HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Columbus signs Vinny Prospal

Closed Thread

Old
07-23-2011, 10:05 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

vCash: 500
Good pay rate for Vinny.

Happy to see him sign somewhere. A very good Ranger indeed. Wish him luck in the west, just wasnt enough room for him here on a team thats got a lot of youth building towards something.

Old
07-23-2011, 10:16 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

I like prospal a lot, however I had no desire to bring him back. At all.

Prospals enthusiasm was the only thing that fits this team as currently made up. Despite how many points he put up after returning last year, over a full season his knee problems (read: speed) would be a liability at even strength.

Old
07-23-2011, 11:53 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawelW007 View Post
prediction hubris eh? Who says they break apart the DAC line?
dubi makes too much sense on that top line, perfect fit

Old
07-23-2011, 11:54 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
This is bull****

The one guy i hoped we'd resign and he goes to another team

(obviously this doesn't include dubi or cally)

Old
07-24-2011, 12:10 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheSide View Post
This is bull****

The one guy i hoped we'd resign and he goes to another team

(obviously this doesn't include dubi or cally)

The ONE guy?

seriously? Boyle, Sauer, Anisimov....those you dont care about...the ONE guy you wanted was a 400 year old bad knee'd Vinny Prospal?

Old
07-24-2011, 12:15 AM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I like prospal a lot, however I had no desire to bring him back. At all.

Prospals enthusiasm was the only thing that fits this team as currently made up. Despite how many points he put up after returning last year, over a full season his knee problems (read: speed) would be a liability at even strength.
I agree. Prospal brought great leadership and character to the team. However he would have to put so much effort into going short distances with his knee problems.

Old
07-24-2011, 12:49 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post

The ONE guy?

seriously? Boyle, Sauer, Anisimov....those you dont care about...the ONE guy you wanted was a 400 year old bad knee'd Vinny Prospal?
Forgot about anisimov for a second he's in the young guys pile next to cally and dubi...but outside of that, Yeah i wanted prospal back. Boyle i could care less about, a career of proven offense from prospal >>>>>>>> Boyle's one good year and i like sauer and all but we're more then good on defense we need offense, So yeah, prospal was my first choice after the RFA's.

Old
07-24-2011, 01:18 AM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Goodbye Vinny! Wish you all the best in Columbus. I will miss his goal celebrations

Old
07-24-2011, 01:21 AM
LotsOfHags
Hag You Much

Send a message via AIM to LotsOfHags Send a message via Yahoo to LotsOfHags
He will be missed as a Ranger.

Look at the bright side, the Rangers will be a very quick team. I still feel a big move coming for the Rangers. Not just the Callahan signing, but something else.

We will just have to wait and see what the magician has for us.

Old
07-24-2011, 02:51 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
I don't know man. I'm kinda torn. Wolski's potential is very appealing, and seeing him go and skate with Underhill with Boyle and Del Zotto is very nice. I don't know if he'll ever have the tenacity to become the player that he could. He's a total head-scratcher like Kovaloaf is/was.
Pump the brakes buddy... I know what your saying in that he could be more... but Wolski's 'more' is a great 2nd line winger... Kovalev's more was FRANCHISE PLAYER. His potential was that of a Kovalchuk - a potential star - just couldn't quite put it together..

Old
07-24-2011, 04:28 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Prospal would still be the second best playmaker on the Rangers, bum knee and all, after Richards. Rangers still not gushing with playmaking talent. Stepan is capable of it, but he hasn't shown it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
Pump the brakes buddy... I know what your saying in that he could be more... but Wolski's 'more' is a great 2nd line winger... Kovalev's more was FRANCHISE PLAYER. His potential was that of a Kovalchuk - a potential star - just couldn't quite put it together..
Good post. I would say less Kovalchuk and more Datsyuk/Federov/Semin (better than Semin, though, if both are at their best). What he's best at is playmaking, when he plays smart, which he clearly knows how to do. He's displayed that he is not only capable of it, but executes it with the best of them. A joy to watch when he decides to play. Just an absolute pleasure. Very frustrating player.

Old
07-24-2011, 05:18 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheSide View Post
Forgot about anisimov for a second he's in the young guys pile next to cally and dubi...but outside of that, Yeah i wanted prospal back. Boyle i could care less about, a career of proven offense from prospal >>>>>>>> Boyle's one good year and i like sauer and all but we're more then good on defense we need offense, So yeah, prospal was my first choice after the RFA's.
How you can value prospal over sauer is beyond me. Even a young, big, improving boyle is better than a deteriorating Prospal.

I love the guy and his on-ice personality but his career is on the downswing, it was time to part ways.

Old
07-24-2011, 05:37 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Kovalev has over 400 NHL goals almost 600 helpers and 1,000 points. Nevermind a cup and an Olympic gold.

Too bad Kovy never put it all together to get that Hockey career going for him eh.

Old
07-24-2011, 06:24 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Dispatch: Prospal has three scoring bonuses written into the deal which could total $850K. Salary cap hit will be $2.6M.
https://twitter.com/#!/Aportzline/st...63259320070144

Quote:
Vinny Prospal- One year, 1.75 million. Bonus Goal/Point Scoring, Playoff Qualification, Playoff Round Won; No Move; Modified No-Trade
https://twitter.com/#!/Buccigross/st...49800142835712

Old
07-24-2011, 07:40 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Prospal would still be the second best playmaker on the Rangers, bum knee and all, after Richards. Rangers still not gushing with playmaking talent. Stepan is capable of it, but he hasn't shown it yet.

Good post. I would say less Kovalchuk and more Datsyuk/Federov/Semin (better than Semin, though, if both are at their best). What he's best at is playmaking, when he plays smart, which he clearly knows how to do. He's displayed that he is not only capable of it, but executes it with the best of them. A joy to watch when he decides to play. Just an absolute pleasure. Very frustrating player.
At first I thought this was about Wolski at first. I blame the fact that it's 7 in the morning.

Also, going off on a tangent for a second, Kovy was still a very good player all in all, even though everyone knows he he could've been so much more. He's scored at a very slightly less than .8 PPG pace for his career, .8 pre lockout and like .76 post lockout as an aging 30 year old, but it seems some people have stopped acknowledging that, ignoring what he SHOULD've been, he still was a very good scorer.

I don't think he was comparing talent levels when he mentioned Kovy. Wolski has shown he can be an above average scorer but has been average mostly. Kovy has shown he could've been a superstar but instead he was just an above average scorer. The comparison does make sense.

Old
07-24-2011, 08:33 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Considering how bad the PP was and how he had previous chemistry with Gaborik and Richards, i thought bringing him back was a slam dunk.

The knee concern didnt bother me at all. He was fine down the stretch last season and had a whole summer to strengthen it.

Oh well. Columbus is either going to be kinda good or extremely disappointing.

Old
07-24-2011, 08:55 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Yeah, I wanted Vinny back, but not at $2.6M. Good for him though.

Old
07-24-2011, 09:19 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Prospal will get bonus money if he reaches certain scoring marks, likely in the realm of 20 goals or 50 points. If the Jackets miss the Stanley Cup playoffs, the bonus is cut in half. If they advance to the second round of the playoffs, it's increased.
http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/live/...s.html?sid=101

Old
07-24-2011, 09:24 AM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Well, I know who I'll be rooting for in the west this season.

I was an advocate of bringing Prospal back, but for $2.6M, I'd rather not.

07-24-2011, 10:44 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Good for Vinny. He benefitted from CLB's injury situation to get a bigger contract.

$1.75MM PLUS bonuses? That contract is going to wind up as a $2MM+ cap hit.

No way that fits under the Rangers' cap if he was the 12th Forward, much less the 15th.

Besides, the goal all along was for the solid, serviceable vets to fall off one-by-one as the core developed. Feds got the last such spot this year. He'll likely be gone next.

Works out for all parties.
The cap hit is a bit much, but in what universe would Prospal have been a "12th, much less 15th forward?" Would MUCH rather have Prospal giving it a go than guys like Avery, Christensen, MZA - and, to a lesser extent - Prust, Boyle, Wolski, and Fedotenko.

The part of the core that is developing are the ones that have nailed down roster spots - noone else is poised to take a full-time spot and, perhaps more importantly, noone could slot into that top 6 right now.

Old
07-24-2011, 11:28 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
The cap hit is a bit much, but in what universe would Prospal have been a "12th, much less 15th forward?" Would MUCH rather have Prospal giving it a go than guys like Avery, Christensen, MZA - and, to a lesser extent - Prust, Boyle, Wolski, and Fedotenko.

The part of the core that is developing are the ones that have nailed down roster spots - noone else is poised to take a full-time spot and, perhaps more importantly, noone could slot into that top 6 right now.
I understand - and if we had had the option of UNsigning some players I would agree with you. But the fact of the matter is that Christensen, MZA and Avery were all already under contract for this year, so yes, he would've been the 15th forward added to the mix, simply due to the fact that we have 14 under contract already.

Regardless, Vinny Prospal at $2.6MM does not work under the Rangers' salary cap structure. Let's be honest - he benefited from the fact that Huselius got injured and CLB essentially had to get him. Once that happened, there was no chance he was coming back to Broadway.

Old
07-24-2011, 11:32 AM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
Wolski's potential is higher than a 2nd liner. He could easily be a 1st liner if he didn't float all game long.

Obviously, I still agree with you on this, though. Kovalev could have been an elite level player. Wolski could be a 1st liner, but I don't think he could ever reach a PPG pace every season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Kovalev has over 400 NHL goals almost 600 helpers and 1,000 points. Nevermind a cup and an Olympic gold.

Too bad Kovy never put it all together to get that Hockey career going for him eh.
The point was that he could have been more. Only floaters go from 50pt seasons to 90pt+ seasons back to 50pt seasons in their prime.

Old
07-24-2011, 12:15 PM
iamthewalrus

thats a shame. good luck to him, provided a first line center to a team that really didnt have one

Old
07-24-2011, 12:19 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
thats a shame. good luck to him, provided a first line center to a team that really didnt have one
He is probably going to be used on the wing, and as much as I love Vinny, he is no first line center

Old
07-24-2011, 12:35 PM
OverTheCap

On breakup day, I remember Torts expressed concern about Prospal's knee holding up, and that they have to talk to his doctors in assessing whether to bring him back. It's entirely possible that the Rangers know something we don't and it's only a matter of time before his knee injury flares up again.

That being said, I wish him good health in the future and hopefully he can help Columbus. Vinny was a good transitional player for us and his enthusiasm was infectious.

Closed Thread