HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

What would have happened if...

Old
07-21-2011, 04:13 PM
Wee Baby Seamus
I got your back

vCash: 500
What would have happened if...

...either the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim or the Florida Panthers had taken Dominik Hasek in the 1993 Expansion Draft. How drastically would that have changed their franchise's histories? Imagine a Mighty Ducks team with a core of Kariya, Selanne, and Hasek. Or, with Hasek, would the Panthers have won the 1996 Stanley Cup?

Wee Baby Seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 04:29 PM
JackFr

Well, the Panthers'd be a laughing stock for picking him over Vansbiesbrouck, so he might not have played as well as he did.

As for the cup, I don't know what you're smoking if you think that the Panthers' problem was goaltending.

JackFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Wee Baby Seamus
I got your back

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFr View Post
Well, the Panthers'd be a laughing stock for picking him over Vansbiesbrouck, so he might not have played as well as he did.

As for the cup, I don't know what you're smoking if you think that the Panthers' problem was goaltending.
I didn't think that, I'm saying that he may have put them over the edge. Vanbiesbrouck was great during that playoff run, but could Hasek have actually won it all for them?

Old
07-21-2011, 08:37 PM
Normand Lacombe

I know Hasek wasn't yet an elite goalie in 1993, but I never knew he was available in the expansion draft. If Hasek was picked by either team, he probably would have been dealt minutes later for some established players and draft picks.

Normand Lacombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 08:41 PM
Wee Baby Seamus
I got your back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normand Lacombe View Post
I know Hasek wasn't yet an elite goalie in 1993, but I never knew he was available in the expansion draft. If Hasek was picked by either team, he probably would have been dealt minutes later for some established players and draft picks.
I'm actually amazed no one took him. He was on the all-rookie team two years prior.

Old
07-21-2011, 08:46 PM
Normand Lacombe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomFr96 View Post
I didn't think that, I'm saying that he may have put them over the edge. Vanbiesbrouck was great during that playoff run, but could Hasek have actually won it all for them?
I doubt Hasek would have. He maybe extends the series by one or two games. The Panthers didn't have the goal scorers like Colorado did, not to mention Roy was on a mission that year. Colorado was simply loaded in 1996.

Normand Lacombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 09:45 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normand Lacombe View Post
I doubt Hasek would have. He maybe extends the series by one or two games. The Panthers didn't have the goal scorers like Colorado did, not to mention Roy was on a mission that year. Colorado was simply loaded in 1996.
Seriousuly. Vanbiesbrouck was amazing in the 1996 playoffs. I really don't think Hasek could have been all that much better, certainly not better enough to turn getting swept into a victory. Especially since he'd have to severely outplay Patrick Roy for his team to have a shot.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 10:09 PM
Wee Baby Seamus
I got your back

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Seriousuly. Vanbiesbrouck was amazing in the 1996 playoffs. I really don't think Hasek could have been all that much better, certainly not better enough to turn getting swept into a victory. Especially since he'd have to severely outplay Patrick Roy for his team to have a shot.
So what about if the Ducks took him?

Old
07-21-2011, 10:47 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomFr96 View Post
So what about if the Ducks took him?
If they took Hasek and still had Selanne and Kariya, I can't help but think they'd be a regular playoff team that occasionally made the conference finals. Basically a step up from what they were - a team that usually fought for the playoffs, but more often than not missed. I still don't think they'd have the defense or depth to win the Cup

Oh and don't get me wrong, Hasek > Vanbiesbrouck long term. Hell, Florida probably would have been a perennial low playoff seed (like Buffalo was), rather than a team that usually missed it in the mid-late 90s. But I don't think he could have been much better than Vanbiesbrouck was in the short time span of the 1996 playoffs.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 11:02 PM
Wee Baby Seamus
I got your back

Quote:
If they took Hasek and still had Selanne and Kariya, I can't help but think they'd be a regular playoff team that occasionally made the conference finals. Basically a step up from what they were - a team that usually fought for the playoffs, but more often than not missed. I still don't think they'd have the defense or depth to win the Cup.
I have to agree on that. Selanne, Kariya, and Hasek would carry that club. They would probably be like a perennial 4-5 seed, and a playoff contender. That defense, at least in 95-96, was truly terrible though. That would be the team's demise.

Old
07-22-2011, 12:56 AM
MarkusNaslund19

Quote:
To add to your point, 95-96 was one of Hasek's worst years during his otherworldly stretch of the mid-nineties until early 00s.

MarkusNaslund19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 12:57 AM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFr View Post
... Yeah, I'd have to say that from 93-94 to 95-96, those three seasons (or two and a shortened season) that Vanbiesbrouck was the second-best goalie in the NHL - better than everyone else but Hasek.

And Guy Hebert, who the Ducks picked, was excellent as well. He was probably fourth best in the NHL during that three season span, behind Hasek, Beezer, and Roy.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 08:58 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Another thing to consider is that Buffalo gave Hasek an environment where he could be successful, kind of like Boston for Tim Thomas right now. If you take that version of Hasek and drop him into Anaheim's roster, I'm not sure we're talking about him as an all-time great goalie anymore.

Florida, though, played some pretty good D back then and he might well have been a difference-maker in the direction of that franchise.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 09:03 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Hard to say, don't know how Hasek would have reacted to playing on an expansion team. I think though he could have made both teams consistent playoff teams but because of other holes on their rosters I don't think they would have won the Cup.

07-22-2011, 09:17 AM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Yeah, I'd have to say that from 93-94 to 95-96, those three seasons (or two and a shortened season) that Vanbiesbrouck was the second-best goalie in the NHL - better than everyone else but Hasek.

And Guy Hebert, who the Ducks picked, was excellent as well. He was probably fourth best in the NHL during that three season span, behind Hasek, Beezer, and Roy.
Nope.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_1994.html

http://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_1995.html

http://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_1996.html

RECsGuy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 01:43 PM
SealsFan

If Hasek wound up with the Ducks, I'd be posting his photo in the "What are you doing in that uniform?" thread here.

SealsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 06:50 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

... I don't know how showing me the league standings somehow disproves my point? But hey, have a good time.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 07:11 PM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECsGuy View Post
Nope.
Care to elaborate? Hebert was fantastic over that time period (and I never felt that the Vezina voters did him justice).

Chalupa Batman is offline   Reply With Quote