HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

An international Blueshirt Bulletin subscriber needs help

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-23-2011, 08:19 AM
  #1
King of cool
The winning hat
 
King of cool's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Under your skin
Country: France
Posts: 2,001
vCash: 500
An international Blueshirt Bulletin subscriber needs help

I hope the moderation staff won't mind if I post this here. I'm not opening this thread for the sake of it. Here's the thing. I've been a BB subscriber for more than 2 years now. Everything was fine, I received the bulletin each month. Really nothing to be concerned about. I really like the magazine, good stuff, good analysis, prospects interviews etc. I can't say it otherwise, I love it.

More than 2 months ago I decided to re-up my subscription for another year. And then the problems began. Apparently BB is experiencing international shipping difficulties. I contacted them and they told me it'll come back to normal soon. I've waited waited and waited again but nothing. Am I the only guy overseas waiting for his bulletin to arrive?

Anyway, after 2 months I decided to ask for a refund while waiting for the shipping issue to be resolved. My idea was to renew my subscription later this year once everything is back to normal. I've been told there was no problem with a refund, that it will be proceeded etc. It's been 2 weeks now I've made this request and I'm still waiting. Last time I was in touch with them, I've been told they were "working on it now". That was 3 days ago.

I've no grudge or any problem with BB, I like the paper and I'd like to stay in good terms with them. I'm not opening this thread to bash the bulletin or anything, really. Hell, I even realized recently I received 2 issues free of charge, I told them I had no problem to pay for them. But as of now, I don't know what to do anymore. Any idea or any feedback from international subscribers would be welcome. I'm really starting to worry.

Thanks for reading.


Last edited by King of cool: 07-23-2011 at 08:27 AM.
King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 09:54 AM
  #2
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta/Abingdon
Country: United States
Posts: 9,655
vCash: 50
IMO, BB went to **** after Dubi stopped doing it and it was purchased by Dan Akeson. I stopped reading it after Dan purchased it.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 10:14 AM
  #3
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,290
vCash: 500
I was a subscriber when it first came out. I let it lapse last year. The material is more or less redundant--or easily attainable through other sources on the internet. It's got to be tough holding a small newspaper like that together--especially in these times.

The other thing is in the mailing cost effectiveness or even the various postal delivery services around the world. USPS is spiraling downwards and as it goes so goes the rest of the world's mailing services. USPS is required because of a bill passed in congress in 2006 to pre and overfund it's FERS and CSRS retirement accounts by multiple billions of dollars--and not just to current retirees but to future retirees. No other entity in the USA has anything like this kind of burden on it. They are losing over $5 billion each and every year just from that and along with the loss in mail volume and its inability to ever strategize effectively as regards the internet or text messaging. It's almost as if our legislative bodies deliberately gave it a case of terminal cancer. Newspaper are taking a big hit as well.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 12:27 PM
  #4
King of cool
The winning hat
 
King of cool's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Under your skin
Country: France
Posts: 2,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolskii View Post
IMO, BB went to **** after Dubi stopped doing it and it was purchased by Dan Akeson. I stopped reading it after Dan purchased it.
I exchanged some e-mails with Dubi when I subscribed the first time. I think the change of editor came some time after that, can't remember exactly when. And I can't compare the 2 BB, since I barely knew BB when Dubi was at the helm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I was a subscriber when it first came out. I let it lapse last year. The material is more or less redundant--or easily attainable through other sources on the internet. It's got to be tough holding a small newspaper like that together--especially in these times.
Yeah, must not be easy to stay competitive with the profusion of news easily reachable on the web today. Personnally, even though I follow the Rangers's news daily (always lurking around here, don't post much though), I like to receive the Bulletin. Writers are no scrubs (Gross, Zip etc.), and it's good to have some hindsight on x or y stuff afterwards.

Quote:
The other thing is in the mailing cost effectiveness or even the various postal delivery services around the world. USPS is spiraling downwards and as it goes so goes the rest of the world's mailing services. USPS is required because of a bill passed in congress in 2006 to pre and overfund it's FERS and CSRS retirement accounts by multiple billions of dollars--and not just to current retirees but to future retirees. No other entity in the USA has anything like this kind of burden on it. They are losing over $5 billion each and every year just from that and along with the loss in mail volume and its inability to ever strategize effectively as regards the internet or text messaging. It's almost as if our legislative bodies deliberately gave it a case of terminal cancer. Newspaper are taking a big hit as well.
Didn't know that USPS was that much in trouble. I'm wondering by how many the international rates increased to put BB in that position. International subscribers are paying $3,50 for a shipping via airmail (per issue).

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 01:12 PM
  #5
frozenrubber
Registered User
 
frozenrubber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 1,951
vCash: 500
I had thought BB had an new-er option for electronic delivery (opposed to physical mailed copies).

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 01:16 PM
  #6
King of cool
The winning hat
 
King of cool's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Under your skin
Country: France
Posts: 2,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
I had thought BB had an new-er option for electronic delivery (opposed to physical mailed copies).
Yeah in addition to the physical paper, a PDF version exists.

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 01:25 PM
  #7
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
I exchanged some e-mails with Dubi when I subscribed the first time. I think the change of editor came some time after that, can't remember exactly when. And I can't compare the 2 BB, since I barely knew BB when Dubi was at the helm.



Yeah, must not be easy to stay competitive with the profusion of news easily reachable on the web today. Personnally, even though I follow the Rangers's news daily (always lurking around here, don't post much though), I like to receive the Bulletin. Writers are no scrubs (Gross, Zip etc.), and it's good to have some hindsight on x or y stuff afterwards.



Didn't know that USPS was that much in trouble. I'm wondering by how many the international rates increased to put BB in that position. International subscribers are paying $3,50 for a shipping via airmail (per issue).
There may be some other reason for your problem Nexus--I'm speculating a bit but things are changing in the mailing and package delivery industry both in the private or publicly run ends and almost none of it is going to be good for the public at large--anywhere. I work for USPS (at least for another 800 days--then I'm retiring) and it's been a cluster f--k for a while in respect to how it does business and the policies it implements whether to it's employees or to its customers. There are some who would like to privatize it but you might as well just magnify the cluster f--k exponentially. It's not meant to be a for profit business. It's designed to reach into every little corner of America whether it's profitable or not. Turning it over to large scale profit motivated businesses would without a doubt cut off much of rural America from any kind of regular mail delivery service. There are many elderly Americans who do not use computers/cell phones etc. and for them USPS is their lifeline communication system. We've really become a special needs service which is a death sentence in itself. As well what happens to USPS turns into a kind of collateral damage to other industries--the printed news media being one. That end of the media is in a big time decline as well. Blueshirt Bulletin is very small scale. Have to wonder if-or how long-it's going to be around.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 01:56 PM
  #8
King of cool
The winning hat
 
King of cool's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Under your skin
Country: France
Posts: 2,001
vCash: 500
Same could be said about our postal service here, offices are being closed one after another in low-density population areas, it's a mess. At a different scale of course, but that's more or less the same issue for a company struggling to compete in today's economy and forced to find other sources of incomes.


Last edited by King of cool: 07-23-2011 at 02:50 PM.
King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 04:19 PM
  #9
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
Same could be said about our postal service here, offices are being closed one after another in low-density population areas, it's a mess. At a different scale of course, but that's more or less the same issue for a company struggling to compete in today's economy and forced to find other sources of incomes.
It's tough. There are posters here on the Rangers board I've read have lost jobs and are currently unemployed. Not fun. I have two kids in college and wonder what their future is going to be like. Not much incentive for companies in the west to create jobs--definitely a dog eat dog world right now.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.