HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Prospect Poll: #24

View Poll Results: Who is the #24 Rangers prospect?
Jason Wilson 14 37.84%
Danny Hobbs 0 0%
Tommy Grant 0 0%
Jyri Niemi 10 27.03%
Cameron Talbot 9 24.32%
Peter Ceresnak 4 10.81%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-23-2011, 01:53 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Rangers Prospect Poll: #24

Fifth rounder Samuel Noreau won round 23. RW Danny Hobbs will be added to our poll.

Don't forget to write-in who should be added in the next round. Also would be good to include a discussion/argument on why you voted for a particular prospect.

TOP PROSPECTS

1. LW Chris Kreider
2. D Ryan McDonagh
3. D Tim Erixon
4. RW Christian Thomas
5. D Dylan McIlrath
6. LW Mats Zuccarello
7. LW J.T. Miller
8. LW Carl Hagelin
9. RW Jesper Fasth
10. D Pavel Valentenko

SECOND-TIER PROSPECTS

11. C Oscar Lindberg
12. D Tomas Kundratek
13. LW Ryan Bourque
14. C Andrew Yogan
15. C Steven Fogarty
16. RW Shane McColgan
17. C Michael St. Croix
18. RW Dale Weise
19. D Mikhail Pashnin
20. D Blake Parlett

SUSPECTS & PROJECTS

21. RW Andreas Thuresson
22. G Scott Stajcer
23. D Samuel Noreau

Samuel Noreau
Defense
Born Jan 31 1993 -- Montreal, PQ
Height 6.04 -- Weight 210 -- Shoots R

2010-11 Baie-Comeau Drakkar QMJHL 67 5 5 10 141

"Very mobile and very skilled [Samuel Noreau is] 6-5 and really tough."
- Gordie Clark

"Noreau is a 6-5, 215-pound tough-as-nails punisher who doesn’t have much in the way of high-end skill, but has the size and nastiness to be a shutdown guy in time. He’s not a bad skater, though needs to work on his lateral movement and pivots/turns like many big players on D. This dude can really fight, too. With his size and strength, he ragdolls guys and stands in and throws them against the tougher comers/enforcers in the QMJHL."
- Bruins Draft Watch

Last edited by Beacon: 07-24-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 01:54 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

LW JASON WILSON

Tough, banging winger projected to play on the bottom two lines as a physical player who can hopefully add some offense.

"Wilson is going to surprise some people. He can really play.”
-Gordie Clark

RW DANNY HOBBS

Played on the UMass first line and led his team in points (28), power-play points (12), and plus-minus rating (plus-4). He also tied for the team lead in goals (12) and power-play goals (5), and finished second in both assists (16), and shots on goal (97). Was an All-Star in USHL when he played there. Will UMass co-captain next season.

"We could see some skill (before drafting Hobbs). We obviously always saw his strength and his hard work, and when he went into the USHL All-Star Game, he probably scored one of the most beautiful goals in that game... He came to our camp (next year), and he was one of the best conditioned athletes at the camp. He really has a lot of strength... We always knew he had some ability and he had hands. It has just taken until his junior year to get ice time to show his stuff, and he was able to do it. Once he started getting the ice time, he just ran with it and got better and better."
- Gordie Clark

LW TOMMY GRANT

"He is able to really control the puck. This guy never wants to dump it in. He's very good with his hands in carrying it up the ice and making plays. He has some offense to his game in passing the puck and carrying the puck... It's just about adjusting the pace of his game to the pro game, and that's why it was important to get him into Connecticut at the end of the year. Now he's seen the size and the strength of the players at that level, and he knows what he has to do to over the summer to be ready to come back for his first year of pro."
- Gordie Clark

"The Connecticut coaches saw the offensive upside, and they saw some speed and some hands. And for an offensive guy, he was good in his own end. He's also very competitive, and they were pretty excited about that."
- Jeff Gorton

D JYRI NIEMI

Good size at 6-3 206 pounds and an excellent shot, clocked at 97 mph at the Top Prospects Competition. Played good quality hockey as a 4-5 defenseman in Hartford as a 20-year-old. Captain of the finnish U20 national team. Physical and while he fights rarely, can hold his own in a fight.

"A very good defensive prospect... We got to see a lot of Niemi last season because of Sam Klassen who was Niemi's teammate on the Blades. Niemi is more an offensive minded defender who does need some work but his potential makes it worth the effort to work with him... [trading him for a 6th round pick] is a bad move by the Islanders and a very good move by the Rangers."
- The Prospect Park in 2010

G CAMERON TALBOT

Goalie with good size on a weak team. Did for his college team what Lundqvist did in his early days: keep a bad team in the game, giving them a chance. Dominated at every level he played at, though he was always in rather weak places (OPJHL, College Hockey America). Almost defeated the top ranked Miami-Ohio while backstopping the very weak UofA team.

"He has size and the athleticism we like, and he was able to keep a very weak team competitive... I told our scout I expected them to get spanked in the game, but they won," said Clark. "They won it and got to go to the NCAA tournament, so I sent another couple guys in to watch him. They got beat in that second game, but in both games, they were in it... Benoit (Allaire) really likes him."
- Gordie Clark

D PETER CERESNAK

A very physical defenseman who needs to improve his skating and his positioning. Hits everything that moves. The Rangers traded just to draft him.

Last edited by Beacon: 07-24-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old
07-23-2011, 01:55 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Prospects potentially left to potentially be added:

Lee Baldwin, D
Greg Beller, LW
Stu Bickel, D
Chris Chappell, LW
Tysen Dowzak, D
Eric Hunter, LW
Sam Klassen, D
David Kveton, RW
Matt McCue, LW
Jason Missiaen, G
Roman Psurny, LW
David Skokan, C
Lukas Zeliska, C

Last edited by Beacon: 07-23-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old
07-23-2011, 01:56 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Voting for Niemi.

- Third round pick.
- 6'3 206 pounds.
- Decent puck moving skills, hits and plays defense
- Established himself as a very solid AHL defenseman at the age of only 20.
- Captain of the very solid Finnish team at the World Junior Championship.

As far as I am concerned, anyone who at the age of 20 can play quality hockey in the AHL after being one of the top junior players in a country with a strong hockey program definitely deserves to be in our top-25, probably not as late as he is listed.

Add Jason Missiaen. Played on very bad teams, but has enormous size and got good experience getting fired at as other teams dominating his.

Last edited by Beacon: 07-23-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old
07-23-2011, 02:12 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I hope it's not Jason Wilson taking one of the last two spots. The guy was not ready to play in the AHL or on an ECHL top line, so they sent him back to juniors to be an overager (which, with rare exception, is a sign that the player won't even be a decent AHLer, much less NHLer) and then he was #8 in scoring on a junior team despite being the oldest guy on the team.

If he can't dominate children when he's an overager, how do you expect him to play in the NHL? Or even the AHL for that matter. For the love of God, stay away from Jason Wilson.

Old
07-23-2011, 02:21 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Voting for Jason Wilson. I'm not high at all on Niemi. Just don't think he has the wheels to be in the NHL. If you're gonna be an offensive defenseman in the NHL, you need to have the foot speed to get back in position.

Add Missiaen, at this point I think he's the last one left that has any shot of becoming anything in the NHL, unless Max Campbell plays some impressive hockey in Hartford this upcoming season.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 02:22 PM
TheRedViper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
I hope it's not Jason Wilson taking one of the last two spots. The guy was not ready to play in the AHL or on an ECHL top line, so they sent him back to juniors to be an overager (which, with rare exception, is a sign that the player won't even be a decent AHLer, much less NHLer) and then he was #8 in scoring on a junior team despite being the oldest guy on the team.

If he can't dominate children when he's an overager, how do you expect him to play in the NHL? Or even the AHL for that matter. For the love of God, stay away from Jason Wilson.
Scoring isn't his game...
If he makes the NHL it'll be as a 4th liner that can drop the gloves, agitate, and chip in on offence occasionally. Prust style game.

He doesn't need to dominate juniors offensively for him to make
it to the NHL as that type of player.

TheRedViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 02:24 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:

I don't think he has much of a shot either, but I'm still voting for him. It's mostly because of the fact that I have little faith in the rest of the players available to be voted for. I'd actually vote for Missiaen if he was on the list right now. I gave my reasons for not voting for Niemi above, Hobbs is definitely not going to ever whiff the NHL, and Ceresnak is a total unknown at this point.

And I know absolutely nothing about Tommy Grant. HF has him as 7.0C, but he's never talked about, so he's just been "that guy that's apparently a 7C."

EDIT: Stupidly mixed up Cam Talbot and Scott Stajcer. I think Talbot actually has a little bit of a chance, and my vote for the last spot would be a tough decision between him and Missiaen provided Wilson takes #24.

Last edited by Panfork: 07-23-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old
07-23-2011, 02:31 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Has to be Niemi. Nobody else on that list, besides Talbot stands out to me. Niemi has also played, and played well in the AHL at the age of 20. That definitely means something to me. He showed more than anyone on the list remaining. I can see people voting for Ceresnak because he was a recent pick as well. Those three would be the only guys on the list that I like. everyone else gets an HM for me. Grant, Hobbs, and Wilson don't do anything for me TBH.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 02:32 PM
johnnydollaz89*
7 More Wins!!

Send a message via AIM to johnnydollaz89*
My vote is for Niemi

johnnydollaz89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 02:39 PM
eco's bones

Talbot.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 02:46 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1024 View Post
Scoring isn't his game...
If he makes the NHL it'll be as a 4th liner that can drop the gloves, agitate, and chip in on offence occasionally. Prust style game.

He doesn't need to dominate juniors offensively for him to make
it to the NHL as that type of player.

If he was one of the go-to guys on his junior team, he'd have been higher than #8 in scoring. Not saying he has to be #1, but not freakin' #8.

He won't be as good as Prust. He won't even be as good as Kris Newbury.

There are very, very few overagers who go on to make the NHL. Prust is one, ok. But he's the only one who comes to mind in the quarter century of my following hockey. I am sure I'm missing someone, but the point remains that it's very rare.

The fact that he didn't dominate in every aspect of the game as an overager makes it rarer still.

I would much rather go with someone who is the same age who established himself as a quality AHL defenseman.

Old
07-23-2011, 03:00 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Ceresnak. Again, he played on a terrible junior Slovak team that played all its games against men's clubs. They got blown out night in and night out, so it was obviously hard for any of the kids to stand out. Yet, the Rangers saw enough in him that they traded for a pick to get him. That fact, plus his obvious physical tools (6'3" 209), intrigue me.

He's coming over to play for the Peterborough Petes this year (how appropriate, given his name) and I'm very intrigued to hear what reports we get about him now that he's on this side of the pond. I wouldn't be surprised if he moved way up the board by our next ranking.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 04:48 PM
TheRedViper

Quote:
If he was one of the go-to guys on his junior team, he'd have been higher than #8 in scoring. Not saying he has to be #1, but not freakin' #8.

He won't be as good as Prust. He won't even be as good as Kris Newbury.

There are very, very few overagers who go on to make the NHL. Prust is one, ok. But he's the only one who comes to mind in the quarter century of my following hockey. I am sure I'm missing someone, but the point remains that it's very rare.

The fact that he didn't dominate in every aspect of the game as an overager makes it rarer still.

I would much rather go with someone who is the same age who established himself as a quality AHL defenseman.
He WASN'T a go to player, like I said, that wasn't his role. Also never said he'll be as good as Prust, I said his playing style compares to Prust.

Once again, he is NOT an offensive player, he's an agitator/grinder/4th line player. Just because he's an overager doesn't mean he needs to dominate every aspect of the game to make the NHL.

Old
07-23-2011, 04:49 PM
TheRedViper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Ceresnak. Again, he played on a terrible junior Slovak team that played all its games against men's clubs. They got blown out night in and night out, so it was obviously hard for any of the kids to stand out. Yet, the Rangers saw enough in him that they traded for a pick to get him. That fact, plus his obvious physical tools (6'3" 209), intrigue me.

He's coming over to play for the Peterborough Petes this year (how appropriate, given his name) and I'm very intrigued to hear what reports we get about him now that he's on this side of the pond. I wouldn't be surprised if he moved way up the board by our next ranking.
I thought he was playing in the US this year? I saw he got drafted by the Pete's but then there was a report about him playing elsewhere..?

Old
07-23-2011, 04:57 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1024 View Post
He WASN'T a go to player, like I said, that wasn't his role. Also never said he'll be as good as Prust, I said his playing style compares to Prust.

Once again, he is NOT an offensive player, he's an agitator/grinder/4th line player. Just because he's an overager doesn't mean he needs to dominate every aspect of the game to make the NHL.

1. At the junior level, yes, yes, it very much does.

2. My style of play is similar to Ulf Samuelson, so what? It's not about style if you can't come close to being as good.

Old
07-23-2011, 05:05 PM
TheRedViper

Quote:

2. My style of play is similar to Ulf Samuelson, so what? It's not about style if you can't come close to being as good.
No, even at the junior level, he doesn't need to be dominating offensively to have a shot as a grinder.

And at this point, it is about the style of play. It's being used as a comparison to show how he plays the game, and whether that style will be effective at the next level.
Sorry, but you have absolutely NO way of saying that he will NOT be an NHL player just because he didn't dominate as an overager. Are the odds against him? Of course they are, he was a 5th round pick AFTER being passed over the year before, but to say outright he has no chance because you went stat surfing.

Old
07-23-2011, 05:11 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:

Travis Moen, Drafted in 2000.
01-02 Season in the WHL: 71GP, 27P (10G, 17A)

Most Recent Season in the NHL
10-11 Montreal Canadiens: 79GP, 16P (6G, 10A)

Got drafted in the 5th round, like Wilson. He's bigger, too.

Old
07-23-2011, 05:19 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:

You should feel terrible.

And sort of agree, but who knows. Prust scored 111 points in 177 junior games, which isn't fantastic but not horrible, but with guys like this it's really a crapshoot.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 05:46 PM
Jxmarts

Quote:

Callahan, Girardi & Prust were sent back to juniors as overagers. That's 3 regulars on one team. You can also throw in Newbury & Weise, who've seen time in the NHL. It's denifitely not as rare as you think.

Wilson's not a scorer. He's a grinder who was +20 and good enough to play on lines with some of the better players on a very good junior team last year. Guys without skill don't do that. His numbers last year were very comparable to Prust's overage season. I hear he's a good penalty killer too.

You can't just look at scoring totals when you're building a team. If you have a player who adds grit & defense, and can skate well enough to play on a line with with Ryan Strome in juniors, you have a potentially valuable asset. We're talking our 24th best prospect here. Obviously, as a 5th rounder, he's a project. Most 5th rounders are, no matter how many points they score. But there's more to hockey than scoring stats & if you just draft based on who scores the most points, you'll have a very unbalanced team.

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 06:48 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

I take Ceresnak just for his upside. Wilson probably has the best shot at playing in the NHL.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 07:17 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jxmarts View Post
Callahan, Girardi & Prust were sent back to juniors as overagers. That's 3 regulars on one team. You can also throw in Newbury & Weise, who've seen time in the NHL. It's denifitely not as rare as you think.

Callahan just dominated in his overager season. He had almost 2 points per game in the playoffs, and over 50 goals during hte regular season.

Girardi was a top end defenseman in his overager season, and he was also a late-bloomer.

Prust seems that rare exception, but he's just that an exception.

Even a guy like Newbury had almost 100 points in his overager season. (Weise was NOT an overager. Gordie Clark said that he expected Weise to score 20 goals in his rookie season as a 20 year old, so why would they even think of sending him back at the time?)

Consider how little talent Newbury has and how much he was able to dominate as an overager.

People keep saying that Wilson's game is not scoring. But that's not the point. Even if you have marginal ability, if you are older, more experienced and stronger than everyone else, you should be able to outplay someone who's a teenager playing on the second line in juniors. He did not.

This almost eliminates any hope of him being able to score in the NHL at all unless he suddenly takes a massive, unexpected step forward. So at most, we are hoping that he'll be a goon, except that he's not that big.

People let their imagination run wild to justify their love for a big guy. It's not impossible that he'll become a 4th liner, but the odds are overwhelmingly against it.

He was drafted in the 5th round and did not show enough improvement. The Rangers couldn't get a 7th rounder for him at this stage.

Either of the two defensemen and Talbot are more valuable than Wilson.

Old
07-23-2011, 07:29 PM
Jxmarts

Quote:
(Weise was NOT an overager. Gordie Clark said that he expected Weise to score 20 goals in his rookie season as a 20 year old, so why would they even think of sending him back at the time?)
You're right about Weise... He was drafted in his 3rd year of eligibility, but he was never sent back to junior. My mistake on that.

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 08:52 PM
darko

Niemi then Ceresnak

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 02:14 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

The number of votes drops every round, but on the other hand, every vote counts that much more. Please enter your vote everyone.