HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jason Wilson

Old
07-19-2011, 10:35 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

vCash: 500
Jason Wilson

Whats the deal with this guy? Is this the same Clifford who's on the Kings now? I had no idea Jason Wilson drops them with guys like Clifford..This makes me happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2JuN...eature=related

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 10:36 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Yes, that is the Kings' Clifford.

Not surprising you're fond of him -- he's a helluva grinder/fighter.

07-19-2011, 10:45 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

That was a nasty right by Wilson..Just vicious..Jason throws with bad intent..Love it.

Old
07-20-2011, 12:43 AM
district9

his past season with niagara was great. good young grinder who has gotten better through his ohl career (40+ points and was a +20 this past season). not sure how he would pan out on the nhl level but i could definitely see him replacing rupp on the line with boyle and prust in a few years. he's a big body but could be a little thicker and he's tough, so definitely could be a future 4th liner here if we ever need a checker

district9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 04:22 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post
his past season with niagara was great. good young grinder who has gotten better through his ohl career (40+ points and was a +20 this past season). not sure how he would pan out on the nhl level but i could definitely see him replacing rupp on the line with boyle and prust in a few years. he's a big body but could be a little thicker and he's tough, so definitely could be a future 4th liner here if we ever need a checker
Playing on a line with Ryan Strome doesn't hurt as far as the stats go. Got to think that he's two-three seasons away at best. He's a decent prospect though. Most likely 4th line material if he makes it.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 09:15 AM
Orr Nightmare

Good work Surf.

I never saw this fight before. That was impressive.

Clifford is a big boy and knows how to fight and to see Wilson go toe to toe with him says a lot about the kid.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 09:32 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Good work Surf.

Clifford is a big boy and knows how to fight and to see Wilson go toe to toe with him says a lot about the kid.
Wilson reminds of a little like Dale Weise..

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 11:17 AM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Oh please lets hope not...Or Byers..Or Soryal..All the chatter Byers got was useless..Tough dude who could chip in with the odd goal every now and then..You know what,he did neither..Couldnt fight or score with us in his short time here..This Wilson kid throws to hurt you..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
Wilson reminds of a little like Dale Weise..

Old
07-20-2011, 06:30 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Good work Surf.

I watched some of his other fights on Youtube and the Clifford fight was by far his nest performance and it was only one punch after he was down. His best chance seems to be as a Prust type that can score some and fight some but not excel at either.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 12:55 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
I watched some of his other fights on Youtube and the Clifford fight was by far his nest performance and it was only one punch after he was down. His best chance seems to be as a Prust type that can score some and fight some but not excel at either.
I think he realizes that as well, he has stated he wants to be a Prust type.

Old
07-21-2011, 01:38 AM
Richards to Gaborik

I know he got a bad rating in the prospects polls, but this guy has a better chance of making the NHL than some of the players he got rated higher than(at least in my opinion). Seems like he has solid 4th potential to me, which is not a bad thing at all.

Richards to Gaborik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 02:22 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richards to Gaborik View Post
I know he got a bad rating in the prospects polls, but this guy has a better chance of making the NHL than some of the players he got rated higher than(at least in my opinion). Seems like he has solid 4th potential to me, which is not a bad thing at all.
the thing is for someone who projects as a 4th liner, we need to see how he handles himself at the pro level to have some more faith in his ability. Even a guy like Byers puts up 46, 47, and 51 points in the AHL and doesn't amount to anything. Wilson probably won't be scoring a lot, especially if he's planning on working out to be like Brandon Prust. I'm rambling. He has great potential to jump a lot in our next prospects poll.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 02:55 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
I think he realizes that as well, he has stated he wants to be a Prust type.
that would be awesome

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 03:06 PM
ocarina

I dunno, 43 points in 64 games as an over-ager doesn't impress me at all. I think he's more likely to be Dane Byers rather then Prust, but I guess we'll see.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 03:22 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
I dunno, 43 points in 64 games as an over-ager doesn't impress me at all. I think he's more likely to be Dane Byers rather then Prust, but I guess we'll see.
odds are much higher that he'll be byers...but prust last year of juniors he had 30 points in 48 games. so he didn't tear up juniors either...and really didn't score until this year.

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 09:19 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

i watched him some this year with niagara. not alot of talent. hes a marginal nhl player.

he will be a decent ahl 3rd liner who can bring it prettty well

hes a gamer though for sure.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 10:34 PM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Quote:
I agree, but Wilson would bury Byers! He is one tough kid.

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 11:33 PM
Jxmarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
the thing is for someone who projects as a 4th liner, we need to see how he handles himself at the pro level to have some more faith in his ability. Even a guy like Byers puts up 46, 47, and 51 points in the AHL and doesn't amount to anything. Wilson probably won't be scoring a lot, especially if he's planning on working out to be like Brandon Prust. I'm rambling. He has great potential to jump a lot in our next prospects poll.
Quote:
If you don't have NHL scoring skills, and your calling card is toughness, then you better be competent at it. And you better be smart and play a strong defensive game.

Although Prust is not a true heavyweight, he is a very competent light-heavy, plays smart, and contributes defensively. Jason Wilson is not a true heavyweight either, but he's rugged and exhibits similar potential to Prust as a player.

The problem with Byers, and Weise too for that matter, is that although they may be better than Prust and Wilson offensively on the minor league level, their effectiveness in terms of toughness & defense leaves a lot to be desired. Their offense is not good enough to get them to the next level, and they simply do not do the "other" little things as well as Prust, and perhaps Wilson in time.

For a different kind of player 43 points in 64 games as an overager would be underwhelming. But if Wilson patterns his game after a Prust, or a Shawn Thornton perhaps, that kind of output isn't bad, and he could eventually earn a spot on an NHL team.

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 08:58 AM
eco's bones

Three things that hurt Byers--1) skating--pretty much up and down his wing with average speed and mobility. 2) his upside (condidering he was a 2nd round pick) never wowed anyone 3) lack of opportunity. As far as toughness he was willing to go--but he was a mediocre fighter. The first couple seasons in Hartford he got into tons of fights.

Wilson is supposed to be quite a good skater. As far as offensive production Byers was the better junior player and it's not likely that Wilson is going to be able to match Byers AHL production either. Well neither did Hollweg and Hollweg found a niche at least for a few years. Prust for that matter was not a great junior or AHL player. Luck plays a part in this as Prust could as easily have been buried in Calgary's system considering that he was more or less a spare forward on a mediocre team before he was traded to us.

I'm pretty much wait and see on Wilson. I don't expect he's going to be shooting up in our prospect polls though because I don't expect he's going to put up the offensive numbers for that to happen. I don't think Hollweg ever made our top 20 but he still made the team for about 3 years. Wilson also is going into a league that has a number of goons who have around for a while that he's not going to match up well against--consider Soryal against the likes of Boulerice, Yablonski or Gillies--huge guys who have had hundreds of pro fights or even a little tiger like Jon Mirasty. There are a number of guys in the AHL from year to year who will just eat up and spit out mid level fighters coming out of juniors.

Old
07-22-2011, 01:50 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Three things that hurt Byers--1) skating--pretty much up and down his wing with average speed and mobility. 2) his upside (condidering he was a 2nd round pick) never wowed anyone 3) lack of opportunity. As far as toughness he was willing to go--but he was a mediocre fighter. The first couple seasons in Hartford he got into tons of fights.

Wilson is supposed to be quite a good skater. As far as offensive production Byers was the better junior player and it's not likely that Wilson is going to be able to match Byers AHL production either. Well neither did Hollweg and Hollweg found a niche at least for a few years. Prust for that matter was not a great junior or AHL player. Luck plays a part in this as Prust could as easily have been buried in Calgary's system considering that he was more or less a spare forward on a mediocre team before he was traded to us.

I'm pretty much wait and see on Wilson. I don't expect he's going to be shooting up in our prospect polls though because I don't expect he's going to put up the offensive numbers for that to happen. I don't think Hollweg ever made our top 20 but he still made the team for about 3 years. Wilson also is going into a league that has a number of goons who have around for a while that he's not going to match up well against--consider Soryal against the likes of Boulerice, Yablonski or Gillies--huge guys who have had hundreds of pro fights or even a little tiger like Jon Mirasty. There are a number of guys in the AHL from year to year who will just eat up and spit out mid level fighters coming out of juniors.
That is why the Whale need a goon on their roster...if the Rangers have any plans for Wilson in the future then he has to avoid the veteran goons in the AHL. Boulerice basically broke Soryal's face and when Boulerice was in the NHL he usually lost more than he won.

Old
07-22-2011, 04:19 PM
Jxmarts

Quote:
That is why the Whale need a goon on their roster...if the Rangers have any plans for Wilson in the future then he has to avoid the veteran goons in the AHL. Boulerice basically broke Soryal's face and when Boulerice was in the NHL he usually lost more than he won.
Wilson's not a heavyweight right now. He may never be one, which is why he'd be smart to pattern his game after Prust and try to excel defensively. He's a little bigger than Prust, so he could turn out like a Shawn Thornton or Eric Boulton down the line, but he isn't ready for a role like that now.

McNaught isn't nearly the player Wilson is, but if he's recovered from his ankle injury, he is (or will be with a little experience) the real deal as a heavyweight. The question with him is whether he's good enough to play in the AHL, even strictly as a fighter. At this point, it's more likely he'll have to start out in the ECHL.

Old
07-22-2011, 04:41 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jxmarts View Post
Wilson's not a heavyweight right now. He may never be one, which is why he'd be smart to pattern his game after Prust and try to excel defensively. He's a little bigger than Prust, so he could turn out like a Shawn Thornton or Eric Boulton down the line, but he isn't ready for a role like that now.

McNaught isn't nearly the player Wilson is, but if he's recovered from his ankle injury, he is (or will be with a little experience) the real deal as a heavyweight. The question with him is whether he's good enough to play in the AHL, even strictly as a fighter. At this point, it's more likely he'll have to start out in the ECHL.
Wilson will never be a heavyweight. His ceiling as a fighter would be as a Tootoo like player.

He has some skills but he needs to work on his skating. That is why Prust excels. Its not skills, he is a very good skater and has great balance. It helps his fighting as well.

McNaught has/had a legitimate shot at becoming a heavyweight in the NHL. That kid throws/threw bombs.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 05:42 PM
eco's bones

Wilson's ceiling as a fighter is more like Arron Asham. Of course fighting skills have to be developed as well.

A goon in Hartford is not necessarily a bad idea. I think Yablonski is unsigned at the moment. He's not a good hockey player but if you're trying to develop a middleweight/cruiserweight like Wilson into something like we have with Prust--someone like Yablonski would give him some space--or a Mirasty who is kind of small but went toe to toe with Derek Boogaard several times. New Jersey signed Cam Janssen who will probably spend a large portion of this year in the AHL--Janssen is around Wilson's size--plays for a rival organization and would eat him alive.

Old
07-22-2011, 11:10 PM
Jxmarts

Quote:
Wilson's ceiling as a fighter is more like Arron Asham. Of course fighting skills have to be developed as well.

A goon in Hartford is not necessarily a bad idea. I think Yablonski is unsigned at the moment. He's not a good hockey player but if you're trying to develop a middleweight/cruiserweight like Wilson into something like we have with Prust--someone like Yablonski would give him some space--or a Mirasty who is kind of small but went toe to toe with Derek Boogaard several times. New Jersey signed Cam Janssen who will probably spend a large portion of this year in the AHL--Janssen is around Wilson's size--plays for a rival organization and would eat him alive.
I love talking Ranger "tough guys."

I think the analogies of Wilson as a fighter to Prust, Tootoo & Asham are good ones, but I think Wilson's ceiling can be a little higher... because he is a little bigger. I mentioned Shawn Thornton or Eric Boulton earlier.

Boulton & Thornton have done a lot of fighting in their careers, and Wilson does not come close to them in experience. However, the NHL has changed & the need for frequent fighters is diminishing. But as Wilson, who is 6-2, matures, he will probably approach them in size. Sometimes players who were not necessarily big time fighters in their junior days realize that fighting is what will earn them a spot in the NHL. Mike Rupp is a perfect example. Then again, others, try as they might, just don't have the knack for it. Yes, Ric Bennett & Hugh Jessiman, I mean you. Dane Byers & Dale Weise too. But I think the jury is still out on Wilson. Firstly, I think it's critical that he becomes a reliable defensive player like Prust. Although I don't really see him as a true heavyweight, I think here's just enough there to say his ceiling as a fighter might be a little higher. But it will take a lot of work.

Size by itself doesn't define a fighter, of course. Janssen, for example, is tough enough to hang with most heavyweights despite being undersized. You're right that Janssen would eat Wilson's lunch right now. But I'm hopeful it'll be a different story in a year or two.

Old
07-22-2011, 11:54 PM
Jxmarts

Quote:

They will probably sign a goon, unless they think McNaught is ready to take on that role. DiDiomete & Soryal combined for over 60 fights for the Whale, and they're gone. Will Bickel & Nightingale be back, who combined for 30 more? But I doubt the Rangers will sign Yablonski or Mirasty... I just don't see them as wholesome Ranger kind of guys.

I actually thought they might give Aaron Boogaard a tryout before his arrest. Jesse Boulerice? David Koci might be a possibility, if he doesn't land on an NHL roster.