HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Clément Jodoin named Head Coach of Hamilton

Old
07-22-2011, 03:02 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
According to HockeyDB, he used to be Asst. Coach here in Montreal under Vigneault and Therrien.

(wasn't paying as much to hockey at that moment)
Exactly my situation. At that time, I was just a fan of the team. Not a hardcore one yet!

Granted that period was a weak time in our history, maybe his experience with our youngsters at that time can help... along with his Q pedigree.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 03:08 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrrr View Post
Wasn't Groulx's stint in the AHL with Rochester pretty catastrophic ?
Groulx is an excellent coach. He always do wonders with The gatineau Olympiques, like leading them to the Finals this year against St-John.

He doesn't want to coach in the AHL anymore and doesn't want to be assistant coach at NHL level. He prefers to be the big boss (coach/GM) at Junior level, now.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 03:13 PM
Pedro McGuire*

God I hope this isn't the start of another era of coaches being hired because of someone they knew up top.

Pedro McGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 03:28 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Do you guys think that Pascale Vincent waited the habs decision to take his ?

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 03:28 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Tenorman View Post
God I hope this isn't the start of another era of coaches being hired because of someone they knew up top.
It's a pretty small world, actually. A lot of people know each other, one way or another. For having played together, in junior or at the pro level, for having been in the same Org for a while... I could go on.

Point is, I'd rather they hire someone they know, someone they trust, someone they have experience with to handle our prospects. PG and Martin are people that we should trust when it comes down to hockey decisions. They never try to go for the popular choice or the easy choice.

I'm not saying they're the best out there, but they're not Réjean Houle or Mike Milbury. To a certain extent, I'd even say they're not Burke, who I feel easily bites for a trade or a decision that would make him popular rather than make his team better.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 03:53 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I'm also fine with that hiring. Much better than a Vincent hiring who I believe is so overrated. A guy that made the comments he made after the Juniors lost, has made me rethink his quality as a coach but also as a communicator and a coach players would like to play for. We will see how he will improve, but Vincent was NOT amongst my candidates.

And another thing. ENOUGH with those "we have to prepare the after Martin era". First, you see this going and you believe Martin is ever forever. But even if he wasn't.....Yzerman didn't mind going to Montreal to get his coach...not sure why we would mind going after Boucher in due time....or Martin Raymond....or Benoit Groulx....or going with more experience with Vigneault or we never know.....Julien. Only to say that you don't have to pick within your own organization. This is, to me, an overrated concept. Yes, most likely the coach that would have been with the Dogs, if he continues his journey with the Habs, he will know some of those players....well who says that those players want to have him....

And yet, people can say whatever they want, and this is coming from the Q defender....you keep hearing how we should have given the job to somebody from the Q....how many teams is there in that league anyway? More than 1 right? How come the only guy you kept hearing about was Vincent? So it's not like we had tons of choices. If the Habs don't like Vincent's approach...well there's nothing else but a 60-year old Jodoin.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 04:00 PM
BigFatPapa

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Groulx is an excellent coach. He always do wonders with The gatineau Olympiques, like leading them to the Finals this year against St-John.

He doesn't want to coach in the AHL anymore and doesn't want to be assistant coach at NHL level. He prefers to be the big boss (coach/GM) at Junior level, now.
Wasn't being far from his family also one of the main reason he left Rochester? I seem to recall that, but I could be wrong.

BigFatPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 04:16 PM
Boulette Cannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatPapa View Post
Wasn't being far from his family also one of the main reason he left Rochester? I seem to recall that, but I could be wrong.
Don't forget that Alain Sear has always made great transactions to help his coaches...

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 05:59 PM
Classified

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFpineapple View Post
At least it's not Pascal Vincent.
After enduring him in Cape Breton with what should have been one of the best teams in the CHL, (and was one of during the regular season), I couldn't agree more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
And another thing. ENOUGH with those "we have to prepare the after Martin era". First, you see this going and you believe Martin is ever forever. But even if he wasn't.....Yzerman didn't mind going to Montreal to get his coach...not sure why we would mind going after Boucher in due time....or Martin Raymond....or Benoit Groulx....or going with more experience with Vigneault or we never know.....Julien. Only to say that you don't have to pick within your own organization. This is, to me, an overrated concept. Yes, most likely the coach that would have been with the Dogs, if he continues his journey with the Habs, he will know some of those players....well who says that those players want to have him....
After these playoffs i can hardly see Vingeault or Julien ever being contenders with the Habs again. Vingeault was handed a cup roster and managed to screw it up, I fail to see how he can ever get a NHL job after his time in Vancouver.

As for Julien, go ask the Bruins fans what they think of him, they certainly didn't win because of Juliens coaching. They wanted him by the neck after the first round.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 07-22-2011 at 07:10 PM. Reason: merged posts
Classified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 06:31 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
If Muller was the Habs' head coach, Kostitsyn and Latendresse would still be here, instead of being superstars elsewhere.

(thread derailed, you can thank me later)
OMG, I sure do hope my sarcasm radar isn't off on this one...

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 06:42 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
He's been around the block a lot...Can't beat Experience! No titles at any level, though...
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=2542

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 07:43 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classified View Post
After these playoffs i can hardly see Vingeault or Julien ever being contenders with the Habs again. Vingeault was handed a cup roster and managed to screw it up, I fail to see how he can ever get a NHL job after his time in Vancouver.

As for Julien, go ask the Bruins fans what they think of him, they certainly didn't win because of Juliens coaching. They wanted him by the neck after the first round.
People like it or not, Habs will always have a bilingual coach for their team. Which then reduces the list. I have no problem with Vigneault, some in here will tell you that Vigneault couldn't stop the puck for Luongo. He's not exactly my favorite....but a coach is a coach. Unless you're an exceptional, you are a middle of the pack coach for me who's hired for 3 to 5 years.

As far as Julien is concerned, he has his flaws. But he's incredibly underrated. I told the Bruins fans once he was hired by then that he would make their team a better one. Didn't go as far as to think they'll win the Cup with him, but I was sure he was THE coach for them. Surely, some will say he came to 1 goal to be fired....but the end result was that he wasn't. Is he going to keep his job there for 10 years....maybe not. Reason why I have him as a potential candidate down the road. But like it or not, he's a winner. In Jersey, he was a winner as well until Lou thought he could do a better job....and he didn't. And in Boston, he confirmed it.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 07-22-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 07:57 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
OMG, I sure do hope my sarcasm radar isn't off on this one...
I said I was going to derail that thread! It almost worked...

(Muller+Kostitsyn+Latendresse... HOW CAN IT FAIL?!)

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 08:41 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

In a way it's a ideal hire as Jodin won't be stollen by another team, the guy is old and is a career developper. I would have hired a developper that would have brought more grit to the dance though, to show our kids to have some fire.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 08:45 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
In a way it's a ideal hire as Jodin won't be stollen by another team, the guy is old and is a career developper. I would have hired a developper that would have brought more grit to the dance though, to show our kids to have some fire.
Gotta figure, he knows his place he doesn't expect to move up & he cares about what he is doing.

Old
07-22-2011, 08:47 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
Gotta figure, he knows his place he doesn't expect to move up & he cares about what he is doing.
Sure. And that's a big compliment.

Old
07-22-2011, 08:52 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Sure. And that's a big compliment.
Sometimes you need regular Joe's in the organization! That just get the job done.

Old
07-22-2011, 08:58 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
Sometimes you need regular Joe's in the organization! That just get the job done.
And I heard he cleans the jokestraps too!

Old
07-22-2011, 08:59 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Graham James-style?

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 09:02 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
And if the teams not performing, he sprinkles chilli powders in them.

Old
07-23-2011, 10:09 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Hopefully he plays Avtsin more.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 10:28 AM
dre

any rimouski fans out there?? What kind of systems does he like to run? Does he have any quirks?

dre is offline   Reply With Quote