HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 MLB / Montreal Expos Thread (June 2012 - A Rally for the Expos)

Old
07-08-2011, 12:07 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
If you stop at Yawkey way again, always stop at the Pub accross the street 2 hours before game ask for a pitcher & tip a few decent bucks 5 is good. The bar keeper will see your Expos caps/jerseys & trade the bars! ROW12 for your crap tix(ROW 12 George Wendt's old tix).

always! Shh it's a secret for Expos fans. LOL It's True!

Edit: There's only really about 100 real people reading this post anyway.

Of course this only works when your with your girl or Civil, doesn't for a Van of Habs fans getting out with ball bats. ;-)
haha, I'll have to keep it in mind for next time.

I always sit in the bleachers, though. It was my home at Olympic Stadium, and it's still my favourite place to watch a game.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:17 AM
Player 61
#Winning

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
haha, I'll have to keep it in mind for next time.

I always sit in the bleachers, though. It was my home at Olympic Stadium, and it's still my favourite place to watch a game.
It's Real... We all miss them everyday in summer.... No Doubt! But Baseball still lives... so we do also!

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:04 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Report on MLB in Montreal

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=371313

Quote:
The report said Montreal has everything needed to support a team, especially with a much stronger dollar in recent years. They are:

-- A team needs a population of at least 2.5 million to support a team and Montreal's metropolitan area has 3.8 million.

-- While Montreal ranks eighth among urban centres in Canada in disposable income, its people have "an appetite for entertainment" and enough money to attend games.

-- It has enough of a corporate presence. It has 98 of Canada's 800 largest companies, ranking third behind Toronto and Calgary.

However, the report points out that the economic playing field in baseball is "the least-level of the four major North American sports.

"The lack of a hard cap on player salaries and massive differences in revenue (including attendance, sale of broadcasting rights, merchandise and other income) among franchises make consistent winning very difficult for all but a handful of rich teams."

It said a new Montreal franchise would not be among the richest clubs so companies may be reluctant to invest. The team would also likely need a new stadium due to "the many problems of the Olympic Stadium as a baseball venue."
Would be awesome, but the report also indicates the unlikeliness for it to happen in the near future.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:40 PM
RingWraith

It was a nice article to read. The business practice of the MLB needs to change. But if it does, I have no doubt Montreal, and Vancouver for that matter, could support MLB teams. I get giddy at the thought of an expo city showdown between the two at brand new ball parks. One can dream.

RingWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 07:13 PM
mrCoffea*

they couldn't even support NBA basketball for the amount of time it took them to GET a team. Let a city with a history of Baseball get its team back, the "Johnny Come Lately's" can wait

Last edited by overlords: 07-08-2011 at 07:46 PM.
mrCoffea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 08:05 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Guys Dave Van Horne will be the 3rd Expo going to the Hall of Fame this weekend!

Montreal announcer for 32 years!

EL Presidente! EL Perfecto!

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2010/...-hall-of-fame/

Old
07-22-2011, 08:38 PM
DAChampion

Way back in the day there was a trade.

Bartolo Colon for Brandon Philipps, Grady Sizemore and Cliff Lee.

Holy crap, all three of those guys became all stars.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 08:48 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Way back in the day there was a trade.

Bartolo Colon for Brandon Philipps, Grady Sizemore and Cliff Lee.

Holy crap, all three of those guys became all stars.
No management, no owner, no prospects, no future. Thank Omar Minaya for that one, he was playing the Expos like an NBox game! They were trying to win the NL East now at that time. It was all bad! Personally I think MLB told them to disperse the prospects!

Old
07-22-2011, 08:55 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
No management, no owner, no prospects, no future. Thank Omar Minaya for that one, he was playing the Expos like an NBox game! They were trying to win the NL East now at that time. It was all bad! Personally I think MLB told them to disperse the prospects!
Indeed, bless Omar Minaya, I never had to deal with the Washington Nationals winning much of anything.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 08:59 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Indeed, bless Omar Minaya, I never had to deal with the Washington Nationals winning much of anything.
Well enjoy the 36 years that we worked on that team in DC, it's been blown up anyway. Zimmermann was an Expos pick though. Sorry to sound harsh, but damn it! that was our team.

Old
07-22-2011, 09:05 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
OT: Serious group looking to bring back MLB to Montreal

Per Rodger Brulotte on CKAC just now.

He was approached to be spokesperson for the project by people he didn't identify that he claims have the money and the will to bring baseball back the Montreal.

PKP?

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 09:09 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
I do thank Omar Minaya. He threw a hail mary to try to get the Expos in the playoffs and that very well could have saved the team. I'll never forget how excited I was during that brief window when we acquired Colon and Cliff Floyd. That and the Believer Fever four-game sweep of the Phillies in August 2003 are my best Expos memories.

The fact that the trade haunted Washington into the future only makes it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post

He was approached to be spokesperson for the project by people he didn't identify that he claims have the money and the will to bring baseball back the Montreal.

PKP?
I don't think there's any way we'll ever get a team back but I NEED to hear more about this if you're not making it up. I'd do anything to get baseball back in Montreal.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 09:19 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
I do thank Omar Minaya. He threw a hail mary to try to get the Expos in the playoffs and that very well could have saved the team. I'll never forget how excited I was during that brief window when we acquired Colon and Cliff Floyd. That and the Believer Fever four-game sweep of the Phillies in August 2003 are my best Expos memories.

The fact that the trade haunted Washington into the future only makes it better.

I don't think there's any way we'll ever get a team back but I NEED to hear more about this if you're not making it up. I'd do anything to get baseball back in Montreal.
I've been around here way too long to start making stuff up.

They are talking about it on CKAC right now. The show went from talking about Cunneyworth, Ladouceur, Vincent to talking about what the people could do to make it happen.

He says that there's money and a business plan in place. Now it's up to seeing if the people and businesses are interested in supporting MLB baseball in Montreal.

Last edited by Phil Parent: 07-22-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 09:24 PM
HabsByTheBay

To make it happen:

- A guy with money.

- A new stadium.

The National League would probably be easier to win in, but the Tampa Bay Rays would be amazing for Montreal. They'd be beyond perfect, ideal in fact, with the NY, Boston, Toronto rivalries.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 09:29 PM
Player 61
#Winning

A lot of people in the business are talking about it! I Guarantee it. It's all very preliminary, I think Montreal needs to get in AAA team again before we make our way to the BIG leagues, due to some other factors involved. Our City is growing slower than other Metro Centres in North America, Can we get a fledgling Tampa Team to Move North in the future? Maybe? But the City has to start by building Ballparks, lets face it MLB even AAA ball will not be played at the BIG OWE! That's for sure. Never say never, some things do take 20 years! AAA ball is no joke & that should be rolling by now! It's our game also! For Sure!

History deserves better!

Old
07-22-2011, 09:34 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post

PKP?

Whoa what! That would be so amazing!

Too bad there's the whole Big-O problem. Need a stadium downtown imo.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 09:41 PM
Player 61
#Winning

I've always had the vision that a Temporary AAA ball club could play at a ballpark that would fit perfectly at Lafontaine Parc. In the City @ Amherst & Sherbrooke Sts. Metro/Subway connections, not far from De Lormier Downs where the Montreal Royals played.

A MLB Park has to be downtown or near the Port!

Old
07-22-2011, 10:10 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Baseball can definitely work in Montreal but a guaranteed new stadium is an absolute must and quite honestly it make take some time to get people to warm up to baseball again. Unfortunately we're not going to have the entire city demanding a team a la Winnipeg.

There's no question that Montreal has the best potential of any market in North America that does not currently have a team. I just don't think MLB would even consider it and this is a venture that requires a billionaire owner who's willing to lose some money for awhile to do something great for the city.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 10:13 PM
gee

Quote:
racist

gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 10:17 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
Baseball can definitely work in Montreal but a guaranteed new stadium is an absolute must and quite honestly it make take some time to get people to warm up to baseball again. Unfortunately we're not going to have the entire city demanding a team a la Winnipeg.

There's no question that Montreal has the best potential of any market in North America that does not currently have a team. I just don't think MLB would even consider it and this is a venture that requires a billionaire owner who's willing to lose some money for awhile to do something great for the city.
Stadiums are a must! Plain and simple & one day as long as some of the locals/Broadcasting/etc still care(We can get elected & we can work for the City, isn't that what happened in 1969?)! It can happen again!. Montreal has history, but out West Portland is growing & one day that Seattle-Portland string can & will become like the East Coast, so there is always competition. Vancouver Will one day be that Montreal on top of Seattle like we were/are over New York. Never take an eyeball off!

Old
07-22-2011, 10:20 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee View Post
racist

Typo of course it's X.

HA! HA! Winnipeg, were being serious on on Expos Thread!

Last edited by Player 61: 07-22-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old
07-22-2011, 11:02 PM
penaltykiller

Please guys , don't give me hope on seeing the Expos again. My heart jumped when i read Phil Parent's post !

My best moment with that team remains that sweep against Philadelphia to keep us in the wild card race in 2003.

Can you imagine playing all our games at home in the Big O that year instead of Puerto Rico ? All these long road trips... We were unbeatable in our real home.
I agree though that Minaya doesn't make the Colon deal if the future of the team is brighter so who knows if he does anything to improve the team near the deadline.

I can't believe i am now considering taking the bus to see the Jays in Toronto.

penaltykiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 11:11 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by penaltykiller View Post
Please guys , don't give me hope on seeing the Expos again. My heart jumped when i read Phil Parent's post !

My best moment with that team remains that sweep against Philadelphia to keep us in the wild card race in 2003.

Can you imagine playing all our games at home in the Big O that year instead of Puerto Rico ? All these long road trips... We were unbeatable in our real home.
I agree though that Minaya doesn't make the Colon deal if the future of the team is brighter so who knows if he does anything to improve the team near the deadline.

I can't believe i am now considering taking the bus to see the Jays in Toronto.
Hope! Starts with you! How the Hell did Montreal beat out Buffalo for an MLB franchise in 1969, Were all still here, but we need the future also!

Keep Believing & keep talking! I believe as long as we keep talking baseball, we can get back!

For Sure!

Old
07-22-2011, 11:21 PM
penaltykiller

Thanks for these words ! We need more guys like you Habs23!

penaltykiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 11:30 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by penaltykiller View Post
Thanks for these words ! We need more guys like you Habs23!
Were all Ballplayers in summer & we never give up, it's our game also. The great days were when the Gazette sports section melted from Habs to Expos in summer & back to Habs near Sept is Montreal.... Keep talking, keep playing ball, Montreal is not a one horse town. Never lose the spirit!