HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Josh Gorges re-signs 1 year, $2.5 M (July 2011)

Closed Thread

Old
07-22-2011, 10:18 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
This appears to be Gorges asking for longterm at 3.5 million. The habs dont want this because of his injury. Arbitration threat occurs. They still have problems. Eventually PG offers 2.5 and says that is roughly what he would have gotten in arbitration (although he probably would have gotten more). He tells Gorges that if he sees he has recovered fully etc and that the team will likely have more space to sign him long term after this season.

Personally I hope we sign him to a 3 year deal before the end of this year. But its possible Josh is actually bitter.

Old
schumway2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
What a joke. Once again, some people here don't seem to understand the concept of two parties being involved in a negotiation. Why on earth would Gorges agree to a multi-year deal when he's coming off major knee surgery and knows that a big year this season would do wonders in boosting his value around the league? From the player's point of view, it makes absolutely no sense. But no, of course, it's the Canadiens who messed up by not making him sign a contract he'd have to be an idiot to agree to.
Gorges wanted a long term deal. FYI. Check out Arpon Basu's tweets.

Old
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by schumway2 View Post
Plekanec got 5m. You did pay him more than had you signed him earlier.
Which is exactly why Plekanec wouldn't sign a multi-year deal after coming off a 35 point season or whatever he had! Are you guys for real?

Old
07-22-2011, 10:19 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Sounds like pure negotiation tactics to me, because it doesn't make an iota of logical sense.

Old
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
You add Gorges to Price and Subban 'cause while they each will have to be dealt in their own way, that's the end result you'll have to face.....re-signing them. Obviously, any of those 3 aren't related 'cause different things could happen and they each have their own utility and importance. And I added Gorges in there because they'll still need to take a decision no matter how less important he is than Price and Subban. So it's not related....but will have to be dealt with accordingly.....and it's a Gorges thread.

What we did in the past or the fact that no Habs ever got an offer sheet is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. There's a first for everything. And have we had such interesting players to offer than Subban and Price? Funny thing is that I was just playing the alarmist game. I personnaly believe, 'cause you chose to disregard the part where I'm stating that everything could turn out fine, that Price and Subban will sign here. I'm just not as sure as far as Gorges is concerned. But he also could be. It's called having an opinion with what you have in hand and playing the supposition game. But i know....I should have just wrote....WE WILL SEE. We actually should have a full thread of "We will see" one day....would be fun.
One other thing that would greatly help to all of this ("decent" conversation) is for you to read what I responded to in the first place. I don't mind people who butt in the conversation, as long as they at least have the decency to read where the conversation started. You would then realize that I was mocking someone who thought that ADDING Gorges to the Subban and Price situation is some kinda "uh-oh".

Old
Gainey#1*

Quote:
What a joke. Once again, some people here don't seem to understand the concept of two parties being involved in a negotiation. Why on earth would Gorges agree to a multi-year deal when he's coming off major knee surgery and knows that a big year this season would do wonders in boosting his value around the league? From the player's point of view, it makes absolutely no sense. But no, of course, it's the Canadiens who messed up by not making him sign a contract he'd have to be an idiot to agree to.
So your trying to tell me that Josh wouldn't agree to a 4-year contract worth $12million? The man has been living off short-team contracts his whole career (I know he signed a 3yr with us before, but it was for peanuts...we definitely got the best of him).

Coming off knee surgery, Josh would have gladly locked in for 4years at 3M/yr. It gives him stability and security.

Old
07-22-2011, 10:20 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
My sole and only point as far as Gorges is concerned is that....you're ABSOLUTELY right. That contract made sense for BOTH parties. Habs that want to know how his knee will react and Gorges who wants to keep his options open. Totally agree. Which makes me wonder just a little bit.....while it's so obvious that it was THE contract to sign by both parties....why the wait? What else was up there for them to consider? Or did Gauthier just started to talk to Gorges 2 days ago?

I mean, while I was expecting a long term contract, like most people in here were but will suddenly not remember it...., if that contract would have happened quite some time ago, I'd would have gone "Well....of course". Just wonder from where it started to where it gone to come back to the obvious....

Old
07-22-2011, 10:20 PM
schumway2

Quote:
Which is exactly why Plekanec wouldn't sign a multi-year deal after coming off a 35 point season or whatever he had! Are you guys for real?
Plekanec was a different situation cause of the year he had before his 70 pt season. Gorges has showed his qualities as player. Unless his injury has the Habs seriously concerned I don't get why they wouldn't sign him long term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekamaniac View Post
So your trying to tell me that Josh wouldn't agree to a 4-year contract worth $12million? The man has been living off short-team contracts his whole career (I know he signed a 3yr with us before, but it was for peanuts...we definitely got the best of him).

Coming off knee surgery, Josh would have gladly locked in for 4years at 3M/yr. It gives him stability and security.
No Way dude. Players hate long term deals. I mean when do you ever see players sign long deals. I mean security, who needs that?

Old
07-22-2011, 10:22 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Plekanec got 5m. You did pay him more than had you signed him earlier.
Yeah, and that little **** pseudo-gangster still hasn't given me a receipt.

You're an expert at missing the point

Old
07-22-2011, 10:26 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
I believe when all is said and done, he will be a hab again next season.

Old
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
One other thing that would greatly help to all of this ("decent" conversation) is for you to read what I responded to in the first place. I don't mind people who butt in the conversation, as long as they at least have the decency to read where the conversation started. You would then realize that I was mocking someone who thought that ADDING Gorges to the Subban and Price situation is some kinda "uh-oh".
To which I added an alarmist scenario as proposed, to which you decided to mock in return. I know you are quite versatile. You are able to to have a couple of conversation in the same time even if they don't pull exactly in the same direction. I stated an alarmist scenario, to which you decided to mock. Your choice. My choice to think that you could have chose to answer it in another way (see the post you responded as "common sense"). Pretty sure you could have done the same thing. As a matter of fact.....you did a little later on. But hey, who am I to want to change your style. Don't mind me.

Old
ruski17

Great! Now we have 5 million to sign Ryan White!

Old
UniverStalinGraduate*

This is perfect if you ask me. Gorges gets a year to prove he can come back from his injury and hopefully he puts up 25ish points and the Habs sign him to a 4 year 14 millionish deal.

What's going to happen? I love Gorges but he isn't going to break out huge in points and a contract like the one I mentioned makes sense for both sides.

Also leaves the habs a good score of cap space this year AND there will be lots of room next year to lock up Eller, Subban, Gorges, Emelin, Kostityn and Price.

The nice thing is that with Kostitsyn and Gorges there will not be any huge jumps in salary, because that's often what will be hurtful for teams. Even Subban shouldn't break the bank TOO much.

Old
07-22-2011, 10:27 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski17 View Post
Great! Now we have 5 million to sign Ryan White!
Whitey signed a week or so ago man! 1 year 650 I think.

Old
07-22-2011, 10:28 PM
Drive425

Quote:
Yes, and Jagr wanted to play with his buddy Pleks. Check out Eklund. Pfft...

Old
07-22-2011, 10:31 PM
Forsead

Well I'm happy he doesn't get to arbitration this thing could really sour a relashionship between a team and a player. 1 year is great for both parties in this negotiation, because the team will see if he can get a good season and if he does well he will get more money and a long contract, also we don't know his exact condition right now and the team has that insight. I have no fear that he can get a nice season and that we will be able to sign him to like 4 years and between 3 and 3.5 millions cap hit next season. I see him him doing like Plekanec.

Old
07-22-2011, 10:33 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
To which I added an alarmist scenario as proposed, to which you decided to mock in return. I know you are quite versatile. You are able to to have a couple of conversation in the same time even if they don't pull exactly in the same direction. I stated an alarmist scenario, to which you decided to mock. Your choice. My choice to think that you could have chose to answer it in another way (see the post you responded as "common sense"). Pretty sure you could have done the same thing. As a matter of fact.....you did a little later on. But hey, who am I to want to change your style. Don't mind me.
Sorry if I mocked it, but I find it ridiculous when people get hung-up on offersheets and speculate and argue about them. They are IMPROBABLE, and in turn, a waste of time to speculate about.

Maybe in 3-4 years, when 75% of the top 100 players of UFA age will all be under long-term contracts, then, maybe, just maybe, there will be an offersheet war that'll get ignited, but for the meantime, it didn't happen this year, and I'd be very surprised if it happened next year. So it becomes kinda unconsequential.

Now add Gorges to that... OMG, uh-oh.

Old
07-22-2011, 10:34 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
Well I'm happy he doesn't get to arbitration this thing could really sour a relashionship between a team and a player. 1 year is great for both parties in this negotiation, because the team will see if he can get a good season and if he does well he will get more money and a long contract, also we don't know his exact condition right now and the team has that insight. I have no fear that he can get a nice season and that we will be able to sign him to like 4 years and between 3 and 3.5 millions cap hit next season. I see him him doing like Plekanec.
Hopefully he comes back healthy and we can re-sign him. 2.5 for one year is great, just hope that his nose isn't out of joint because if he comes back strong we'll definitely want him for a lot longer than just next season.

Old
07-22-2011, 10:40 PM
habsjunkie2*

Count me in as one of the few who thinks this is a good deal and allows PG to do other things. Gorges is a nice player, but if he decides to walk because we wouldn't give him a 4yr 15m contract, good. I think he's replaceable, a nice player to have and every team needs them, but I don't think it's all that alarming

Old
07-22-2011, 10:42 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Count me in as one of the few who thinks this is a good deal and allows PG to do other things. Gorges is a nice player, but if he decides to walk because we wouldn't give him a 4yr 15m contract, good. I think he's replaceable, a nice player to have and every team needs them, but I don't think it's all that alarming
Yeah, I don't see him as a 4 million dollar player either.

Old
07-22-2011, 10:43 PM
Gainey#1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Hopefully he comes back healthy and we can re-sign him. 2.5 for one year is great, just hope that his nose isn't out of joint because if he comes back strong we'll definitely want him for a lot longer than just next season.
What concerns me is that a one-year deal should have been ironed out back in May or June. I have a feeling (it's just my opinion) that Josh wanted to commit longer term and we wouldn't budge.

If these negotiations soured Gorges' view of this organization, then Josh is as good as gone on July 1st.

Old
07-22-2011, 10:45 PM
Zaide
I'm a renegade

vCash: 152
Would've prefer a 2 or 3 years deal, but I'm fine.

At least, he's stille with us.

Old
07-22-2011, 10:46 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
What concerns me is that a one-year deal should have been ironed out back in May or June. I have a feeling (it's just my opinion) that Josh wanted to commit longer term and we wouldn't budge.

If these negotiations soured Gorges' view of this organization, then Josh is as good as gone on July 1st.
Gorges has to see the org's POV. He just came back off a major surgery. He has no offence to speak of. If he has a good year, the team will reward him. Sure every player wants to cash in, but they have to consider what is best for team as well.

Old
07-22-2011, 10:46 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Don't look but my post had the alarmist view....AND THE POSITIVE ONE. But again, let just look at what we don't like and just pretend the rest didn't happen.

Totally possible that nothing will happen. Was just playing devil's advocate. Unless you want me to fill my posts of WE WILL SEE. I'm just not sure the Gorges contract took so long to come down to something like this. That's all. Geez....the cap might be making some people crazy, but discussions and different point of views seems also to be making some people edgy.....It's just a discussion. Based on different possible scenarios. Nobody is calling for anybody's head. Nobody is calling anybody stupid, dumb and Réjean Houle like....
Actually, some people were calling for Gauthier's head after it became clear Wiz wasn't being re-signed. Some were saying that we would not sign anybody (proven wrong by Cole's signing), and some keep criticizing management for not bringing in tougher enforcer like players.
I'm not talking about you, I don't consider you as part of the over the top crazy emotional posters.

Personally, I prefer to fill my post with the ''we will see'' attitude. I don't see much of a point in going into speculation when there can be so many options. Do I think Gorges was holding off to get a 1y/2.5M deal? Of course not. Do I think management wanted that? Probably not, but they're most likely happier about it than Gorges.
So, what did happen during negotiations??? I have no freaking idea.
What will happen next summer?? I have no freaking idea.
Does it matter today?? Absolutely not.
Could Price and PK get offersheet? As of today, sure, it's a possibility, just for all other RFAs.
Will they sign one?? I highly doubt it.

I'm not edgy about anything btw, and I wasn't attacking you or your post, simply discussing it. I think you should know this about me by now. We always kept things calmed and simply agreed to disagree whenever we had different opinions.

Old
07-22-2011, 10:48 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:

Habs are offering him a chance to upgrade his value, all the while not taking any risks with him because of his recent season ending injury. Unless Gorges is selfish and childish... he would understand those things.

Closed Thread