HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers to trade Zuccarello ?

Old
07-23-2011, 10:36 AM
Glennsoe
Horndog

vCash: 500
Rangers to trade Zuccarello ?

Biggest news paper in Norway reports that Rangers are looking to trade him away...

So I went to the source they listed and this is what they say;

link; http://allehanda.se/start/harnosand/...lo-hanger-lost

Google translated it comes out;

Quote:
Expectations Mats Zuccarello - who signed a lucrative two-year contract worth upwards of 22 million kronor with the New York Rangers last year - were sky-high before last season.

- He made a great Olympic tournament and has been the elite series' best player the last two seasons. He probably would have won the league points the first season too if it were not for that ankle injury that caused him to miss about 20 games, said the club's chief scout Anders Hedberg in an interview with the sport and added:

- We have not recruited him because he will play in the fourth chain or slowly matched via the Farm Team, but expect him to take a seat in one of our two top chains at once.

It did, however, not really for the 23-year-old Norwegian, who had problems with the transition to small rink and spent much of the season in the Farm Team Connecticut Whale.

To encounter it, he broke the one hand during a game against the Portland Pirates in the Calder Cup finals and was forced to decline the World Cup.

Now examine general manager Glen Sather - who has an abundance of forwards and need to free up space under the salary cap to sign contracts Ryan Callahan and Brandon Dubinsky and strengthen back set - as reported to the gate potential to change him.

Teammates Erik Christensen and Wojtek Wolski also said to hang loose.

We have sought in vain Mats Zuccarello Aasen and his agent Erik Ryman for comment.
Basicly it says that Zuc, EC and Wolski are on the block...

Anyone else heard about this ?

Sorry if I'm out of line starting a thread about this, so I hope it doesn't turn ugly..

Norway out...

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 10:39 AM
nyrleetch

I don't think we trade him. I feel we should and will give him at least one more year to perform.

nyrleetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 10:40 AM
ruckus*

I think we talked about this. It's not surprising. If there's a deal that makes sense out there for both teams you do it. If he doesn't play consistently this year he's going to sign elsewhere anyway next season. Might as well get something for him.

Personally I would like to see Zucca with a regular shift to start the season. If he has worked at all on the other aspects of his game I think his type of offensive ability on the third line could be huge depth for us. That type of offensive ability isn't found everywhere. It's the rest of his game that needs work.

I also don't want Wolski gone yet either. Too much talent and no reason IMO to move either of them at this point. Let both try and prove what they got in contract years. With their talent, just one of them playing great hockey makes us that much better.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 10:43 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Sounds like pure speculation to me.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 10:57 AM
xxxZENxxx

I doubt any of the three (Zuc, WW, EC) are part of the future of this team, so it is not surprising... even if speculation.

* EC - he is a affordable and because of that (even if I hate saying it)... he is the prototypical 13th forward. Think about it, if BR got hurt, is there any other player that could hypothetically fill in for a game or 2 and do okay? He doesn't seem to do well consistently, but you at least he can produce on a short-term basis. Now I am going to punch myself for saying something nice about EC. That being said, if someone offers more than a 5th, you have to consider it.

* Wolski - of the 3, WW (by far) has the most potential. If they could somehow get this kid's head and work habits straightened out, then he could easily put up a tremendous season. There are a lot of good guys on this team that work hard, so I wouldn't underestimate their influence on a player like Wolski IF he is willing to change. SO MUCH TALENT. That being said, if you can get something good (top prospect or 1st/2nd rounder) for him, you move him and his salary.

* Zuc - he is the toughest to figure out. He is a TREMENDOUS playmaker, but he just could not put the puck in the net. He also got brutalized on the ice by other team's top lines as well as much physically larger players. Will he overcome that? I am just not sure, which is why you probably have to move him (Detroit maybe?) if someone offers a 2nd or higher.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Could have sworn I saw this exact thread like 5 days ago. Anyway, I really doubt Zuccs would be the one to go. He should good things for the first 15-20 games he was up. I'm betting on him being in better shape this season, and being able to be more consistent, and hopefully stronger on the puck.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
beastly115

Wouldn't surprise me to see any of those 3 traded at this point. But at the same time, I wouldn't mind any of them on the team for another year.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 10:58 AM
bscharf

If underhill does to zucc what she did to boyle then he can easily be a 15-20 goal scorer. the kid has the raw talent. no reason to sell low.

bscharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 10:58 AM
Declan
HFB Partner

Considering that his cap hit is $1.75M and he's unlikely to crack the top nine forwards in the Rangers lineup for the upcoming season it's really not that surprising if the report is true. However, I don't think that the newspaper has any actual knowledge at this point, it's just speculation about a move that seems fairly logical given the numbers and the chances of Zuccarello getting a significant amount of playing time in the NHL this season.

Just posted some more on the blog

Declan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 11:03 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
I doubt any of the three (Zuc, WW, EC) are part of the future of this team, so it is not surprising... even if speculation.

* EC - he is a affordable and because of that (even if I hate saying it)... he is the prototypical 13th forward. Think about it, if BR got hurt, is there any other player that could hypothetically fill in for a game or 2 and do okay? He doesn't seem to do well consistently, but you at least he can produce on a short-term basis. Now I am going to punch myself for saying something nice about EC. That being said, if someone offers more than a 5th, you have to consider it.

* Wolski - of the 3, WW (by far) has the most potential. If they could somehow get this kid's head and work habits straightened out, then he could easily put up a tremendous season. There are a lot of good guys on this team that work hard, so I wouldn't underestimate their influence on a player like Wolski IF he is willing to change. SO MUCH TALENT. That being said, if you can get something good (top prospect or 1st/2nd rounder) for him, you move him and his salary.

* Zuc - he is the toughest to figure out. He is a TREMENDOUS playmaker, but he just could not put the puck in the net. He also got brutalized on the ice by other team's top lines as well as much physically larger players. Will he overcome that? I am just not sure, which is why you probably have to move him (Detroit maybe?) if someone offers a 2nd or higher.
Excellent analysis, Zen.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 11:08 AM
Declan
HFB Partner

I don't see anyone trading for Wolski. Teams know if Sather needs to dispose of him he's a potential buy out and then can then re-sign him as a UFA. I guess this is true with any player but it seems that speculation has been for at least the past month or so that there's a good possibility of Sather buying out Wolski

Declan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 11:12 AM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

We won't. Zuccarello helped bring many valuable Norwegian fans. I like Norwegian people, they're cool. Zucca stays.

That Stepan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 11:20 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
the guy is 3 feet tall and is nothing special.. he is a nice story but he will never score 20 nhl goals in a season with his size sorry but who cares really

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 11:33 AM
ck20

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
the guy is 3 feet tall and is nothing special.. he is a nice story but he will never score 20 nhl goals in a season with his size sorry but who cares really
Yea, those short players like Gionta and St. Louis are god awful, I'm not sure why they still try to stick around the league.

ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 11:35 AM
Mikos87

I think people are forgetting that Zuchs is going to be playing on the big ice again this preseason, so I definitely expect to see a lot of support in his corner when the time comes, since he will be in a comfortable area and have his off season work pay off.

He made it hard for himself playing with a long stick and constantly having to reach last season, he's got a great set of hands so I think a shorter stick with some nifty foot work, I definitively think that he will become a solid player on Stepans wing.

Zuchs does not have the starving artist vibe that Wolski gives off, or the weird whatever the eff EC goes through, he's a skilled guy that was streaky last season. When he was confident he was producing the points, I think it's all a matter of confidence and comfort with Zuchs, and a 24 yearold player who was the best player in the SEL the two years before he was year is someone who I think can make a play, consistently.

Mikos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 11:39 AM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Yeah, half of a season is a long enough time to come to this conclusion.

I think Ola said it best, you really need to give a guy at least two years to see what he really has got. Zuccs showed quite a bit last year, there is no reason to think he can't improve on it.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 11:46 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I really want to see him get another solid look. He has great skills and needs to figure out the NHL. Too soon to give up on such a talented kid. If nothing else he was $$$$ in the shootout which is, like it or not, a game changer in the regular season.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 11:47 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Once again.

MZA played with the rookie Derek Stepan and the enigmatic Wojtek Wolski for much of his season last year. He scored almost at the same PPG pace Stepan did over his 42 game span.

We need to give him more than half a season to decide if he's NHL ready or not. For one i'm sure as **** glad we had him on the roster or else we possibly wouldn't have made the playoffs.

He's better and has much more potential than Christensen.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 11:48 AM
NYRangers16

He was on pace for 11-33-44 (he had 6-17-23 in 42 games) last year...his first in the NHL. For a team looking for talented players, you'd think it would make sense to hold onto a guy like that. If he were a hyped rookie we'd all be clamoring for him to get more ice time. He has the talent, and if we ever hope to develop some legit top 6 scoring talent we really have to get over this notion that every player on the team has to be like Cally and Dubi. You need balance ...a team of Dubis wont be as good as a team of Dubis and Gabbys. Everybody has a role to play, and as much as people don't want to admit this, every team needs scorers..guys who are talented, might not have much size or play physically, but who can flat out make plays. MZA could very well develop into a guy like that, and if we give up on him too early we'll be kicking ourselves. Remember, we're looking for a 2LW ...so why would we trade our two best bets to be one this year (in Wolski and MZA)?

Besides, MZA on the 3rd line would give us some nice scoring depth...

Dubi-BR-Gabby
Wolski-Stepan-Cally
Boyle-Anisimov-MZA
Feds-Rupp-Prust

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 11:52 AM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
I really want to see him get another solid look. He has great skills and needs to figure out the NHL. Too soon to give up on such a talented kid. If nothing else he was $$$$ in the shootout which is, like it or not, a game changer in the regular season.
Seriously. I really hope that Zuccarello makes the posters on this board that are willing to dump him look like idiots, just like Boyle did to his detractors last year.

azrok22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 11:56 AM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Don't really want to give up on Zuccarello after a mere 42 NHL games; it's not as if he didn't produce in those games. He played at a >40 point pace in half a season. I'm not the biggest believer in pro-rated statistics, but he did show me enough on the ice to give him a chance over a full season. We're not dealing with a Wolski/Christensen, here; Zuccarello is a motivated, smart kid. No reason to move him for what we would be a minimal return at best.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 12:01 PM
xxxZENxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Excellent analysis, Zen.
Thanks, Brooklyn.

Old
07-23-2011, 12:05 PM
xxxZENxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Once again.

MZA played with the rookie Derek Stepan and the enigmatic Wojtek Wolski for much of his season last year. He scored almost at the same PPG pace Stepan did over his 42 game span.

We need to give him more than half a season to decide if he's NHL ready or not. For one i'm sure as **** glad we had him on the roster or else we possibly wouldn't have made the playoffs.

He's better and has much more potential than Christensen.
What is interesting here is that I thought Wolski's play tailed off because Zuc and Step both started to hit the wall respectively.

Old
07-23-2011, 12:05 PM
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!

Cant trade away a talent like Zuccs just yet. He's only been here for 1 season for God's sake. Gotta give him another year and we will see then. I'm certain he makes the roster next season.

Thats a bold thing to say, wow, but its out in the open now. I feel as though a weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

MrAlmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 12:07 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
What is interesting here is that I thought Wolski's play tailed off because Zuc and Step both started to hit the wall respectively.
It's possible, but I think Wolski himself became a little more uninvolved himself as well. They started off red hot though and it would be great if that line could regain its chemistry if they play together.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote