HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pitts - NYI

Old
07-21-2011, 10:27 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Pitt doesn't need Bailey, they need Okposo. Would they like Comeau maybe? I could see Comeau doing extremely well in Pittsburgh but I still don't see good trading partners. And why the Pens would trade Despres is beyond me.
Having Tyler Kennedy makes Comeau a bit redundant, IMO, so I'm not sure the Pens would deal something significant for another Kennedy-type.

Not that their games are perfect comparisons, but they're both guys who are in that tweener category, where they're borderline top six guys, but who can excel in third line roles. Both had their first 20+ goal seasons this year, both are 24 going on 25 years old, too.

I think Comeau might have more individual skill, and with his increased size, can be more of a physical asset -- but when he shows up. And I think that's Kennedy's biggest advantage over Comeau. Kennedy works hard every single game. You won't have to worry which Kennedy shows up in a given game. So whatever edge Comeau may have on Kennedy in terms of size/shooting ability, Kennedy's consistency makes up the gap.

Having said that, if Comeau could ever develop consistency, however, he'd fit in perfectly with the style the Pens play. A winger who can hit, score 20 odd goals, and play two-way hockey fits right in with the Neals, Kennedys, Kunitzs, Cookes, etc. that the Pens like to employ. I'm just not sure he's a guy the Pens would pay a hefty price (and the way Despres has developed since his draft year, it's quite hefty) to land him.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 10:31 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Penguins are better off keeping Despres and seeing what he can blossom into. He can make one of Pittsburgh's top-4 defenseman expendable through trade. If not, let Despres value rise some more and package him for a top-tier winger.

That being said, Bailey is special in his own right. He goes on dominant streaks but then takes a step back. I think the Isles should go out and get a veteran mentor to help him along the way like Weight has helped Tavares.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 11:42 PM
Hipster Doofus

Isles need an established d-man, not competition for DeHaan and friends.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 12:50 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldy2266 View Post
A skilled (LW) that can play with Staal on the third line.... God bless Matt Cooke but I think that Bailey would be a better fit with Staal.
Fact: Last season, Cooke had more goals and points than Bailey while playing less games.
Fact number 2: Cooke didn't have a single PP point (he doesn't play it), Bailey had 9, adding to the image of Cooke's lower ceiling not preventing him from being a ways more productive ES.
Fact 3: Staal's line is a matchup line for us, Cooke is a great player defensively, Bailey is... not.

There might be sense to wanting to improve the wingers at Pittsburgh, but lets not get a center to do so, and lets not get someone capable of playing left wing when we have several who are better than him already.
And lets not try and improve on Cooke as third line LW. He is about as good/useful in that position as any experienced third line LW in the league at less than 2 million. When Cooke needs replacing, we can do so from within.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 04:13 AM
OnlyTheBrave*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Fact: Last season, Cooke had more goals and points than Bailey while playing less games.
Fact number 2: Cooke didn't have a single PP point (he doesn't play it), Bailey had 9, adding to the image of Cooke's lower ceiling not preventing him from being a ways more productive ES.
Fact 3: Staal's line is a matchup line for us, Cooke is a great player defensively, Bailey is... not.

There might be sense to wanting to improve the wingers at Pittsburgh, but lets not get a center to do so, and lets not get someone capable of playing left wing when we have several who are better than him already.
And lets not try and improve on Cooke as third line LW. He is about as good/useful in that position as any experienced third line LW in the league at less than 2 million. When Cooke needs replacing, we can do so from within.
I want to hug you for this post.

And if the Pens ever wanted to add a better left winger to Staal's line, if Staalkin works, Sullivan will look fine on the left side or even Tyler Kennedy while Malkin flanks the right side. Those are just ideas that Bylsma will probably work on, but yeah.

OnlyTheBrave* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 06:08 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Moulson Ale View Post
I'm sorry but the Islanders take this and run
Add another trade asset with Despres and move Reasoner to third line center, Haley to center and call up Gillies
How low is your opinion of Bailey?

We're talking about a kid who's on the best way to being a poor man's Henrik Sedin...

In general, Bailey isn't on the market unless it's for a similarly young forward with the same type of upside, perhaps more of a winger than a center.

By the way, the Bailey-on-the-wing expiriment has ended for now. His skillset is much more fitting for a center and this was seen when he was holding down a role in the middle.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 07:58 AM
Xavier Laflamme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post

We're talking about a kid who's on the best way to being a poor man's Henrik Sedin...

In general, Bailey isn't on the market unless it's for a similarly young forward with the same type of upside, perhaps more of a winger than a center.

By the way, the Bailey-on-the-wing expiriment has ended for now. His skillset is much more fitting for a center and this was seen when he was holding down a role in the middle.
And Craig Adams is a poor man's Sidney Crosby

Xavier Laflamme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 08:26 AM
goal1228

Quote:

I dont get the hate for Bailey either. This kid has talent, he just needs to get stronger in my opinion and he will be a very good player. I think things really started to change for him the last 20-25 games of the season last year, and especially after the Pittsburgh game when he dropped the gloves.

I'm not saying he's untradeable, if it betters the team, but i expect he could be a 50-60 point player sometime soon for this team.

goal1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 11:13 AM
Dragon Priest
Elvenlegions

A big no from the Pens.

Dragon Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 11:14 AM
Zbynek

We'll keep Despres thank you very much. And LOL Bailey isn't even worth a 2nd round pick on his own bud

Zbynek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 12:55 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Quote:
He has talent, but he is a one way player (offensive) who has yet to break out offensively while being a liability defensively.
That's like a less efficient version of Sam Gagner, and as much as that can be good for a team lacking a playmaker or betting on futures, it is never going to be appealing on an elite team.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 12:57 AM
hskates21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
He has talent, but he is a one way player (offensive) who has yet to break out offensively while being a liability defensively.
That's like a less efficient version of Sam Gagner, and as much as that can be good for a team lacking a playmaker or betting on futures, it is never going to be appealing on an elite team.
Bailey plays well defensively and he's no ganger he is more physical

hskates21* is offline   Reply With Quote