HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Goalie Rankings

Old
07-22-2011, 03:48 PM
NYRKing

vCash: 500
2011 Goalie Rankings

Just my guess for OVERALL goaltender rankings at the end of next year (2011-2012 season). I'm taking into account all stats, that means wins as well, i.e. a goalie on a better team will probably have better stats.

1. Miller: Bounce back season w/improved defense
2. Thomas: Possible hangover, but he is all heart
3. Lundqvist: FA upgrade kicks in, young D progresses
4. Rinne: Ready to prove his high upcoming FA price
5. Fleury: Everyone healthy, and their D is very underappreciated, he could do well
6. Quick: Quick and the Kings are due for a big season, I know very high on this list and Bernier in the background, but he will benefit from a cup contender.
7. Price: Slight fall from last year, unfortunately he's here for a long time
8. Vokoun: Perhaps on the team to beat, could argue against due to age, but I see good stats, not just wins.
9. Ward: Top 5 goalie, but canes will still struggle this year.
10. Luongo: Wish I could put him last, but nucks are good, however something spells out tough season after the finals
11. Crawford: The sleeper pick, but is he really? Blackhawks regain their dominance
12. Hiller: If healthy he is top 10
13. Bryzgalov: A gut feeling that says he will regress from a stellar season in his first
year under the spotlight; new team and fat contract.
14. Niemi: Wow there a lot of good netminders, he could easliy be higher on this list, put up good numbers, and adding brent burns on the back end can't hurt.
15. Howard: Will build on solid season, sometimes isn't given enough credit
16. Brodeur: I try to put my bias aside, I honestly think his age and that defense really puts him safely outside the top 10
17. Roloson: He has one more year left in him, on a great team but serves as achilles heel.
18. Halak: His second year will be better, the youth will eventually kick in
19. Lhetonen: Had a solid year, Dallas can still compete
20. Varlamov: Yes, he gets a chance with his favorite team
21. Mason: Really not a fan, but this is the year for him to regain some of his phenom status.
22. Reimer: Honeslty liked his play last year, but despite what Toronto fans think, their team won't be helping him win many games.
23. Smith: Phoenix has a good group, I never liked him in Tampa but he showed some spirit in the playoffs
24. Pavalec: Young goalie who could benefit from a team with a new identity.
25. Kiprusoff: Very streaky year, and Calgary does not look strong, but he still has the ability to steal some games
26. Backstrom: See Kiprusoff
27. Theodore: Played well at times, and Florida def made some useful additions
28. Andersen: Very inconsistent, but needs to be great for Ottawa to compete
29. Dubnyk: Played fairly well considering, needs to sit through the youth movement
30. DP/Montoya: Look the Isles have some stud young guns, but the D and these goalies are a mess.

Last edited by NYRKing: 07-22-2011 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Fudged the Title: It should be 2011-2012 Rankings, so I'm basically saying Miller will win the Vezina next year
NYRKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 04:29 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Tim Thomas HAS To be ranked #1 based on last season. I still think hes supremely overrated, but you cant deny the guy has had one of the greatest statistical seasons EVER for a goalie...and he won a cup....and he won a conn smythe.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 04:31 PM
Grumpy Humphrey

vCash: 50
Also he knocked Henrik Sedin on his ass

Grumpy Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 04:48 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

And got applauded for it even though any other goalie wouldve been penalized for it, likely. But I digress. . I say Hank gets a Vezina nod because the team finally gets him 40 wins.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 04:54 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
I feel pretty confident that Lundqvist will put together a very solid and consistent season next year.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 04:55 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Ryan Miller isn't elite...

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 04:59 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Ryan Miller isn't elite...
I beg to differ but I realize it's my opinion. You on the other hand seem so sure so I must be wrong.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 05:01 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Lundqvist gets 40 wins. The addition of brad and the maturation of the team will give Henry those 2-5 wins he has been lacking.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 05:47 PM
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!

Pavelec is my pick for a sleeper. Hes good and I think the Jets will be a respectable team this year fighting for a playoff spot all year long, not just the first half, surprising a lot of people.

MrAlmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 05:52 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlmost View Post
Pavelec is my pick for a sleeper. Hes good and I think the Jets will be a respectable team this year fighting for a playoff spot all year long, not just the first half, surprising a lot of people.
Pavs is good, but he always hits a wall. I don't know if it's the ATL defense or on him since I admittedly don't watch many games.

I always pick him up on waivers in fantasy, though.

Old
07-22-2011, 06:00 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

I don't really think Buffalo will be as good as some of you make them out to be this year.

I mentioned this in another thread but looking at their offense, it's good but it's really not great.

Vanek and Roy are very good players, as is Ennis. Pominville is always injured, Leino is a question mark.

As for their defense it clearly improved with Regher, but there are big question marks as to whether or not Ehrhoff was a product of being on a good team or not.

They will be really good in a couple of years, but as of right now there are still a lot of question marks and a far from spectacular offense imo.

With that said, if everything works out (i.e. Pominville staying healthy and Leino continuing his good play) then the possibility for them to be very good is very real. I'm not sold on them yet.

07-22-2011, 06:03 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
I don't really think Buffalo will be as good as some of you make them out to be this year.

I mentioned this in another thread but looking at their offense, it's good but it's really not great.

Vanek and Roy are very good players, as is Ennis. Pominville is always injured, Leino is a question mark.

As for their defense it clearly improved with Regher, but there are big question marks as to whether or not Ehrhoff was a product of being on a good team or not.

They will be really good in a couple of years, but as of right now there are still a lot of question marks and a far from spectacular offense imo.
Vanek, Roy, Stafford, Ennis and Leino if he wasn't a flash in the pan in Philly are all very good offensive contributors to a top 6. Tyler Myers and Railroad are very good, and even though I think Ehrhoff is very overrated he's a fine second pairing d-man who won't be playing with slouches on the PP.

I think the team is getting overrated a little but I do think they're a very good team if things click.

Old
07-22-2011, 06:05 PM
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Pavs is good, but he always hits a wall. I don't know if it's the ATL defense or on him since I admittedly don't watch many games.

I always pick him up on waivers in fantasy, though.
Thats true he does, but I find it to be a product of large workloads. I dont know their back-up situation, but if its good, or they get lucky with someone, that might help Pavelec a lot.

Funny you say that because so do I.

MrAlmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 06:06 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Vanek, Roy, Stafford, Ennis and Leino if he wasn't a flash in the pan in Philly are all very good offensive contributors to a top 6. Tyler Myers and Railroad are very good, and even though I think Ehrhoff is very overrated he's a fine second pairing d-man who won't be playing with slouches on the PP.

I think the team is getting overrated a little but I do think they're a very good team if things click.
Vanek, Roy, and Ennis are all very good pieces.

Stafford really blew up last year (contract year coincidence?) and Leino might have only been a product of having really good chemistry with his linemates.

Like I mentioned before, if everything clicks then I do think they have the potential to be very good offensively, but for right now there are still quite a few question marks.

Their defense is pretty solid defensively, but like I mentioned before is Ehrhoff just a product of a good team? Their 3rd pair isn't overwhelming either.

They do have some really good pieces in the minors and will be a very good team in a couple of years, as of right now I'm still not sold on them.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 06:28 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Some ranks I don't agree with, but they can range.

One thing, Smith isn't better than Backstrom or Kipper. No way, no how.

Just noticed "at the end of the year" part.

Either way Smith sucks ass.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 06:30 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Tim Thomas HAS To be ranked #1 based on last season. I still think hes supremely overrated, but you cant deny the guy has had one of the greatest statistical seasons EVER for a goalie...and he won a cup....and he won a conn smythe.
He should of been nominated as an MVP.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 07:50 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
I beg to differ but I realize it's my opinion. You on the other hand seem so sure so I must be wrong.
I just phrased it that way because I've already debunked the "Ryan Miller is elite" stuff recently in another thread on this board. I'll just repost it verbatim:

He had one amazing year and hasn't duplicated it since or even come close to it before.

I said people should just take a look at his career numbers, but I guess I'll just post them to make it easier starting from his first season playing more than 15 games.

GAA Sv%
2.60 .914
2.73 .911
2.64 .906
2.53 .918
2.59 .916

That's excluding his olympics year where he put up a 2.22 and a .929. Take this year out and his career numbers aren't impressive.

When you talk about goalies and how good they are it's important to really scrutinize their play and really be stingy with praise. Scrubs get hot and put up great numbers for periods of time, but then go back to being scrubs. Others are elite each year like our guy. Others are mediocre, then play above their level, then go back to being mediocre. This last type is Ryan Miller.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 09:07 PM
Canjo
AVA

Decent list but I say backstrom and mason will both be higher

Canjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 09:15 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Don't think Luongo should be behind Vokoun. At least not yet.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 09:23 PM
stasiewich
Monahan 4 president

pretty good list... except kipprusoff is way way way to low ranked, he is in the top 10-15 NHL goalies i would say

stasiewich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 09:42 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKing View Post
16. Brodeur: I try to put my bias aside, I honestly think his age and that defense really puts him safely outside the top 10

It was apparent that his age caught up with him in the second of the season

This is what Brodeur did in the second half:

17-7-2 - 1.81 GAA - .923 SV% - 3 shutouts

16th???????? LOL You is funny

JimEIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 09:58 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Hiller, Crawford, Howard, I am not sold on for top 15.

Hiller I am not sold on for top anything.

07-22-2011, 10:59 PM
Sabres1026*

Quote:

With that said, if everything works out (i.e. Pominville staying healthy and Leino continuing his good play) then the possibility for them to be very good is very real. I'm not sold on them yet.
You realize Pominville played more consecutive games then anyone in the league before the dirty hit last year right?

Btw good list.

Sabres1026* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 11:01 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres1026 View Post
You realize Pominville played more consecutive games then anyone in the league before the dirty hit last year right?

Btw good list.
That doesn't change the fact that there are still a lot of question marks on the team.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 11:35 PM
Sabres1026*

Quote:
That doesn't change the fact that there are still a lot of question marks on the team.
Was 9th in the league while our best center played 35 games. Connolly is an addition by subtraction. Switched Regehr and Ehrhoff with Butler and Montador so Miller for the first time in his career except the Olympics has good d men.

Sabres1026* is offline   Reply With Quote