HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mikhail Pashnin to Play in N.A This Season (UPDATE: Signs extension in Russia)

Old
07-22-2011, 12:45 PM
Dagoon44

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Sather loves this kid and he hits like a truck can't wait for him in CT.

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 12:45 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Im excited to see him play in the preseason. If I rememebr right, he made some noise in camp last year as being super physical.

Makes me wonder. Going into the year I would rank the defenseman like this.

Staal
Girardi
Sauer
McDonough
MDZ
Erixon
Valentenko
Kundratek
Pashnin

Top 4 is probably locked up, but I would love to see what the rankings would look like after training camp?

MDZ, Erixon, Valentenko, Kundratek, Pashnin ...Who's going to steup up?

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 12:59 PM
E Nixson
Powered by Intel

I guess this means he is eligible for the Traverse City Tourney?

Going to reserve my judgment until prospect camp.

Last edited by E Nixson: 08-02-2011 at 10:23 AM.
E Nixson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 12:59 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
He plays the game exactly like Darius Kasparitis........

He also played some games where he got 20+ minutes of playing time in the KHL, which is a better league than the AHL.

He has skills and teams were afraid to take him because of the fact that he would be able to make more money by staying in Russia and he was already passed over in the NHL Entry Draft (He was not 18 when he was drafted).

All-in-all he is a good prospect and the fact that he actually has a shot to make the NHL team this year (which he does), as a 7th rounder, is already a great draft pick.

I also believe that he was sent down to get back in shape after an injury in the middle of the season and play lots of minutes. He went back down after his KHL team was eliminated and anchored that teams 1st pairing all the way to that leagues championship.

He had 5 points in 16 games in the playoffs with 60 PIM's and a +1.

The fact a 20-21 year old has played in the KHL for (2) seasons already is a good sign. The kid knows how to hit and be aggressive and he is a warrior.

1. He was 21 years old last season, and turned 22 during the playoffs.

2. His 5 points in 16 games were in the MHL, which is the Russian junior league.

3. I don't see him making the Rangers this year. I will be happy if he can be a very good top-4 defenseman in Hartford. So long as he outplays Jyri Niemi (who is a year younger than Pashnin) and Blake Parlett (who is exactly the same age), I will be very glad with his performance. It is possible, however, that he'll be only a #6 blueliner in Hartford, behind Redden, Kundratek, Parlett, Niemi and either Valentenko or MDZ.

4. I hope he can make the Rangers. If we can get an overload of defensemen like we had in 1993-94, we can pull another trade like Turcotte+Patrick for Larmer, where we acquire a great top-6 forward in return for a redundant top-4 defenseman and a 2/3 line tweener.

But I would like to hear real analysis of Pashnin, not the fact that he went first overall in the KHL (waiver/supplemental) draft.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 01:05 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Pashnin is much closer than Noreau at making the NHL. I understand the size thing but the kid is stocky. He is about 6'0 195-200lbs. Thats a pretty good size. And he hits to hurt....

Granted, but he's 4 years older. Noreau is a boy who needs a fake id to get a beer. Pashnin is a grown man.

But younger doesn't mean a worse long-term prospect.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 01:08 PM
eco's bones

To 'light it up' I think you need to score a few points and offense doesn't appear to be a major part of Pashnin's game. Anyway I think he's a good prospect--potentially one who will play better in the smaller NA rinks than the larger European ones as the NA rinks play towards his physical style.

As far as the KHL draft goes--it's nothing like our NHL draft but even so being the first guy chosen in his year means there was some thought that he could be a good player.

I expect if he signs he'll be going to Hartford--perhaps even a stint in Greenville. The NA game may be a better fit for him but he's still going to have adjustments to make--and running all over the place looking for splashy hits all the time is fine in development camp but not so good when the regular season starts--getting caught out of position and/or taking unneeded penalties.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 01:09 PM
free0717

does anyone know if Pashnin is Right Handed? We are kinda lite on the Right side.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 01:16 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
does anyone know if Pashnin is Right Handed? We are kinda lite on the Right side.
He's a left shot.

This kid has a LOT of holes in his game. Big hits are nice, but not when he's abandoning his assignments to make them.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 01:17 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Dmitry Chesnokov
by AGrossRecord
Mikhail Pashnin's agent confirms negotiations with the #NYR. Agent says the Rangers liked what Pashnin showed in camp.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 01:40 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Man what a bunch of downers on here.

I'm not sure what you guys have against this kid but everytime I hear his name it's mostly positive stuff except when I come here.

This is good news for the franchise. Saying he will be #6 on the Whale at this point is kinda silly. I hope he wins a spot in camp just to prove you all wrong. Where we ranked him in the prospect list proves what i'm talking about.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 01:43 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post

I'm not sure what you guys have against this kid but everytime I hear his name it's mostly positive stuff except when I come here.

This is good news for the franchise. Saying he will be #6 on the Whale at this point is kinda silly. I hope he wins a spot in camp just to prove you all wrong. Where we ranked him in the prospect list proves what i'm talking about.
Have you ever seen him play? I haven't, but based on everything that I've read about him not written by the Rangers' PR, he's a dime-a-dozen type player in the KHL. He doesn't appear to have much else in his game apart from his physicality, and even that could be a bit of an issue if he is really 5'10, 5'11.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 01:47 PM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Pashnin scored the first goal and wears #3.

And here´s a fight vs. Josh Gratton, he lost no wonder

n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 01:51 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
That last part I think is the key. He's certainly a guy worth keeping an eye on. I can't imagine he's close to NHL-ready at this point though.
He has some of the worst hockey sense I have ever seen. He removes himself from plays waaaay too much. He has a lot to learn.

EvilCorporateLawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 01:52 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
Have you ever seen him play? I haven't, but based on everything that I've read about him not written by the Rangers' PR, he's a dime-a-dozen type player in the KHL. He doesn't appear to have much else in his game apart from his physicality, and even that could be a bit of an issue if he is really 5'10, 5'11.
Dime-a-dozen players don't get noticed in training camps where top prospects from 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounds are also competing. You really think the Rangers didn't scout him at all this season? Sergei Nemchinov was his GM. I'm pretty sure the franchise is in the loop when it comes to this guy. If they wanna sign him they must see something special.

Old
07-22-2011, 02:03 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Dime-a-dozen players don't get noticed in training camps where top prospects from 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounds are also competing. You really think the Rangers didn't scout him at all this season? Sergei Nemchinov was his GM. I'm pretty sure the franchise is in the loop when it comes to this guy. If they wanna sign him they must see something special.
Like the special things they see in Tommy Grant, Sam Klassen, Jason Missaien and Tysen Dowzak? Signing a player doesn't mean they necessarily think he's special. Sometimes, you sign a guy because he seems like a good player to have in your organization. Pashnin does indeed strike me as a good organizational guy. Not anything special though.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 02:04 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

With our current defensive depth I have a hard time believing Pashnin will ever see time with this club barring injuries.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 02:10 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Like the special things they see in Tommy Grant, Sam Klassen, Jason Missaien and Tysen Dowzak? Signing a player doesn't mean they necessarily think he's special. Sometimes, you sign a guy because he seems like a good player to have in your organization. Pashnin does indeed strike me as a good organizational guy. Not anything special though.
No there is a difference between filling up your AHL spots and signing a guy you want to develop.

Old
07-22-2011, 02:12 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
With our current defensive depth I have a hard time believing Pashnin will ever see time with this club barring injuries.
Yeah Steve Eminger is our number 6, you know that journeyman thats been on 4 teams so far. To me Pashnin has every chance to make the team just like Del Zotto, V-Tank, ect. I can see a love affair starting with Torts and Pash, he just seems like his kind of Dman.

Old
07-22-2011, 02:14 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27;35278161[B
]Yeah Steve Eminger is our number 6,[/B] you know that journeyman thats been on 4 teams so far. To me Pashnin has every chance to make the team just like Del Zotto, V-Tank, ect. I can see a love affair starting with Torts and Pash, he just seems like his kind of Dman.
We have a top 4 right now with MDZ, Tim Erixon, Pavel Valentenko, Dylan McIlrath, and even Tomas Kundratek (imo) all better than Pashnin fighting to get onto the team in the next few years. I think it's a very long shot for him to make it, at the very least.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 02:14 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
No there is a difference between filling up your AHL spots and signing a guy you want to develop.
But the Rangers write fluff pieces on all those guys as well, and Clark provides us with nice quotes. Why is Pashnin different? Why is he the one that we're really developing, whereas the rest are just filler?

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 02:20 PM
Radek27

Quote:
But the Rangers write fluff pieces on all those guys as well, and Clark provides us with nice quotes. Why is Pashnin different? Why is he the one that we're really developing, whereas the rest are just filler?
Because of what he showed on the ice against his peers maybe? What have any of those other players done to be noticed? This is why there is a prospect tournament, to improve your standing within the franchise is it not? Move up the rankings by your play, not your draft position.

Rangers get lucky with 7th round picks for pro D sometimes, Kim Johnsson comes to mind. Not saying I think Pashnin is gonna have a game like Johnsson but he's in a similar position coming into the league.

Old
07-22-2011, 02:32 PM
John Torturella

Funny how many people are experts on this kid. Yes, Im sure you all definitely watched tons of his games in Russia.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 02:38 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
We have a top 4 right now with MDZ, Tim Erixon, Pavel Valentenko, Dylan McIlrath, and even Tomas Kundratek (imo) all better than Pashnin fighting to get onto the team in the next few years. I think it's a very long shot for him to make it, at the very least.
Everyone is writing Erixon in the top six before a game is played.......i'm not sure this is wise. All I know is i'm pumped as hell for camp this year.

Old
07-22-2011, 02:46 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
CSKA D-man Mikhail Pashnin is close to signing with the #NYRangers, says his agent
https://twitter.com/#!/SlavaMalamud/...44838774259713

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 02:46 PM
eco's bones

Quote:

Personally I think Pashnin is a good prospect but I think he's going to need a bit of development. A d-man can't be running people all the time and that's the thing that's struck me most about him in the last two rookie camps. The things they said about him during the first scrimmages in this year's development camp was that he gassed himself in the first few minutes just running around hitting everyone in sight. That's all good if he was a forward getting in on the forecheck but a defenseman has to play with some control or he's going to get burned over and over again.

And I remember Kasper when he first broke in with the Islanders--he used to nail a lot of guys but as many spectacular hits that he had there were as many or more times where the Islanders got burned because he'd taken himself way out of position. I love big hits as much as anyone but there's a time and place for it.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote