HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Little Things Fail to Add Up For Flyers Offseason

Old
07-22-2011, 12:48 PM
DUHockey9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Meltzer is pretty bad whenever he talks about stats in anything more than a shallow way. His blog this morning was wrong, and that critique us dead on.
I just read it. I fail to see how it's "wrong". It's fairly vague overall, so I don't really see what could be wrong exactly. Essentially he said, there is something to be said for quality of shots. Is that so wrong?

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 12:51 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I just read it. I fail to see how it's "wrong". It's fairly vague overall, so I don't really see what could be wrong exactly. Essentially he said, there is something to be said for quality of shots. Is that so wrong?

That statement is absolutely correct, just ask all the back ups that have looked like Vezina winners against us over the last couple of years.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 12:56 PM
Jester

Quote:
1. His statements about context (as noted in the blog response) sniff of someone that should just avoid talking about stats in any meaningful way.

2. His whole commentary on shots v. quality shots is right in line with so much here: it fails to grasp that statistical distribution assumes noise, and that stuff washes out over time.

It reads exactly like the stuff that was being written 10 years ago about advanced stats in baseball.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 01:10 PM
Jester

So, just read through the twitter argument. What's funny about is that an advanced stat backs up Meltzer's argument that Zherdev wasn't that great despite some rather high individual numbers.

Zherdev's GFON/60 was 2.40, 9th on the team. His G/60 was 1.29, which was 3rd on the team. Essentially those numbers in tandem suggest that Z wasn't a team player and was hurting his lines production, even if he was scoring a lot of goals.

BTW, Briere (1st in G/60), Carter (2nd), and Hartnell (4th) finished 1, 2, 3 in GFON/60.

Old
07-22-2011, 01:57 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
So, just read through the twitter argument. What's funny about is that an advanced stat backs up Meltzer's argument that Zherdev wasn't that great despite some rather high individual numbers.

Zherdev's GFON/60 was 2.40, 9th on the team. His G/60 was 1.29, which was 3rd on the team. Essentially those numbers in tandem suggest that Z wasn't a team player and was hurting his lines production, even if he was scoring a lot of goals.
Meltzer wasn't getting the numbers argument that worked in favor for his ice time.

Detweiler wasn't getting that Zherdev was being benched and "mis-used" for reasons that weren't going to show up in anything he was going to present, such as this one.

Last edited by GKJ: 07-22-2011 at 02:25 PM.
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 02:16 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
1. His statements about context (as noted in the blog response) sniff of someone that should just avoid talking about stats in any meaningful way.

2. His whole commentary on shots v. quality shots is right in line with so much here: it fails to grasp that statistical distribution assumes noise, and that stuff washes out over time.

It reads exactly like the stuff that was being written 10 years ago about advanced stats in baseball.
Would you say one full season is a large enough sample for your #2 to hold true? Or true enough to meaningfully use advanced statistics?

I can't say I'm one that uses them, so I really don't know.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 02:23 PM
tuckrr

Lol I was hoping jester read meltzer today...

Meltzer is on of (if not the #1) best hockey writers on the internet these days. I've thoroughly enjoyed every article hes written.

Honestly none come to mind in which I think he's wrong ...and when he is its due to bad information, NOT bad insight.

+1 for meltzer

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 02:47 PM
Prongo
Beer

I just read Melzers blog and i agree with almost all he has said. Meltzer pretty much outlined the things i would always argue with that Detwieler fella. actually people have tried to argue this with that man plenty of times but he comes off as arrogant and cocky like he knows everything he is talking about just relative to the stats. I am a huge stat guy but i believe this is so much more to sports when debating a players value to the team other than Corsi and other new stat formulas. and also Meltzer has been one of the best Bloggers recently because of his insight. I actually enjoyed Broadstreethockey before all of these trades happened with the flyers now i dont even bother reading the website becuase of Detwieler or whatever

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 03:43 PM
Jester

Quote:
Would you say one full season is a large enough sample for your #2 to hold true? Or true enough to meaningfully use advanced statistics?

I can't say I'm one that uses them, so I really don't know.
You always want more data.

And it is absolutely a fact that teams have entire seasons where the breaks go their way.

Right now I invite everyone to bask in the hilarity that is the Pirates record vs. how good they actually are. But, and this is an important point, for any one game the only stat that matters is the scoreboard; for any one season, the only stat that matters is your record.

Neither, on their own, are terribly useful for addressing future performance, which s what statistical analysis is actually useful for.

Old
07-22-2011, 03:46 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
Lol I was hoping jester read meltzer today...

Meltzer is on of (if not the #1) best hockey writers on the internet these days. I've thoroughly enjoyed every article hes written.

Honestly none come to mind in which I think he's wrong ...and when he is its due to bad information, NOT bad insight.

+1 for meltzer
So, basically you are a Meltzer fanboy?

Meltzer is a very good writer because he is very objective in both his tone and his analysis. That does not mean everything he writes should be viewed as gospel. Whenever he begins to get into statistical arguments beyond the surface level, it's pretty clear he is in over his head. The arguments in that blog would get trashed if he trotted them out in a stat class...

Old
07-22-2011, 04:10 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
So, basically you are a Meltzer fanboy?

Meltzer is a very good writer because he is very objective in both his tone and his analysis. That does not mean everything he writes should be viewed as gospel. Whenever he begins to get into statistical arguments beyond the surface level, it's pretty clear he is in over his head. The arguments in that blog would get trashed if he trotted them out in a stat class...
Do you honestly have to make an argument about everything? Is this some broads thing?

Meltzer is 100% right. Esentially, stats don't tell the whole story. In sports there is only one stat that counts. The score, end of.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 11:05 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Do you honestly have to make an argument about everything? Is this some broads thing?

Meltzer is 100% right. Esentially, stats don't tell the whole story. In sports there is only one stat that counts. The score, end of.
Meltzer's argument in that write up is terrible.

Old
07-23-2011, 06:11 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Why don't you write up a piece an tell him why he's wrong then. Enlighten him With your knowledge in stats

Old
07-23-2011, 10:27 AM
Jester

Quote:
Why don't you write up a piece an tell him why he's wrong then. Enlighten him With your knowledge in stats
Someone already has. But the real problem (similar to your statement above) is a baseline ignorance of stat analysis that makes it a waste of time. As noted above, Meltzer's lack of appreciation for advanced metrics makes impossible for him to converse about them in any meaningful way. Advanced stats support an argument he us making, but his ignorance means he doesn't have the empirical evidence to support his subjective opinion that is "contextualized".

Zherdev scored a lot of goals last year, but the TEAM didn't while he was on the ice.

Old
07-23-2011, 02:23 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I'm way to stupid and drunk to understand even half of what you wrote.

I like turtles

Old
07-23-2011, 02:28 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
I'm way to stupid and drunk to understand even half of what you wrote.

I like turtles

07-23-2011, 02:31 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Holy ****. Kill it! kill it with fire!

Old
07-24-2011, 03:02 AM
Slowbro

i actually agree with Jester..

meltzer is GREAT writer but his content is shallow and quite frankly not very insightful and actually quite boring to read.

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote