HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers will not buyout Wojtek Wolski

Old
07-24-2011, 05:39 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Rangers will not buyout Wojtek Wolski

Quote:
Blue Jackets, who have lost top-six winger Kristian Huselius (torn pectoral muscle) for months, appear to be waiting to see whether the Rangers buy out Wojtek Wolski following the resolution of Ryan Callahan’s contract negotiations, but sources report that doesn’t appear to be in the Blueshirts’ blueprint.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...#ixzz1T17txaSW

Columbus signed Vinny Prospal yesterday to a 1 year deal worth $1.75M in guaranteed money and $850,000 in potential bonuses. $2.6M cap number. Brooks probably filed his Slap Shots column yesterday morning and didn't update it after the Prospal signing.

The Rangers get a 2nd buyout period after their last arbitration case is settled.

SPC exhibit. Paragraph 13

Quote:
(ii) For Clubs who have Club or Player elected Salary Arbitration filings
pursuant to Article 12, within the forty-eight (48) hour period beginning on the third day
following the later of: (i) the Club's receipt of its last salary arbitration award; or (ii) settlement
of its last case (provided such award was received or such settlement occurred after 7:00 p.m.
New York time; awards or settlements that occurred or were received after 7:00 p.m. New York
time will be deemed to have occurred or received the following business day for purposes of this
provision).
Brooks had written 5 weeks ago about Wolski not getting bought out.

Last edited by RangerBoy: 07-24-2011 at 07:55 AM.
RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 06:10 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Well since it looks like we're not looking for another potential top 6 player it makes sense.

Really hope he has a good season.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 06:16 AM
xxxZENxxx

I expect Wolski to have a good season. There is too much positive influence in the locker room for him not to. I thought he played well at times last season, so it is all about building consistency in his game. There is no denying the insane talent this kid has.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 06:20 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
I expect Wolski to have a good season. There is too much positive influence in the locker room for him not to. I thought he played well at times last season, so it is all about building consistency in his game. There is no denying the insane talent this kid has.
I don't think he was bad last season, and I wasn't an advocate of buying him out, but if he's going to play in the top 6 i'm going to be disappointed if he doesn't step his game up to the next level. He could provide a good finesse scoring dimension to the hardworking Arty-Cally line if Dubi plays with Richards, but he could also just as easily be a subpar defensive liability out there, too.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 06:36 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Well since it looks like we're not looking for another potential top 6 player it makes sense.

Really hope he has a good season.
I think Glen is/has been looking, just not much there... If anything at all.

WW may get his shot by default but he's making an effort, hopefully (Underhill is a good start) & maybe just maybe he'll realize that he has a real opportunity to make something of himself and by extension this hockey club.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 06:41 AM
SomebodySaveKreider

Might as well keep him.

If he finally get his act together, we'll have a really nice player, if not we could probably trade him at the deadline or just let him walk at the end of the year.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 06:43 AM
JeffMangum
Debaser

Not surprising.

Given the lack of LW depth, buying out Wolski makes little sense. Give him a chance with Anisimov/Callahan in a contract year, and he could put up some decent numbers. He's not ideal as a top-6 LWer, but he isn't the worst option in the world, either.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 06:47 AM
free0717

If they were planning on getting rid of WW, I think they could have had a taker @ the draft. With all these floor teams needing to add $$$$ to there payroll and with WW only having a 1 year deal, one of the floor teams would have taken him.

I believe management sees a correctable flaw to his game. It is probably in his skating. I see he has been working with Barbara Underhill this summer.

If he can get his form back he had in Colorado, he would be the perfect compliment to Richards and Gaborik.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 06:57 AM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

I actually thought he was one of the best players of the Washington series. He stood out as one of the more noticeable guys in a good way IIRC. Cant just give up on such a talented RFA and let him go for nothing. Hopefully he has a good year and can be retained as a legit top 6 forward or moved for assets.

MugatuNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 07:03 AM
darrenturcotte#8

To me this is a good decision. Its a risk/reward situation. Wolski has 1 yr left on his deal. We have the cap room this year to keep him. There aren't any free agents that would be an upgrade if they created the space by buying him out. He's still young so any sign of hope means he has value. They might as well see what he has in camp and if he gets beat out by a surprise young guy, great. There is no benefit to buying him out at this point and I bet they could get a pick at some point for him if they try to get one.

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 07:37 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

People are so quick to write off EC and Wolski, but forget how many shootouts this team won because of them. last time I checked, a SOW is two points and as big a failure the playoffs were, we dont qualify without them.

Wolski is still young and I can see him have a 25/50 season.

Plus it's his walk year.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 07:48 AM
Esa 10

Of course not. Why would they?

The Rangers save cap space both this year and next by sending Wolski down to Hartford rather than rushing into a buy-out now. That's under a worst case scenario, where he's awful in training camp and nobody will even give him a shot off waivers.

Let's see what Wolski does with a full camp under his belt, familiar with Torts' system. There's no one left on the market to spend his money on. The Rangers keep trading good assets (Tutin, Korpikoski) to infuse pure skill into the line-up. Obviously they feel like it's something lacking. If he's playing offensively at the level he showed prior to last year, this team can easily compensate for the other shortcomings in his game. These moves were never intended to net an all-around player. Let's not forget, he's just a year removed from a 65 point season. That's solid first line numbers in the modern NHL.

Last edited by Esa 10: 07-24-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 07:57 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Not a Wolski fan, but it makes sense to keep him at this point.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 08:14 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Keep him.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 08:16 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Good. I've been an advocate for keeping Wolski. If he returns to ~50 point form, then great. If he sucks, he is a RFA after this season and the Rangers will let him walk.

Last edited by Stugots: 07-24-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 08:17 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Wolski will be a group II next summer with arbitration rights. $4M qualifying offer. The Rangers can let him go after this season by not qualifying him. If Wolski has a 23 goal 65 point season like he had in 2009-10,it makes things interesting for the Rangers. Wolski can become a group III in 2013 if the current rules remain in the next CBA.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 08:37 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Can't say I like Wolski but he's our best option right now.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 08:53 AM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Good. Ride out this year and hope he catches fire at some point

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 09:17 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
Not a Wolski fan, but it makes sense to keep him at this point.
Again ww makes sensein the top 6. There is a few mil in cap space because at this pr they can send a duke down and carry 13 fs. Dealin ec is fine but doesn't save much as he's the spare f to me and under a mil

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 09:41 AM
CH2

Brooks isn't breaking any new ground, once Wolski was not bought out in June, there was no chance he would be bought out now. If he struggles in the season, send him down and eat the cash.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 09:50 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

If Wolski stays and Erixon makes the team, that would mean one of Avery, EC, or Zuc starts in Hartford. It gets more complicated with Del Zotto, Valentenko, and Hagelin too.

As for Wolski, he's still young enough and has shown that his potential can be met. He had a few really good years in Colorado and also after the trade deadline with Phoenix.

He has a very good skill set, very good shot, good size, and a very good pair of wheels which might even improve some more considering he's working with Barbara Underhill.

His problems have been documented; inconsistent and he sometimes checks with the stick too much or avoids initiation with other players.

The point is, he doesn't have to be a Perry, Brown, or Byfuglien and just run people over, but if he can get at least somewhat more involved with contact and battles and improve his hustle just slightly, he's going to be a very effective player.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 09:53 AM
beastly115

No point in buying him out. At this point, he's a low risk high reward player. If he pans out, awesome. If not, we let him walk next year or trade him during the season.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 10:00 AM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

The most annoyingly frustrating thing about Wolski to me is that he has an amazing skating ability. You'd never believe it, but he can definitely move out on the ice. I remember watching him closer to the beginning of his career, when he was in Colorado, and occasionally you'd just see him go from not moving to flying down the ice in an instant. He's not as fast as Gabby, but you could argue nobody is.

But in his time with the Rangers last season, I never really saw any examples of that speed. It's not a matter of him losing it, he just literally never skates hard. It's extremely frustrating to watch, because if he made more use of his great speed, there were definitely chances last year where he could have made a breakout, or a breakaway.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 10:11 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
The most annoyingly frustrating thing about Wolski to me is that he has an amazing skating ability. You'd never believe it, but he can definitely move out on the ice. I remember watching him closer to the beginning of his career, when he was in Colorado, and occasionally you'd just see him go from not moving to flying down the ice in an instant. He's not as fast as Gabby, but you could argue nobody is.

But in his time with the Rangers last season, I never really saw any examples of that speed. It's not a matter of him losing it, he just literally never skates hard. It's extremely frustrating to watch, because if he made more use of his great speed, there were definitely chances last year where he could have made a breakout, or a breakaway.
The hope is working with Barbara Underhill will get him to use thst speed as a primary weapon.

He doesn't have to be super physical and do all the board work, just keep his feet moving every second of every shift and he'd be such a pain the #%#@ to play against. We saw a little of it last year.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 10:16 AM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
The hope is working with Barbara Underhill will get him to use thst speed as a primary weapon.

He doesn't have to be super physical and do all the board work, just keep his feet moving every second of every shift and he'd be such a pain the #%#@ to play against. We saw a little of it last year.
I had forgotten that they have Underhill working with him now. I'm wondering if maybe Wolski's skating tires him out easily? Maybe he's doing something wrong that makes him work too hard on his skates to reach a high speed. Doubtful, but I'm reaching for straws here to try to pretend he's not just a huge floater. In any case, I guess we'll have to wait for next season to see if his off-season training can make him move his feet more. He'd be an amazingly effective player if only he'd keep moving. He has just as much talent as Gaborik when it comes to working the puck through small areas.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote