HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Buffalo-Islanders

Old
07-21-2011, 11:40 PM
Hipster Doofus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanekTheMvp View Post
Id rather keep both and do a Morrisonn and a pick type deal or kotalik and a top prospect ..but not two roster players, also value is there
Of course you'd rather do that for Bailey cause no team is taking on Kotalik or Morrisson without a salary dump.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 11:45 PM
TyMy57
Enroth is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
----------------------

We don't need to shed cap. We're fine. ... So what you're basically saying is ..... We give Sekara up in a salary dump ... Doesn't make sense for a team trying to win NOW ... I wouldn't do it.
Really? So you're content having zero wiggle room what so ever? Sekera isn't the salary dump in this deal genius, it's basically Sekera for Bailey and Hecht is thrown in to get rid of his ridiculous salary. Talent wise, I like what Bailey can do for us and the potential to do even more, than what Hecht is giving us and at his age, Jochen isn't going to be producing any more than he has been the past few years. We're stacked on the blueline, and MAG will fill in @ the 6 defense spot with Weber, and we have many guys in Rochester fighting for the 7/8 spots. This deal makes perfect sense, in with the team trying to win NOW.

TyMy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 11:45 PM
Sabres1026*

I'm a fan of Bailey and would like him as buffalo's third line center. The islanders seem to find a way to take good prospects and ruin the player and their confidence until they trade the player and they turn out to be very good players.

If this went through MAG would be on the third d pairing and I think they would need a seventh d man.

Sabres1026* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 11:58 PM
Devereau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
The main piece is Sekera not Hecht you fools. This is a pretty solid deal for the Isles. they get back a center, they fill their need for defense (albeit one who is a bit under the radar) and Sabres get to gamble on Bailey who has flashed brilliance but seems to be getting lost in the shuffle.
Thats what I said.

Devereau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 12:08 AM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin27NYI View Post
Well then I'm for it!
Yeah this trade proposal is actually shockingly pretty close and could see both sides agreeing.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 05:41 AM
TyMy57
Enroth is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnpike Terrors View Post
Yeah this trade proposal is actually shockingly pretty close and could see both sides agreeing.
Which is why this thread is going to die. People don't want to see good proposals on these forums, they want to see terrible ones so they can tell the person making them they suck, and they should kill themselves.

TyMy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 06:06 AM
Reacher Gilt

vCash: 50
You don't pay Sekera a big signing bonus just to trade him after that.

Reacher Gilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 06:11 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeZebra View Post
Islanders make out like bandits here
Until Bailey is Tim Connolly without the concussion history.... like as soon as next season.

The value of this deal seems fair. I think Buffalo wins it over the long run, because they need to drop some salary now and would be getting a kid who is going to be 50-70 point guy as soon as next season.

Snow should be interested in Sekera though.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 06:12 AM
lifeisruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres1026 View Post
I'm a fan of Bailey and would like him as buffalo's third line center. The islanders seem to find a way to take good prospects and ruin the player and their confidence until they trade the player and they turn out to be very good players.

If this went through MAG would be on the third d pairing and I think they would need a seventh d man.
with Hecht and Sekera's contracts off the books there will be more then enough room to keep Morrison, who I think would be a better option as a seventh d-man then any of the Rochester kids. Morrison being a stay at home guy gives the Sabres some flexibility, as to whether they want a more offensive style or defensive style.

lifeisruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 06:40 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyMy57 View Post
I'd do it simply to shred all that cap, plus if i'm not mistaken, the Islanders need to take on some cap for the year to reach the cap floor. The talent is there on both sides to make it a good trade.
Yeah? And use it on who?

Two contributing roster players for a guy who has seen his value drop or maintain since he was drafted doesn't sound too intriguing for a team in win-now mode.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 08:30 AM
Devereau

Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclesonapapershelf View Post
Yeah? And use it on who?

Two contributing roster players for a guy who has seen his value drop or maintain since he was drafted doesn't sound too intriguing for a team in win-now mode.
We need to shed some money to get under the cap. Right now we are over by about 3 mill and still need to sign Gragnani and have some room for call ups/bonuses.

Old
07-22-2011, 08:49 AM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devereau View Post
We need to shed some money to get under the cap. Right now we are over by about 3 mill and still need to sign Gragnani and have some room for call ups/bonuses.
Dumping Morrissonn and Kotalik sheds over 5mil...Gragnani won't get over 1mil to resign even if its a multi-year contract which will leave Buffalo with over 1mil in cap space to use on call-ups etc; so they will be fine.

Old Navy Goat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 09:03 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reacher Gilt View Post
You don't pay Sekera a big signing bonus just to trade him after that.
Totally agree. That's what gets lost in this whole deal. It's demoralizing for the player and his teammates. A team like Philly or San Jose, who just can't get over the top and have a lot of veteran leadership can do this. Buffalo is different they're a high-quality team, but also a young team. (That's not a dig.) I think you try to avoid trading an ex-RFA you just signed to an extension in that situation.

For NYI's point of view, the Sekera ship has sailed. If the Sabres and Islanders have anything to talk about it'd be about Pominville. If the Sabres don't want to deal him, we don't have much to talk about.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 09:27 AM
Clock

We're shedding cap space for what, exactly?

Kotalik and Morrisonn are not going to hit the Sabres' cap. The team doesn't have to give up good assets to PAY to get under the cap. Stop that.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 09:27 AM
Devereau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
Dumping Morrissonn and Kotalik sheds over 5mil...Gragnani won't get over 1mil to resign even if its a multi-year contract which will leave Buffalo with over 1mil in cap space to use on call-ups etc; so they will be fine.
Ya I know but if they made this trade they would even have more money to play with. Maybe a true #1 center? I can dream can't I.

Old
07-22-2011, 09:51 AM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devereau View Post
Ya I know but if they made this trade they would even have more money to play with. Maybe a true #1 center? I can dream can't I.
Sure, and that would make sense, but there's nothing out there right now that we know of. The only way this trade makes sense for the Sabres at this moment is if it's a supporting move for something else coming right after. Clearing cap space for the sake of clearing cap space and even paying for it with quality assets is just incompetent management.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 10:21 AM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Sure, and that would make sense, but there's nothing out there right now that we know of. The only way this trade makes sense for the Sabres at this moment is if it's a supporting move for something else coming right after. Clearing cap space for the sake of clearing cap space and even paying for it with quality assets is just incompetent management.
This would make sense if you were getting back mid round picks and cheap crap. Bailey has real upside.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 10:32 AM
Devereau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
I don't think they have any intention of leaving tons of cap space.