HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Fujitsu to launch world smallest PC...Phone....thing. Is this the Blackberry killer?

Old
07-22-2011, 04:08 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 500
Fujitsu to launch world smallest PC...Phone....thing. Is this the Blackberry killer?

http://www.fujitsu.com/global/news/p...110721-01.html

It's not much as it's the first edition but Microsoft and Fujitsu are clearly going after Blackberry's market share with this phone/PC.

Quote:
Tokyo, July 21, 2011 — Fujitsu today announced that the new Windows® 7 F-07C mobile phone will be available in Japan from NTT DOCOMO, Inc. beginning July 23, 2011.

The F-07C mobile phone, featuring Windows® 7(1), is the world's smallest PC(2) that fits into the palm of the user's hand.

F-07C comes standard with a two-year license for Microsoft® Office Personal 2010-an essential business tool-and other basic PC functionality, in addition to convenient mobile phone features such as Osaifu-Keitai. By combining both PC and mobile phone functionality, F-07C opens the door to a range of new uses.

Last edited by Dolemite: 07-22-2011 at 04:15 AM.
Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 09:01 AM
neofury*

Will wait for the 2nd or 3rd generation one to come out, then I'll consider it.

Looks nice though.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 09:08 AM
Coldplay
Courage

The BlackBerry killers have already arrived. Their names are iOS and Android.

Besides, it seems RIM was more than capable of ruining the good thing it had going all by itself:

Quote:
The three-year roadmap for RIM products focused on refining the technology in phones had already been released, rather than looking at where to add major new componentry or trying to identify or even shape future trends. “One of the main reasons RIM missed the mark with the browser was because
they were always proud of how little data usage a user would use,” a former executive said. “There was no three-year plan at RIM.” RIM would be proud of the fact that someone would only use 1MB of data in a month in 2005, and as a result, there wasn’t ever any extensive R&D done within the browser space. Over time, that misstep affected BlackBerry tremendously as competing devices began to deliver desktop-like Web experiences. “Mike Lazaridis couldn’t imagine that consumers would be spending hours watching and streaming video to their devices, he couldn’t understand it,” the former exec continued. This is why we don’t see RIM excelling in spaces like camera technology, or displays — because the company never even attempted to anticipate the smartphone trends we’re seeing today. “RIM is a reactionary company.”

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 09:15 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
The BlackBerry killers have already arrived. Their names are iOS and Android.

Besides, it seems RIM was more than capable of ruining the good thing it had going all by itself:
Disagree. Androids are more in the iPhone vein as smartphones. Blackberry phones are/were portable PC's. That's why I think this will be the Blackberry killer. Sure Androids may surpass Blackberry phones in sales but the make up of the Android OS phones are different that Blackberry phones.

Last edited by Dolemite: 07-22-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old
07-22-2011, 04:24 PM
Osprey

That's awesome. I'm all over the idea, but this implementation is likely an oddity. I doubt that we'll see it over here. One clue is that it comes with the Japanese edition of Windows 7. Also, a clue that it wouldn't fly over here is the 2-hour battery life in Windows 7 mode. There's just no way that it could be a viable mobile device, much less a "Blackberry killer," in the NA market with such a battery life. Basically, it's a small PC that you need to plug into an outlet to use as a PC, somewhat defeating the purpose.

I think that what's interesting about this news is the possibility of what's ahead. Such a phone/PC will benefit hugely from Windows 8 running on ARM processors. That combination should give such a device significantly better battery life, since ARM processors can run on much lower power and Windows 8 will be better optimized for such low-power devices. I'll be very, very interested in such a phone when they have those two things.

In fact, I'd really like to see Microsoft just ditch their CE-based Windows Phone 7 and put their resources into Windows 8 on phones with a WP7-like overlay. Come to think of it, considering that that's exactly what the Windows 8 tablets were demonstrated as recently, perhaps Microsoft really is planning the same things for phones. Fujitsu may've just sort of jumped the gun with this "concept" by trying to make it work with Windows 7 in the meantime.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 04:53 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
That's awesome. I'm all over the idea, but this implementation is likely an oddity. I doubt that we'll see it over here. One clue is that it comes with the Japanese edition of Windows 7. Also, a clue that it wouldn't fly over here is the 2-hour battery life in Windows 7 mode. There's just no way that it could be a viable mobile device, much less a "Blackberry killer," in the NA market with such a battery life. Basically, it's a small PC that you need to plug into an outlet to use as a PC, somewhat defeating the purpose.
That's how long my Blackberry lasts when Ubersocial is on and updating frequently.

Old
07-22-2011, 06:32 PM
MikeyMike01
U.S.S. Wang

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01 Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01
Blackberry is already dead.

MikeyMike01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 06:53 PM
SilverSeven

Blackberries died a long time ago. And Androids are FAAAAR more like a portable PC than a Blackberry.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 07:03 PM
OnlyTheBrave*

How many devices are supposed to be the "Blackberry Killer" the last what, 10yrs?

How many have actually lived up to that hype?

Yeah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
Blackberries died a long time ago. And Androids are FAAAAR more like a portable PC than a Blackberry.
What's this I hear about Apple suing Android for something that might kill Android?

Apple markets itself well and Android does a decent job of that too but Blackberry is the one thing that people still will never stop using. I see people using old versions of it and they can get new ones but don't want the new one because they are so loyal to the one they have. I also see Blackberry phones in tv shows and movies a lot more and it's sad that RIM can't use that to their advantage.

I was watching White Collar (the last most recent episode) and I noticed that Neal (Matt Bomer) uses the Torch. It's a very popular show, USE that to your advantage, RIM. You hear people talk about features of the new KIA or the Ford (especially on that show) so why not?

Have him come up to Mozzie who uses an Iphone and be like "I don't know how you use this garbage, Mozzie, *whips out his Torch* this is class."

OnlyTheBrave* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 08:10 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyTheBrave View Post
How many devices are supposed to be the "Blackberry Killer" the last what, 10yrs?

How many have actually lived up to that hype?

Yeah...
You are aware that Blackberry has fallen behind both iOS and Android...right? Many have lived up to that hype.

Quote:
What's this I hear about Apple suing Android for something that might kill Android?
I have no idea. Apple is suing Android, but it certainly wont kill it. Heres a handy little graphic to show you how lawsuits work in the mobile world.

Quote:
Apple markets itself well and Android does a decent job of that too but Blackberry is the one thing that people still will never stop using. I see people using old versions of it and they can get new ones but don't want the new one because they are so loyal to the one they have. I also see Blackberry phones in tv shows and movies a lot more and it's sad that RIM can't use that to their advantage.

I was watching White Collar (the last most recent episode) and I noticed that Neal (Matt Bomer) uses the Torch. It's a very popular show, USE that to your advantage, RIM. You hear people talk about features of the new KIA or the Ford (especially on that show) so why not?

Have him come up to Mozzie who uses an Iphone and be like "I don't know how you use this garbage, Mozzie, *whips out his Torch* this is class."
You realize people pay to get their products in TV shows and movies...right? Its not always the case, but it is a lot more than you might think. BB IS doing something about that if you are seeing them on TV shows.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote