HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wolski buyout

Old
07-23-2011, 01:30 PM
NewHabsEra*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Lots of speculation with the Rangers only having a little under $6 million left to sign Callahan and a number 6 Dman, they will have to move some cap space to make it all work as they will only have 22 under contract, need to have 23 only roster I believe.

Wolski looks to be bought out, if so he would be worth the risk in Montreal on a one year deal. Only 25 and 6'3" he could be on the 3rd line with Eller and Kostitsyn (making a hell of a third unit), plus he is a top 6 if he comes around too.

Habs surely should be looking at this if he becomes available.
I understand your point, to complement the third line with a skilled guy but to me Wolski has alot of holes in his game, could be compared to Zherdev and Frolov.. So its 1 thing to have high skills set, another to be able to play a solid all around game.. Some people here think Palushaj needs another year in the AHL cause his numbers havent been big enough, personally I say he is ready to be a pretty solid contributor on an offensive oriented third line.. He has grown in the system, is already defensive responsible and solid on the basics, he plays with an edge.. I think its ridiculous to take a risk on a guy like this Wolski when you have Palushaj in your system..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 01:49 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
There is a second buyout period in late July/August if the team has a player that has filed for arbitration or the team elects for arbitration with a player.

Anyway, regarding the actual buyout of Wolski, it doesn't look very likely at this juncture. He isn't an ideal top-6 LW, but given the Rangers' lack of depth at that position (Dubinsky, Wolski, Fedotenko, Rupp is what they're going into the season with), moving Wolski just doesn't make much sense. I don't like him; but I, personally, wouldn't pay him to go away, especially with him being in a contract year. He could put up decent numbers with Anisimov/Callahan.

The Habs don't even need him, really.

As for those comparing him to Kostitsyn; Kostitsyn is a much more involved player than Wolski. From what I've seen, he's actually a pretty damn good hitter. Wolski is scared of his own shadow.
Nice post, Brian Boyle.

I wanted Montreal to draft Wolski way back when, but at this point I'd pass. He's not a terribly involved or tenacious player, which I'd imagine puts him at odds with Tortorella. Supremely talented, though.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 02:43 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I am extremely hesitant to lump Kosty with those two. He has shown more commitment and loyalty to his team, and his fitness level.
Wow a level headed person who doesn't just endlessly bash the guy even though for over a year now he's been a good player

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 02:49 PM
TheBuriedHab

Do people actually watch these players? Hes so soft and inconsistent. I remember when he got traded to the Rags some people here were saying they would have traded AK for him. No Thank you. If we are adding anything to our bottom 6 it better be a faceoff guy or a guy that can fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I am extremely hesitant to lump Kosty with those two. He has shown more commitment and loyalty to his team, and his fitness level.
Yeah, AK has shown more than the other two imo. Under Martin hes becoming a good 2 way player. Hes physical as well. Zherdev is probably a better offensively but Ak's all round game is leaps and bounds ahead of the other 2.

Last edited by TheBuriedHab: 07-23-2011 at 02:57 PM.
TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 02:57 PM
habamillions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
He's not bottom 6 material and he's not good enough for our top 6. No need for him in the slightest.
theres a reason why hes been on 3 teams in as many years hes lazy and doesnt care very much and he doesnt use that size

habamillions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 04:31 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
I understand your point, to complement the third line with a skilled guy but to me Wolski has alot of holes in his game, could be compared to Zherdev and Frolov.. So its 1 thing to have high skills set, another to be able to play a solid all around game.. Some people here think Palushaj needs another year in the AHL cause his numbers havent been big enough, personally I say he is ready to be a pretty solid contributor on an offensive oriented third line.. He has grown in the system, is already defensive responsible and solid on the basics, he plays with an edge.. I think its ridiculous to take a risk on a guy like this Wolski when you have Palushaj in your system..
Frolov is actually a pretty good defensive player.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 11:14 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Nice post, Brian Boyle.

I wanted Montreal to draft Wolski way back when, but at this point I'd pass. He's not a terribly involved or tenacious player, which I'd imagine puts him at odds with Tortorella. Supremely talented, though.
There were question marks about him in the draft, some were about his game and others about his attitude as I believe he may have gotten in trouble off the ice.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 11:32 PM
Roulin

IMO Wolski would be a decent replacement (upgrade) for Pouliot. I think Darche would become the 13th forward, assuming no injuries.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 11:35 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
If you have a choice of Zherdev, Wolski or other option, which would you take ?
Zherdev no doubt. Much more skilled and even more physical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
IMO Wolski would be a decent replacement (upgrade) for Pouliot. I think Darche would become the 13th forward, assuming no injuries.
Not really. Wolski is a downgrade compared to Pouliot. Pouliot could at least fight and hit. Wolski is a *****.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 11:41 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Not really. Wolski is a downgrade compared to Pouliot. Pouliot could at least fight and hit. Wolski is a *****.
Really, your reason for employing Benoit Pouliot is for him to hit and fight? I'm having trouble believing that one.

If I have Pouliot or Wolski on my team, it's for even strength offence. Depth scoring. Wolski has done that job better and more consistently over his career.

Old
07-24-2011, 02:50 AM
KareyPrice

Quote:
Really, your reason for employing Benoit Pouliot is for him to hit and fight? I'm having trouble believing that one.

If I have Pouliot or Wolski on my team, it's for even strength offence. Depth scoring. Wolski has done that job better and more consistently over his career.
Yeah but Pouliot was drafted higher

KareyPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 07:01 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Pouliot was already replaced by Kostitsyn, who was replaced by Cole.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 08:51 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
Pouliot was already replaced by Kostitsyn, who was replaced by Cole.
I assume you mean SKostitsyn -> Pouliot -> Cole?

The way I see things, another top line forward is a job the Habs been looking to fill for a while, unsuccessfully. Cole should be that guy.

Sergei and Pouliot (when used) were complimentary middle 6'ers. That's a role I think Wolski can play effectively. He is somewhat overpaid for the role, but the Habs also have this extra cap room, they seem to have limited options to spend it, and he is only signed for a year, so there's some flexibility. If you take money out of the conversation, he is a shoe-in to add more offense than Darche or Trotter.

Old
07-24-2011, 09:17 AM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
There were question marks about him in the draft, some were about his game and others about his attitude as I believe he may have gotten in trouble off the ice.
He was charged with assault, but the charges ended up getting dropped.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 10:17 AM
CTHabsfan

Bring in Wolski AND Drury, sign Kovalev, and trade for Komisarek. Let the good times roll!

CTHabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 10:22 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Here's the way you have to look at things,

Can he add more offense in a top 6 role than; Cammalleri, Cole, Pacioretty, Gionta?
My answer is no.

Can he add more defensive game in a bottom 6 role than; White, Moen, Darche, Kostitsyn, Eller, Desharnais?
Again, my answer is no.

Therefor, I would pass. At 25 years old and 6'3, 205 lbs, the build is definitely something the Habs could use, but he was way too inconsistent for my liking. Some nights, he could single handedly win a hockey game for his team. Sadly, some nights like that come, at most, 5-6 times a year. The rest of the year, he's missing in action.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 10:23 AM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
For what it's worth, Larry Brooks reported this morning that the Rangers will NOT be buying Wolski out. So...yeah.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 10:33 AM

Would anyone here risk signing Zherdev to a 1 year deal for the 3rd line?

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 10:37 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
For what it's worth, Larry Brooks reported this morning that the Rangers will NOT be buying Wolski out. So...yeah.
Can you post an audio snippet or an article where that is said, for confirmation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Would anyone here risk signing Zherdev to a 1 year deal for the 3rd line?
Absolutely not. He did well for Philly because he was able to adapt to their physical style of play and throw hits. Under Martin's system, his defensive game is not up to par with who the Habs have now and he doesn't have much of a shot at the top 6 either.

Plus, aren't there now rumors of him going to the KHL?

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 10:41 AM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...#ixzz1T17txaSW

Quote:
Blue Jackets, who have lost top-six winger Kristian Huselius (torn pectoral muscle) for months, appear to be waiting to see whether the Rangers buy out Wojtek Wolski following the resolution of Ryan Callahan’s contract negotiations, but sources report that doesn’t appear to be in the Blueshirts’ blueprint.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 01:13 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

It'd be like the Pouliot experiment again. A guy with talent, but who can't really convince a coaching staff that he has his game together enough to hold down a defined role. But the talent does mean you might get something for him as an asset, at some point. Maybe. (We didn't for Pouliot, though). I'm not against the idea of signing an "asset value" player to round out the roster, if he isn't likely to be a disruptive presence. I don't see how Wolski would be disruptive. He's just another wild card likely to amount to nothing. Some team with a more defined need will offer him more money. But in the event he was there for $600k or something, it's not my money and I'd be happy to convert that $600k into a 5th round pick when some team became desperate enough to gamble on all that talent and upside in mid-season. I understand how the real bean counters wouldn't care for that tradeoff, however.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 01:38 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Some people dont grow up until they are 25 plus. Having a high powered third line to throw out would be amazing. Having a skilled third line would set this team apart. Both are worth a shot as they may mature but its unlikely thay would be signed considering the SK, Pouliot, and Ribiero histories

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 02:37 PM
neofury*

A valid point and at a 1 yr deal I don't see the problem with trying.

That having been said though I think there are other needs that 5 million will have to address first. If Wolski wants an NHL contract after that buyout it's league minimum x 1 year.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 04:21 PM
Ginu

Wolski can also play center. I'd take him over Zherdev.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 04:24 PM
shello
@WShello9

I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Habs sweater if he's cheap and it's a 1-2 year deal

shello is offline   Reply With Quote