HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

DirectTV/Cablevision question

Old
07-21-2011, 01:30 PM
Brunomics

vCash: 500
DirectTV/Cablevision question

I have a question for all you tv watchers out there. In about a month I'm moving back into the Town of Crookhaven area so I have to give up fios(actually pretty upset over this lol), and I was wondering what would be the better option between Direct TV and Cablevision. I really don't want to give those crooks at Cablevision money but I don't know really what the pros and cons are of direct tv. Can anyone give me a hand? Do they have the Isles in HD? How is the channel lineup? Billing? Ect.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 01:49 PM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
I have a question for all you tv watchers out there. In about a month I'm moving back into the Town of Crookhaven area so I have to give up fios(actually pretty upset over this lol), and I was wondering what would be the better option between Direct TV and Cablevision. I really don't want to give those crooks at Cablevision money but I don't know really what the pros and cons are of direct tv. Can anyone give me a hand? Do they have the Isles in HD? How is the channel lineup? Billing? Ect.
I don't know anything about Direct TV, but Cablevision has the Isles in HD, but we moved to FIOS after our bill went up to about $200!
However, I think Cablevision will get cheaper in time for the season, which means we will switch back to Cablevision (FIOS does not have MSG in HD)

M Moulson Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 01:50 PM
OlTimeHockey

Love DTV, much. much better value than cable and if I have an issue, I complain and immediately am given comps. I don't pay for local channels and the SCF's were on 4, so I got locals for free for two weeks EVEN THOUGH IT WAS AGAINST THEIR POLICY, and called and canceled them afterwards for no extra charge.

I would never go back.

And I don't get the HD, I just use the S-video cable and have an amazing picture quality. I'd only go full HD (since most channels are already beamed in HD) if I got a huge set as there's little need.

And DTV partners with my phone company for internet at a great price so I can bundle all three on the cheap.

The down side is always snow and hurricanes. But anyone with any mechanical skills and a wrench can install a satellite and set it up.

Add: DTV has NHL Network when you get Center Ice and VS. I don't know if cable had any issues with both.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 07:15 PM
Brunomics

I just thought I'd share my recent story with Cablevision. I figured that since I'm going to Bellport/Patchogue from Ronk I might as well bite the bullet and get the triple play especially since I received an offer in the mail for the triple play family package at 79 dollars a month I'll just get it. I called them up a little while ago and told them I was interested in the package and they asked me where I am living and who my previous provider was ect. Then they flat out denied me that price point even though I had an offer with that price in my hand and nothing in the fine print stated that it was based on location. When I told them I was no longer interested I was asked why I had a vendetta against cablevision and then he proceeded with the hard sell. I ended up getting frustrated and even asked him why cablevision discriminates against people based on location and he wouldn't give me an answer because he had none. Just shows the bs that goes on there.

Old
07-21-2011, 07:28 PM
nyisles

Send a message via ICQ to nyisles Send a message via AIM to nyisles
I just got Cablevision's "ultimate triple play" for $100/mo, probably would have gone with Verizon but they still don't have the Isles in HD and that's one of the few things I watch regularly. Dolan's little ploy roped me in

Hopefully FIOS will have the local teams in HD once my triple play discount runs out next June since Cablevision will be charging like $180/mo and the FIOS package I want is under $100, even with no contract and non-promo pricing.

07-21-2011, 10:12 PM
michaels0324

Direct TV is the best I wouldn't want to have anything else. They HAVE MSG & MSG+ in HD but not MSG+2 in HD. Also I don't know if it matters to you but if you sign up now then you get the NFL Sunday ticket for free.

michaels0324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 10:13 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
DirecTV is probably your best option -- reasonable rates, good quality. Only issue is the TV can go out when weather is bad.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 12:25 AM
Law

Send a message via AIM to Law
DirecTV devotee, would never go back to cable. I'm of course in a bit of a different situation as I need something to get all my NY sports teams, but even if I moved back to NY, I'd still keep the dish. Plus, if you're interested in any of the sports packages, they blow cable away in terms of games available in HD (usually both feeds for every sport).

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 12:57 AM
OlTimeHockey

Every dollar spent on cable - $.96 goes to the Rangers owner; the remainder goes towards clubbing baby seals.

Don't disrespect nature.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 01:03 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
DirecTV devotee, would never go back to cable. I'm of course in a bit of a different situation as I need something to get all my NY sports teams, but even if I moved back to NY, I'd still keep the dish. Plus, if you're interested in any of the sports packages, they blow cable away in terms of games available in HD (usually both feeds for every sport).
How does DirectTV hold up in the weather down there? I had Dish Network when I first moved to Tampa and it sucked in the weather. I have clear skies all around me. Might be looking to move from Cable although Brighthouse has been good to me.

07-22-2011, 01:38 PM
Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
How does DirectTV hold up in the weather down there? I had Dish Network when I first moved to Tampa and it sucked in the weather. I have clear skies all around me. Might be looking to move from Cable although Brighthouse has been good to me.
Quite well for the most part. I have it firmly secured to an outside wall, wouldn't recommend those tripods or homemade posts. I lose the signal once in awhile in a really bad rainstorm, but even then, it's typically only for a few minutes.

Even better was a few years when I was living in a high rise that had DTV as their provider. Didn't really have to worry with the large dish up on the roof of that place.

Old
07-22-2011, 01:46 PM
Brunomics

do you get your local nbc, fox, cbs, ect., with direct tv? I'm stuck getting internet through cablevision because that's all my apartment is wired for but if I can at least get direct tv I'll end up a happy guy.

Old
07-22-2011, 02:02 PM
Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
do you get your local nbc, fox, cbs, ect., with direct tv? I'm stuck getting internet through cablevision because that's all my apartment is wired for but if I can at least get direct tv I'll end up a happy guy.
Yes. And if your locals aren't available for some reason (a few smaller markets), they give you access to the LA or NY feeds.

Old
07-22-2011, 06:08 PM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
DTV goes out only briefly during one of those really bad storms, and even though it's not that bad. I think it's worth it, but sadly the apartment I moved you're forced into Brighthouse, which really isn't that bad, I just liked DTV a little more.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 06:22 PM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

What is FIOS' non-promo pricing? I never can find info on that. I have the Cablevision Triple Play (I like to think my bill helps pays the Isles' contract) and I'm pretty happy with it (since I have 8 cable boxes, six HD, one DVR, internet and phone.) Whenever there's a problem, their phone tech support is solid and they come by quickly if needed.

If there's one thing I'd miss more than anything it's Optimum on the iPad. That thing is awesome.

DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote