summer

Old
07-20-2011, 03:00 PM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
It was praised by the media and sens fans and you are right it was a general consensus.

Myself and my friend Sam both said this would be a terrible signing from day one. Call it a gut feeling, I've been wrong about many but this one I was so right.

It wasn't about the injuries for me, more-so it was about the fact that on a weaker Washington Capitals he put up the same numbers as he did on a stacked Pittsburgh Penguins. I saw Ottawa being a flop and didn't think without the supporting cast he had in Pittsburgh he'd be able to remain consistent. If anything his production should have skyrocketed playing with Crosby/Malkin all the time and on the PP but it actually remained the same.

Then throw on top of that the Moen goal in game 7... I will never be able to look at Gonchar the same again. Was so happy we didn't try signing him to takeover for Markov or something ridiculous like that. I also had a bad feeling we might try to sign him, thank god we didn't.

It isn't even an argument imo, TSN and all those networks said it was an amazing signing, in fact I even heard some of them claiming it was the best of free agency, and that made me lol more than ever considering my personal opinion of the matter. By far one of the worst signings.
I also thought that was a terrible signing by the Sens...anyways, as it relates to Markov, I can't understand why anyone would think it would be a wise idea for the Habs to just walk away from Markov.

How many teams just let their best player walk away when they have the money to sign him???

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 04:27 PM
Turk

Markov is the most underrated dman in the NHL. Rotochild is confused.

Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 05:39 PM
Hank Scorpio

Quote:
It wasn't about the injuries for me, more-so it was about the fact that on a weaker Washington Capitals he put up the same numbers as he did on a stacked Pittsburgh Penguins. I saw Ottawa being a flop and didn't think without the supporting cast he had in Pittsburgh he'd be able to remain consistent. If anything his production should have skyrocketed playing with Crosby/Malkin all the time and on the PP but it actually remained the same.
Living in Ottawa, I can tell you that this was the general consensus amongst Sens fans I know and local media. You listed most of the reason above but it was also the length of the contract. Some praised the contract noting that he'd balance out Ottawa's power play (TSN, for example) and many saw him as a mentor for Erik Karlsson but this was disputed by the fact that many in Ottawa felt his offensive game was already well-developed and he needed a more defensive partner, hence why he spent most of his time playing with Phillips. Sens fans certainly are more angry about the signing now then they were when it happened but it didn't exactly get them excited about there team either. He was seen as a good player with a bad contract, nothing more.

As for this article, I think we need to take it for what it is, some guy trying to get some attention. He's a hockey writer for an NBC affiliate and, though I'm sure it's a reputable site for other sports (Baseball, Football and Basketball I imagine) it's probably not very popular for hockey. After looking over a few other hockey-related articles, it was very obvious that hockey information on Rotoworld is extremely shallow with very little insight into the information being displayed (for example, they'll list information such as points or injury history but offer no explanation as to why these results were achieved or what they offered to the team).

This brings me to the Markov commentary, based on the information they provide in comparison to other sites that cover or focus on hockey, the type of person I expect them to draw is the type of guy who's on the site to check out news about MLB spring training but is watching hockey because there's nothing else on and seemed a little interested. It's clear the hockey section of this site is meant for a casual glance and nothing else and coming out and saying something like that about a player like Markov seems like nothing more to me then an attempt to beef up the amount of hit's in said section at the risk of exposing the complete lack of depth. Most of us who follow hockey only have never heard of this site (myself included) until now, and with good reason.

Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 07:23 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
And how the **** are we any closer to winning a cup if we didn't sign him? Prey tell.

What's better, Subban and Markov or Subban and Brendan Nash?
with or without the ********n overpaid Markov we arent going to win anything

so wtf are we gambling on him for

its not like ehroff in Buffalo ...they are a good team on the rise ....he is 28 not 33 coming off 3 injuried years in a row

If Buffalo has lets say a shot of competing for a cup in 4 years he is only 33 and not finished ...plus Buffalo`s core is betetr than ours

Markov in Detroit, San Jose , Boston and a few others fine ...gamble away you have a shot at a cup

who the F arew we going to take out in the next 3 years ?

Cmon

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 07:25 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Arpon is one of the good ones.
Arpon Basu is a great example of someone who's gone from the blogosphere to becoming one of the more respectable hockey journalist in mainstream media.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 08:25 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post

its not like ehroff in Buffalo ...they are a good team on the rise ....he is 28 not 33 coming off 3 injuried years in a row

If Buffalo has lets say a shot of competing for a cup in 4 years he is only 33 and not finished ...plus Buffalo`s core is betetr than ours

Markov in Detroit, San Jose , Boston and a few others fine ...gamble away you have a shot at a cup

Cmon
agreed completely, would be much much better to suck for the next three years... wich fan doesnt like to watch his team lose most of their games...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 08:58 AM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:

Cmon
Wow, I hope you simply forgot to post the sarcastic smiley face.

Montreal without Gorges or Markov or Pacioretty (or even Cole) took the Stanley Cup Champions to over time of game seven and barely lost. Over the 7 games, we scored the same number of goals as the Bruins. Are you really going to try and tell anyone that Markov doesn't score at least 1 valuable goal or make at least a single assist on a valuable goal if he were playing??? Our team is quite strong, even with the perceived weakness of Gomez as our #2 center. Markov, as long as he stays healthy, makes us a contender in the East. We are not guaranteed to win the Cup, but providing we stay healthy, we can sure as heck challenge for it.

How you think we can not challenge for the Cup WITH a healthy Markov when we have done as well as we have over the last 2 seasons without him is...mind boggling.

The Sabres are a good team, and will be a strong contender as long as Roy recovers from his injury, Erhoff continues his offensive development and we learn if he was helping the Sedins or simply benefited from their offensive creativity, and as long as Myers returns to form.

Our core consists of guys like Cammalleri, Gionta, Plekanec, Subban and Price, all back from last year. We now add a healthy Markov, Cole, Pacioretty, and Gorges, and that is looking quite nice. We also hope some kids like Eller, Desharnais, and Yemelin step up and prove that they have what it takes to play in this league. We have strong role players like Gill and Darche. Finally, we have guys like Gomez and Kostitsyn who may or may not be very good or very bad on any given night. In other words, we have an improved version of the team that went to the Eastern Conference Finals 2 years ago, and almost beat the Cup Champions in 7 games last year. That really doesn't excite you as a Habs fan??

Man, the only thing I am holding out some hope for is that we spend some money to get Scott Hannan to play for our defence and hurt some people, and that we sign a guy like Brad Winchester to give us some more beef. We have as good a chance to be #1 in our division as Buffalo or Boston, and considering how well we played Boston throughout the season, including the playoffs, I like our chances better than Boston's...especially now that Shanahan will be in charge of disciplining infractions rather than "Daddy" Campbell.

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 09:12 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Well obviously it's not the worst signing but it potentially could be a bad one if he checks into the infirmary again. That will leave Subban to carry the offensive load and heavy minutes.

And Markov has not proven a whole lot in the playoffs. I'm okay with his signing but to me he is a risk but one worth taking.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 12:09 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

The author's analogy is not very fitting.

The risk is not with Markov, it's with Markov's knee. Andrei has shown consistent effort and results over time, even when he was given his "cash-in" contract. that can't be said for a lot of athletes.

its all in the hands of sports medicine.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 08:41 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post

Montreal without Gorges or Markov or Pacioretty (or even Cole) took the Stanley Cup Champions to over time of game seven and barely lost. Over the 7 games, we scored the same number of goals as the Bruins. Are you really going to try and tell anyone that Markov doesn't score at least 1 valuable goal or make at least a single assist on a valuable goal if he were playing??? Our team is quite strong, even with the perceived weakness of Gomez as our #2 center. Markov, as long as he stays healthy, makes us a contender in the East. We are not guaranteed to win the Cup, but providing we stay healthy, we can sure as heck challenge for it.

How you think we can not challenge for the Cup WITH a healthy Markov when we have done as well as we have over the last 2 seasons without him is...mind boggling.

The Sabres are a good team, and will be a strong contender as long as Roy recovers from his injury, Erhoff continues his offensive development and we learn if he was helping the Sedins or simply benefited from their offensive creativity, and as long as Myers returns to form.

Our core consists of guys like Cammalleri, Gionta, Plekanec, Subban and Price, all back from last year. We now add a healthy Markov, Cole, Pacioretty, and Gorges, and that is looking quite nice. We also hope some kids like Eller, Desharnais, and Yemelin step up and prove that they have what it takes to play in this league. We have strong role players like Gill and Darche. Finally, we have guys like Gomez and Kostitsyn who may or may not be very good or very bad on any given night. In other words, we have an improved version of the team that went to the Eastern Conference Finals 2 years ago, and almost beat the Cup Champions in 7 games last year. That really doesn't excite you as a Habs fan??

Man, the only thing I am holding out some hope for is that we spend some money to get Scott Hannan to play for our defence and hurt some people, and that we sign a guy like Brad Winchester to give us some more beef. We have as good a chance to be #1 in our division as Buffalo or Boston, and considering how well we played Boston throughout the season, including the playoffs, I like our chances better than Boston's...especially now that Shanahan will be in charge of disciplining infractions rather than "Daddy" Campbell.

lets stop this nonsene how we came within a goal of kncoking out the champs this year . I came within 3 numbers of winning LOTTOMAX last week , big deal

new season ....last year is old news...ask the Oilers what happened after they went to the cup

ask Calgary what they accomplished in the last 4 years with the same team

with Markov and georges we dont acquire Wiz and PK`s developement would of slowed big time casue he wouldnt get the ice time

your theory is useless ....this game is about building a core to work with and then getting momentum, breaks , luck with no injries and having the little things go your way like the Bruins this year ...who showed great character

but it comes down to having the nucleus to win something ....we dont

this core stinks period ....in 3 years MARKOV...GIO...GOMEZ...COLE ...are done or gone ...Darche , Kosty, gill will be long gone b4 then

cammy and pleks will be 32 and none of these guys has any upside for this team

this team is built with PK , PRICE and we better pray max and eller turn into above average players and time will tell with TINORDI , NATHAN and LEBLANC

Boston , Philly and others have superior longer tern players you can build around

cole and Markov at 33 are made for team ready to win it all not us stuck in the middle of the pack .

Old
07-21-2011, 09:16 PM
Protest the Hero

I can't wait until everyone can watch him play again. Subban at his peak last season was about half of what Markov is consistently.

I know he can't skate, slapshot or hit like P.K, but everything else is miles ahead at this point.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 04:47 AM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Habitats View Post
I can't wait until everyone can watch him play again. Subban at his peak last season was about half of what Markov is consistently.

I know he can't skate, slapshot or hit like P.K, but everything else is miles ahead at this point.
PK ...if all goes well will be a NORRIS WINNER in time

he is physically stronger and has an exta gear markov never had and now will probably lose step with injuries

he is the future and maybe EMELIN surprises as well

Old
07-22-2011, 05:41 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
PK ...if all goes well will be a NORRIS WINNER in time

he is physically stronger and has an exta gear markov never had and now will probably lose step with injuries

he is the future and maybe EMELIN surprises as well
ok, he's going to lose something he doesnt have... that's good

on a side note, if there's one thing Markov has over PK is vision/transition... You may not like the guy but there's a reason Markov is one of the best PP QB in the league...

Quote:
lets stop this nonsene how we came within a goal of kncoking out the champs this year . I came within 3 numbers of winning LOTTOMAX last week , big deal

new season ....last year is old news...ask the Oilers what happened after they went to the cup

with Markov and georges we dont acquire Wiz and PK`s developement would of slowed big time casue he wouldnt get the ice time

your theory is useless ....this game is about building a core to work with and then getting momentum, breaks , luck with no injries and having the little things go your way like the Bruins this year ...who showed great character

this core stinks period ....in 3 years MARKOV...GIO...GOMEZ...COLE ...are done or gone ...Darche , Kosty, gill will be long gone b4 then

this team is built with PK , PRICE and we better pray max and eller turn into above average players and time will tell with TINORDI , NATHAN and LEBLANC

Boston , Philly and others have superior longer tern players you can build around

cole and Markov at 33 are made for team ready to win it all not us stuck in the middle of the pack .
no upside, you must be kidding... but just in case you arent, 13 goals in 19 playoffs games, 10 pts in one round of playoffs... ring a bell ?

Old
07-22-2011, 08:00 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
ok, he's going to lose something he doesnt have... that's good

on a side note, if there's one thing Markov has over PK is vision/transition... You may not like the guy but there's a reason Markov is one of the best PP QB in the league...
I can do that too.

Markov only has one skill better than PK's level? Really?

That's basically what you just did to the poster above. Take a line mid sentence and take it totally out of context

And Geeman: you lost all credibility when you tried to say a 32 year old Plekanec or Cammalleri has no value.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 09:16 AM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

vCash: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
no upside, you must be kidding... but just in case you arent, 13 goals in 19 playoffs games, 10 pts in one round of playoffs... ring a bell ?
Lol yeah, I think Cammalleri has the one of the best PPG ratios of the entire league over the past two playoffs if not the best. Didn't do all the number crunching, but he's got 29 points in 26 games over 2 years.

And all this negativity and middle of the pack BS is starting to annoy me, half the conference can aspire to win it all, the habs included.

Signing Markov was a good move, the salary doesn't bother me one bit and I hope he retires here. But hey, I'm no Rotato Potato Peeler, so what do I know.

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 11:30 AM
Toro

another dumb article in the dulldrums of summer by a non hockey writer.

This author is a tool.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 11:46 AM
McNuts

That guy is an idiot.

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 02:36 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:

1--Winning the lottery is pure 100% chance. Putting a competitive hockey team on the ice that has made the Eastern Conference Finals two years ago, and played well enough with significant injuries to challenge the eventual SCC in 7 games is not 100% chance.

2--There are times where a team can go from first to worst, so to speak, from one season to the next. However, it is far more likely that a well constructed team will be fairly consistent in getting to the playoffs and competing in them. This is something our team has shown for two straight seasons since we overhauled our roster.

3-- A healthy Markov is far superior to Wiz, both offensively and defensively. As far as Leadership goes, it is not even close, Markov inspires his team, Wiz plays well on his team. Nothing wrong with Wiz, I liked him, but he is not Markov.

4--The Habs have a core consisting of veterans and younger players. Our CURRENT core has Price, Subban, Cole, Markov, Gill, Cammy, Gionta, and Plekanec as a good mix of great veterans and youthful players whose stock is rising. We have good pieces on the team who look to be improving enough to truly step up next year in Eller and Pacioretty. We also have a lot of young potential in Kristo, Leblanc, Tinordi, Weber, Palushaj, and Beaulieu who will be pushing to make this team over the next 1-3 years as guys like Gomez and Kostitsyn approach their final time with us. How you think the Habs are a nothing team in 3-4 years, and are not contenders TODAY is beyond foolish and so short-sighted as to be painful. We are not a lock to win the Stanley Cup. We will definitely be able to compete for it, though.

5--The Bruins won through "character"?!?!? Wow, what season did you watch? The Bruins had luck and the league disciplinarian helping them far more than any "character". The amount of dirty hits they performed without any penalty was brutal and offensive. Do you really think the Bruins beat us if Ference gets the 100% deserved suspension for the shoulder to Halpern's head in the playoffs that went unpunished??? It was an interference play 60 feet away from the puck, targeting a player's head for no good reason other than Halpern looked away from Ference to see where the play went. Was it "character" that led to Chara getting nothing for almost killing Pacioretty? How about the cross check during the regular season that Lucic gave to the back of Moore's (Tampa Bay) head that went unpunished?? How much "character" was involved in Rome getting the longest suspension in Stanley Cup history for "an interference penalty leading to serious injury" and then Boychuk getting nothing for what was an obvious interference play that led to the serious injury suffered by Raymond?? "Character"?!?!? LOL. No, the Bruins are a decent team that did way better than they should have but needed quite a bit of extra help to do so. "Character". Wow. If "character" means "dirty", then I guess they have "character". I won't even compare the deserved fines and suspensions that the Islanders received for their assault on the Penguins in relation to the nothing the Bruins received for their brutal assault on the Habs in that 8-6 regular season travesty that happened that got the Bruins 0 fines and 0 suspensions, even though Campbell cut Pyatt's face to crap using his elbow pad to hit him (only a single example from that game with many more available if you really want to discuss it).

6--I love how the Bruins are so much better than us but had a losing regular season against us last year, and barely beat us in the playoffs with 3 of our best players injured. Do you even watch hockey games or simply look at the Stanley Cup Champion and base predictions and comments on who won the Cup and the position other teams placed during the playoffs?!?!? Philly lost their two best offensive weapons and a significant player in Leino to get a bunch of unproven prospects, but they are still supposedly one of the top teams to watch? You do know that Briere is no longer playing with the opposing team's 3rd defensive pairing since Richards and Carter are no longer insulating him from top pair defensive alignments, right? I guess you feel Braydon Schenn and Couturier are already established NHL all stars based on their significant time in the NHL, right? What other teams are head and shoulders above us? Pittsburgh? I guess if Markov is a health risk, Crosby and Malkin are the most healthy players to ever play the game, no health risk with them, right? Need I continue??? Again, are we a LOCK to win the CUP? No. Of course, nobody else is, either. Otherwise, Vancouver would have the last Cup, not Boston. That is why they play the games in actual hockey rinks, not based on paper in computer simulations. We are not a "LOCK" to win the CUP, but we sure as heck are a lock to be capable of competing for the Cup.

I hate when people who know nothing about actual hockey jump on a site to babble about it based on what they read on a score sheet.

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 02:45 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

What a dumb article, the signing is risky because he's injury prone. But less than 6 million per season for a guy who can put up 60+ points on defence is never gonna be a bad deal. He's also incredibly underrated defensively.

I also don't get the Jagr thing, how does he know Jagr will only get 30-35 points? I'm not about to pencil him for 100 points but I'd be surprised if he got less than 55.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 03:54 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
I can do that too.

Markov only has one skill better than PK's level? Really?

That's basically what you just did to the poster above. Take a line mid sentence and take it totally out of context

And Geeman: you lost all credibility when you tried to say a 32 year old Plekanec or Cammalleri has no value.
thanks for the lesson, Dad.

Old
07-22-2011, 09:19 PM
bsl

Quote:

Let's put it another way:

All this talk of most improved team through free agency.

Imagine this: Habs were one goal away from the Semis last year, and played very well against the cup winner

They have Subban and Price. Possibly Elite level, and still young.

Cammy and Pleks. Gio. Pretty close to elite, and damn good.

Eller, who was playing hurt. AK, all the potential in the world, and still a 20 goal kid. Weber developing. DD, a long shot but intense. A sub par Gomer, still young enough. Solid vet in Moen, still not old. Young fireplug White breaking in. A leader in Gill. Good, experienced coaching. A happy dressing room.

That's your team. Pretty good.

Now go out and sign the following 'free agents':

Andrei Markov
Josh Gorges
Alexei Yemelin
Erik Cole
Max Pacioretty.

We'd be ****-ing top of the list of improved teams with every web site in North America.

No one is seeing this!

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 09:19 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
1--Winning the lottery is pure 100% chance. Putting a competitive hockey team on the ice that has made the Eastern Conference Finals two years ago, and played well enough with significant injuries to challenge the eventual SCC in 7 games is not 100% chance.

2--There are times where a team can go from first to worst, so to speak, from one season to the next. However, it is far more likely that a well constructed team will be fairly consistent in getting to the playoffs and competing in them. This is something our team has shown for two straight seasons since we overhauled our roster.

3-- A healthy Markov is far superior to Wiz, both offensively and defensively. As far as Leadership goes, it is not even close, Markov inspires his team, Wiz plays well on his team. Nothing wrong with Wiz, I liked him, but he is not Markov.

4--The Habs have a core consisting of veterans and younger players. Our CURRENT core has Price, Subban, Cole, Markov, Gill, Cammy, Gionta, and Plekanec as a good mix of great veterans and youthful players whose stock is rising. We have good pieces on the team who look to be improving enough to truly step up next year in Eller and Pacioretty. We also have a lot of young potential in Kristo, Leblanc, Tinordi, Weber, Palushaj, and Beaulieu who will be pushing to make this team over the next 1-3 years as guys like Gomez and Kostitsyn approach their final time with us. How you think the Habs are a nothing team in 3-4 years, and are not contenders TODAY is beyond foolish and so short-sighted as to be painful. We are not a lock to win the Stanley Cup. We will definitely be able to compete for it, though.

5--The Bruins won through "character"?!?!? Wow, what season did you watch? The Bruins had luck and the league disciplinarian helping them far more than any "character". The amount of dirty hits they performed without any penalty was brutal and offensive. Do you really think the Bruins beat us if Ference gets the 100% deserved suspension for the shoulder to Halpern's head in the playoffs that went unpunished??? It was an interference play 60 feet away from the puck, targeting a player's head for no good reason other than Halpern looked away from Ference to see where the play went. Was it "character" that led to Chara getting nothing for almost killing Pacioretty? How about the cross check during the regular season that Lucic gave to the back of Moore's (Tampa Bay) head that went unpunished?? How much "character" was involved in Rome getting the longest suspension in Stanley Cup history for "an interference penalty leading to serious injury" and then Boychuk getting nothing for what was an obvious interference play that led to the serious injury suffered by Raymond?? "Character"?!?!? LOL. No, the Bruins are a decent team that did way better than they should have but needed quite a bit of extra help to do so. "Character". Wow. If "character" means "dirty", then I guess they have "character". I won't even compare the deserved fines and suspensions that the Islanders received for their assault on the Penguins in relation to the nothing the Bruins received for their brutal assault on the Habs in that 8-6 regular season travesty that happened that got the Bruins 0 fines and 0 suspensions, even though Campbell cut Pyatt's face to crap using his elbow pad to hit him (only a single example from that game with many more available if you really want to discuss it).

6--I love how the Bruins are so much better than us but had a losing regular season against us last year, and barely beat us in the playoffs with 3 of our best players injured. Do you even watch hockey games or simply look at the Stanley Cup Champion and base predictions and comments on who won the Cup and the position other teams placed during the playoffs?!?!? Philly lost their two best offensive weapons and a significant player in Leino to get a bunch of unproven prospects, but they are still supposedly one of the top teams to watch? You do know that Briere is no longer playing with the opposing team's 3rd defensive pairing since Richards and Carter are no longer insulating him from top pair defensive alignments, right? I guess you feel Braydon Schenn and Couturier are already established NHL all stars based on their significant time in the NHL, right? What other teams are head and shoulders above us? Pittsburgh? I guess if Markov is a health risk, Crosby and Malkin are the most healthy players to ever play the game, no health risk with them, right? Need I continue??? Again, are we a LOCK to win the CUP? No. Of course, nobody else is, either. Otherwise, Vancouver would have the last Cup, not Boston. That is why they play the games in actual hockey rinks, not based on paper in computer simulations. We are not a "LOCK" to win the CUP, but we sure as heck are a lock to be capable of competing for the Cup.

I hate when people who know nothing about actual hockey jump on a site to babble about it based on what they read on a score sheet.
my brother I have probably watched 50x the games you have

are you old enough to to have seen any of our cups ?

have you wached any of the other teams who won cups in the last 10 years ?

does this roster look like a contender ? be serious

I know more than you wil ever know in the game

we have won **** since 1993 , with very limited success

You do know that Briere is no longer playing with the opposing team's 3rd defensive pairing since Richards and Carter are no longer insulating him from top pair defensive alignments, right? I guess you feel Braydon Schenn and Couturier are already established NHL all stars based on their significant time in the NHL, right? What other teams are head and shoulders above us? Pittsburgh? I guess if Markov is a health risk, Crosby and Malkin are the most healthy players to ever play the game, no health risk with them, right? Need I continue???

no I will continue for you

we dont have a Crosby or Malkin ...world class front liners

we dont have Bostons core and I dont have Seguin or Hamilton coming up

you can crap on the Flyers all you want bro

they milked every squeeze of lemon out of Richards and Carter ...

the difference with Philly and Boston is both teams had the nuts to make gutsy moves to move forward .... we dont ...

Ciarelli moves his only true scorer in Kessel for 2 top picks because he felt a change was needed

have you noticed Carter and Richards numbers the last few years ....they both went down and you start to see richards getting banged up on a small frame

holmgren wanted a complete change in the dressing room ,leadership, culture etc..

regardless how it works out ...he had the stones to make a move now at the peak of trade values

one more bad year or dressing room issues out of both of them and their value is zilch

where was Gainey when he could of scored the moon when KOMI had that one year leetching of Markov when all he is a third pairing d guy ... HAVE YOU WATCHED THE LEAFS LATELY ....you knew he was gone at some point ?

I applaud Holgren ....they peaked with that team and moved on

but while he gets the best prospect in the world , a stud in Cotourier and 2 up and coming kids in simmonds and voracek

we pick up a 33 year old aging COLE and we praise the signing of a journeyman midget in DD

these arent moves to put us over the top

Cole will get his 20 at the expense of Kosty who wil lbe on the third line and gone a year later

WOULD YOU AS GM HAD THE NUTS TO MOVE CAMMY AND PLEKS FOR THOSE 2 FLYER TRADES ????

In a heartbeat regardless if there is short term pain for long term gain

you give me Schenn , Coturier , Simmonds, Voracek, to go with Eller , Max , PK and Price ....and hopefully Emelin, Nathan, tinordi and Leblanc one day ...now you have a core to work with one day

I will gladly take a few years hit to move forward ....maybe a better draft pick or 2 and with GIO and others for a bit of leadership ....this team maybe solid one day

1/2 this team is gone in 2-3 years ...and all we will be a middle of the pack team til then

Last edited by onemorecup*: 07-22-2011 at 09:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old
07-22-2011, 09:36 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
my brother I have probably watched 50x the games you have

are you old enough to to have seen any of our cups ?

have you wached any of the other teams who won cups in the last 10 years ?

does this roster look like a contender ? be serious

I know more than you wil ever know in the game

we have won **** since 1993 , with very limited success

You do know that Briere is no longer playing with the opposing team's 3rd defensive pairing since Richards and Carter are no longer insulating him from top pair defensive alignments, right? I guess you feel Braydon Schenn and Couturier are already established NHL all stars based on their significant time in the NHL, right? What other teams are head and shoulders above us? Pittsburgh? I guess if Markov is a health risk, Crosby and Malkin are the most healthy players to ever play the game, no health risk with them, right? Need I continue???

no I will continue for you

we dont have a Crosby or Malkin ...world class front liners

we dont have Bostons core and I dont have Seguin or Hamilton coming up

you can crap on the Flyers all you want bro

they milked every squeeze of lemon out of Richards and Carter ...

the difference with Philly and Boston is both teams had the nuts to make gutsy moves to move forward .... we dont ...

Ciarelli moves his only true scorer in Kessel for 2 top picks because he felt a change was needed

have you noticed Carter and Richards numbers the last few years ....they both went down and you start to see richards getting banged up on a small frame

holmgren wanted a complete change in the dressing room ,leadership, culture etc..

regardless how it works out ...he had the stones to make a move now at the peak of trade values

one more bad year or dressing room issues out of both of them and their value is zilch

where was Gainey when he could of scored the moon when KOMI had that one year leetching of Markov when all he is a third pairing d guy ... HAVE YOU WATCHED THE LEAFS LATELY ....you knew he was gone at some point ?

I applaud Holgren ....they peaked with that team and moved on

but while he gets the best prospect in the world , a stud in Cotourier and 2 up and coming kids in simmonds and voracek

we pick up a 33 year old aging COLE and we praise the signing of a journeyman midget in DD

these arent moves to put us over the top

Cole will get his 20 at the expense of Kosty who wil lbe on the third line and gone a year later

WOULD YOU AS GM HAD THE NUTS TO MOVE CAMMY AND PLEKS FOR THOSE 2 FLYER TRADES ????

In a heartbeat regardless if there is short term pain for long term gain

you give me Schenn , Coturier , Simmonds, Voracek, to go with Eller , Max , PK and Price ....and hopefully Emelin, Nathan, tinordi and Leblanc one day ...now you have a core to work with one day

I will gladly take a few years hit to move forward ....maybe a better draft pick or 2 and with GIO and others for a bit of leadership ....this team maybe solid one day

1/2 this team is gone in 2-3 years ...and all we will be a middle of the pack team til then
He knows more about hockey than you ever will.

Having watched a gazillion games doesn't make a moron any wiser about hockey. Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 09:38 PM
bsl

Quote:

What do you want? Are you expecting us to build a 4 cup dynasty? I used to argue the same thing: "I don't want one cup, I want 2 or 3 in 5 years" Detroit is the model you want, and I want. But we may have to wait for the system to clear entirely for that to happen, and for a superstar forward. 5 years or more.

I do understand you. But I think you're missing the big point: It may seem overly optimistic, but the Habs window is the next three years, not in ten years. Price and Subban could be gone in 4 years. Are we elite? No. But we're improving right now, and the window is opening.

A cup, just one, would be nice thanks.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 09:42 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Worst in the summer IF he gets injured again.

Best of the summer IF he doesn't get injured.

But most importantly....the most obvious signing of the summer. Gauthier had NO FREAKIN CHOICE. Nobody out there was as good. This is a Habs product. He likes it here. We love him here. Injured or not, we had no choice. I wish we'd have a more solid defensive corps IF he indeed gets injured again, but aside from that, it was a signing to be done.

So the way this article was written is total BS. But nothing surprising really.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote