HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Predators Prospect Updates - Pt II

Old
06-12-2011, 01:32 PM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
that's backwards ... but it's okay ... July 2nd is U2 & the next night Motley Crue, Poison & NYDolls at The Bridge
I swore U2 was on my Mother's b-day, but I guess I'm wrong. Regardless, enough incentive to make a trip to Nashville nonetheless!

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 10:01 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I know it has nothing to do with anything, but the concert talk reminded me that Mudhoney is playing on Sept 26th and Opeth is playing the next night. I supposed some Catbird folks can make a week out of it. Come up for some grunge rock and melodic death metal, respectively, and stay for opening night

ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 10:02 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Hopefully the team doesn't make the cluster of fail that they did last season and not offer a numbered roster \not identify names on the practice jerseys. Trying to scout prospects is extremely frustrating when you have no idea who is who, outside of the obvious.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 10:04 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Hopefully the team doesn't make the cluster of fail that they did last season and not offer a numbered roster \not identify names on the practice jerseys. Trying to scout prospects is extremely frustrating when you have no idea who is who, outside of the obvious.
a****ingmen

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 02:41 PM
thomas magnum

So what's the word on Taylor Beck? It seems like he is the most talented forward prospect in the pipeline from what I've read. Is that how you guys see it? How far away do you think he is away from the NHL 1 year? 2? What do you see him as? 2nd or 3rd line LW?

thomas magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 06:54 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas magnum View Post
So what's the word on Taylor Beck? It seems like he is the most talented forward prospect in the pipeline from what I've read. Is that how you guys see it? How far away do you think he is away from the NHL 1 year? 2? What do you see him as? 2nd or 3rd line LW?
I would like to add Watson to this question as well. Unfortunately, I only have HF's opinion of these guys right now.

I would really LOVE for the AHL club to move here.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 07:53 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
I would like to add Watson to this question as well. Unfortunately, I only have HF's opinion of these guys right now.

I would really LOVE for the AHL club to move here.
Watson is more of a two-way guy...think Jordan Staal. He has some decent offensive skills and great defensive ability.

Beck isn't as "safe," but I think he's got a higher ceiling in terms of goal scoring. Skating isn't great and there's been some questions about work ethic, but he's big and knows how to score goals. Coach Trotz calls him a "Doan-type" player.

Old
06-24-2011, 08:07 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Watson is more of a two-way guy...think Jordan Staal. He has some decent offensive skills and great defensive ability.

Beck isn't as "safe," but I think he's got a higher ceiling in terms of goal scoring. Skating isn't great and there's been some questions about work ethic, but he's big and knows how to score goals. Coach Trotz calls him a "Doan-type" player.
It looks like Watson needs time in the minors, but do you see Beck possibly cracking the lineup this year? Thanks for the help

Old
06-24-2011, 08:15 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
It looks like Watson needs time in the minors, but do you see Beck possibly cracking the lineup this year? Thanks for the help
Due to his birthdate, Watson will be heading back to juniors this season again. Beck will be in Milwaukee to start and could potentially position himself for a callup by the end of the season if he can translate his goal scoring to the minors.

Watson is a power forward prospect that's really still growing into his body. He's solid defensively and has a good shot, but he's still harnessing his offensive talent and has struggled with consistency in that area the past couple years for a variety of reasons, but when he's hot...he's HOT. Watson moved from center to right wing last season.

Old
06-24-2011, 12:51 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
They actually had a hard time sending Beck back to the juniors this year. Same was said about Ellis. In the long run it's better that they had the time to develop their games more.

From what I've seen of Beck in camp, he definitely stands out among our prospects. Always shooting, finding the open spots, hitting the back of the net. While it's not a game the guys that have stood out usually are the ones that make it. Ellis has always stood out and took a leadership role early on. He was always talking out on the ice. Other guys have done the same thing in years past.

I have a funny feeling Beck will be one of those uncovered gems.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 05:54 AM
thomas magnum

Thanks for the info on these guys!

thomas magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 10:42 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Thanks for the info on these guys!
Beck scored a goal for the Admirals in the playoffs. He looked good. I guess 1.5 to 2 years to get to the NHL. The skating needs work.

Watson didn't use his size well in the AHL playoffs. It will help his game when he learns to do so. I think he is 2 to 3 years from the NHL as a power forward.

Latta looked okay. I think playing center on a new team is more difficult.

On the other end of the spectrum is Foss. Couldn't defend, could pass (except to the other team), couldn't skate.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:19 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

2010 7th rd selection David Elsner will come to NA this season, having been selected in the import draft by Sault Ste Marie of the OHL.

I think this will be a good move for him in finding his offensive game.

Old
07-13-2011, 03:42 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

The latest Hockey Prospectus Organizational Rankings has Nashville at #3

Quote:
3. Nashville Predators: The Predators had two of the leading candidates for breakout prospect of the year in Mattias Ekholm and Craig Smith—the former has rapidly turned into one of the better defensive prospects in all of hockey. The system remains full of depth and upside at both skater positions and the Preds staff continues to find ways to keep talent flowing through their organization.
http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1012

Old
07-13-2011, 09:47 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
The latest Hockey Prospectus Organizational Rankings has Nashville at #3
http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1012
And, of course, joining us in the top five are Detroit and Chicago. The Central keeps getting stronger as does the Western Conference.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:05 PM
cleangene

Anybody who attended the prospects camp recently, can you please give me your opinion about this Craig Smith kid. Poile and Trotz both just RAVED about him during their SOTU presentations; Poile went as far as saying that he should think about going back to school, as he might have a VERY GOOD chance at making the PREDS roster THIS UPCOMING SEASON!!!!!

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:05 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I thought it was interesting that Poile basically said at he SOTU that they're still trying to talk Craig smith out of going back to school, feeling he could make our team this year.

Old
07-13-2011, 10:21 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
I thought it was interesting that Poile basically said at he SOTU that they're still trying to talk Craig smith out of going back to school, feeling he could make our team this year.
Agreed. It is particularly interesting since they'd essentially be guaranteeing him that he'd skip Milwaukee and play in Nashville.

Cleangene, Craig Smith was a man amongst boys at camp. He is a developing power forward with skill and speed. As a freshman at Wisconsin he was a playmaker for Hobey Baker winner Blake Geoffrion and was among the freshman scoring leaders in the NCAA. Last year as a sophomore he was named as an alternate captain for the Badgers and filled the hole Geoffrion left turning into a goal scoring forward. Smith lead the Badgers in goals and points last year and has been named a team co-captain as a junior.

After the season ended last year, Smith went to Germany to play for Team USA where he played on the top line in the World Championships alongside Derek Stepan (NYR) and Blake Wheeler (WPG) and was named as one of the top three players for Team USA leading the team in scoring for most of the event.

Craig Smith is a legitimate top-6 forward. Compare his stats to Joe Pavelski from San Jose and they're eerily similiar.

On another note, if you're unaware of Gabriel Bourque who was mentioned by both Poile and Trotz tonight...think of Brad Marchand from the Bruins and you'll have Gabriel Bourque...

Old
07-13-2011, 10:35 PM
cleangene

Thanks so much, SL. Do you think he's got that strong of a shot at being on the opening night roster when the puck drops in columbus???? Now that you mentioned him, I remember being almost as stunned about the way they were talking about Bourque as Smith; I guess we really DIDN'T need to hold on to Wardo and Goc as much as I thought. What do I know, I am JUST a fan.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:53 PM
WartracePred

I think touting the future, the youth of the players in the system, and thus Craig Smith, was all the front office had to excite the fan base this year. No new captain and no big signing (Lombardi) left management with little else to get us pumped for next season. Compare last years SOTU with this years and tell me things look brighter this year.

Weber still hasn't signed. Goc and Ward, two true Predator-esque players, are gone. The veteran locker-room presence of Sully and Dumont is gone.

So Poile and Trotz say we have the best mascot in the league, we have shiny new jerseys, and we have a very young roster with lots of upside. I ain't drinking the kool-aid till Weber AND some offensive firepower is signed.

So don't think Smith is going to be here this year and step in to a top six role. If Smith leaves college to play in Nashville, it goes against the Predator way. I believe it was much ado about nothing.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 07:41 PM
adsfan

Smith is a scoring machine. He had 19 or 20 goals for the Badgers last season. He does remind me of former Badger Joe Pavelski. I would take him on my team, if I had one!

Old
07-22-2011, 10:02 AM
token grinder

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Brian...ects/153/37214

Brian Huddle from Hockeybuzz gives his 10 best nashville prospect report. He is spot on with alot of it. worth the read.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 01:41 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Wow he compared Austin Watson to Cal Clutterbuck and said Josi's potential is 2nd d pair. Man I disagree with him.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 08:14 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Wow he compared Austin Watson to Cal Clutterbuck and said Josi's potential is 2nd d pair. Man I disagree with him.
why? I could see why he comes to those conclusions.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 11:34 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
why? I could see why he comes to those conclusions.
Me too. Josi will rock in the NHL some day.