HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Price & Subban's next year's contract

Old
07-22-2011, 11:03 AM
neofury*

vCash: 500
Price: 6 year 30 million
Subban: 10 year 52.5 million

Get it done PG. Young D like Subban don't come along every day and this contract would be an absolute steal. Sadly I'm sure PK's agent would look for something more like 4 years 12-14 million and then go for an 8 year 56 million dollar deal.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 11:22 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Surprised to see so many people thinking that he'll sign for 5 million. I don't see that happening.

If Price has a year like he did last season, he'll want 6+ and he'll be worth that money too. With another great year under his belt he'll have proven himself to be a legitimate star and if/when that happens he'll want to be paid like one.

I think it will be closer to 7 million per year than 5.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 11:27 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Surprised to see so many people thinking that he'll sign for 5 million. I don't see that happening.

If Price has a year like he did last season, he'll want 6+ and he'll be worth that money too. With another great year under his belt he'll have proven himself to be a legitimate star and if/when that happens he'll want to be paid like one.

At this point, there is no difference between giving Price $5m and $7m imo. Same thing with PK, we can afford to give him $5m as well if need be.

We have plenty of cap space and it won't be an issue next year again either 8 times out of 10.

Its why I wanted to overpay Wiz, we are a better team with him than we are without him right now and we have the cap space to have kept him.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 11:30 AM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Price: 6 year 30 million
Subban: 10 year 52.5 million

Get it done PG. Young D like Subban don't come along every day and this contract would be an absolute steal. Sadly I'm sure PK's agent would look for something more like 4 years 12-14 million and then go for an 8 year 56 million dollar deal.
If anything i think price is more a rarity than subban.

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 11:33 AM
Bill McNeal

Quote:

The only goalie I'd give 7M a year is Hasek in his prime.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 11:37 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
Have you heard of inflation?

Old
07-22-2011, 11:48 AM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Have you heard of inflation?
Yes, and I still don't believe in signing goalies to big money, long term deals. Very few goalies in today's NHL are actually consistent enough to earn them, and none are worth 7M.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 12:26 PM
BINYON
Rookie User

Quote:
At this point, there is no difference between giving Price $5m and $7m imo. Same thing with PK, we can afford to give him $5m as well if need be.

We have plenty of cap space and it won't be an issue next year again either 8 times out of 10.

Its why I wanted to overpay Wiz, we are a better team with him than we are without him right now and we have the cap space to have kept him.
Wish we overpaid Wiz too, he'll be missed next season especially if Markov cant stay healthy.

I cringe at 7M contracts, but you're right, not too much difference between 5 and 7.

BINYON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 01:59 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
7 million isn't all that crazy anymore for a legitimate star player.
Quote:
Yes, and I still don't believe in signing goalies to big money, long term deals. Very few goalies in today's NHL are actually consistent enough to earn them, and none are worth 7M.
I don't believe in crazy long term deals either but if Price has another stellar season I'd have no problem if we signed him for a four year 28 million dollar deal or 5 at 35 million. As long as he plays like he can, he's worth it. He's still in his early 20s.

We're counting on him to lead the way for us and you can't expect to get that kind of talent cheap. Either he's a star or he's not. And if he is, then you have to pay him what he's worth if you expect him to stay.

Besides, he still wouldn't be the highest paid player on the team if he signed for 7.

Old
07-22-2011, 03:17 PM
habsjunkie2*

I don't believe in paying 7million for a goalie either, not for price or anyone else. I don't think he'll get 7million either.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 03:21 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
We're going to be overpaying Price to keep him, I hope everyone realizes that. What the city has put him through in a young age, it'll cost a premium to consider the offer.

I really hope that we sign him long term because if he signs a deal that brings him to UFA. Kiss him goodbye.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 03:40 PM
Jakomyte

I'd be happy if we could do:

Price: 5 years, $5.5M per ($22M), then UFA
Subban: 3 years, $4M per ($12M), then RFA

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 03:41 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Interesting question, it'd be neat if they got locked up sometime in the middle of the season. I can't imagine that will happen though.

What happens if Price has another top 5 season, or even better? With the cap at 64.3 and him getting VERY close to UFA status (I believe he would have 2 seasons after this one?) I'd sure like to see them give him 5.5 or 6 for 6+ years.

As for Subban, unless he gets 60 points I imagine he'll sign a 3 year 12 million dollar deal.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 05:37 PM
RNiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post

Subban: 3 years, $4M per ($12M), then RFA
Something like this and I'd be happy.

One of the big things I hate about the 10+ year deals, is that the player doesn't have the motivation to play for a better contract anymore. For those thinking that its not a factor, it is. For everyone. Even those who say it isn't. Once players have enough money to live like kings with, it becomes an issue of pride. "I'm among the best, so I want my contract to reflect that" kind of thinking. But if you still have 8 years left on the deal you signed 3 years ago, it just becomes same-old, same-old.

Along those lines of thinking even 5-year deals seem long to me, though I can understand that it is quickly becoming the minimum in the NHL for retaining star players. Players just wont accept less.

RNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 07:37 PM
LyricalLyricist

Can people stop with 8+ years to price and subban, it doesn't make sense. I'm a big fan of both, but it's just not logical. Why give these guys 10 years and pay top dollar anyway? It's not like the montreal canadiens to do that, and for good reason. Subban can regress tomorrow. Although unlikely, he's played 1 year!! Price had one excellent year and other good years, so I have more faith in him, but few teams in the modern cap era rely on goalies and win.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 07:41 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKOTW View Post
We should sign Price till he's 40. DiPietro contract.
It's called 'to pull a wang'

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 09:36 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
I don't believe in paying 7million for a goalie either, not for price or anyone else. I don't think he'll get 7million either.
So, if he asked for 7 million you'd let him walk?
Quote:
I don't think he'll get 7million either.
Maybe not. But if has another year like last season, I'd be really surprised if he makes less than six. And I think we'd be crazy to let him walk if he demanded seven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post

Of course you'd be happy with that, so would I. Everyone would... except probably Price himself.

And his agent.

Old
07-22-2011, 09:40 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
It's called 'to pull a wang'
Woooo! 10 years not sure, 5 is a no brainer for Price @ 5.5, if you go 10(Drunk) then maybe 10 @ 6-7 mill per..60-67 Million. It's a lot to think about!

Player 61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 10:07 PM
Lizard King*

I wouldn't give Subban 5 000 000/ year right away. I'd like to see him signed to a 12M/4 year deal and later on give him the 5M he'll deserve and lock him up for another 5 years for 5M a year. For now he has 1 season under his belt and sure he's good but I wouldn't give him 5M after just one season

Lizard King* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 12:48 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
So, if he asked for 7 million you'd let him walk?

Maybe not. But if has another year like last season, I'd be really surprised if he makes less than six. And I think we'd be crazy to let him walk if he demanded seven.

Of course you'd be happy with that, so would I. Everyone would... except probably Price himself.

And his agent.
I don't know if I could let him walk. It would be a very difficult position to be in. 7million is very steep for a goalie imo. I would prefer to have a better overall team then rely mainly on solid netminding, but Price does look pretty special. I'm glad it's not my decision, if he wanted 7m long term, I would probably quit. lol

Old
07-23-2011, 12:53 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
I don't know if I could let him walk. It would be a very difficult position to be in. 7million is very steep for a goalie imo. I would prefer to have a better overall team then rely mainly on solid netminding, but Price does look pretty special. I'm glad it's not my decision, if he wanted 7m long term, I would probably quit. lol
Unfortunately, if he has another stellar year he's going to have us over a barrel.

Really though, if he has another stellar year I don't see how he's not worth 7 mil. He had a Vezina calibre season last year and he's on the sunny side of 25. Young franchise goalies are hard to find. He's got a very good resume for such a young age. If he's not considered a star now, one more great year would certainly cement it.

And think about it. Whenever folks around here start talking about how we could win a cup, Price's name is always the first that comes up. The team is going to be built around him and Subban. I don't see how we could turn him down if he demanded it.

He'll definitely make 6+ if he has another great season.

Old
07-23-2011, 12:57 AM
sergejean

Quote:
Price: 6 years-33M
Subban: try 8 years-40M; if it doesn't work then settle for 3 years/12M

sergejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 12:59 AM
macavoy

Quote:
I don't know if I could let him walk. It would be a very difficult position to be in. 7million is very steep for a goalie imo.
You would consider letting him walk even though you have $3-4m in extra cap space?

Old
07-23-2011, 01:09 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
You would consider letting him walk even though you have $3-4m in extra cap space?
Extra capspace? Is the league giving us a different cap than everyone else? In the end, I probably couldn't let him walk, but I don't like the idea of taking that space from roster players, but I suppose if you have price at 7 and random backup at 1. 8million for goaltending isn't crazy.

Old
07-23-2011, 01:16 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Extra capspace? Is the league giving us a different cap than everyone else? In the end, I probably couldn't let him walk, but I don't like the idea of taking that space from roster players, but I suppose if you have price at 7 and random backup at 1. 8million for goaltending isn't crazy.
I know, I know... 7 million is kinda 'Pricey'.