HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mikhail Pashnin to Play in N.A This Season (UPDATE: Signs extension in Russia)

Old
07-22-2011, 01:50 PM
ocarina

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
Funny how many people are experts on this kid. Yes, Im sure you all definitely watched tons of his games in Russia.
The experts who follow KHL hockey say that he is nothing special.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 01:52 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Because of what he showed on the ice against his peers maybe? What have any of those other players done to be noticed? This is why there is a prospect tournament, to improve your standing within the franchise is it not? Move up the rankings by your play, not your draft position.

Rangers get lucky with 7th round picks for pro D sometimes, Kim Johnsson comes to mind. Not saying I think Pashnin is gonna have a game like Johnsson but he's in a similar position coming into the league.
Being that he is two years older then most of his fellow competition, I would hope he would be one of the better players.

That's a fact that I think doesn't get mentioned enough. He's already 22, it's not like he was playing in the KHL as a teenager.

Old
07-22-2011, 01:53 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Everyone is writing Erixon in the top six before a game is played.......i'm not sure this is wise. All I know is i'm pumped as hell for camp this year.
Some people have unrealistic expectations for a player like Pashnin. He will not be on the team out of camp unless he absolutely blows the organization out of the water. Doubt he does. Erixon has played in a top league and succeeded much more than Pashnin. Erixon is ready for the NHL, and if he isn't, there is still MDZ, V-Tank, and Kundratek who are ready to show what they got in camp as well, and have had more success than Pashnin as well.

People get over-hyped about a player like this, and yet undervalue what someone like Del Zotto does for the team. I'm not alone in thinking DZ was MUCH improved in his own zone last year, but lost all confidence in his offense. That was the real reason why he was demoted, to get the confidence back and to be able to get 20+ minutes of ice time and not kill a teams PP that was looking to make the playoffs. MDZ will break out this season, mark my words.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 01:55 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
He has some of the worst hockey sense I have ever seen. He removes himself from plays waaaay too much. He has a lot to learn.
not surprising considering that was always the knock on kasparitis and thats who people compare pashnin too

CM PUNK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 02:00 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Because of what he showed on the ice against his peers maybe? What have any of those other players done to be noticed? This is why there is a prospect tournament, to improve your standing within the franchise is it not? Move up the rankings by your play, not your draft position.
Dowzak, Klassen and Grant were all guys that we had at Traverse or prospect camp. They put themselves on our radar, played another season of Junior/NCAA, then earned a contract. Same as Pashin is doing. Chris Chappell won himself a contract after looking good during training camp one year. They've all done things to be noticed by the organization, who rewarded them with contracts.

What are they now? AHL/ECHL filler. CHL filler, in Dowzak's case. Now, am I saying that Pashnin is destined to the same fate? Absolutely not. I just think people are getting way, way too excited over a kid that was a seventh round pick, and coming off an okay year in the KHL. Part of it is all the fluff coming from the Rangers (nothing new), part of it is the few tweets we've heard from the beat writers at camp saying he hit everything in sight. And yet another part of it is the fact that the vast, vast majority have seen little to no actual play from him, and have this desire for him to turn into a late-round steal. Imaginations running wild.

Right now, he's an okay prospect that looks like he might get a contract. Can we wait to actually see him before proclaiming that he'll be battling for a spot on the bottom pair? I'm not directing this at you, but a lot of other people.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 02:00 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
With our current defensive depth I have a hard time believing Pashnin will ever see time with this club barring injuries.
most likely won't come close to cracking the top 6 if we keep everyone...but the ideal scenario would be for guys like pashnin, valentenko, kundratek, etc to provide enough depth to allow us to trade someone from the top 6 to fill another need. maybe slightly downgrade the 3rd pair to improve another area.

CM PUNK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 02:17 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Where we ranked him in the prospect list proves what i'm talking about.
Also proves that people don't know what the KHL draft is about.

I hope I am wrong. I have nothing against Pashnin, I just have a problem with people constantly bringing up the KHL draft without knowing anything about it.

Look at Jyri Niemi. A year younger, drafted earlier, bigger, better offensively, starred for Team Finland and played at least as well in Hartford as Pashnin in the KHL. Yet, nobody talks about him because he never entered the KHL draft.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 03:06 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
The experts who follow KHL hockey say that he is nothing special.
that's all i've heard/read too.

I think some on the board have latched onto him b/c anybody who is described as "physical" automatically becomes pushed to the moon as far as expectations around here.

Either way, he obviously showed SOMETHING at the prospect camp for the Rangers to want to sign him. I just don't see him having a chance in hell of making the team out of camp.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 03:21 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
that's all i've heard/read too.

I think some on the board have latched onto him b/c anybody who is described as "physical" automatically becomes pushed to the moon as far as expectations around here.

Either way, he obviously showed SOMETHING at the prospect camp for the Rangers to want to sign him. I just don't see him having a chance in hell of making the team out of camp.
I think people are getting attached to him because of the PR articles as well as his performance in camps (while failing to acknowledge that he is older then most of the other players in that camp).

I don't mean to crap on him, but as Emma said, people are getting way too excited over a guy who really hasn't proven anything, except for being an adequate depth KHL d-man.

Old
07-22-2011, 03:37 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
1. He was 21 years old last season, and turned 22 during the playoffs.

2. His 5 points in 16 games were in the MHL, which is the Russian junior league.

3. I don't see him making the Rangers this year. I will be happy if he can be a very good top-4 defenseman in Hartford. So long as he outplays Jyri Niemi (who is a year younger than Pashnin) and Blake Parlett (who is exactly the same age), I will be very glad with his performance. It is possible, however, that he'll be only a #6 blueliner in Hartford, behind Redden, Kundratek, Parlett, Niemi and either Valentenko or MDZ.

4. I hope he can make the Rangers. If we can get an overload of defensemen like we had in 1993-94, we can pull another trade like Turcotte+Patrick for Larmer, where we acquire a great top-6 forward in return for a redundant top-4 defenseman and a 2/3 line tweener.

But I would like to hear real analysis of Pashnin, not the fact that he went first overall in the KHL (waiver/supplemental) draft.
Pashnin is a defensive defenseman who likes to battle.

He played in the KHL when he was 20 as well, thats what I was meaning by 20-21.

I would say he is about on par with a Parlett, but if Parlett comes to camp and does well he could have a shot at the Rangers as well.

I dont think he has the potential to become anything more than a Francis Bouillon/Darius Kasparitis/Shane O'Brien like player BUT the fact that he is close to that now, is a great thing for a 7th rounder.

He is a pretty good skater as well. He will never put up a ton of points. Thats like looking at Marc Staal's numbers in junior and saying he will never amount to much. Or McDonagh in college. Or Sauer in juniors.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 08:19 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Players drafted after Pashnin in the 2009 KHL draft (it was not a dispersal draft)

Magnus Paajarvi
Erik Karlsson
Mattias Tedenby
Mikael Granlund
Zach Kassian
Jacob Josefson
Erik Gundbranson
Viktor Hedman
Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Taylor Hall

surely he's better than all of these guys

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 09:04 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

I think he's coming over to get better.
I think his passion will push him to get better.
I think he will be an NHL player eventually.
I think he'll be in CT for 1.5-2yrs minimum before he's ready.

NYGBleedBlueNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 09:49 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Pashnin has a higher chance of finding himself in a fight for the Whale's bottom pair than he does the Ranger's.

Our serious candidates this year are Erixon, Valentenko, and Kundratek.

Pashnin, McIlrath, Parlett and everyone else are fringe candidates, at best.

07-23-2011, 12:08 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
Some people have unrealistic expectations for a player like Pashnin. He will not be on the team out of camp unless he absolutely blows the organization out of the water. Doubt he does. Erixon has played in a top league and succeeded much more than Pashnin. Erixon is ready for the NHL, and if he isn't, there is still MDZ, V-Tank, and Kundratek who are ready to show what they got in camp as well, and have had more success than Pashnin as well.

People get over-hyped about a player like this, and yet undervalue what someone like Del Zotto does for the team. I'm not alone in thinking DZ was MUCH improved in his own zone last year, but lost all confidence in his offense. That was the real reason why he was demoted, to get the confidence back and to be able to get 20+ minutes of ice time and not kill a teams PP that was looking to make the playoffs. MDZ will break out this season, mark my words.

I don't know about MDZ. I remember one game where he was responsible for blowing coverage on 4 goals. Without those 4 goals, we give up the fewest goals in the Eastern Conference.

He was competent at times, but there were some brutal games. After he gave up the 4th of those goals, you could see it written all over his face that he knew that he wasn't doing well.

If MDZ improves his defense to where it's competent and scores 45-50 points per season, he will be a valuable defenseman. If he scores over 50 points, he'll be a huge part of the team.

I have big hopes for him.

Old
07-23-2011, 12:14 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
yet another part of it is the fact that the vast, vast majority have seen little to no actual play from him, and have this desire for him to turn into a late-round steal. Imaginations running wild.

This is true not just for him. I've been meaning to say this in prior posts, but I couldn't word it well, and thank you for doing it.

It seems like with non-blue chip prospects, the less fans know, the more they value a prospect because they let their imagination run wild.

Thus for instances, if we have two big guys with limited skill and one is close to being a 4th liner while the other is still in juniors, the fans will overwhelming pick the guy in juniors, even though he has almost no chance of being more than a 4th liner and will likely be the next Justin Soryal.

Old
07-23-2011, 12:23 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
he obviously showed SOMETHING at the prospect camp for the Rangers to want to sign him. I just don't see him having a chance in hell of making the team out of camp.

A team gets 50 NHL contracts - 23 of them are on the Rangers, another 23 in Hartford. That's 46 with 4 NHL contracts given to ECHLers.

But the reality is that several players in Hartford will be on minor league contracts. JAM, Kale Kerbashian, Oren Eizenman, etc are on minor league contracts for whatever reason. That means that there are at least a half a dozen guys in the ECHL with NHL contracts.

Now let's consider only the guys in the NHL and the top-9F/top-4D AHLers. That's 36 guys total, maybe fewer if guys on minor league contracts make the top-9F/top-4D. That allows for 14+ guys who are either ECHLers or garbage AHLers.

Getting an NHL contract is nothing special.

Old
07-23-2011, 12:31 AM
Barnaby

edit: nvm

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 02:28 AM
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
Some people have unrealistic expectations for a player like Pashnin. He will not be on the team out of camp unless he absolutely blows the organization out of the water. Doubt he does. Erixon has played in a top league and succeeded much more than Pashnin.
This. Exact.
Pashnin is a very average player in the KHL, I never understood all the buzz around him and I don't really think he's gonna last in the NHL, given that he'll ever play [more than a 3-game stint]. To be frank, even Valentenko is - imho - a superior player, and he's not quite the force in the NHL (he wasn't in the KHL either, tho).

07-23-2011, 02:31 AM
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Also proves that people don't know what the KHL draft is about.
I would roughly compare the KHL draft to the CHL Import Draft. Most of the picks are people who either confirmed they're gonna report or they will defect to N. America. Other picks are crapshoots (like KHL teams drafting Huberdau/Pajaarvi and CHL teams drafting Kovalchuk/Filatov).

Alessandro Seren Rosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 02:35 AM
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff

I would also add that I love people who compares him to Kasparaitis. Maybe many of you don't remember, but Kasparaitis, before getting to N. America, won an Olympic Gold Medal, while I would say that Pashnin and I don't have many different chances to play the Olympics with Team Russia...with all the due respect

Alessandro Seren Rosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 03:39 AM
Garl

Comparing Kasparaitis to Shane O'Brien was pretty funny aswell.

Pashnin has zero chances to make the team this year. Maybe they see some potential in him, but in KHL he was average at best.

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 06:26 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Players drafted after Pashnin in the 2009 KHL draft (it was not a dispersal draft)

Magnus Paajarvi
Erik Karlsson
Mattias Tedenby
Mikael Granlund
Zach Kassian
Jacob Josefson
Erik Gundbranson
Viktor Hedman
Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Taylor Hall

surely he's better than all of these guys
All Swedes and North Americans who were very unlikely to show up at a KHL training camp. Real shots in the dark.

The thing is most if not all European teams have a club system that brings kids along from a very early age. Someone like Erixon would have been property of the Skelleftea team much earlier than 17-18. Just being raised in Skelleftea made him a Skelleftea player. The draft Pashnin found himself in was for unafiliated players or players without a team. So his being chosen first in that draft was not the big deal that some would make it out to be.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 06:30 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro Seren Rosso View Post
I would also add that I love people who compares him to Kasparaitis. Maybe many of you don't remember, but Kasparaitis, before getting to N. America, won an Olympic Gold Medal, while I would say that Pashnin and I don't have many different chances to play the Olympics with Team Russia...with all the due respect
The Rangers have been impressed with him two development camps in a row--and apparently they see a player they want to sign. Their take is he's more a NA style player than a European style player. Maybe it works out in the end--maybe it doesn't--but I do agree he's going to need more work and improvement.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 06:36 AM
JimmyStart*

I've always thought he'd be an AHL guy with the potential to maybe do something 2-4 years away if we trade/fail to re sign guys like Vtak, Kundratek and guys like MDZ don't work out AND we don't really get any other D men ready. In other words I'm excited to thin about him panning out but realistic about it. He's made an impression we'll get to see more of him this year.

Also I hope MDZ finds his O again too. His passing and vision was amazing his rookie year

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 07:48 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
Comparing Kasparaitis to Shane O'Brien was pretty funny aswell.

Pashnin has zero chances to make the team this year. Maybe they see some potential in him, but in KHL he was average at best.
Im guessing you are referring to me. Reading comprehension is your friend.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote