HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Josh Gorges re-signs 1 year, $2.5 M (July 2011)

Closed Thread

Old
07-22-2011, 09:53 PM
Bullsmith

vCash: 500
If he recovers and walks, this deal is penny-wise and pound foolish. Gorges is worth more, both money and term. For this year, I guess he's a bargain.

Old
07-22-2011, 09:55 PM

So we have $5,179,490 of cap space now. Who do we sign? I hope we use all the cap space.

Old
07-22-2011, 09:55 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Maybe. With the Cap going up as you're stating and we're probably going to not be alone with tons of money...how about offer sheets for Price and Subban if not signed? Wouldn't that be problematic? And as far as Gorges is concerned, well let's play the supposition game, 'cause that's about the only game WE can play around here....I fail to see that it took so much time for everybody to come to that salary and that EVERY side is happy we it. Maybe Habs but Gorges? So would it be too far fetch to think that Gorges will take it as a sign of no matter what we offer him, he's testing? Well I know....Gorges isn't Bobby Orr and I guess we'd replace him....but I figured he's a pretty important piece to this defensive corps for his versatility and leadership. Could be tougher to replace. So let's hope that it's not Gorges mindset. So that scenario could be the alarmist one.....not sure though that it's THAT improbable. Yet, everything could settle nicely, all 3 players could also sign 3 fine contract prior to July 1st and everybody will be happy....that's the other scenario. In the words of HF "wewillseeists...." We will see....

The best news is that we're avoided that stupid arbitrage....thank god.
There's no point in going into speculations WS.

If Gorges isn't happy about this, then why would he not have gone through arbitration? Did he think he'd get less from it? If so, then why is he unhappy?

Who knows what they've discussed. Many management has no problem investing more money and a longer term but want Gorges to step up his game. There's no reason for him to earn 3.5M now, so why would they give it to him?
Maybe they discussed their plans with him on trying to retain about 5M of cap space so they can pursue other components, and the best way for both parties to agree on a deal was for Gorges to take a cheap 1year deal that will bring him a lot more money next summer.
I don't know why people just go straight to assuming negative things.

And why would Price and PK get offersheets?? Stamkos didn't even get one. Also, just how much would a team actually offer for the habs not to match it.
I don't understand why people worry about Price and PK, seriously, I don't get it.
The cap is really making some people crazy.

Old
07-22-2011, 09:56 PM
patsbury

I was expecting something aroung 3-3.5M$/year for the next 3-4 years, but considering his "health problem", I agree with the term from the Habs point of view. Overall, prove you're worth 3.5/each Josh and you'll get it next year!

How in hell 2,5M$/year is overpayment for one of our best defensive D

Old
07-22-2011, 09:59 PM
habsrule22

Don`t know why everyone is worried about the offseason of 2012 when we haven`t even played the 2011-12 season yet. Lets take care of 2011-12 first and worried about next summer then. If the players produced, they will get their money.

Old
07-22-2011, 09:59 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
So we have $5,179,490 of cap space now. Who do we sign? I hope we use all the cap space.
I would say spend a Mil on Winchester, but Gorges & Markov are no guarantees, save it! If one or both go down, we'll lose another 2nd in a trade for a D-Man, but need to keep space. LITR I know, but you never know when to use the math(more space maybe better D man you can get), better to have some room.

Old
07-22-2011, 10:00 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
When was the last time we didn't sign a RFA we needed and wanted to sign?

Having to sign Price and Subban is a big deal.

Adding Gorges to that is insignificant, even though he's the higher risk of leaving.

Let's just say that it added to your insecurity regarding the Habs future!

BTW, I didn't overract. You should read the definition of the word JEST.
Why is it that you talk about signing and not signing? The attention given to negotiating those contracts is big, that's a lot of time the org has to work on those deals. The term and cap hit are also going to be a big deal going forward.

I have no insecurity concerning the Habs' future, but that offseason is going to be big.

Old
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Great response. Should have known better than to think we could have a decent conversation. My bad. For the record...Yes I do. 'Cause as passionnate as most people are, this is just hockey. Though it's funny to read that from you when you seem more pissed than anything else about posters around here....I do hope you sleep well.
LMAO. I'm not pissed. I'm intolerant.

A decent conversation would start with you realizing that we've signed every single RFA that we wanted to sign since the new CBA started. Realize that no Habs RFA ever got an offersheet, and even worse, that even if they get one, we'll have plenty of space to sign them, and even more, the fact that since there isn't even an average of ONE SINGLE offersheet by any team PER YEAR, it is even more unlikely that the two of them will get one, meaning that if ever it happens, the likelyhood will be that it would be only one of them, and in that case, we'll have even more money to deal with it than the extremely unlikely scenario that the two of them get one. It would also benefit that conversation if you could realize that ADDING Gorges to the Price-Subban situation, is like adding a pinch of salt to an ocean. It's insignificant compared to Price and Subban alone.

Old
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
There's no point in going into speculations WS.

If Gorges isn't happy about this, then why would he not have gone through arbitration? Did he think he'd get less from it? If so, then why is he unhappy?

Who knows what they've discussed. Many management has no problem investing more money and a longer term but want Gorges to step up his game. There's no reason for him to earn 3.5M now, so why would they give it to him?
Maybe they discussed their plans with him on trying to retain about 5M of cap space so they can pursue other components, and the best way for both parties to agree on a deal was for Gorges to take a cheap 1year deal that will bring him a lot more money next summer.
I don't know why people just go straight to assuming negative things.

And why would Price and PK get offersheets?? Stamkos didn't even get one. Also, just how much would a team actually offer for the habs not to match it.
I don't understand why people worry about Price and PK, seriously, I don't get it.
The cap is really making some people crazy.
Don't look but my post had the alarmist view....AND THE POSITIVE ONE. But again, let just look at what we don't like and just pretend the rest didn't happen.

Totally possible that nothing will happen. Was just playing devil's advocate. Unless you want me to fill my posts of WE WILL SEE. I'm just not sure the Gorges contract took so long to come down to something like this. That's all. Geez....the cap might be making some people crazy, but discussions and different point of views seems also to be making some people edgy.....It's just a discussion. Based on different possible scenarios. Nobody is calling for anybody's head. Nobody is calling anybody stupid, dumb and Réjean Houle like....

Old
07-22-2011, 10:03 PM
habfaninvictoria

Not surprised its a one year deal. From the habs POV it would have been hard to put a long term dollar value on a deal. He's certain to go up in value after this year but to this point he's not worth 3.5 for a 3-5 year deal which is probably what he wanted. I don't think there will be hard feelings, it's a business, from both sides. He wouldn't want to sign for 2.5 for any more than one year because as a UFA his value goes up. That was the impass, he knows he's not worth more than 2.5 now and he gets to maximize, and we get a motivated player... win, win.

Old
07-22-2011, 10:04 PM
Gainey#1*

I must say I am slightly disappointed at only 1 year. Now we risk losing yet another asset next year for nothing.

I will admit that I am always scared of losing our youth to UFA for nothing, but what kind of message does this send Josh? The organization doesn't trust him enough to commit for more than 1-year?

Old
07-22-2011, 10:05 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Why is it that you talk about signing and not signing? The attention given to negotiating those contracts is big, that's a lot of time the org has to work on those deals. The term and cap hit are also going to be a big deal going forward.

I have no insecurity concerning the Habs' future, but that offseason is going to be big.
Well, then, your "uh-oh" must've meant you'll have a lot to deal with next summer...

Every off-season is big. Halak-Price-Plekanec....

Again, adding Gorges to the Price-Subban situation is insignificant. Price and Subban alone are a big deal. Adding Gorges to this as a 'uh-oh' just reeks of amateur simplistic logic.

Just to make this a whole lot clearer and since you seem to like simplistic crap :

Subban-Price >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gorges

Old
07-22-2011, 10:08 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
LMAO. I'm not pissed. I'm intolerant.

A decent conversation would start with you realizing that we've signed every single RFA that we wanted to sign since the new CBA started. Realize that no Habs RFA ever got an offersheet, and even worse, that even if they get one, we'll have plenty of space to sign them, and even more, the fact that since there isn't even an average of ONE SINGLE offersheet by any team PER YEAR, it is even more unlikely that the two of them will get one, meaning that if ever it happens, the likelyhood will be that it would be only one of them, and in that case, we'll have even more money to deal with it than the extremely unlikely scenario that the two of them get one. It would also benefit that conversation if you could realize that ADDING Gorges to the Price-Subban situation, is like adding a pinch of salt to an ocean. It's insignificant compared to Price and Subban alone.
You add Gorges to Price and Subban 'cause while they each will have to be dealt in their own way, that's the end result you'll have to face.....re-signing them. Obviously, any of those 3 aren't related 'cause different things could happen and they each have their own utility and importance. And I added Gorges in there because they'll still need to take a decision no matter how less important he is than Price and Subban. So it's not related....but will have to be dealt with accordingly.....and it's a Gorges thread.

What we did in the past or the fact that no Habs ever got an offer sheet is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. There's a first for everything. And have we had such interesting players to offer than Subban and Price? Funny thing is that I was just playing the alarmist game. I personnaly believe, 'cause you chose to disregard the part where I'm stating that everything could turn out fine, that Price and Subban will sign here. I'm just not as sure as far as Gorges is concerned. But he also could be. It's called having an opinion with what you have in hand and playing the supposition game. But i know....I should have just wrote....WE WILL SEE. We actually should have a full thread of "We will see" one day....would be fun.

Old
07-22-2011, 10:08 PM
coolasprICE

Gorges wanted a bigger contract, Gorges didn't get it....

Gorges settled for option 2....

Gorges is bitter...

Gorges will test UFA market... unless we overpay...

If Gorges has a bad year,,,,, wise-move PG!

Old
07-22-2011, 10:09 PM
Gainey#1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
Not surprised its a one year deal. From the habs POV it would have been hard to put a long term dollar value on a deal. He's certain to go up in value after this year but to this point he's not worth 3.5 for a 3-5 year deal which is probably what he wanted. I don't think there will be hard feelings, it's a business, from both sides. He wouldn't want to sign for 2.5 for any more than one year because as a UFA his value goes up. That was the impass, he knows he's not worth more than 2.5 now and he gets to maximize, and we get a motivated player... win, win.
Well from Gorges point of view, he will most likely want to test July 1st next year to see what teams will bid on him...I know I would. You only get one opportunity to cash in on July 1st. He will be 27 and in the prime of his career.

Some teams will probably throw $4M his way.

I personally think Josh will be gone on July 1st. This was our opportunity to commit 3-4 years to him, and we didn't do it. The man played the last three years on one knee for this team, and we screw him over by rewarding him with a one-year deal.

Old
07-22-2011, 10:10 PM
habfaninvictoria

Quote:
Maybe. With the Cap going up as you're stating and we're probably going to not be alone with tons of money...how about offer sheets for Price and Subban if not signed? Wouldn't that be problematic? And as far as Gorges is concerned, well let's play the supposition game, 'cause that's about the only game WE can play around here....I fail to see that it took so much time for everybody to come to that salary and that EVERY side is happy we it. Maybe Habs but Gorges? So would it be too far fetch to think that Gorges will take it as a sign of no matter what we offer him, he's testing? Well I know....Gorges isn't Bobby Orr and I guess we'd replace him....but I figured he's a pretty important piece to this defensive corps for his versatility and leadership. Could be tougher to replace. So let's hope that it's not Gorges mindset. So that scenario could be the alarmist one.....not sure though that it's THAT improbable. Yet, everything could settle nicely, all 3 players could also sign 3 fine contract prior to July 1st and everybody will be happy....that's the other scenario. In the words of HF "wewillseeists...." We will see....

The best news is that we're avoided that stupid arbitrage....thank god.
Offer sheets simply don't happen. Stamkos and Doughty surely would have gotten them this year. The price is too high and blowing up bridges is never good.

If teams did sign offer sheets to Price and Subban... potentially 8 1st round picks. 3 per year including ours.... we'd be beasts in 7-10 years for a long time.

Old
07-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Tusk

Yeah Whitesnake, a decent conversation starts with you already seeing things the same way I do!

Old
07-22-2011, 10:12 PM
schumway2

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
Don`t know why everyone is worried about the offseason of 2012 when we haven`t even played the 2011-12 season yet. Lets take care of 2011-12 first and worried about next summer then. If the players produced, they will get their money.
It's called planning. You should have a long term vision when running an organization. Gorges is a UFA next year and if he has a good year you're going to end up compensating him due to the risk he walks. Ultra dumb by Gauthier.

Old
MooseOllini
BobBarker

I hate the fact Gorges is free to go next july first

Old
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Offer sheets simply don't happen. Stamkos and Doughty surely would have gotten them this year. The price is too high and blowing up bridges is never good.

If teams did sign offer sheets to Price and Subban... potentially 8 1st round picks. 3 per year including ours.... we'd be beasts in 7-10 years for a long time.
And this is what's called common sense.

Old
07-22-2011, 10:13 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

Hey....I'm a draft lover.....no problem with this...

Old
07-22-2011, 10:15 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by schumway2 View Post
It's called planning. You should have a long term vision when running an organization. Gorges is a UFA next year and if he has a good year you're going to end up compensating him due to the risk he walks. Ultra dumb by Gauthier.
Yeah, I guess all that happened to Plekanec and his testing of the UFA market and the huge overpayment we had to make to keep him....

I missed that part when it happened.

Old
07-22-2011, 10:15 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekamaniac View Post
I personally think Josh will be gone on July 1st. This was our opportunity to commit 3-4 years to him, and we didn't do it. The man played the last three years on one knee for this team, and we screw him over by rewarding him with a one-year deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schumway2 View Post
What a joke. Once again, some people here don't seem to understand the concept of two parties being involved in a negotiation. Why on earth would Gorges agree to a multi-year deal when he's coming off major knee surgery and knows that a big year this season would do wonders in boosting his value around the league? From the player's point of view, it makes absolutely no sense. But no, of course, it's the Canadiens who messed up by not making him sign a contract he'd have to be an idiot to agree to.

Old
07-22-2011, 10:16 PM
schumway2

Quote:
Yeah, I guess all that happened to Plekanec and his testing of the UFA market and the huge overpayment we had to make to keep him....

I missed that part when it happened.
Plekanec got 5m. You did pay him more than had you signed him earlier.

Old
07-22-2011, 10:17 PM
NLPenton15

I am glad that it was 1 year deal, after this season it will be key to see how he performs and what the offer next year will be, if there is one.

Closed Thread