HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Red Wings sign Ty Conklin to one-year contract worth $750k

Old
07-21-2011, 08:46 AM
Harnessed in Slums

vCash: 500
From what I've read it sounded like both teams offered the same salary. With the Caps Vokoun was assured the starter spot. So it's not a surprise he signed with them. Is that really that difficult to accept?

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 10:09 AM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by icKx View Post
Offered? No, but he should have said either goalie could earn it.
How do you know he didn't? Say Detroit says, "you might have a chance of earning the starting gig, should Howard slip," and Washington says, "you are the starter." Still looks like a better opportunity with the latter option. I think the only way Detroit nabs Vokoun is by telling him he'll be the starter.

Quote:
Why is everyone so concerned about Jimmy Howard's feelings? We're trying to win a Stanley Cup, or so I thought.
The Cup is indeed the goal. I don't care about Howard's feelings, at least not outside of a potential team impact.

Howard is a guy the Wings have invested a lot of time in. He's 27. He has earned some rope, given his past playoff.

Vokoun is 35. He has less than half the playoff experience Howard has.

I really like Vokoun, and under different circumstances I'd be in favor of him coming to Detroit, but I don't see how he is a clear upgrade right now, and he appears to be a clear downgrade for the future, given his age. Too much risk for too little reward.

The grass really is always greener I guess.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 01:22 PM
icKx
What now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
Is that really that difficult to accept?
Nope.

> Someone asks 'what would have been a "spectacular" backup signing?'

> I say 'getting Vokoun'.

>The mob hears 'Holland screwed up' and 'Howard isn't good enough'.

icKx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 01:45 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

I like how Nabokov, who apparently looked awful last year in both the KHL and the World Championships (I didn't see him play so I can't comment first-hand), would have been a "spectacular" backup signing just because he's a "brand name" who had some great seasons a few years ago and used to be a starter.

I actually liked Nabokov as a goaltender and thought he was unfairly scapegoated for San Jose's playoff failures so they could circle the wagons around Jumbo Splash and Marleau, but at this point there's no way of knowing if he's the same goaltender or if his game has completely fallen off a cliff. What Holland tried to do with him last season was a nice move given the context of when it happened and the cost associated with it, but not having him for this season is no great loss.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 02:12 PM
Frozen Fiend
DOUBLE D

vCash: 50
My favorite Nabokov memory...

I would have liked Nabokov as a back up, but i'm equally happy with Ty.

Frozen Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 03:13 PM
detredWINgs

Great price tag. Love having our goaltending locked up for $3M.

Great prices on Conklin, White, Howard, and Eaves. I'll never believe this "banking on potential" bit with Ericsson, however. Big E has to have nude photos of Holland somewhere in his closet.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 03:42 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by icKx View Post
Nope.

> Someone asks 'what would have been a "spectacular" backup signing?'

> I say 'getting Vokoun'.

>The mob hears 'Holland screwed up' and 'Howard isn't good enough'.
Funny that you neglected to add key parts of that conversation.

If you think Vokoun would have been a spectacular back-up signing, and you believe that there was a way Holland could have got him but failed to do so.... how is that not a criticism of Holland?

The irony of a member of the group of people out after Holland calling others "the mob" did not go unnoticed

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 05:27 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

I also have to laugh at the logic of Vokoun being a "spectacular backup signing" when the only way he would have signed is if he had been guaranteed he wouldn't (at least automatically) be the backup.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 05:42 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
I also have to laugh at the logic of Vokoun being a "spectacular backup signing" when the only way he would have signed is if he had been guaranteed he wouldn't (at least automatically) be the backup.
Sweet. Then Howard can be the spectacular backup and Vokoun can start

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 10:23 AM
vannzee
Ruslan Salei fan...

I am glad that we did not sign Vokoun. Yes he is a upper level starting goalie but the future of our organization between the pipes is Jimmy Howard. Howard's confidence has to be at a all time high from the playoffs. Why mess with that by bringing in a clear threat for his job? We really need Howard to be successful and if he falls on his face then look at the trade market, but as of now nothing is suggesting that he will fail, imo. Vokoun wanted to start anyways. Mike Smith and Jose Therodore would have made sense as they have been pure backups before, not guys who are starting level (although Smith can play that role for awhile).

I am not a fan of the Conklin signing and not because he replaces Osgood but rather because I think that at this point Joey McDonald is the better of the two, but I guess having them both doesnt hurt. Having Mcdonald as our AHL goalie can be a blessing, while Pearce/McCollum and Larsson dont have me inspired.

The guy I wanted this off-season to perhaps couple with Howard, and McDonald was Brian Elliott who signed a two way with St. Louis.

I am happy with our goalie situation. I certainly do not think it will be our biggest issue when camp starts, not even close.

vannzee is offline   Reply With Quote