HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Are they joking?

Old
07-21-2011, 09:22 PM
RangerFan10

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
meh, I'm not overwhelmed by our prospects. We have a good system, sure, but I don't think its blasphemy to say we aren't top 10 or 15.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 09:26 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskfamous View Post
I like Erixon and Miller, but I'm not going to set myself up for disappointing results like I did for Grachev and Sanguinetti. Erixon will likely become our 2nd pairing defenseman of the future, #3 guy who can both PK/PP, I was reading the Calgarypuck hockey forum before he was traded and joined a few weeks ago to get more information on him. They fully expected him to become a 2nd pairing defenseman, not one person claimed he'll be on their top pairing, which at the time was Regehr and Bouwmeester. They also said their management has big hopes for TJ Brodie, who was a PPG player in the pre-season and got called up to start the first few games of the season, who knows, maybe the Flames valued Erixon as an expandable asset since their defense core look decent at the moment.

As for Miller, he has proven nothing to indicate he will be a 1st line winger, look at his draft comparision; Mason Raymond. We'll see how he does in Plymouth.

As for Kreider, well this has been beaten to a dead horse so I'll not repeat it. McIlirath is a BIG project player, could end up like Beukeboom or another Huge Specimen.
didnt you hear Piere McQuire? He brings skill and tenacity to the party!

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 07:11 AM
egelband

Its just a feature article and the guy hedges his claim, saying that 10-20 are close. No problem. He might be right. I want the Rangers to continue developing high-quality players. But there's no guarantee. It's good fodder for these kind of boards.

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 11:15 PM
Jxmarts

I can't decide what's worse...

(1) Ranger fans who drink the kool-aid & think it's blasphemy to consider the possibility that one of our prospects is not destined to be a star...

(2) Ranger fans who have no patience for player development and devalue the importance of good drafting & having a pipeline of young talent in the system.

Two extremes... but they're both way too prevalent here.

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 11:55 PM
ColonialsHockey10

1. JT Miller had a dominant U18 tournament and will likely be a top player on the U20 team for US in December, so let's reserve the limited upside comments until we see his stats in the OHL and until we watch him in 6 months. I love how people see adjectives like "gritty", "tenacious" and "physical" and automatically deduct offense from their overall upside, like there is some kind of formula.

2. Tim Erixon. He gets traded to the Rangers and all of a sudden he turns from a bonafide prospect with top pairing potential to a middle pairing defenseman. Sound familiar? Well it should, because we heard the exact same crap with McDonagh, and he looks to be turning out just fine. Not to mention Erixon was a top pairing defenseman at the age of 20 in likely the 3rd hardest league in the world, and much further along in his development then McDonagh. It's not outlandish at all to think he will become a top pairing NHL defenseman very very soon.

3. The Kreider argument has been beaten to death, so I won't delve into it. I'll just say when he has competed against other top prospects, some of which are ranked higher then him, he outshines them by a large margin. Once again, it's not outlandish to think he will be better then Brayden Schenn someday, or even Nazem Kadri.

4. I just listed above why I don't buy into the "top talent" BS, but I think our depth is as good as any team out there. Players like Fastch and Lindberg were just as impressive as Jarnkrok at the WJC, but neither are considered blue chippers like the latter. Thomas, our 2010 2nd round pick, outscored 2010 5th overall pick Nino Neiderreiter by a large margin in juniors (I'd take Nino over Thomas, but the difference in value isn't night and day). McIlrath had an inconsistent season, but has demonstrated the ability to dominate games defensively,and is a top prospect on most teams out there. Hagelin will be in the NHL this season at some point, etc.

It's OK for people to be cautious in overhyping our prospects, but credit should be given where it is due, and for our draft positions since the lockout, you really can't ask for a better outcome. I think HF's ranking of us at #7 is 1000x more accurate then Hockeybuzz putting us at #19.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 09:49 PM
Okposofan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
1. JT Miller had a dominant U18 tournament and will likely be a top player on the U20 team for US in December, so let's reserve the limited upside comments until we see his stats in the OHL and until we watch him in 6 months. I love how people see adjectives like "gritty", "tenacious" and "physical" and automatically deduct offense from their overall upside, like there is some kind of formula.

2. Tim Erixon. He gets traded to the Rangers and all of a sudden he turns from a bonafide prospect with top pairing potential to a middle pairing defenseman. Sound familiar? Well it should, because we heard the exact same crap with McDonagh, and he looks to be turning out just fine. Not to mention Erixon was a top pairing defenseman at the age of 20 in likely the 3rd hardest league in the world, and much further along in his development then McDonagh. It's not outlandish at all to think he will become a top pairing NHL defenseman very very soon.

3. The Kreider argument has been beaten to death, so I won't delve into it. I'll just say when he has competed against other top prospects, some of which are ranked higher then him, he outshines them by a large margin. Once again, it's not outlandish to think he will be better then Brayden Schenn someday, or even Nazem Kadri.

4. I just listed above why I don't buy into the "top talent" BS, but I think our depth is as good as any team out there. Players like Fastch and Lindberg were just as impressive as Jarnkrok at the WJC, but neither are considered blue chippers like the latter. Thomas, our 2010 2nd round pick, outscored 2010 5th overall pick Nino Neiderreiter by a large margin in juniors (I'd take Nino over Thomas, but the difference in value isn't night and day). McIlrath had an inconsistent season, but has demonstrated the ability to dominate games defensively,and is a top prospect on most teams out there. Hagelin will be in the NHL this season at some point, etc.

It's OK for people to be cautious in overhyping our prospects, but credit should be given where it is due, and for our draft positions since the lockout, you really can't ask for a better outcome. I think HF's ranking of us at #7 is 1000x more accurate then Hockeybuzz putting us at #19.
They played in two different leagues and Nino played in 11 less games. I think the difference in skill between the two players is fairly large but that is just me. Our 6th round pick in 2008 had back to back 90 + seasons in the OHL and the kid will probably be no better than an emergency call up.

Okposofan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 12:57 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okposofan21 View Post
They played in two different leagues and Nino played in 11 less games. I think the difference in skill between the two players is fairly large but that is just me. Our 6th round pick in 2008 had back to back 90 + seasons in the OHL and the kid will probably be no better than an emergency call up.
It's not like were comparing the KHL and the SEL, they're both junior leagues and they're the exact same level of competition. The "WHL is more defense oriented" argument holds no weight here, as Portland scored 30 goals more then Oshawa this season. Nino also played on a dominant team alongside Johansen, Ross, Rattie and many more. Nino's stats prorate to still be 15 points less then Thomas.

The difference in skill level is not large, at all. Nino has an NHL body and brings good two way play. If Christian Thomas were 6'2" he'd be a much better prospect then Nino.

As for the comparison to DiBenedetto, Justin was drafted a year later then everyone his age, and failed to improve his overage season in the OHL. Boone Jenner, and Andy Andreoff are no Steve Stamkos as well. The only thing holding Thomas back is his size. He has great speed, the best shot in the OHL, and is a great stickhandler. He is also very solid for his size, added with his shiftiness and it really shouldn't effect him as a pro. What keeps a lot of dominant junior players from being NHL players is some combination of size and skating (see Corey Locke), and Thomas is a very good skater.

Remember I said Nino is the better prospect, no question, but Thomas is no doubt a blue chipper as well at this point in time.

Last edited by ColonialsHockey10: 07-24-2011 at 01:23 AM.
ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote